Not as excited for WDW as I always am for DLR

I find WDW to be a lot different for one reason. It more submersive. If you stay onsite and get a dining plan it is one of the most relaxing trips ever.

BTW 80% of DISers stay onsite there. Also 66% park hop. EMH (extra magic hours) are a big deal there and park hopping makes it much more worthwhile. While people on this sides of the board talk about going to the pool in the middle of the day or going to a hotel for a nap, it's mostly talk and in WDW it's the truth. It part of what makes WDW a place for getting the most out of you trip and relaxing at the same time.

Taking a trip away from DLR to WDW is a vacation. Everything there is much simpler and you can be more relaxed while you are there.

Really? I've been to both on several occasions, both with kids and without. I find DLR to be more submersive and relaxing than WDW. Maybe I have some weird connection to being in "Walt's Park"....I dunno....but DLR is more of a vacation to me than WDW. WDW seems to be so much more "work". Regardless, WDW seemed so hard to navigate and much more intimidating than DLR. That being said, I LOVE THEM BOTH. They are just different.

I have to say, we've NEVER been to DLR that we haven't utilized the hotel for a mid-afternoon swim. We always stay at the GCH so maybe that's why. Honestly though, I don't think it's just talk. Are you there with them when they are deciding whether or not to go back for a mid-afternoon swim? We are going for our first time in December and are kind of sad about the fact that we won't get our afternoon swim in. Maybe if the weather is great for us, we will.....who knows?????

I actually find that I get more out of my DLR trips than my WDW trips because I feel like I *can* do it all at DLR. At WDW I felt like I had to "give things up" in order to do other things I wanted to. That being said, I love them both for different reasons and don't compare them to each other. They are different and that's one of the things I love about them both. :) Any day at Disney (DLR or WDW) is better than any day at home. :love::love::love:

You guys are the best! I already feel so much better about starting to plan the WDW trip!:goodvibes . I love the suggestions that have been thrown out about the different things to do that we can't do at DLR! Can I just keep my planning process over on this side, so you all can help me?;)

I do have the unofficial guide to WDW and the Passporters to help me out...but your suggestions are even better:flower3:

I kind of feel the same way as you.

In fact, I popped over here even though my trip is in less than a month and I have no plans for DLR until Carsland is done. This side is just more familiar to me.

Don't get me wrong I'm excited and it will be a fun trip, but I have to admit I'm a little worried.

So glad to see this thread this morning. So glad to know I'm not the only one feeling this way too.

Hope you have a great trip!

I am glad that you have both the Unofficial Guide and Passporters. I think that Passporters gives a much better overview of the resorts, restaurants and things to do outside the park, but the UG gives much better advice about inside the park touring. I also found Tourguide Mike's website very helpful and well worth the $25 or so it cost me to susbscribe - there is a discount for Dis board readers if you go through the link. I love both WDW and DLR, but as mentioned above, the experiences and planning requirements are VERY different. I don't think the MK park in WDW can hold a candle to DL. So while you think that you will miss not walking down Main Street everyday, you may find that being in the MK is where you miss DL the most. Here are my top tips about the differences in planning for the parks:

1. On-site or Off-site - This is a big issue for WDW trips while not so critical for DLR. I recommend onsite unless you have a large party. With four in your group there are plenty of on-site options to choose from - in all price ranges. You truly do feel immersed in the magic and you have some advantages over off-site visitors.

2. Rental car or no- If you are staying on site you have the option of not renting a car. You use Magical Express to get to and from the airport and Disney transportation within the World. You may still want to rent a car depending on which resort you are staying at or if you are planning several meals at resort restaurants where you will be travelling from resort to resort. If you are taking lots of trips off property you will need to rent a car. My family of three stayed a week without a rental car. We had one long delay with buses and opted to take a cab once from our resort to make a dinner reservation at the Grand Floridian. Saved hundreds of $$ not renting a car. Off-site, you need to rent a car. While many off-site hotels advertise shuttles, their schedules may not fit your schedule at all and they often do not have the necessary capacity for the demand. You don't want to have to wait for the next shuttle with two children excited to be at the parks (or exhausted and needing to get back to your hotel).

3. Parkhoppers or no- While I would never dream of doing DLR with the ability to park hop, this is open for debate in WDW. Parkhopping will add about $50 per ticket or $200 to the cost of your tickets. Unlike the five minute walk at DLR, it can take an hour to travel between WDW parks on Disney transportation. Where you are staying might affect this decison. If you are staying at The Beach/Yacht Club or Boardwalk resorts, you are right next to two parks, so I would have hoppers. It would allow you to easily slip into the World Showcase for dinner and Illuminations or over to the Studios to catch a Fantasmic showing. The good news is that you do not have to make this decision now. You can purchase non-hoppers, but can upgrade your passes if you discover that you need the hoppers.

4. Non park days- While I go to the DLR parks every day of my SoCal vacations, there are many ways of having a fabulous Disney Day at WDW without stepping into one of the four parks. Sleep in, spend the day at your resort pool or a water park, and then have dinner at a resort where you can see the fireworks or watch a show such as the Hoop-De-Do Review. Plan at least one non-park day to recharge. It's a really good idea at WDW.

5. Eating- This is a big part of a WDW vacation. There is a lot more variety at WDW and several fun experiences that dont' exist at DLR. Check out the decriptions for 50's Primetime, the Sci-Fi diner or Whispering Canyon Cafe? ( I think that's the name- I get this confused with Trails End - it's the one at Wilderness Lodge). Although pricey, we had a delightful lunch at Cinderella's Royal Table. Eating inside the castle is an experience that is not available at DLR. As the previous poster indicated there are many who book ADR's six months ahead at the earliest possible time. My husband looked at me like I was insane when I asked him about where he wanted to eat so far in advance. ADR's for popular restaurants go fast (Le Cellier, Cinderella's RT and Ohana's). The new online system makes it easier to check back to see if anything has opened up.

6. Extra Magic Hours- While I always make use of Magic Morning hours at DLR, this is an open question at WDW. The line for the bus to the park with EMH hours was always longer than the lines for the other parks. If you are not the type to be at the park for rope drop, don't bother with morning EMH. By the way, if you do make rope drop, each park has a show at park opening.

I agree with the pps who recommend treating WDW as a completely different kind of trip than DLR. There is plenty to love at both resorts and it is all Disney!

Really? I've been to both on several occasions, both with kids and without. I find DLR to be more submersive and relaxing than WDW. Maybe I have some weird connection to being in "Walt's Park"....I dunno....but DLR is more of a vacation to me than WDW. WDW seems to be so much more "work". Regardless, WDW seemed so hard to navigate and much more intimidating than DLR. That being said, I LOVE THEM BOTH. They are just different.

You are welcome to disagree but what I wrote was not based on my unique experience but a general guest experience.

I'll lay it all out one what a typical trip to DLR and WDW is.

DLR. Guest drive from no more than one county away, exits I-5 and starts their Disney experience goin into M&F garage. Takes Trams to the gates, has one meal. Leaves that night back onto the freeway.

Keep in mind that right now thier could be 50K people in the Disney parks and their is only room for about 10% of them to stay on property on this typical day.

WDW. Guests flies to Orlando airport. Check in at the magic express desk, starts Disney then. Rides "DIsney" bus to Disney resort. Stays inside WDW the whole trip for 7 nights. Eat all meals in WDW layed out with ADR and a dining plan. At end of week takes "Disney" bus back to MCO, leave disney.

I'm not saying these are my experiences but what is most common. A WDW trip could be said to be all inclusive because most people book a package that includes all the nessecities.

OP, I think you'll love WDW. DL may always be your first love, but WDW is awesome too. For WDW, I recommend staying on site. It's a better experience. Depending on what time of year you go, not that crowded either. We never rent a car.

I'm actually in the opposite situation. Ive been to WDW 8 times, and am planning my first trip to DL.(in May) I've also worried that I'll be let down. Oh, well, if that happens, I'll be back at WDW in September.:lmao:

OP, I think you'll love WDW. DL may always be your first love, but WDW is awesome too. For WDW, I recommend staying on site. It's a better experience. Depending on what time of year you go, not that crowded either. We never rent a car.

I'm actually in the opposite situation. Ive been to WDW 8 times, and am planning my first trip to DL.(in May) I've also worried that I'll be let down. Oh, well, if that happens, I'll be back at WDW in September.:lmao:

Thanks for the encouragement! I just booked flights! We are going mid April for our kids' birthdays. I know it will be busy, but really trying to make this an extra special trip for our two childrens birthdays which are both the same week.

You will LOVE DL too! It is just quaint and charming. Like I said in my original post, I LOVE the feel of walking down main st and seeing the castle everyday. I love passing by Walts apartment above the fire station every night on our way out. I think that is what I'm afraid of missing out on, is the charm that I love about DLR...but there are a ton of new adventures waiting for us in Florida! And thanks to all of you on here, I know I will not be disspointed, just because it's different!

:flower3:

I know exactly what you're feeling - it's what I felt last year. After spending so many years going to WDW, last November we made our very first trip to DL.

From my perspective - I was super excited as I got off the bus at the entrace to DL, I was surprised at how close DCA and DL were to each other - that felt wierd!

We went to DL first, and was excited to see all the Christmas decorations and the tree, but I asked my husband "where's the castle?" When I finally got around the tree, I couldn't stop laughing - it was so small! Otherwise Main Street felt very familiar.

We made our way over to Tomorrowland (as we usually do at WDW), and instantly I realized I hadn't picked up a park map and I was LOST! Once I found a map, I felt a little better.

I was thrilled to see things like the Nemo ride with the old submarines, and the matterhorn looked intersting - but was confused that it was bigger than the castle.

I got completely lost around adventureland - there isn't a new orleans square at WDW.

DCA was a wierd experience for me - some of it reminded me of EPCOT, some of AK, and some of DHS - but then there was the whole Paradice Pier area, which we didn't like at all, felt too much like a carnival.

In all - we loved the trip, and we've since taken 2 more to DL. The more I visit, the more I like it, but WDW will always be my "home".

Enjoy WDW for what it is... embrace the differences (as I did in DL) and remember to get a map!

We have been to DLR for the past 3 years in a row. We are planning our next trip to WDW for our 2 childrens 6yr and 8yr birthdays in April (which are the same week). We have never been to WDW, so thought this would be a special birthday trip. Now that I'm starting the planning process, I'm not as excited to go to WDW as I always am to go to DLR! Part of me really wants to go experience WDW, but I think my biggest hesitation is (and it sounds silly), that going to different parks each day means we won't be walking down Main St and seeing the castle each morning to start our day. Even on our CA days we always start at DL side, and hop back and forth.
I'm just not sure if it will 'feel' like Disney to me not having the main street/castle everyday. At DLR walking down Main St each morning just sets in that magical feeling for me. It's my favorite part of DL.

Anybody else feel this way? And will WDW be so magical in itself (at the parks outside of Magic Kingdom), that I won't feel like I'm missing out on the special Main St magic of DL?

Was just at DLR and WDW.... here is the difference IMHO that really makes the trip different.
DLR you visit and its magical but nothing immerses you in the Disney magic like being at WDW (staying on property of course)....its a different world (pardon the pun). Staying at a Deluxe resort also makes the experience even better imho....but even the value resorts are charming!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter