Not a good start to my Disney vacation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 165395 View attachment 165394 Actually that's not true, it happened 1 other time. Maybe it depends if the charge is still a hold, I did have a Nordstrom return that I used my Nordstrom Debit Card on the original purchase, I returned the item the next day and it was back in my checking account within an hour.

I just went back in that account to check the Disney transactions.. Here are the cropped photos after I cancelled a reservation once the TA made another one for me. 2 days... The one I cancelled had been made a few days prior to the TA one.

It's possible that if transaction is still in authorization, the merchant can reverse the authorization.

This is so obviously a situation where one of those "charges" is just pending and will fall off, it's not even funny. There's like a 1% chance in my mind that it is two full charges, but I really doubt it. I would think that their CC/bank saw the charge, called a halt for a little while, leading WDW to send that odd message. Then it went through.

To me this isn't even worth getting worked up over. Just wait a couple days.

You've called back, yes?

I don't even know what your'e talking about. Until recently Amex was the ONLY way you could use a CC at Costco. It was ALL debits with PIN (or cash or costco giftcard) And while I often CHOOSE cash as a refund option, returning it to my debit card has been totally allowed.

That's how raises often work. And it has nothing to do with a refund.

It certainly could. You could have been carrying a coffee with cream and sugar in it, and wearing a dry clean only shirt.

I got bumped into a year ago at Disneyland on the way out, by a burly weightlifter-looking fellow, and it nearly knocked me to my knees it hurt my shoulder so much. That night my neck locked up incredibly painfully, and despite extra visits to my chiropractor once I got home (which were under insurance, but I only get 20 visits, so it caused me to have to pay OOP much sooner than intended) I could barely move my head for 2-3 weeks. It was AWFUL. It cost me money, time, and PAIN.

He didn't even say sorry. I wish I could get him to pay for my extra visits to my chiro. He caused it.

I got married in 2003 and even back then there was only ONE vendor who wasn't already paid in full the day of the wedding (the site, b/c of not knowing how much beer/wine we were going to use). It's been a long time since most vendors in most places need full payment 2 weeks prior to the wedding. Your situation seems unusual to me.

Exactly.

Maybe. Doubtful.

Amazon does not have this.

Almost certainly. I agree with you Angi.

And then for all those people who are intending to make two purchases, it'll be a huge pain.

YES.

They click "refund" in their system and it's automatic. The refunding company has NO idea how long it will be for the Cc/bank to get that money back into the customer's account, so they give these long timespans. And they generally give longer timespans than anticipated, so the customer doesn't call back worrying, when there's nothing for the refunding company to do.

I remember working at amazon and having the occasional return of my own (which we had to do by calling, on our own time, CS and doing exactly what non-employee customers had to do), and my bank refunded me almost instantly, while other banks/CC companies took a long time, and others were in the middle. And we would say "1-2 statements" because we don't know when that customer's billing cycle ends; what if it ended today? We couldn't say "this cycle" b/c that would mean today. When it was likely going to take a bit longer than that.

But I'm banking on this being a pure pending charge.

Or customer error. But that's just my CS at amazon experience talking. ;)

It's not obvious. We see duplicate charges post all the time, although I would always recommend that some call their bank to find out if that were the case. And a single large charge for something like Disney World would not cause the system to "halt" for a while. Although multiple charges in a short period of time would trigger a flag. The error was more likely due to Disney's subpar IT.

I do not know what the CM could do to bring the OP back to good other than processing a refund. The CM's on the phones are not the boots on the ground folks who can just issue freebies.

I think that when people do not understand how these complex systems work, (I am one of those folks) it is easy to simply place blame on whoever you were doing business with.

Oh please. Which CC service would you choose to drop if you were DIsney? Visa? Discover? AMEX? MC?

I won't assume every "snafu" I have made is user error , but I know I have hit that Submit button more than once, and I paid the price.

As I said upthread, when I had an issue I called my card company and that pending charge never was processed. A 5 minute call was all it took to ensure that pending stayed pending.

A financial institution cannot keep a charge from clearing your account once a merchant has received a valid authorization. Only the merchant can control that. A financial institution can issue a provisional credit until the problem is resolved.

It's possible that if transaction is still in authorization, the merchant can reverse the authorization.

It's not obvious. We see duplicate charges post all the time, although I would always recommend that some call their bank to find out if that were the case. And a single large charge for something like Disney World would not cause the system to "halt" for a while. Although multiple charges in a short period of time would trigger a flag. The error was more likely due to Disney's subpar IT.

A financial institution cannot keep a charge from clearing your account once a merchant has received a valid authorization. Only the merchant can control that. A financial institution can issue a provisional credit until the problem is resolved.

I have no idea how it all occurs but I found out the hard way that for Sears, once an order is "processed" there is no going back, and they will not make one allowance for a change. And that order was processed in less thatn 30 seconds. Now the level of CS I recieved form them and the time I spent trying to cancel an order makes me appreciate Disney CS> I will never buy even a sock from Sears agai. WHat hey made on that purchase is all they will ever make on my money again.

I don't know how it happened but my faux pas, which was all my error when I was paying for my Disney trip,stayed pending. I had made a frantic call and my CC company said that they could not cancel the charge, only Disney could do that. But it never went past that, so I was glad.

That's what I'm saying.. Mine was deducted from my checking account for 3 days before I cancelled. Once cancelled the money was back in my checking account in 2 days. I'm sure the OP called in a matter of minutes, so at best maybe his will take 5 days.
If he used a CC that's even less of an issue, my point was even using a debit the money didn't take close to 10 days to be back in my account.
I cancelled thru Disney's website. Never made a call to my bank.

Last edited:
His happened to me once.... It took over 6 weeks for them to refund me and several calls and hours, keep on top of it!

OP, sorry to hear this happened. It happened to me a few months ago - I went to make a partial payment on my DL vacation and they ran my card for the entire remainder amount.... Here I am expecting $50 and it's $2550 :scared1: Now, I have no idea if it was my fault because I wasn't clear, the CM's fault who ran it, or a computer glitch. I called right away, got a super sweet CM who promised to clear it up. I was also given the 7-10 day time frame - was corrected by the next day. I hope you get yours resolved quickly as well.

That being said, it never occurred to me to ask for any kind of compensation. Mistakes happen. People misunderstand, computers go wonky... it's just life. I also work in a call center and take escalations all day long, so perhaps that clouds my judgment a little as far as when it's appropriate to offer/ask for compensation for an error...

Either way, best of luck and I hope you can still have a great trip!
This is very similar to what happened to me. I posted about it back on page 2 (I think), where the CM should have charged me $800, but she mistakenly charged me $8000! I know it was corrected pretty quickly, even though she told me 7-10 days too.

Anyway, reading through everyone's comments, I'd be scared to post again here, maybe scared away from Disboards altogether. The OP probably wanted to vent and get some sympathy. Yes, the use of the word "stealing" was not the best in this situation. But I think we all have posted something online in forums, then realize we didn't express ourselves in the way it was intended. It sure can get upsetting to be shot down like the OP has in this thread.

OP, if you still are reading this, I hope that everything has been resolved, and you can look forward to having that magical Disney trip now. It didn't take me very long after the issue I had with the $8000 for me to start getting really excited. I'm sure there will be lots of opportunities for you to encounter that Disney pixie dust when you are on vacation!

pretty good chance you hit "submit" too many times or too quickly.

Probably not. Disney's system has done this to me several times as well as my father-in-law. However, I was not upset with Disney about it nor was dad. I realize that their servers are a joke and cannot handle their guest capacity. I chalked it up to the system attempting to process and then timing out. I called Disney, politely told them what happened, and they resolved it right on the spot.

To the OP - Disney seldom apologizes for anything so I am not surprised that you did not get an apology. If Disney is going to wait longer than you can to refund, you can always dispute it with your credit card company so that the extra balance does not affect your statement due amount or your debt to credit line ratio is not out of whack. Surely they will fix it for you on the spot as well.

Probably not. Disney's system has done this to me several times as well as my father-in-law. However, I was not upset with Disney about it nor was dad. I realize that their servers are a joke and cannot handle their guest capacity. I chalked it up to the system attempting to process and then timing out. I called Disney, politely told them what happened, and they resolved it right on the spot.

To the OP - Disney seldom apologizes for anything so I am not surprised that you did not get an apology. If Disney is going to wait longer than you can to refund, you can always dispute it with your credit card company so that the extra balance does not affect your statement due amount or your debt to credit line ratio is not out of whack. Surely they will fix it for you on the spot as well.

More likely than not it is the credit card company that is the hold up, not Disney.

I get the OPs frustration. That's a lot of money. I'd be craaaaaaazy annoyed.

But I've also had it happen because of a system issue AND because I had an overly enthusiast clicker finger. It is what it is. I know it's a pain and a lot of money, but I wouldn't have expected anything more than a swift refund.

I still remember Ulta charging me 6x for a single order. Not pleased at all. I still didn't expect a free lipstick or anything.

I'd be scared to post again here, maybe scared away from Disboards altogether. The OP probably wanted to vent and get some sympathy. Yes, the use of the word "stealing" was not the best in this situation. But I think we all have posted something online in forums, then realize we didn't express ourselves in the way it was intended. It sure can get upsetting to be shot down like the OP has in this thread.

While I can't speak for everyone, my guess is that everyone here would have been sympathetic to the OP UNTIL he voiced his a) dissatisfaction with Disney's Customer service and b) suggested that Disney sucked for not giving him free stuff for his inconvenience. Very few are heartless here at all, but the issues arose when the issues of fault, damages and restitution showed up. The gist of his complaint was that Disney didn't offer him something like $350 in credits for a short-term problem that may or may not have been his own fault, but one that certainly caused him no damage. And those were all on the OP.

A lot of people around here get very tired of the entitled mentality of some posters and some guests, that Disney is somehow doing wrong by not going above and beyond what anyone could reasonably expect. If a business makes a mistake, their only real obligation is to correct the mistake. It's not emcumbant on them to make you "whole" by giving you free stuff, and the insistence that they should have rubbed many of us the wrong way. So then people started poking holes in his story and his logic (and his demands) and that came across as attacking. I guess it was, but when you post ridiculous arguments and feel entitled to ridiculous demands, the chances are someone is going to attack you for it.

There's nothing wrong with complaining here; it's part of the reason the DIS was invented and exists. But when you start suggesting that Disney is sucky because they aren't making restitution for problems that weren't really problems, it's going to raise some hackles.

I was overcharged at a Panda Express. I used a debit card to buy a 20.00 gift card and they put in 200.00. It was a week before Christmas and I was still shopping so I wanted my cash back! The "refund" was issued, but I was told it could take up to 2 weeks. I called my card company and they said they could not do anything unless Panda Express went in and released the charge. Panda said they had no control over the situation and pointed their finger at the card company. All I know is that it was crazy annoying and I didn't get my cash back until after Christmas. I did write up a complaint on the Panda Express website and they sent me a card good for a free mail. I would have rather had my money back before Christmas, but it was a nice gesture.

While I can't speak for everyone, my guess is that everyone here would have been sympathetic to the OP UNTIL he voiced his a) dissatisfaction with Disney's Customer service and b) suggested that Disney sucked for not giving him free stuff for his inconvenience. Very few are heartless here at all, but the issues arose when the issues of fault, damages and restitution showed up. The gist of his complaint was that Disney didn't offer him something like $350 in credits for a short-term problem that may or may not have been his own fault, but one that certainly caused him no damage. And those were all on the OP.

A lot of people around here get very tired of the entitled mentality of some posters and some guests, that Disney is somehow doing wrong by not going above and beyond what anyone could reasonably expect. If a business makes a mistake, their only real obligation is to correct the mistake. It's not emcumbant on them to make you "whole" by giving you free stuff, and the insistence that they should have rubbed many of us the wrong way. So then people started poking holes in his story and his logic (and his demands) and that came across as attacking. I guess it was, but when you post ridiculous arguments and feel entitled to ridiculous demands, the chances are someone is going to attack you for it.

There's nothing wrong with complaining here; it's part of the reason the DIS was invented and exists. But when you start suggesting that Disney is sucky because they aren't making restitution for problems that weren't really problems, it's going to raise some hackles.
Nah, "entitled mentality" isn't all that people have been nasty about. Many times in this post (and across the boards) if someone has a different experience or opinion than a poster, they will reply that "no, that is WRONG" or "no, that DIDN'T/DOESN'T/CAN'T" happen. That raises those hackles right back.

I get the OPs frustration. That's a lot of money. I'd be craaaaaaazy annoyed.

But I've also had it happen because of a system issue AND because I had an overly enthusiast clicker finger. It is what it is. I know it's a pain and a lot of money, but I wouldn't have expected anything more than a swift refund.

I still remember Ulta charging me 6x for a single order. Not pleased at all. I still didn't expect a free lipstick or anything.
Except it's not MONEY, it's cc charge. Big difference and never really much of a big deal.
And I'd expect absolutely nothing for this situation except it being corrected ASAP.

Except it's not MONEY, it's cc charge. Big difference and never really much of a big deal.
And I'd expect absolutely nothing for this situation except it being corrected ASAP.

Did I miss that? I was under the belief this was a debit card that was used.

As I said earlier, if this were a debit card it would be an outrageous error and simply greedy of all teh companies involved not to release the credit at once. It can be done; they choose not not based on back office accounting rules they set.

Even if it were a credit card and not a debit card: Your credit card company could hit you with a huge overlimit fee and a late fee if you fail to pay the extra money owed if due before you get it back, and hike your interest rate for being late. A lot of risk here. Terms & conditions are outrageously in the credit card company's favor. A family might have needed any further credit limit to finish buying their vacation, too.

If a business makes a mistake, their only real obligation is to correct the mistake. It's not emcumbant on them to make you "whole" by giving you free stuff, and the insistence that they should have rubbed many of us the wrong way. So then people started poking holes in his story and his logic (and his demands) and that came across as attacking. I guess it was, but when you post ridiculous arguments and feel entitled to ridiculous demands, the chances are someone is going to attack you for it.

And the problem is too that they did make him "whole". He got everything back that he should have.

He wanted extras above and beyond being made whole. This isn't a situation where a reservation error made him miss out on free dining or an ADR screw up that meant he showed up to CRT with reservation in hand and was told he couldn't sit. There was a mistake. They fixed it. He has yet to come back to say when the money was returned to him.

Stacy

Gotcha.

Yeah, it's totally money if it's a debit card that's being held up. A CC I care a bunch less about, but money in my bank account is a big hells naw.

Do like we did in NYC. Call the bank and ask for a credit.

Stacy

I have to say that this is a terrible example of nuisance lawsuits. The woman who sued was severely burned after McDonalds had been warned they needed to lower the temperature of the coffee that they were serving. It was heated to a temperature that would ensure that the coffee was hot after it had been sitting in the cup for at least 20 minutes becuase their research had determined that the customer commute after purchase was 20 minutes. McDonalds ignored that warning each time.

I am not positive that the lid was not secure, but IIRC, the woman who was burned was trying to get the lid on properly. WHen the coffee spilled it was so hot it melted the polyester fabric of he pants which then adhered to the skin on her thighs. She was hurt because a company was sure that they did not need to follow a cease and desist order that might impact their own sales. I think it was the size of the award that had been challenged, not that they lost.

Thank you! I saw this referenced back on page three and set about reading through the entire thread tosee if anyone would set the record straight. That poor woman was unfairly vilified and had become the go-to example of frivolous lawsuits, when in actual fact she was never anything but reasonable. She only asked for her medical costs. McDonald's reacted with a very effective character assassination campaign.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

Do like we did in NYC. Call the bank and ask for a credit.

Stacy

Well, I didn't in my situation. I just called the company who said the charges would drop so I just waited it out.

I don't know if my bank would do a credit, honestly. But hopefully it's a solution for the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter