No need to use the Rennervate Spell this Christmas..update 5/11

momabaarjo

Rather Sail Away with Mickey than Run Now
I thought I would also post my TR on this board, since sometimes it is hard to find TRs that include USO and DC on the Disney TR Board!

A Reader's Caution: Cliffhangers, Tips, Possible Spoilers and Picture Heavy

From Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Professor McGonagall: Well, thank you for that assessment, Mr Weasley. Perhaps it would be more useful if I were to transfigure Mr Potter and yourself into a pocket watch. That way, one of you might be on time.​

For all the non Harry Potter Fans, the spell Rennervate means to "wake up or energize" which I did not need to use to get my 3 children out of bed to enjoy early entry into WWofHP this Christmas (we arrived Christmas Day), although by the end of the day we could use the spell for some much needed energy. This TR begins on Chrismas morning with a surprise present waiting...12 day trip to Orlando starting immeditately! The first part of the trip (December 25-30) will have us staying at the Royal Pacific Resort (RPR) at Universal with a 4 day park-to-park ticket, including 1 day at Discovery Cove swimming with the dolphins!

03f8147c.jpg

Here is my family

IMG_9055.jpg

Here are my 2 Harry Potter Fans (Ab and Boo)...both have read the entire series of books (Ab read the entire series during a Christmas vacation when she was in 5th grade).

Here is a link to the entire TR (staring at page 1)

Curiosity is not a sin… But we should exercise caution with our curiosity… yes, indeed.
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
- Quote by Albus Dumbledore​

Links to Chapters that include Universal Studios and Discovery Cove

Bye Bye Plane, Hello MCO
From Snow to Palm Trees in 8 Hours...Paradise!
Who Cares About Santa When You Have...
Swim In, You Know Like A Drive In but with a Pool
How EARLY Is Early Entry?
It's Like Stepping Inside My Imagination...Everything I Dreamed of and More
Are You a Muggle?
The Wand Chooses...

Dervish & Banges Together with Diagon Alley? A Fan Rebells
Parseling Our Way Into Hogwarts
From Book to Movie, to AMAZING
Really, Motion Sickness?
Don't Forget to Bow
A Visit with Moaning Myrtle
A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
"Remember, these visits to Hogsmeade village are a privilege..."
A Round of Butter Beer for All
Not Platform 9 3/34...But Still Cool
Jokes & Sweets, A Boy's 2 Favorite Things: Part 1
Jokes & Sweets, A Boy's 2 Favorite Things: Part 2
Breakfast Amongst the House Elves
Look Back at July's Dinner & Movie Harry Potter Marathon
Begging, Bribing, and Crowds...OH MY!
Explosion of Christmas & Seuss
One Fish, Two Fish, Wet Sis, Mad Sis
I Need a Hero
Everybody Loves a Hero, Right?
Step Right Up
How Wet Can You Get?
Goo's Alter Ego Emerges
IOA Touring Plan (Almost) Completed
Which Way Do I Steer?
Not a Cheeseburger in Paradise, Not Even Close
Islands of Adventure, Adventure in the Dark
Sunrise Over Hogsmeade
2nd Time is the Charm
Decisions of a Teenage Tightwad
A Case of Child Abuse
Mother Knows Best
Port of Exit
Magic...Mirror...on...the wa...
I'll Be Back
ET Text Home
From Space Aliens to Sea Creatures
Major Attitude Adjustment Needed
Wet Suits Required
How to Snorkel & Keep Your Hair Dry
A Happy Whistle, That's a Dolphin Saying Hello
Now I Can Get My Hair Wet
Hungry Tummies & New Adventures
An Afternoon of Snorkeling & Floating
A Seuss Makeover & an Angry God
Twenty Questions & Where's the Bread
Ride Em', Err Cowboy
How Many Times Can You Ride FJ with a Moaning Boo?
A Fond Farewell to Harry
One Last Time Around to All the Islands
A Grinchy Breakfast
Happy Whoildays
Minus One
From East Coast to West Coast and Back Again
Everybody Loves a Parade, Right?

Welcome...hope you enjoy! I see you are headed to USO this summer...I love this place!

Dervish and Banges & Diagon Alley Together...A Fan Rebellls​

Was I successful in getting them out of Dervish and Banges?

dervishandbangessign-1.jpg

bandbangesstore-1.jpg

Usually there is a cart set up here and a podium from which you can buy HP postage stamps and postcards, plus get the Hogsmeade PO stamp.

WWHP12.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

dandbwindow-1.jpg

dandbcaldrons-1.jpg

Well before I answer that, let's take a look around the shop (which is adjacent to the Owl Post...it has 3 entrances, one being directly from the Owl post, which was my demise). In the Harry Potter books Dervish and Banges is a shop in Hogsmeade that sells and repairs magical instruments, including Sneakoscopes. It is located at the end of High Street (but in the WWofHP one of the entrances is directly from Diagon Alley...don't get Ab started on this error and it sells all things that a wizard attending Hogswarts will need from uniforms to brooms).

dandbtrophies-1.jpg

dandbbrooms-1.jpg

IMAG2089.jpg

dandbbook2-1.jpg

dandbglobe-1.jpg

danbbroomflying-1.jpg

So did I get everyone rounded up and out the door? Well not completely, it took me about 15 minutes (okay, look at your watch and breathe...WWofHP is still not open for the general public for another 15 minutes)...there were lots of protests and me promises we will come back. Before we leave the area we take a look at the owl roost above us (called the Owlery). This is a great place in summer in the shade with lots of benches to take a rest...but we had no time for rest only a quick glance into the rafters...

roosttower-1.jpg

roostbuilding-1.jpg

owlroost-1.jpg

roostowls-1.jpg

and then a peek down Diagon Alley (which Ab will tell you does not belong in Hogsmeade, with my rely you are right maybe when they expand WWofHP they will do it right...JK did not have a problem, so should you?).

diagonalley-1.jpg

diagonalleyopposite-1.jpg

I finally got everyone headed towards Hogwarts Castle,

1hogwartsinthemist.jpg

where the sign for Forbidden Journey now reads a wait time of...:scared1:

Parseling Our Way Into Hogwarts​

...where the sign posts a 20 minute wait for Forbidden Journey…that is a wait time I can handle (trust me, we saw a wait time later in the day and week of 210 minutes...yes that is almost 3 hours IN LINE) . The kids focus back their attention to the castle above them and the ohhhhs and ahhhs begin again.

19sun.jpg

1vertical.jpg

3sign.jpg

2hphogwartstatue.jpg

2hogwartsentrance.jpg

2entranceinto.jpg

We quickly walk through the entrance...

IMAG2150.jpg

and I am relieved that we can by pass the locker area with our backpack still on Jeff’s back…we are doing rider swap so nothing has to be stored, no messing with the DREADED-EVIL UNIVERSAL RIDE LOCKERS (and trust me from personal experience THEY ARE EVIL, not to mention as much of a pain as Draco)! As we parsel (for non HP fans...parsel is a snake) our way through the bottom chambers of the castle...

4queqe.jpg

Mirror of Erised
DSC01765_0014.jpg

DSC00603.jpg

I am amazed at all the twists and turns…they must really be expecting a large crowd in a few hours to have the line already set up like this, until we finally reach the greenhouse...

OgAAAFBX0RNx3xoQZGQp18L2Gdn-yjOT0fzD-FV3dCTGCtI4aHTQaHlZwnYurRfGrI9cTtxatn6NgC26THdYOpDPKhUAm1T1UD-PLEBszffOlVfvKp1urCq1Igrn-1.jpg

HogwartsGreenhouse.jpg

6plant.jpg

Mandrakes

7garden.jpg

Even though the ride board said 20 minutes, no time did our line ever stop because of waiting for crowds (just stopping when going through the castle to take in the theming)…we just kept moving. Normally, I would not mind if we did not stop but this was our first time into the castle and I wanted the kids to enjoy each room. There was a lot of times that we simply told people to go around us. Finally, the moment is here...

CastleEntrancefromGreenhouse.jpg

Really enjoying your report. Thanks for posting!

Welcome, glad to have you come along. I see you were at WWofHP for pre-opening...I got to be there on official grand opening day, but later in the day...got there as fast as I could!

So excited (and crossing my fingers) that the rumors are true about and expansion!

From Book, to Movie, to AMAZING

...the moment we step inside Hogwart's!!! Will my 2 Pot-heads love the things they are about to see and be blown away?

Architect of Hogwarts Statue
10hpstatueinto10hogwarts.jpg

(He is the one who designed Hogwarts)

House Points Display
9hpwhoiswinning.jpg

...Go Gryffindor!

Secret Entrance into Dumbledore's Office
11secretentrance.jpg

Portrait Hall
12protraits.jpg

Dumbledore's Office
13dumoffice.jpg

13dumbldorecloseup.jpg

The man himself appears to us and warns us about our journey...

IMG_1074.jpg

Defense of the Dark Arts Classroom
14potionsroom.jpg

hpclassroomwithrules.jpg

hpclassroom3.jpg

14skelton.jpg

14kidshort.jpg

Look who appears before our eyes in the classroom and shares a few secrets about the journey (err, ride that lays ahead for us muggles).

14potionssnowing.jpg

Make sure you stick around in this classroom and the 3 young wizards will make it snow!

Hallway Bulletin Board and Locker
15newspaper.jpg

IMG_1083.jpg

Fat Lady Portrait
15fastlady.jpg

yes, that is how she is referred to in both the books and the movies...she guards the entrance into the Gryffindor Hall.

15darkwindow.jpg

After making our way through the various rooms, we reach the...

x16sortinghatvertical.jpg

16sortinghatlong.jpg

Who does not tell us which house we will be sorted into, but directions about boarding the ride. We make our way towards the front of the line and continue to prepare Goo that he is not riding…been preparing him since I began planning the trip. He is disappointed and when we reach the front Jeff takes him to the child swap room...

18childswap.jpg

where he gets to watch a Harry Potter movie. Ab, Boo and I head into the Great Hall...

greathall.jpg

where we are loaded onto our broomsticks...

Enchanted_bench.jpg

and whisked away into the books.

Picture15.png

I am not going to post spoilers here about the ride, but just let me tell you it is AMAZING! Forbidden Journey is truly a step above ANY ride that I have ever been on! Between the feeling of a hanging coaster (without the drops), the visual 4D story unfolding on the screens in front of you, and the well done theming/props/sets as you move through the story...AMAZING! All too quickly our ride comes to an end…Ab and Boo are hooked. They too thought it was the best thing ever and excited to ride again with dad. We make our way to the child swap room with Ab and Boo telling dad all about the ride as they head back to be whisked away again into the World of Harry Potter. Will Jeff love the ride as much as we do?

Really, Motion Sickness?​

Time flies rather quickly as Goo and I wait for them to return and before we know it they are back. Well, how did you like it, I ask thinking he would love it as much as we did. However, Jeff is not looking very good. Did I happen to mention there are warnings everywhere about motion sickness and this ride? Guess who is sick!? Really, I think to myself that this ride got to him…never once in all my planning did I think anyone in my family would succumb to this ride. I should have known, Jeff has a very delicate stomach in the morning due to his sinus…and it takes till midmorning on many days until he feels well. What was I thinking putting him on this ride so early in the morning on an empty stomach. We head through Flitches Emporium of Confiscated Goods not even stopping to look around, next stop was fresh air for dad and someplace to sit down while Ab and Boo are comparing their favorite parts of the ride and trying to explain it all to Goo. Luckily we walk right out and find an empty bench. Knowing that Jeff will not be touring anymore for a while, I tell him just to stay here while we get Goo onto a ride, the Hippogriff whose exit is near the bench. He is very happy with this idea and off the 4 of us head to the Flight of the Hippogriff...

1hipposign.jpg

For those non-HP fans following along let me explain what a Hippogriff is a magical creature that has the front legs, wings, and head of a giant eagle and the body, hind legs and tail of a horse. It is very similar to another mythical creature, the Griffin, with the horse rear replacing the lion rear. Hippogriffs have cruel, steel-coloured beaks and large, brilliantly orange eyes. The talons on their front legs are half a foot long and appear deadly.

BloodyChicken.jpg

as we make our way towards the ride we encounter Hagrid's Garden and Hut tucked deep into the lush theming,

3kidsathut.jpg

2haggardsgarden.jpg

IMG_0479.jpg

which is so appropriate in this area because Hagrid is the gamekeeper at Hogwart's (and one of my personal favorite characters) and has tamed a Hippogriff.

hagrid-4.jpg

As Goo approaches the ride his steps become hesitant as he realizes how high above him the tracks go and how fast it appears!

6ride.jpg

UNIVERSALIOA004.jpg

The moment to make the decision comes quicker than he would like (the one of 2 places in the WWofHP where the Universal Express is valid)

4ridequeue.jpg

100_1733-1.jpg

now the question is will he actually get on?

Don't Forget to Bow

So Goo had a decision, would he finally get on his first ride in the WWofHP, the Flight of the hippogriff? Yes, of course he would...did you have any doubt (I did because we basically had to force on the ride). The safety bars lower and we leave the loading area and approach

5hippogriff.jpg

the Hippogriff remembering Hagrid's warning...

"Easily offended, hippogriffs are. Don't never insult one, 'cause it might be the last thing yeh do."
—Rubeus Hagrid talking to the class about Hippogriffs​

and just for fun follow his instruction...When Humans approach Hippogriffs, a proper etiquette must be maintained to avoid danger. Hippogriffs are intensely proud creatures, and an individual must show proper respect by bowing to them and waiting for them to bow in return before approaching. Eye contact should be maintained at all times without a single blink. The Hippogriff should be allowed to make the first move as it's polite.
We make our bow and it is up we go...Goo with a tight grip on the lap bar and sitting as close as he can to me without being in my lap!

IMG_0475.jpg

Here are some pictures I took of Hogwarts from the ride.​

7view2.jpg

6view1.jpg

Before I know it the ride has come to an end​
8ending.jpg

and Goo has released his death grip, is smiling from ear to ear, begging to go again...but first we better check on dad!

LOVING your report! We hope to go this summer. One question: without giving away too much about FJ can you please tell me if there are alot of snakes and do they appear to be coming at you? I really want to ride with my husband and 14 year old son, but am terrified of snakes!

LOVING your report! We hope to go this summer. One question: without giving away too much about FJ can you please tell me if there are alot of snakes and do they appear to be coming at you? I really want to ride with my husband and 14 year old son, but am terrified of snakes!

I hear your fear about snakes...to the best of my memory there really are not any (I do recall the stone one like in the movie)...you would think I could recall that because I do not care for snakes either...

Ron Weasley and I share the same phobia, something to do with hairy 8 legged creatures, which there are plenty on this ride. When I went to WWofHP on opening weekend FJ kept breaking down and my friend and I joked that it would be our luck for the ride to break down with us in this particular area...guess what, it happened just that way and Aragot tried his best to be my friend! :scared1:

A Visit with Moaning Myrtle​

We go back and find Jeff still sitting on the bench were we left him...not looking much better in the 10 minutes of fresh air we gave him to recover and notice that it is now past 8 am! Which means WWofHP is now open to the general public.

warning.jpg

In his defense here is the warning that the Department of Magical Transportation posted in regard to Forbidden Jounrey.

Jeff decides a few minutes more sitting would be nice, so the kids and I head back onto the Hippogriff

hippogriffhighabove.jpg

for another ride before before we venture back into Hogsmeade.

1hpdirectionsign.jpg

1hogsigncopper.jpg

I know that the crowds are coming and we have about 45 minutes until our breakfast ADR at 3 Broomsticks...so off we go for a stroll down the main street of Hogsmeade! Remember last time we were in this area is was dawn and the streets were...

2hogbefore.jpg

now an hour later they look like this

3hogsmeadeafter.jpg

and I know it is just going to get worse with each passing minute. The kids decide that they don't need to go back into Dervish and Banges, but want to go into the 2 shops at the closest to the entrance at Lost Continent. But not before dad decides he needs to meet Moaning Myrtle. For those of you who do not know of MM is…

moaningmyrtle.png

"Moaning" Myrtle (c. 1929—13 June, 1943), was a Muggle-born witch who attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and was sorted into Ravenclaw house. She was killed in 1943 by Salazar Slytherin's Basilisk, under Lord Voldemort's orders. Now, she is a ghost who haunts the second floor girls' bathroom (and occasionally other bathroom facilities) at Hogwarts. She is more commonly known as "Moaning Myrtle".​

Moaning Myrtle at WWofHP is said to haunt both the men’s and the women’s bathrooms. I remind the kids of this and both boys take off after dad into the bathroom

6mensbathroomsign.jpg

and Abigail into the women’s…

5bathroom_signs.jpg

the kids come out with smiles and you could tell they met Myrtle. So now the waiting begins for dad to appear…we joke that he and Myrtle must be having some long conversation (of course my husband can talk to anyone, anywhere, anytime and have lengthy little talk)! Will he ever come out...

7kidsjokewaitingfordad.jpg

Thanks so much for all of the wonderful pics. You have captured all of the great details that make WWOHP so special. It's helping me relive my New Year's trip and it makes me wish I was there right now.... munching on a pumpkin tart...eating Chocolate Frogs, Peppermint toads, Chocolate Cauldrons, Treacle Fudge etc. I can almost feel my waistline expanding as I type,:laughing: good thing virtual food isn't fattening.

Thanks so much for all of the wonderful pics. You have captured all of the great details that make WWOHP so special. It's helping me relive my New Year's trip and it makes me wish I was there right now.... munching on a pumpkin tart...eating Chocolate Frogs, Peppermint toads, Chocolate Cauldrons, Treacle Fudge etc. I can almost feel my waistline expanding as I type,:laughing: good thing virtual food isn't fattening.

Thank you...I am glad you are enjoying the report and pcitures! It is a special place and I really hope the rumors are true that they will be expanding into USO!

I wish I was there right now, too! I big mug of butter beer and some fish & chips with a chocolate cauldron sounds perfect!

It's A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood​

While we wait for Jeff to emerge the kids and I take in a few of the surrounding store windows & fronts (yes disappointing that they are just a front, because they would all make neat gift shops). I tell the kids look closely because there is magic when you least expect it (and even a few movie props). I am not going to spoil the fun of looking through the windows and tell you what you will see…but trust me; there is a lot to find!

Directly above the restrooms is J. Pippin's Potions...

9potionssign.jpg

10potionswindow.jpg

J. Pippin's Potions was a chain of apothecaries established in 1753. J. Pippin's sold "potions for all ailments".

To the left of the restrooms the first storefront you will encounter is Gladrags Wizardwear...

11gladrags.jpg

14gladwrapscat.jpg

13gladrapsboy.jpg

Gladrags Wizardwear is a clothing store that was founded in 1750 and run by Gladrags Wizardwear Group Ltd., It is full of quirky merchandise and appears to specialize in strange and unusual socks.

Abigail spent a long time staring in the windows of Gladrags, because on display is the actual gown that Herionee wore to the ball. I could see her imagining herself in this dress; maybe we could do something like this for prom in a couple of years.

12galdwrapsgirls.jpg

Then still going towards Hogwarts, just pass Gladrags above you will be 2 windows for Dominic Maestro's music shop...

15Dominic_Maestro27s.jpg

Dominic Maestro's was a music shop in Hogsmeade, run by Dominic Maestro, a musician, who once got an award at Hogwarts, possibly for excelling in music. Ab loved watching the violins play.

Below the 1st Dominic Maestro’s window you will find Scrivenshaft's Quill Shop ...

16scrivenshftssign.jpg

17scriventshaftsmastro.jpg

Scrivenshaft's Quill Shop is a writing supplies store in Hogsmeade. It sells various quills, parchment and stationery needed for students at Hogwarts. The shop stock includes stationery such as rainbow ink and extra-large quills.

Then under the second Dominic Maestro’s window you will find the fake entrances to 2 shops Potage's Cauldron Shop and Wiseacre's Wizarding Equipment...

18wiseandpot.jpg

Potage's Cauldron Shop sells all types of cauldrons, displaying them in a stack outside the shop, under a sign which read: "Cauldrons - All Sizes - Copper, Brass, Pewter, Silver - Self-Stirring - Collapsible."
Wiseacre's Wizarding Equipment sells a wide variety of magical instruments like telescopes and hourglasses.

Finally on this row of shops you will come to The Magic Neep. To actually look in this window you have to work yourself around the refreshment cart that is placed in front the window…

beepcart.jpg

not a great location. In this cart you will find the popular pumpkin juice in the bottle. I had brought back pumpkin juice (think Apple juice with pumpkin pie spices) to the kids on my first trip, and they were not overly impressed with it…too sweet.

pumpinjuice.jpg

But if you really want to try, go into Hogshead Tavern and get a glass of it on tap…it tastes so much better and is cheaper.

19neepsign.jpg

20neep.jpg

The Magic Neep (turnip in Scottish) was a magical green grocers' in Hogsmeade.

BUT WAIT THERE IS MORE...

Tammie- this is such a fantastic trip report! Amazing pictures, great writing, incredible details. I love all of the information and trivia you are giving throughout the report.

Love the term pot-heads! I myself am a Gryffindork. And I totally agree with your opinion about the pumpkin juice. The draft is so much better than the stuff in the bottle.

It looks like you spent a lot more time than we did "window shopping" and soaking in the wonderful details and atmosphere in Hogsmeade. Thanks for sharing it with all of us!

Looking forward to reading more of the WWoHP stuff and the rest of your report over on the main board.

More? :yay: Don't keep us in suspense! What happened next?

:rotfl2:I am pretty good it seems leaving you wanting more! I promise to have more updates posted this weekend.

Tammie- this is such a fantastic trip report! Amazing pictures, great writing, incredible details. I love all of the information and trivia you are giving throughout the report.

Thank you :goodvibes...I have added the details/trivia because a lot of my followers on the TR in the WDW boards are not HP fans and have no background!

Love the term pot-heads! I myself am a Gryffindork.

OMG...I love this nickname! I might have to steal it for Ab! Boo on the other hand thinks he is a Raven-head?!

And I totally agree with your opinion about the pumpkin juice. The draft is so much better than the stuff in the bottle.

It looks like you spent a lot more time than we did "window shopping" and soaking in the wonderful details and atmosphere in Hogsmeade. Thanks for sharing it with all of us!

I learned from my research about all the windows...during my visit on opening weekend in 2010 there was way too many people competing for window space that I did not realize all that was there!

Looking forward to reading more of the WWoHP stuff and the rest of your report over on the main board.

Thank you for coming along. I so love the WWofHP, and really hope the rumors are true about the expansion!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter