Occupancy Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Doctor P
Here is the wording from the Product Understanding Checklist that each owner signs as part of the disclosures: "Occupancy in DVC Resort Vacation Homes is limited to 4 persons in a Studio or 1-bedroom, 8 persons in a 2-Bedroom, and 12 persons in a 3-Bedroom Grand Villa."
I think DVC should have available some one bedroom units that would sleep 5 or 6. It only makes sense, studio 4, 1 BR 6, 2 Br 8. Just have a one BR with two queen size beds in the bedroom, or a King and pullout sofa bed, or an extra sofa bed in the living area, whetever.

plamp, I have to say that I agree with you, as many people do, that it would be nice if there were other options for families of 5 or 6. However, there aren't at DVC or any other T/S we have stayed at. I guess I just DISAGREE that the 2 bedroom is extreme overkill for families of that size. Our kids are 6 through 13 years old, and the 6 of us FILL UP the 2 bedroom units quite well, even the huge ones at OKW. Also, there is the 2nd bathroom issue. I must admit, I never thought of the fire code issue before this thread. Anyway, for a family to buy in thinking that they can squeeze into the smallest posiible unit for the next 40 or 50 years would be a bad idea IMO. DVC is not right for everyone. And I won't even get into the shower things. Never seen that one enforced ANYWHERE.

Originally posted by plamp
I think DVC should have available some one bedroom units that would sleep 5 or 6. It only makes sense, studio 4, 1 BR 6, 2 Br 8. Just have a one BR with two queen size beds in the bedroom, or a King and pullout sofa bed, or an extra sofa bed in the living area, whetever.

I agree it would be nice, but I believe someone (Dean?) mentioned that it would present major problems with timeshare trading organizations like II.

Thus we have our apparent contradiction

The rules as written vs the rules as enforced

Firecode with person per square foot doesn't wash. Although access, stairway size, etc does.

For Disney to be able to trade out (more important to Disney than people trading in I am sure :) ) they neeed to work with II (and I think one other organization). So they WRITE the rules to comply with those otganizations. They ENFORCE the rules as they see fit, and to give their owners the full benefit of owning.

Makes sense to me.

Originally posted by ChairborneRangr

Firecode with person per square foot doesn't wash. Although access, stairway size, etc does.

For Disney to be able to trade out (more important to Disney than people trading in I am sure :) ) they neeed to work with II (and I think one other organization). So they WRITE the rules to comply with those otganizations. They ENFORCE the rules as they see fit, and to give their owners the full benefit of owning.

Makes sense to me.

Well said!

Originally posted by DrTomorrow
Step right up, folks - it's the Battle Of the Health Care Professionals!

In one corner we've got CVW, an ophthalmologist and his pediatrician spouse.

In the other corner is Dean, a pediatrician himself.

And as the wild-card, we've got Johnny Fedora, self-described as "in health care", and making claims about E. coli O157:H7 (which, according to http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/escherichiacoli_g.htm is primarily a foodbourne illness, although it does mention that "swimming in or drinking sewage-contaminated water" is another source of infection. ewwww :faint: )

I believe everyone who posts here including the physicians are "self-described", that should make us all wild cards...right?? :rolleyes: BTW, I'm a medical laboratory supervisor who performs laboratory testing for the surveillance and identification of foodborne related outbreaks, both bacterial and viral (self-described, of course). As the link you provided mentions, swimming pools are a source of transmission for foodborne pathogens, which may include Norovirus (which DCL is very familiar with). A literature search will provde specific articles concerning outbreak investigations involving swimming pools. However, I'm not really interested in converting the occupancy thread to an epidemiology thread.

The main point of the "showering" example was to highlight that to some DVCers, other rules may be higher on the importance scale than occupancy. And, other rules may be violated on a more frequent basis. However, for some reason occupancy is the pinnicle of the POS rules, at least for this discussion group.:D

Originally posted by Johnnie Fedora
The main point of the "showering" example was to highlight that to some DVCers, other rules may be higher on the importance scale than occupancy. And, other rules may be violated on a more frequent basis. However, for some reason occupancy is the pinnicle of the POS rules, at least for this discussion group.:D

Yes, that's precisely why I raised the issue again. This thread, while kind of fun, is a testament to misshapen priorities. If it doesn't affect you directly, we might as well have a 30 page thread on replacing the VCR's with DVD players.

Accelerated wear and tear on a sleeper sofa is far lower on my list than sepsis.

I lurk in here once every couple of weeks to see what's going on. I prefer sticking to important issues, like OKW refillable mugs. But in the meantime, Dean, it's rather revealing to me that occupancy is so much higher on your priority list than public health, to the point that you'd call DVC to give your opinion on it during hurricane Ivan. You have two kids of the same gender, both a few years from leaving home. That alone shows a strong selection bias (ooh, I love it when I sound doctor-y) favoring under-occupancy.

Therefore, I must disagree with you on all matters at all times regardless of context.

Dr. Tomorrow, on the other hand, occasionally tells me my posts are funny. Therefore, I agree with him always. (Even when I don't.)

Originally posted by CVW
Dean, it's rather revealing to me that occupancy is so much higher on your priority list than public health, to the point that you'd call DVC to give your opinion on it during hurricane Ivan.

Not that Dean needs me (or anyone else) to defend him, but I'm not sure that the above is an accurate characterization of what took place....first, I believe the phone call was DVC's idea (Dean preffered email), second the impetus of the conversation was trading options (or something of the like, I think) with occupancy being just one of a number of peripheral issues.

Originally posted by childsplay
Not that Dean needs me (or anyone else) to defend him, but I'm not sure that the above is an accurate characterization of what took place....first, I believe the phone call was DVC's idea (Dean preffered email), second the impetus of the conversation was trading options (or something of the like, I think) with occupancy being just one of a number of peripheral issues.

Indeed, I did not intend it to sound too harsh. As always, I don't say anything here that I wouldn't say face to face while sitting together over a large plate of nachos with friends. I hope it's all taken in the good nature intended.

Besides, what fun is there in putting Dean's phone call in its proper context? What good is the internet if you can't misrepresent and sensationalize? DVC representatives took time during a hurricane to assure a member that they'll do better enforcing occupancy.

Gotta go. I've got DVC on line three. They've agreed to install human-sized autoclaves by the swimming pools to sterilize everyone's skin before getting in. You should be hearing more soon. Trust my judgment on this. It will be best for everyone!

Pass the nachos.

Originally posted by CVW
Indeed, I did not intend it to sound too harsh. As always, I don't say anything here that I wouldn't say face to face while sitting together over a large plate of nachos with friends. I hope it's all taken in the good nature intended.
Pass the nachos.

Good enough:D
And please know that I would be more than happy to supply the libations for this little "festival of the nacho":D

BTY, in the interest of keeping the thread on occupancy, I am much more closely aligned with the 5 in a one-bedroom camp. I can think of a number of issues that I feel are more critical to the health and well being of DVC.

Originally posted by CVW
Gotta go. I've got DVC on line three. They've agreed to install human-sized autoclaves by the swimming pools to sterilize everyone's skin before getting in. You should be hearing more soon. Trust my judgment on this. It will be best for everyone!
LOL! You rule-follower you.

Pass the nachos.
Only if everyone uses a hand sanitation dip first!:p

Originally posted by goofy4wdw59

Only if everyone uses a hand sanitation dip first!:p

Made me laugh. I don't know why I didn't think of that. We went on a Disney Cruise last year, where every child got soap squirted on their hands before they could enter. My wife loved this idea so much she convinced our children's Sunday school at home to enforce a similar policy.

When we go into a restaurant, our kids look for the restroom, because they know my wife will make them wash their hands before they can eat.

She once tried to make me do this. I just said no and licked my hands. Never bothered me since.

-------------

Okay, back on topic. OCCUPANCY, OCCUPANCY, OCCUPANCY. DOWN WITH DEAN, UP WITH CVW. (Repeat x3).

There's a simple solution to the sleep 4 in both the studio and 1 BR but you're not going to like it. It's called sleep 2 in the studio, like many timeshares studios. Besides, DVD is in the business of making money by selling points. More points for a 2 BR means more money.

And as hinted at above, the studios will only trade for 2 now from what I'm told.

Originally posted by childsplay
And it was scheduled by DVC well prior (6 weeks to get our schedules together) and actually placed by them to me. Thanks for the acknowledgment but I'm sure you've realized to some it's not about accuracy or true discourse but more a chance for some to take a shot.

Originally posted by Dean
There's a simple solution to the sleep 4 in both the studio and 1 BR but you're not going to like it. It's called sleep 2 in the studio, like many timeshares studios. Besides, DVD is in the business of making money by selling points. More points for a 2 BR means more money.

And as hinted at above, the studios will only trade for 2 now from what I'm told.
Along those lines, the 2 BR should sleep 6. 8 seems crowded.

Along those lines, the 2 BR should sleep 6. 8 seems crowded.
And most 2 BR units now trade for 6 through II even if they sleep 8.

Originally posted by ChairborneRangr

Makes sense to me.
Great point, it certainly addresses all this discussion of room occupancy as requirement for trade purposes.

Sorry, but 5 in a one bedroom shouldn't be that big a deal, those so insistant that it is such top priority are missguided IMHO. We certainly stay 5 in a hotel suite at Embassy suites, etc. It's a matter for members and ms to work out together for thier individual reservations, not the business of those advocating big government style intervention in to private family vacation comfort. MS knows what they are doing and working to take care of families and provide the famous service we purchased.
smily012.gif

Originally posted by Desperado
[...]not the business of those advocating big government style intervention in to private family vacation comfort. [...]
smily012.gif
Hee hee hee. Like Disney and DVC aren't some of most controlled - and controlling - organizations around....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter