No more manners

We go to wdw 2x a year. I rarely see men stand up and offer a woman their seat on the bus. Is it just me or are men lacking manners. My father would have slapped me to the other side of the bus if I would have not given a lady or child a seat on the bus.

In addition to my other post, I must also say that I find it rude when people judge other people's manners without knowing their situation.

If someone NEEDS to sit on the bus, they need to wait for the next bus if there isn't room on the one that just pulled up. This isn't hard. After a long day at the park on my own feet, I'm not going to give up a seat, and I'm going to wait for the next bus that has a seat available. Because after a long day at the park, on my feet, I want to sit. I would never expect someone else who has just also been on their feet all day to offer me a seat. And I am a woman.

Yeah I mean, as a young person, who didn't really live in the time before "times changed," I can say that I don't really expect this and don't really care. If I was standing and anyone offered me their seat, I probably would politely decline and tell them I was fine, unless I was literally about to faint. They have as much right to a seat as I do. The elderly, those who are visibly sick or disabled, little kids who have been standing all day? I might offer them my seat. But that's everyone's responsibility, sort of. That's not a male specific thing, nor should it be. Although I do consider myself to fall on the feminist side of the spectrum, I'm not insulted when men (or women, etc, etc) offer me their seat. I think it's a very nice gesture. I'm not about to spit at them or demand to know if it's because I'm a woman. I just don't expect it, that's all. Because in my mind, why would I?

Yeah I mean, as a young person, who didn't really live in the time before "times changed," I can say that I don't really expect this and don't really care. If I was standing and anyone offered me their seat, I probably would politely decline and tell them I was fine, unless I was literally about to faint. They have as much right to a seat as I do. The elderly, those who are visibly sick or disabled, little kids who have been standing all day? I might offer them my seat. But that's everyone's responsibility, sort of. That's not a male specific thing, nor should it be. Although I do consider myself to fall on the feminist side of the spectrum, I'm not insulted when men (or women, etc, etc) offer me their seat. I think it's a very nice gesture. I'm not about to spit at them or demand to know if it's because I'm a woman. I just don't expect it, that's all. Because in my mind, why would I?

I agree with you even though I am from the time before times changed and I believe in equal rights but don't consider myself a feminist. I am a very hard working and respected professional (a woman working 35+ years for a global Japanese company) who believes a person's competence and character is what counts, not things like gender, race, etc. I appreciate when men (or women) hold a door for me, but I don't consider myself inferior or needing their assistance if they don't. I certainly am not offended when they don't extend those sorts of nice gestures. I really wish people would stop judging others without any consideration of their challenges.

As a women I deeply appreciate the manners given to me and yes I do expect it. Do i get it? Sometimes ..doors opened,seats offered and other thoughtful gestures...sometimes no..I am raising my son and daughters to be observant and offer the same to others...I am very proud that they now do this with no prompting any more. I too am often disappointed and dismayed at others attitudes of ignorance and selfishness...because that is just what it is...selfishness! A little kindness goes a long way .
I'm having trouble reconciling the reference to others being ignorant and selfish with then saying a little kindness goes a long way. Do you find ýour judgment to be kind?

Last edited:
I don't agree that poor manners are ..for a male not to give up a seat to a female. Everyone is exhausted, everyone knows that the bus rides may leave you without a seat.
If a male gave up his seat to Every female, He'd honestly never get to sit. I just think that's silly.

That being said... elderly, moms carrying a sleeping child and anyone with visible issues whether male or female are another story, our family typically offers up our seats for those people

We go to WDW yearly, and because I know I will always need a seat due to a disability, I have never understood why those who complain about someone not giving up their seat to them don't do what I always do. RENT A CAR. You will always have a seat and one less thing to complain about.

We were there last month. Six full days in the park and park hopped every day and used the buses every trip to and from park. Twice out of the whole week did we see anyone offer a seat to someone else. Both times the people who offered their seats were women in their mid- thirties. One to a pregnant lady and one to a mom holding a toddler.

Why should men offer up their seats to women? Back in the day, women's clothing/shoes wasn't as comfortable as men's. Today, women are wearing the same comfy clothing as men.

We were there last month. Six full days in the park and park hopped every day and used the buses every trip to and from park. Twice out of the whole week did we see anyone offer a seat to someone else. Both times the people who offered their seats were women in their mid- thirties. One to a pregnant lady and one to a mom holding a toddler.

While I think it is great someone gave them a seat, I have to wonder, why did they put themselves into that spot to begin with? My next trip to WDW I have a car rented, because there is no way I want my dad standing on a bus (and at 77 he would still give his seat up) and know it is my responsibility to see that he is taken care of. If someone is at WDW with another family member who should not stand on a bus, then they need to have a talk and do something about it. Letting someone you love get on a standing room only bus when they shouldn't be standing screams "I expect you to care more for my loved one than I do".

Travel with very clearly disabled DS often. Rarely is he offered a seat.

I have learned that I should always be prepared to put him on a pole then straddle him to try to hold him up OR wait for next bus. We try to wait for next bus, or if we know we will be leaving a time with crowds ... we drive. It is up to us to make our own rides safe.

[.taking up more space than you need while others stand../QUOTE]

This is the only one that bugs me - someone putting a purse or bag on a seat then someone else has to stand!

Really? I am a 70 year old disabled woman and people have been offering up their seat to me for years - even when I didn't really think that I needed it. I often did not accept the offer unless I really was having a bad day. I can stand okay. My disability has to do with walking. I'd rather stand and let a person with a small child sit.

I agree with remarks that this is a subject that will really never be concluded. We probably will just have our own personal guidelines to what will constitute giving up seats or not. I can be honest and admit right now that I do for preggies, disabled, and small children who outnumber their parents because then at that point, the parent loses control of keeping their child safe. I've been there, done that and had my little ones tripping all over the place during sudden stops and turns. I didn't expect anyone to stand for me. I do have to comment about "waiting for the next bus" suggestions...sometimes I've tried that and between getting burnt from the drivers loading from both front and back doors simultaneously (lowering my odds of getting a seat even though I was toward the front of the line) or the last minute ECVs that come up, that isn't always the solution either. Oh well, I was a Disney and survived, can't complain.

I guess I had the opposite experience. We were there a month ago and saw multiple instances of people offering up there seats. Sometimes it was men giving up their seat, sometimes it was women, and sometimes it was parents nudging their kids out of their seats. There were times when my family was the recipient (kids sleeping on me), and others when we were able to pay it forward. It is just common decency to offer your seat if another person is differently abled (elderly, pregnant, disabled, burdened). Simply being female does not satisfy that criteria.

We go to wdw 2x a year. I rarely see men stand up and offer a woman their seat on the bus. Is it just me or are men lacking manners. My father would have slapped me to the other side of the bus if I would have not given a lady or child a seat on the bus.
I am 65 and a disabled Vet. I always give up a seat to some one who needs it. Man or woman.

I as an able bodied woman stood on many busses on our last trip in September which was fine. Several times people offered their seat to one of my children, and once to me when I was holding a sleeping child. It was very kind and appreciated.

We stay offsite and rent a car at Disney, so I can't comment on the buses specifically, but as for the lack of manners in men? Haven't seen that at all. On our last trip, we boarded a very full monorail from the Magic Kingdom, heading back to the TTC at the end of our trip, and there was a college basketball team on-board. Several of the young men immediately stood up and offered their seats to myself and my very able-bodied 6 and 8 year old daughters. Even when I politely declined, they remained standing, until I told my girls they could sit down. I don't think anyone should expect that kind of treatment (I certainly don't) but this happens all the time, in my experience.

Now, if you want to talk about lack of manners, walk into a women's bathroom at Disney. Far less courtesy there, as far as I am concerned.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter