Occupancy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Before you discount the cost of a 2B altogether, at least consider some of the other ways in which the room could be a benefit to you. All DVC 2Bs have a FULL kitchen. In one trip to the grocery store, you can essentially pay for every breakfast you will have on the trip (frozen waffles, cereal, bagles, pop tarts) and you can also save a ton of $$$ by purchasing your own beverages (bottled water, soda, etc.)

If you want to take it a step further, you could throw in other meals (lunch meat, chips, fruit, frozen pizza, etc.) but some folks are resistent to going that far on vacation.

Most guidebooks recommend budgeting $50 per person, per day for food at WDW. The savings add up quick when you aren't paying $20 for a breakfast buffet and $2.50 per soda.

You also get the privacy of two bedrooms and a separate living area. If you've got 4 under age 8, I'm assuming some are still in that napping stage. Imagine being able to lay the kids down in another room while you kick-up your feet for a couple hours.

You get a washer and dryer in-room. Imagine only having to pack clothes for 1/3 of your trip, and still wearing something fresh every day. When the humidity is high, or we get caught in a rainstorm, it's not uncommon for us to change clothes in the middle of the day.

Oh, and there's also a whirlpool tub in the master bedroom. Great for nursing those sore feet after a long day at the parks.

I agree with raz. We always get a 2BR and we are a family of four. It is just so nice and we save money on food using the kitchen. My wife cooks some wonderful meals while we are there (we go out though also). Plus, we take ONE giant suitcase (and a couple of carry-ons) and do laundry. High Speed, Low Drag. :)

only other option would be to bring an airmattress although I'm not sure where it could be put if the sofabed is out.

Just FYI - We frequently travel with my BIL so it's 3 adults and my DD - who is now 9. A few years ago I bought a twin inflatable mattress and a portable pump. I take the mattress, pump and a set of sheets on every vacation. We have stayed at BWV and requested a Daybed, but never got it. We move the table to by the balcony and put the airmattress along the wall just past the kitchenette (at the foot of the bed) During the day we just stand it up against the wall (as well as always folding up the sofa bed). This airmattress has paid for itself many times over (I refuse to pay for a rollaway). we have used at at All Star Resorts, CSR, BWV, Dolphin, OKW, as well as many off site hotels. You may want to consider the investment. While DVC will likely push you into a 2BR as the children get older - other hotels do allow 5 in a room and you may find it comes in handy for many years.

OKW studio would be your best bet as you could easily slide an air mattress under one of the queen beds during the day. If your the "out all day type" a studio would be fine. On the other hand, if you like to lounge around the resort a lot a 1-br unit would work very well for you. You know your family comfort level best and what accomodations will fit your vacation style.

Happy vacationing....Johnnie

Here's an idea that worked for us (but would only work if your kids are very young and close in age ... or vertically challenged...)

We had a 2br at VWL but gave up the master br to our bil/sil and their child. That left me and dh and our 3 kids in the 2nd br. It had 2 queen beds (like what you'd find in a studio at OKW). DH and I took one queen bed. THe 2 boys (aged 6 and 7) took the other. However -- there was all kinds of "space" at the end of the bed. We asked for a bed rail and put dd (age 2 but no way willing to sleep in a pack-n-play) across the end of that bed. She had her own pillow, some blankets, etc. THis worked quite well! Just something to consider....

We are planning a Dec 2005 WDW vacation and our home resort is OKW. Our total party will be 4 Adults, 4 Chlidren (3-5 yrs old) and 1 Infant (1 year old). My question is will DVC allow us to stay in a 2 BR with this many people? Bed wise we will be OK, because the infant will sleep in the pack and play. I am not sure if there are any fire regulations that prohibit more than 8 bodies in the room.

Also, has anyone done this and not told Disney about the infant? They don't need park admission or anything. Whats one more little kid?

I just wanted to get people's thoughts here before I called disney to find out their policy.

Scott

Generally speaking, the consensus is that Disney allows the room occupance limit plus one child under 3 that can sleep in the Pak n Play crib.

In your case, the limit is 8 people, so I'd say you're within the stated limits.

Your party fits within the guidleines, so yes, you may have that many people in a single 2 bedroom unit.

But are you sure you want to? Five children 5 and under in the same room (even in the larger units of OKW) would be way too many for me!

Best wishes -

I always figured as long as there was enough bed space for everyone (as there is for 8 in a 2BR)...we'd stay in the smaller units. That was until we were at SSR in a 1BR last week.

From now on...this family of 5 will only stay in a 2br or larger! :) It might be different at OKW where you have more square feet to work with...but I couldn't have a nice vacation with 8 people in any other 2BR. When hanging out in the living area, you will be stepping all over each other!

We got a tour of an OKW GV while we were there...ahhh....the space! I did miss the "new-ness" and the upscale, more formal furnishings of SSR...but there will be a time when we'll want that OKW Grand Villa!

You are within the limit guidelines.
And you will be quite comfortable too. I have done it with 5 kids ranging from 1/12 - 8

A studio is designed for 4 people, or 5 if one of the occupants is still crib size...I believe they say under the age of 2.

Okay.. I have been surfing these boards too long:(

I'm curious...... Considering asking my sister and her son to join us at OKW next summer. A studio would be large enough for us: 2 adults and 3 kids (5, 7 and 11)

I have read that some people use an air matress in studio rooms to sleep 5 guest instead of just the 4. ;)

On another board I read that if you do early entry that they check your room key to make sure you are a guest. :eek:

What do you do about this 5 person?? Do you add them to your guest list and DVC knows that you have 5 in your room? :confused:

:wave:
Shari

Originally posted by shari2shop
Okay.. I have been surfing these boards too long:(

I'm curious...... Considering asking my sister and her son to join us at OKW next summer. A studio would be large enough for us: 2 adults and 3 kids (5, 7 and 11)

I have read that some people use an air matress in studio rooms to sleep 5 guest instead of just the 4. ;)

On another board I read that if you do early entry that they check your room key to make sure you are a guest. :eek:

What do you do about this 5 person?? Do you add them to your guest list and DVC knows that you have 5 in your room? :confused:

Shari

Well this is one of the problems with exceeding the occupancy limits. Disney won't throw you out for going over, but they won't provide bedding, towels, or an ID for this extra person. Sorry this person will not be able to get in for early entry.

Recently they have been very diligent at the parks about checking for ID and turning hundreds of people away without the proper ID. You could go and take the kids and have your sister join you after Early Entry.

We get a 2 bedroom if we have 5 in our group so we do not have to leave someone behind.

For the extra magic hour we have had to show a card for each member of our party of 6.

I am not a proponent of five in a studio (even for the overly large OKW rooms that don't have long hallways). The rules state 4 and one child under 3 in a crib. To get a key to the world card for all five of you, you are going to have to tell MS how many you really plan to have in the room. Whether they will make that reservation for the five of you or not, I don't know but I would think not.

Wouldn't your group be a lot more comfortable with 2 studios or a 2BR anyway?

HBC

I was just curious as to what people who had used the air matress did about EE.

Thanks
Shari

Just because people may choose to use an air mattress doesn't mean that they are exceeding the occupancy limits. You probably won't find many teenaged siblings, particularly of the opposite sex, who enjoy sharing a bed with one another.

Originally posted by tjkraz
Just because people may choose to use an air mattress doesn't mean that they are exceeding the occupancy limits. You probably won't find many teenaged siblings, particularly of the opposite sex, who enjoy sharing a bed with one another.

I realize that.... I was curious about comments from the ones that do use them for an extra person and their experience with EE.

Thanks
Shari

Originally posted by Johnnie Fedora
Why can't you just ask for an extra key?

*L* What a GREAT idea!!! Why didn't I think of that.

Actually I figure I'll just stick with my original plan of bring DH (instead of sister and nephew). My DH will be sooo thrilled:rolleyes:

Thanks!
Shari

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter