November Trip and Tips

BeckyEsq

Mouseketeer.
HI everyone! I'm Becky, a long-time DIS member, and I'm just back from a November 7-11th trip with my 11 year old daughter. This was her first trip -- a surprise for her 11th birthday, and my first trip to Universal since 2003. It's just the two of us -- my husband sadly passed away from a brain tumor back in 2018. My DD is a wonderful travel companion and a huge Harry Potter fan who has read all of the books. She's in Gryffindor, and tells me I'm a Ravenclaw. :)

2021-11-08_16-46-20_304.jpeg

This will be a trip report with lots of pictures but I want to start with some tips for those who are planning a first trip. I had trouble finding some of these details so I hope they will be helpful to someone!

TIME OF YEAR: We traveled from Sunday, November 7 through Thursday, November and, apart from my daughter having to miss school, this was a perfect time to visit. The weather was beautiful -- highs in the upper 60's and 70's, sunny, dry, and no rain until late on Wednesday. The crowds were low. We are not thrill seekers so we didn't do the biggest rides, but we never waited in line more than ten minutes. We got up early and took advantage of early entry for resort guests, which was in Islands of Adventure during our stay (apparently this does not alternate with any predictability -- you have to check the crowd calendar a few weeks out).

TRANSPORTATION: We flew in to MCO on Southwest and arrived midday on Sunday. I debated how to get to our resort, but finally decided to use Super Star Shuttle. I don't know why they keep this service so well-hidden or why you can't book it online. I had to call around to get the right number -- the right one is 1-800-823-4733. The cost was $39 per person, round trip. So for two of us, it likely cost a little bit more than Uber, but I felt it was safer for a mom and child alone. The shuttle is run by Mears and the experience is largely the same as Magical Express, except you pick up your own luggage (we travel carry-on only). The bus was not crowded and masks were not enforced. It stopped at several other resorts, ours was last so it took about an hour. On the return trip, they picked us up three hours ahead (they give you the time when you check in with them at the airport) and there were no other stops so we were at the airport in fifteen minutes.
2021-11-09_13-27-31_232.jpeg
WHERE TO STAY: We stayed at the Cabana Bay Beach Resort and we were very pleased with it. It was the least expensive of the Universal resorts where you could still easily walk to the parks. It was already decorated for Christmas which was nice. We enjoyed the 50's theme -- my daughter has liked the 50s ever since she got the Maryellen doll from American Girl and read her books. The food court was huge and everything was clean. Our room was perfect for the two of us. We made no special requests and were put in the American a building, which was right above the food court. We tried both the shuttles, which came continuously, and the garden path, and found the distance we ended up walking was about the same either way. We ended only using the shuttle when I didn't want to walk in the dark (again, our of an abundance of caution). The resort did not feel crowded, it was quiet and we never had to wait for an elevator. We would definitely stay here again.

REUSABLE MUGS: Upon arrival we purchased two of the reusable resort mugs. These seem to be of the same manufacture as the ones we've had before at Disney resorts, and the Christmas designs were out already: 2021-11-07_14-10-14_545.jpeg

Here are the prices. We got ours for length of stay.

2021-11-10_14-03-50_170 (2).jpeg

This was a good decision for us. I sometimes wonder at Disney if the mugs are worth it because we don't really drink soda. Having the freestyle Coke machines and being able to get Powerade Zero and Minute Maid Light made all the difference for us.

2021-11-07_15-00-34_522 (2).jpeg

I also enjoyed the freshly brewed iced tea, which was so much better than the Gold Peak (blech!) that Disney offers.

2021-11-10_13-41-11_655 (2).jpeg

We did NOT buy the refillable cups in the parks. I knew we were going to try the butterbeer, and beyond that we just stuck to water since we got our fill of other drinks while back at the resort. Also, the Coke freestyle machines in both the resorts and the parks allow you to use the WATER choice with any bottle, so we just refilled our own bottles. The water was filtered and good.

TICKETS AND EXPRESS PASS: I purchased two park, three-day tickets from Sams Club with my membership there. You do not need to buy them ahead of time -- I waited until a couple of days before our trip. They email images to you that you can either print or just keep on your phone and show at the turnstiles, which I did. This probably saved me about $20 overall. Three days was plenty of time for us, but you will see from the report that we aren't big riders. We were able to take frequent breaks, go back to the room when we felt like it, and didn't feel rushed. DD sort of wanted to go to Volcano Bay at first, but since it was so cool that week, skipping it was a good call. We would probably go on a summer trip though. We did NOT purchase Express Passes and for us, they would have been a huge waste of money. We didn't have any desire to ride Hagrid's or Velocicoaster, and by arriving early and being among the first in the parks, we rode Gringotts and Forbidden Journey with no wait.

APPLE PAY: Apple Pay is available everywhere and I found this so convenient (maybe dangerously so!) I just kept my phone in my pocket to take pictures and pulled it out any time I needed to pay for something. I also used it to show my park tickets to get in to the parks, to ride Hogwarts Express between parks, and to get into the lockers. I never had to pull my wallet out at all.

LANYARDS, LOCKERS AND BAGS: I saw so much discussion about lanyards and we did not get any nor did we feel we needed them. Granted, we did not have Express Passes. I used a mini-backpack, which just barely fit in the free lockers, and DD used a string bag which fit fine and just barely fit her wand once she got it. I wore a hoodie most of the time and was able to put my phone in the interior pocket on rides. This worked fine, but I never rode anything that turned me upside down -- maybe a lanyard and paper ticket would be better in that circumstance. I had to keep my phone on me because to get into the lockers, you go to one of the screens and scan your park ticket (I used the one on my phone). Then a locker pops open. When you return, you scan your ticket again at the same screen (remember which one!) and the locker pops open again. There are screens in each bank of lockers and the locker that pops open will be very close to the screen you use. In my park bag I carried a small battery pack and short charger for my phone, a small toiletry/first aid bag, hand wipes, kleenex, a pack of gum, and my sunglasses. I had room to stuff my hoodie in there when I got warm, and often kept a small water bottle in the side pocket.

WHERE TO EAT: We ate at Bayliner Diner in the Cabana Bay hotel, Toothsome, Big Fire, The Leaky Cauldron, and Mythos. I will include reviews on these in the daily reports.

More to come!

Last edited:
My condolences on the loss of your husband.

I hope this trip bought you a lot of joy! Also as a bigfire fan I can’t wait to hear your review!

DAY ONE, SUNDAY NOVEMBER 7TH: TRAVEL, ARRIVAL, AND CITY WALK

We were up bright and early and drove to the Pittsburgh airport for an 8:15 AM flight. We parked in extended parking and I was surprised how long it took to find a parking space. We had a long walk, pulling our carry-on wheeled bags and personal items. We did not check any bags. We were at the gate by 7 am. We were in B boarding group and got seats together in about row 20 with no problem. Flight was uneventful -- I watched one of the free movies, Isn't it Romantic, and DD watched parts of several, skipping around. We landed shortly after 10 am to 60 degree, sunny weather. We found the check-in desk for Superstar Shuttle and were sent out to board a waiting bus around 10:45. We waited about fifteen minutes before it left, then it made stops at Dockside, Portofino, Royal Pacific, and AVentura before finally taking us to Cabana Bay Beach Resort around 12. We were told our room was not ready and they would text us when it was. We left our luggage with luggage storage and headed to Bayliner Diner for lunch since we were starving.

We bought our reusable mugs, and DD got her first of many Icees which delighted her. We got an adult grilled cheeese and a kids' grilled cheese, which came with a bag of baby carrots, a bag of grapes, and a juice box. Here's my sandwhich which was delicious:

2021-11-07_12-30-08_609.jpeg

After this we did some walking around, checking out the hotel and the Christmas decorations.

2021-11-07_12-49-50_853.jpeg

2021-11-07_14-55-14_635.jpeg

Since it was a weekend, the Atomic Pool was open, and DD couldn't resist, in spite of it being 63 degrees at the moment. The pools are heated and the water was quite warm. So we fetched her suit from the luggage and she spent a happy hour riding the slide while I sipped from my refillable mug and enjoyed the sunshine.

2021-11-07_13-26-52_901 (2).jpeg

She dried off and got dressed, and by now it was 3 pm and I decided to go pester the front desk about our room. They said it was ready, and we were put in the Americana building. We retrieved our luggage and headed up to our room on the 6th floor.

2021-11-07_15-20-24_221.jpeg2021-11-07_15-20-32_923.jpeg

We unpacked, rested a bit and then decided to head out to City Walk for dinner. We took the Garden Path which was a pleasant 20 minute stroll. 2021-11-07_16-06-35_022.jpeg When you arrive at City Walk there is security -- just a bag check and metal detector. We did some shopping, and picked up some macarons and candy from the store in Toothsome. We checked in early for our 6 pm reservation and were seated at 5:45. While we were waiting we had a lengthy chat with the steampunk characters who were quite fun:

2021-11-07_17-38-58_321.jpeg

More in Part 2.

Last edited:
DAY ONE, PART TWO

Dinner at Toothsome: We were seated upstairs at a table for two and checked out the entertaining screens showing the chocolate factory.

2021-11-07_17-56-30_545.jpeg

I believe DD had a kids' burger meal, with some delicious fries. I had the half-size sedona BBQ chicken salad:

2021-11-07_18-24-23_617.jpeg

The food was fine, but we were really there for the milkshakes, which were so delicious they were worth going there for alone. DD had the marshmallow krispie 2021-11-07_18-40-09_612 (2).jpegand I had "Chocolate X5" which had a delicious chocolate whipped cream on top.

They are served in plastic souvenir cups, so we couldn't finish, but carried them out with us.

2021-11-07_18-40-41_850 (2).jpeg

I took this picture as I was leaving -- Toothsome is so picturesque.

2021-11-07_18-53-07_525 (2).jpeg

When we left we couldn't figure out where the shuttles were back to our hotel. We wound up at the same security stop we came in by, and the guard there advised us to walk down to get on a boat to Sapphire Falls, then walk to Cabana Bay from there. This turned out to be bad advice. The boat ride was delightful, and when we walked out of Sapphire Falls, we could see Cabana Bay right across the street. But there was a sign saying you couldn't cross the street there, so we had to double back along the garden path, and it was another 10-15 minutes just to get back over to Cabana Bay, and we were tired by then. Later in the week we realized how close the busses were and they really were not hard to find if we had tried a bit longer instead of taking the guard's advice. We went to bed early after a long day.

Last edited:

Enjoying your trip report. Toothsome desserts are the bomb.

To fix your sideways pics, crop them just a tiny bit (any direction) and they'll then upload right-side-up.

DAY TWO: DIAGON ALLEY, SEUSS LANDING, BIG FIRE

We awoke early to very chilly, but clear and sunny, weather.

2021-11-08_07-45-45_000.png

We walked the garden path to Universal Studios and arrived at 8:15. There were perhaps twenty people in front of us.

2021-11-08_08-26-12_554.jpeg

They opened up and let us in around 8:50 for the 9 am opening. I had no trouble using the tickets on my phone.

We headed for Diagon Alley, but made a wrong turn and went the wrong way, through Central Park. I couldn't find a good map before going -- I thought the one in the app was pretty useless. It wasn't a big deal though, Diagon Alley was not crowded when we got there.

2021-11-08_08-58-55_126 (2).jpeg

NOTE: DD brought along robes she wore for Halloween a couple of years ago. I bought these on Amazon for maybe $30? They were not as nice as the ones sold in the parks (for over $100) but they were cool and comfortable, could be stuffed in her backpack easily, and DD was satisfied.

2021-11-08_08-59-05_407.jpeg

We decided to ride Escape from Gringotts first. It was a walk-on.

2021-11-08_09-01-48_483 (2).jpeg

We enjoyed the little touches in the queue, though we were walking through so fast we hardly had time to take them in.

2021-11-08_09-04-09_873.jpeg

We rode Gringott's and DD was very nervous as she really doesn't do rollercoasters. I loved the ride, which was like a roller coaster with frequent stops to watch screens. She survived it but said she was not riding it again.

After that we walked around Diagon Alley checking out all the shops. DD was very interested in the sweets shop and bought a bag of candy there.

2021-11-08_09-29-39_080 (2).jpeg

We went in Weasleys' Wizarding Wheezes, where DD was very disappointed to discover was sold out of Pygmy Puffs, as this was one of her desired souvenirs.

2021-11-08_09-24-30_222.jpeg

We found Knockturn Alley, which took some hunting -- the entrance is next to that for the Leaky Cauldron. Once you know where it is, it's easy to find.

At this point we decided it was time to try some butterbeer. We went to the Hopping Pot where there was plenty of outdoor seating available at the moment:

2021-11-08_09-33-28_936.jpeg

The butterbeer was $8 per serving. I got the warm -- I was happy it was cool enough to try it. It was delicious. DD got the frozen, and loved it -- I tried it and found it much sweeter than the warm version, also delicious but I probably couldn't drink the whole cup.

2021-11-08_09-36-58_149 (2).jpeg

More in Part 2.

Hey Becky.....

I am so sorry to hear of your husband passing. Life can be so unfair.

You have a lovely daughter and she does look like a fun companion and she also has the most amazing and happy smile......

Happy to read you enjoyed Cabana Bay so much and your time in the parks so far look amazing......glad you liked the warm Butterbeer.....thoroughly enjoying reading along and looking forward to more.......

I'm so sorry about the loss of your husband. It's wonderful that you are making great memories with your DD.

I know it's after the fact, but Magical Menagerie in Diagon Alley also sells Pygmy Puffs and maybe in the HP section of some of the big Universal stores at the front of the parks and City Walk. I got mine at Zonko's at IoA before they closed that store to open up Weasley's.

E.T.A. Unless of course, they were out due to the ongoing supply chain disruptions, which is something I didn't consider at first.

I love seeing Diagon Alley so quiet in the mornings.

Looking forward to more of your TR!

DAY TWO PART TWO

We decided to leave Diagon Alley at this point. We first had a quick visit with the Knight Bus

2021-11-08_09-58-42_272.jpeg

Then we went over the bridge and rode Men in Black, which is a spinning ride where you shoot at aliens. It was fun and we both enjoyed it (and we both love Will Smith). Then we went and rode ET, which my daughter promptly became obsessed with, and insisted on buying an ET plush toy later that day. We decided to head towards the Hello Kitty store which we had run past that morning, and on our way we ran into the Scooby Gang!

2021-11-08_10-39-39_612.jpeg

DD went through a Scooby phase and had that as the theme for her 4th birthday party, so this was fun. We also saw the DeLorean from Back to the Future -- one of my childhood loves!

2021-11-08_10-20-24_743.jpeg

By now we were getting hungry since we didn't really have breakfast. We checked the Leaky Cauldron, but the line was really long, so we decided to head over to Islands of Adventure, thinking we'd have more choices there. We excitedly headed to Platform 9 3/4, something we had really been looking forward to, and it didn't disappoint.

2021-11-08_11-13-48_322.jpeg2021-11-08_11-28-47_701.jpeg

We came out into a very crowded Hogsmeade and grabbed a quick picture with the Hogwarts express conductor.

2021-11-08_11-34-11_487.jpeg

We looked around a little, and concluded that the line at the Three Broomsticks was too long, so we decided to walk until we found somewhere to eat. This turned into a tired, hungry slog past disappointing selections and long lines. We finally ended up at Blondie's in Toon Lagoon, where we were able to sit down, but I had a very disappointing sandwich. DD had a hot dog which pleased her. This meal was frankly pretty terrible, especially for the price, but that's what we get for not really having a plan. I listened to everyone who said just wander around and have fun, and in this instance, that didn't work.

After that we headed to Seuss Landing, and I quickly wished we had eaten there instead, as Circus McGurkus or even the Green Eggs and Ham place probably would have been better. We rode the Cat in the Hat, One Fish, Two Fish, and the HIgh in the Sky Trolley Train Ride, and also saw some characters. DD LOVED all Seuss Landing. The rides were pretty much her speed, and she is just far enough out from reading these books that it was nostalgic for her, but she got all the references, which are everywhere. She was also in her school's production of Seussical the Musical last spring, so that added to her interest. She even spent time in the play area and posed sitting on Horton's egg. This area of the park is really well done. I was just disappointed that the carousel was closed.

2021-11-08_12-51-32_199.jpeg

After this we finished the circle but didn't see anything else we wanted to ride, so we took the Hogwarts Express back to the Studios. I had seen on the app that the wait at Ollivander's was only 5 minutes, so we decided it was time to get DD her wand. A younger boy was chosen and we enjoyed the brief show, then DD picked out Hermione's wand:
2021-11-08_14-27-11_909 (2).jpeg

She tried it out a bit, but Diagon Alley was super crowded at this point, so we decided she'd have better luck doing spells early in the morning when there was room to breathe. I checked the app and decided to drag DD to see the Jason Bourne Stunt Spectacular. She did not love the noise, but I thought this was one of the best shows I have ever seen. It's similar to the Indiana Jones show at Hollywood Studios, but there is a screen behind the live action, and it all blended together so seamlessly I often couldn't tell what was real and what was on the screen. Highly recommend this.

We then rode Shrek 4D, which we both enjoyed.

We did a little shopping, and they were clearing the streets for the parade, but we were tired and decided to head to City Walk. We had a 6 pm seating at Big Fire, but they took us early, around 5:30 as soon as we checked in. We started with the bread appetizer, which wasn't as good as it sounded. DD had kids chicken tenders which she liked. I ordered the beer glazed scallops, and asked for extra vegetables instead of the charred hearth bread. This was probably my best meal of the trip. The scallops and vegetables were absolutely delicious. 2021-11-08_17-56-31_797.jpeg

We of course ended with the tableside smores.

2021-11-08_18-19-36_741.jpeg

We did a bit more shopping, then decided to take the shuttle back to Cabana Bay around 7:30. The walk to the shuttles was longer than I expected, though there are some moving walkways, and the bus was waiting when we got there. It had remained cool all day, and I was comfortable in a fleece hoodie the entire time. We ended with over 19,000 steps on my Fitbit Luxe, and finished the day watching Chamber of Secrets on TV.

I'm so sorry about the loss of your husband. It's wonderful that you are making great memories with your DD.

I know it's after the fact, but Magical Menagerie in Diagon Alley also sells Pygmy Puffs and maybe in the HP section of some of the big Universal stores at the front of the parks and City Walk. I got mine at Zonko's at IoA before they closed that store to open up Weasley's.

E.T.A. Unless of course, they were out due to the ongoing supply chain disruptions, which is something I didn't consider at first.

I love seeing Diagon Alley so quiet in the mornings.

Looking forward to more of your TR!

Thank you! And as to the hunt for the Pygmy Puff, stay tuned!

DAY TWO PART TWO

We decided to leave Diagon Alley at this point. We first had a quick visit with the Knight Bus

View attachment 624984

Then we went over the bridge and rode Men in Black, which is a spinning ride where you shoot at aliens. It was fun and we both enjoyed it (and we both love Will Smith). Then we went and rode ET, which my daughter promptly became obsessed with, and insisted on buying an ET plush toy later that day. We decided to head towards the Hello Kitty store which we had run past that morning, and on our way we ran into the Scooby Gang!

View attachment 624985

DD went through a Scooby phase and had that as the theme for her 4th birthday party, so this was fun. We also saw the DeLorean from Back to the Future -- one of my childhood loves!

View attachment 624986

By now we were getting hungry since we didn't really have breakfast. We checked the Leaky Cauldron, but the line was really long, so we decided to head over to Islands of Adventure, thinking we'd have more choices there. We excitedly headed to Platform 9 3/4, something we had really been looking forward to, and it didn't disappoint.

View attachment 624987View attachment 624988

We came out into a very crowded Hogsmeade and grabbed a quick picture with the Hogwarts express conductor.

View attachment 624990

We looked around a little, and concluded that the line at the Three Broomsticks was too long, so we decided to walk until we found somewhere to eat. This turned into a tired, hungry slog past disappointing selections and long lines. We finally ended up at Blondie's in Toon Lagoon, where we were able to sit down, but I had a very disappointing sandwich. DD had a hot dog which pleased her. This meal was frankly pretty terrible, especially for the price, but that's what we get for not really having a plan. I listened to everyone who said just wander around and have fun, and in this instance, that didn't work.

After that we headed to Seuss Landing, and I quickly wished we had eaten there instead, as Circus McGurkus or even the Green Eggs and Ham place probably would have been better. We rode the Cat in the Hat, One Fish, Two Fish, and the HIgh in the Sky Trolley Train Ride, and also saw some characters. DD LOVED all Seuss Landing. The rides were pretty much her speed, and she is just far enough out from reading these books that it was nostalgic for her, but she got all the references, which are everywhere. She was also in her school's production of Seussical the Musical last spring, so that added to her interest. She even spent time in the play area and posed sitting on Horton's egg. This area of the park is really well done. I was just disappointed that the carousel was closed.

View attachment 624991

After this we finished the circle but didn't see anything else we wanted to ride, so we took the Hogwarts Express back to the Studios. I had seen on the app that the wait at Ollivander's was only 5 minutes, so we decided it was time to get DD her wand. A younger boy was chosen and we enjoyed the brief show, then DD picked out Hermione's wand:
View attachment 624993

She tried it out a bit, but Diagon Alley was super crowded at this point, so we decided she'd have better luck doing spells early in the morning when there was room to breathe. I checked the app and decided to drag DD to see the Jason Bourne Stunt Spectacular. She did not love the noise, but I thought this was one of the best shows I have ever seen. It's similar to the Indiana Jones show at Hollywood Studios, but there is a screen behind the live action, and it all blended together so seamlessly I often couldn't tell what was real and what was on the screen. Highly recommend this.

We then rode Shrek 4D, which we both enjoyed.

We did a little shopping, and they were clearing the streets for the parade, but we were tired and decided to head to City Walk. We had a 6 pm seating at Big Fire, but they took us early, around 5:30 as soon as we checked in. We started with the bread appetizer, which wasn't as good as it sounded. DD had kids chicken tenders which she liked. I ordered the beer glazed scallops, and asked for extra vegetables instead of the charred hearth bread. This was probably my best meal of the trip. The scallops and vegetables were absolutely delicious. View attachment 624994

We of course ended with the tableside smores.

View attachment 625005

We did a bit more shopping, then decided to take the shuttle back to Cabana Bay around 7:30. The walk to the shuttles was longer than I expected, though there are some moving walkways, and the bus was waiting when we got there. It had remained cool all day, and I was comfortable in a fleece hoodie the entire time. We ended with over 19,000 steps on my Fitbit Luxe, and finished the day watching Chamber of Secrets on TV.
Elated to hear we have another ET fan!

BigFire was the best meal of the Universal portion of the trip hands down! That scallops appetizer was outstanding! Sadly we were too full for dessert but my god did that SMORES platter look great!

I am enjoying reading your trip report! We are going for our first time in December this year. I am making notes and checking them twice! :-)

Catching up on your TR. So sorry for your loss. What a wonderful, wonderful trip you two are having. Most of my (very limited) traveling was just Mama and me, and what happy memories I have of those times. I love all the Harry Potter fun and pictures, and love reading about a fan's first time experiencing it all. Such a magical place! sorry about lunch plans, hangry and theme parks are not good. We love MiB too, and Seussland. the whole area is so well themed.
Thanks for sharing all the fun, and great info/reviews!!

DAY 3 TUESDAY NOVEMBER 9TH

Well, to be honest I did not feel great when I woke up Tuesday morning. I was worn out from the past two days, and woke up really early so I didn't get enough sleep. Our plan for the day was early entry at Islands of Adventure at 8, so I was up at 6 and in the shower. We decided to take the shuttle instead of walking to spare ourselves some steps. The bus was waiting when we walked out to the stop, but it was standing room only, so we waited for the next one -- less than five minutes. It was quite chilly that morning and the walk from the bus stop to IOA seemed long. In fact, when I compared the distance we had walked on the garden path the day before to USO, the distance was almost exactly the same -- about .65 miles. So the shuttle did not save us any steps!

They let us in to IOA around 7:45 and we headed straight towards Hogsmeade. They stopped us at the bridge to Seussland to see our room cards to show that we had access to early entry.

I got a quick picture of DD on the bridge since it wasn't crowded. It was a beautiful morning! I added some wand magic to the picture using the app LensLight.

2021-11-09_17-45-17_922.jpeg

We headed towards Forbidden Journey right away. DD was wearing her robes and one of the employees at the entrance said to her "welcome, Gryffindor" which was cute. We enjoyed the queue and boarded the ride and that's when the fun ended. OMG this might be the worst ride I have ever been on for motion sickness! DD was terrified and crying but I could do nothing for her because I was concentrating very hard on not throwing up! I had to keep my eyes closed most of the time, and only got glimpses of the ride. We got off and declared we would never ride it again. Oh well, live and learn!

We were hungry and nauseous so we decided to go back to Crescent Moon bakery in Port of Entry for some food. We got some pastries in there and I got a big iced tea which really helped. The pastries were so-so in my opinion. Nothing tasted very fresh.

On our way back to Hogsmeade we rode Cat in the Hat again and DD rode One Fish, Blue Fish by herself. Right around 9 we decided to take the Hogwarts Express back to USO. We got a car to ourselves!

2021-11-09_09-40-40_617.jpeg

In Diagon Alley, we decided to ask about Pygmy Puffs in Magical Menagerie. The woman working there told us she had the only 3 left in all of US. She had to go in the back to get it for us, but DD was thrilled.

2021-11-09_10-07-25_766 (2).jpeg

We did all the spells in Diagon Alley and did some more window shopping, then got in line for the Leaky Cauldron around 10:45 (we learned our lesson yesterday). We were seated right away when they opened at 11. You order at the counter here, then they bring the food to your seat. I will say they were stingy with the room temperature free water here. The Leaky Cauldron is right out of the movies.

2021-11-09_10-34-59_407 (2).jpeg

DD got a kids' mac n cheese which she liked and I got the most amazing fish and chips. I was seriously surprised by how good it was!!

2021-11-09_10-42-09_058.jpeg

We had the sticky toffee pudding for dessert but it was nothing special, we didn't even finish it.

After our early lunch, we left Diagon Alley and headed over to the Simpsons area, where DD wanted to ride the alien ride. She rode that by herself and I enjoyed seeing her sail by with a big happy smile on her face. When we walked away from there, I was excited to spot Doc Brown hanging out with his train time machine from Back to the Future 3.

2021-11-09_11-16-47_622.jpeg

After this we went to see the Animal Actors show. We both loved this show, DD especially since there were many "cute" animals. I'm pretty sure I saw this same show a few years ago at the Columbus Zoo in Ohio, but it was very enjoyable.

I think it was at this point we tried to ride ET again, but it was shut down, so we went back to Diagon Alley so I could get a butterbeer ice cream at Florean Fortescue's. This is soft serve and it was delicious. I thoroughly enjoyed every bite!

2021-11-09_12-16-26_432.jpeg

DD didn't want ice cream, so she got some more candy at the sweet shop instead.

At this point we couldn't think of anything else we wanted to do, so we took the garden path back to Cabana Bay. It had warmed up to a high of 78 this day, and we enjoyed the sun on the walk.

2021-11-09_13-02-14_885.jpeg

Back at the hotel, DD spent the afternoon in the pool, and I sat on the lounge chair in shorts and a t-shirt just resting my legs and enjoying the sun and comfortable temperatures.

2021-11-09_14-48-19_000.jpeg

The pool was not at all crowded, so it was very relaxing. I filled my mug in the food court before heading out, then several more times throughout the evening.

A FEW TIPS: I should add here that we did receive housekeeping in our room each day. I wasn't expecting it, because we had stayed in a Hampton Inn in September that did not offer any housekeeping. They texted me too the first day to see if we needed anything. There was one day we came back and the maid was in our room, so we just grabbed our stuff and hung out in the lobby until she was finished. Also, there was hot water available in the beverage area, but no tea bags that I saw. Luckily I packed my own, and I did make myself a hot tea in the chilly mornings.

We were supposed to eat at Margaritaville this evening, but decided it wasn't worth the effort of going back to City Walk. We had dinner in the Bayliner Diner, which was nothing special, watched another Harry Potter movie on TV, and went to bed early. In spite of our early departure from the parks, I still had 17,000 steps that day!

Becky I’am enjoying reading your trip report. You are the best mom taking your daughter on such a fun vacation. You are making wonderful memories she will never forget.

You have a lot of great information in your report and great photos.

I’am so glad you were able to find a Pygmy Puff for your daughter. That was the first gift my granddaughter wanted from the WWOHP.

Looking forward to reading more.

DAY 3 TUESDAY NOVEMBER 9TH

Well, to be honest I did not feel great when I woke up Tuesday morning. I was worn out from the past two days, and woke up really early so I didn't get enough sleep. Our plan for the day was early entry at Islands of Adventure at 8, so I was up at 6 and in the shower. We decided to take the shuttle instead of walking to spare ourselves some steps. The bus was waiting when we walked out to the stop, but it was standing room only, so we waited for the next one -- less than five minutes. It was quite chilly that morning and the walk from the bus stop to IOA seemed long. In fact, when I compared the distance we had walked on the garden path the day before to USO, the distance was almost exactly the same -- about .65 miles. So the shuttle did not save us any steps!

They let us in to IOA around 7:45 and we headed straight towards Hogsmeade. They stopped us at the bridge to Seussland to see our room cards to show that we had access to early entry.

I got a quick picture of DD on the bridge since it wasn't crowded. It was a beautiful morning! I added some wand magic to the picture using the app LensLight.

View attachment 626838

We headed towards Forbidden Journey right away. DD was wearing her robes and one of the employees at the entrance said to her "welcome, Gryffindor" which was cute. We enjoyed the queue and boarded the ride and that's when the fun ended. OMG this might be the worst ride I have ever been on for motion sickness! DD was terrified and crying but I could do nothing for her because I was concentrating very hard on not throwing up! I had to keep my eyes closed most of the time, and only got glimpses of the ride. We got off and declared we would never ride it again. Oh well, live and learn!

We were hungry and nauseous so we decided to go back to Crescent Moon bakery in Port of Entry for some food. We got some pastries in there and I got a big iced tea which really helped. The pastries were so-so in my opinion. Nothing tasted very fresh.

On our way back to Hogsmeade we rode Cat in the Hat again and DD rode One Fish, Blue Fish by herself. Right around 9 we decided to take the Hogwarts Express back to USO. We got a car to ourselves!

View attachment 626839

In Diagon Alley, we decided to ask about Pygmy Puffs in Magical Menagerie. The woman working there told us she had the only 3 left in all of US. She had to go in the back to get it for us, but DD was thrilled.

View attachment 626842

We did all the spells in Diagon Alley and did some more window shopping, then got in line for the Leaky Cauldron around 10:45 (we learned our lesson yesterday). We were seated right away when they opened at 11. You order at the counter here, then they bring the food to your seat. I will say they were stingy with the room temperature free water here. The Leaky Cauldron is right out of the movies.

View attachment 627108

DD got a kids' mac n cheese which she liked and I got the most amazing fish and chips. I was seriously surprised by how good it was!!

View attachment 626844

We had the sticky toffee pudding for dessert but it was nothing special, we didn't even finish it.

After our early lunch, we left Diagon Alley and headed over to the Simpsons area, where DD wanted to ride the alien ride. She rode that by herself and I enjoyed seeing her sail by with a big happy smile on her face. When we walked away from there, I was excited to spot Doc Brown hanging out with his train time machine from Back to the Future 3.

View attachment 627109

After this we went to see the Animal Actors show. We both loved this show, DD especially since there were many "cute" animals. I'm pretty sure I saw this same show a few years ago at the Columbus Zoo in Ohio, but it was very enjoyable.

I think it was at this point we tried to ride ET again, but it was shut down, so we went back to Diagon Alley so I could get a butterbeer ice cream at Florean Fortescue's. This is soft serve and it was delicious. I thoroughly enjoyed every bite!

View attachment 627110

DD didn't want ice cream, so she got some more candy at the sweet shop instead.

At this point we couldn't think of anything else we wanted to do, so we took the garden path back to Cabana Bay. It had warmed up to a high of 78 this day, and we enjoyed the sun on the walk.

View attachment 627112

Back at the hotel, DD spent the afternoon in the pool, and I sat on the lounge chair in shorts and a t-shirt just resting my legs and enjoying the sun and comfortable temperatures.

View attachment 627114

The pool was not at all crowded, so it was very relaxing. I filled my mug in the food court before heading out, then several more times throughout the evening.

A FEW TIPS: I should add here that we did receive housekeeping in our room each day. I wasn't expecting it, because we had stayed in a Hampton Inn in September that did not offer any housekeeping. They texted me too the first day to see if we needed anything. There was one day we came back and the maid was in our room, so we just grabbed our stuff and hung out in the lobby until she was finished. Also, there was hot water available in the beverage area, but no tea bags that I saw. Luckily I packed my own, and I did make myself a hot tea in the chilly mornings.

We were supposed to eat at Margaritaville this evening, but decided it wasn't worth the effort of going back to City Walk. We had dinner in the Bayliner Diner, which was nothing special, watched another Harry Potter movie on TV, and went to bed early. In spite of our early departure from the parks, I still had 17,000 steps that day!
Sorry to hear about your experience on FJ (and please tell your daughter that my first time riding it freaked me out too and I was a full grown adult at the time)
Leaky Cauldron is amazing! Still haven’t tried dinner but can’t go wrong with breakfast or lunch!
If you return to UOR I highly recommend trying the Granny Smith apple or the Earl grey and lavender ice cream from Florean Fortescues.
loved Doc Brown when we went in September!

Loving this trip report.

DAY 4 WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 10TH

I had a bit of a cold this day and woke up feeling tired and congested. Two Advil and a very hot shower and I felt like I could go on. On our way out of the resort, I got a picture of DD with the tree in the lobby.

2021-11-10_07-11-10_631 (2).jpeg

We took the garden path once again to Islands of Adventure, arriving around 7:30 for the 8 am early entry for resort guests. They let us in about ten minutes early and we headed straight for Hogsmeade. We really enjoyed seeing it early in the morning with no crowds.

2021-11-10_07-59-44_236 (2).jpeg

2021-11-10_07-59-09_275.jpeg

We got a picture of us on the bridge by the castle, wearing the matching t-shirts we had gotten for DD's birthday party. They say "Mischief Creator" and "Mischief Manager."

2021-11-12_16-17-38_929.jpeg

We walked around Hogsmeade and made sure we had done every magic spell available. This was fun since it wasn't crowded yet. At 9 we took the Hogwarts Express back to US, and did yet more spells, and had more butter beer. We also tried a Cauldron Cake and some Unmeltable Ice Cream, both of which were disappointing.

At this point we wandered around trying to find something to ride. I had wanted to see the horror makeup show, but the times never worked out right. DD was not willing to wait in line for half an hour for Minions. We rode Jimmy Fallon Race Through New York, which DD enjoyed, laughing the whole way through, but I found nauseating so I just kept my eyes closed. We rode ET again, which turned out to be DD's favorite ride.

We took the Hogwarts Express back to IOA for our lunch at Mythos. DD had kids pasta which she said was bland. I had the Souvlaki Couscous Bowl which was very good.

2021-11-10_11-54-12_989 (2).jpeg

2021-11-10_12-15-51_949 (2).jpeg

We went back to Seuss Landing and rode Cat in the Hat again, and the train. DD was happy to see more characters, including the Cat in the Hat.

2021-11-10_12-44-22_180 (2).jpeg

At some point on this day, we went to the Christmas store in Port of Entry and I bought a Hogwarts ornament. Honestly, I was disappointed in the ornament selection. The one I bought was not great quality. They had nice ornaments if you wanted a specific house or a Quidditch ornament.

Around 1 pm it started to rain, so we decided to hop on the shuttle back to our hotel. We didn't do much this afternoon since it was raining. We hung out in the lobby, browsed the gift shop again, got snacks from Starbucks, and for dinner a pizza from the food court.

We only had 14,000 steps this day. Watched Prisoner of Azkaban on TV and went to bed early again.

Loving your trip report! I just love mother daughter trips!! Would’ve done the same for my son but he’s busy in college. Some day.

We just loved those fish and chips also, as well as that creamy dreamy Butterbeer ice cream! Yum! Oh and I love that cool magic wand photoshop feature you added. Makes the pics look even more stunning.

That’s awesome the Cat in the Hat was out. I don’t think we’ve seen him out yet.

Last edited:
So glad you were able to score a Pygmy Puff for your DD.

I will need to find that app that adds "Lumos" to the wand, looks great!

Sorry you had such a bad FJ experience. I was quite queasy the first time I went on with my DD, and avoided it for a few trips and now I can do it again. I think all the different effects/motion combined were too much for me, but now I know the ride by heart and my body knows what to expect. (maybe?)

I found Three Broomsticks and Leaky Cauldron both one and done eating experiences. Went there for the ambience, took some photos, have no need to go back. I'll run into the Hogs Head for a beer/Butterbeer but that's it.

It's so magical to be in DA or Hogsmeade when it's almost empty.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter