Non rope drop ppl - what’s it like??

We rarely rope drop, maybe I'll *try* for once a trip. I like to sleep a little longer and maybe stroll into the parks around 10 am. I make sure all my fastpasses are lined up one after the other prior to arriving, and then as soon as I "tap" into my first ride I start modifying the rest to bump them up instead of waiting the whole 1 hr for the fastpass window to go by. Once those 3 are gone I start refreshing the fastpass search until I find a new one I like. If the time isn't great I'll grab it anyways and then start to modify and move the time up. People are always changing around their fastpasses the day-of, and I usually have no problem picking up popular rides like FOP, SDD, and SDMT using this method.

We rarely rope drop, maybe I'll *try* for once a trip. I like to sleep a little longer and maybe stroll into the parks around 10 am. I make sure all my fastpasses are lined up one after the other prior to arriving, and then as soon as I "tap" into my first ride I start modifying the rest to bump them up instead of waiting the whole 1 hr for the fastpass window to go by. Once those 3 are gone I start refreshing the fastpass search until I find a new one I like. If the time isn't great I'll grab it anyways and then start to modify and move the time up. People are always changing around their fastpasses the day-of, and I usually have no problem picking up popular rides like FOP, SDD, and SDMT using this method.

I never thought of trying to modify my 2nd and 3rd FP right after I use the first one! That’s brilliant and I’m definitely gonna try this on my trip!

I never thought of trying to modify my 2nd and 3rd FP right after I use the first one! That’s brilliant and I’m definitely gonna try this on my trip!
i saw a blog that said leave 15-20min between 1st and 2nd fast passes so when you use your first pass you can then try and move your 3rd pass to be in front of your 2nd pass . so say 10, 11:20 and 12:20 fastpass start times . after taping first fastpass say at 10:00 you then try and move your 3rd pass to start between 10:05-10:20 start time . once your off first ride then go to new 2nd fast pass .

My last trip to Disney, we were not able to rope drop on arrival day. We walked into Hollywood Studios from the Beach Club around 1pm. The big thing then was Toy Story Mania and we had FPs for it. Other than the rain early evening, we had a pretty good day and everyone rode what they wanted and we stayed until close. This trip we are thinking of doing the same, going on arrival day sometime after 10-11 am. Staying at Pop and hopefully taking the skyliner in. At 60 days out I will try for Slinky Dog and cross my fingers. Everything else we are just gonna wing! I realize that with Galaxy's Edge that it will be a crap shoot, but hoping that EMH at AK, MK not closing early for MVMCP, and Epcot Food and Wine take the crowds down a bit. I think a little bit of planning goes a long way if you don't want to rope drop.

As the Original Childless Millennial (with about 25 years of experience) I now am extremely relaxed in my touring. I took a break from Disney for a few years and then my first couple of trips I about killed myself with rope drop and getting there early and staying until close. I realized my absolute favorite time in the parks is from late afternoon until close because of all of the wonderful lights and fireworks. Now I sleep really late and it may be 1 or 2 pm before I leave the room. I schedule a table service meal or just pick my favorite CS meal for when I first get to the park, then my fastpasses, then I am usually able to enjoy the atmosphere the rest of the evening and catch more rides. I am usually there either the first two weeks of May or Halloween week (my favorite) or sometime during the Christmas season so there is always at least one party to attend. The only time I remember actually doing a super early rope drop was at DHS for one of the Star Wars Weekends they used to have in May. By mid morning I had ridden everything I wanted to and to wait for the parade at like 10 or 11 am and was bored. I then decided to turn it into a four parks in one day adventure!

It’s terrible. WDW is a planners paradise, and it’s about 50% likely to rain in the afternoon. So even if you get FPs, the ride might close down or delay. And if you don’t stay on property, you’re unlikely to get the FPs that you want.

I’d stick to CA if you want to sleep in.

I am not a rope dropper at all.

Like others have said, for me, getting up that early would not be a relaxing vacation. I was actually super interested in the new mid day magic tickets until I noticed you can only purchase up to a four day.

I usually make an adr around 10:30 or 11 for breakfast at one of the resorts and gave a nice leisurely meal, then hit the parks. I do pre schedule my three fast passes to start around 1:00 ish so I can get them done and search for others on the app. I usually can get a few more in the afternoon and then just do whatever doesn’t have a lot of line ups. I also love the after hours events and parties, so I usually do a couple during my trip.

I think the biggest thing for me though is not equating time in the park with getting my money’s worth. I feel like as long as I’m relaxed and having a good time, that’s what I’m paying for. If you want to spend the morning in the pool, go for it. Want to browse all the shops at the resorts, why not? I canceled a FP for FOP one day because I wanted to stay in the pool for another couple hours, I had a great time and didn’t regret it at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter