Official 2016 Disneyland Half Marathon Thread

I'm debating taking off Thursday too to go check out the expo, but I haven't decided yet. Hopefully they still give us the merchandise preview this year a few days before the race so I can decide.

I was thinking about this - hitting up the expo merch line first, then picking up my bibs and shirts. It's just so hard to gauge what will be there until they do the merch preview.

I can't remember which race it was (Maybe Avengers last year?) but they didn't put the merch up until the merch line opened! I think it was Avengers because everything felt so delayed - like they did everything for Wine & Dine and had to scramble because someone forgot they had a race the next week.

I got to Tink at 8 a.m. and we were in by 9:50-10 a.m. For DLH, since I'll be by myself again, I'm planning to get in line around 7:45 (with a Yeti full of mimosas, because duh), with hopes to be in around 9:30. They generally start letting people in for official merch in 30 minutes before the Expo opens.

Last year, I got in line around 8:15 a.m. and was in by 10:30 and still had a great selection of things. I'm hopeful that because the race field is much smaller and not sold out, the merch people lining up won't be as plentiful either.

Disneyland has EASILY my favorite Expo experience. So laid back, great chance for shopping. They really control how many people can go in at a time.

If there are popular items (jackets/hoodies, cute tanks), they'll be gone within the first few hours.

Since I'm staying at the Fairfield Inn from Wednesday to Saturday, I usually walk with all my stuff to the Esplanade and then rent a locker on the DL side of the Esplande to hold all my crap and go straight into the parks.

NOW, if you want a D&B without pre-ordering, you will need to get in that line first instead of the official merch line. For Tink, when we got there the line was lead by a dozen people with suitcases ready to load up with D&B purchases - obviously to fulfill eBay orders.

I got to Tink at 8 a.m. and we were in by 9:50-10 a.m. For DLH, since I'll be by myself again, I'm planning to get in line around 7:45 (with a Yeti full of mimosas, because duh), with hopes to be in around 9:30. They generally start letting people in for official merch in 30 minutes before the Expo opens.

Last year, I got in line around 8:15 a.m. and was in by 10:30 and still had a great selection of things. I'm hopeful that because the race field is much smaller and not sold out, the merch people lining up won't be as plentiful either.

Disneyland has EASILY my favorite Expo experience. So laid back, great chance for shopping. They really control how many people can go in at a time.

If there are popular items (jackets/hoodies, cute tanks), they'll be gone within the first few hours.

Since I'm staying at the Fairfield Inn from Wednesday to Saturday, I usually walk with all my stuff to the Esplanade and then rent a locker on the DL side of the Esplande to hold all my crap and go straight into the parks.

NOW, if you want a D&B without pre-ordering, you will need to get in that line first instead of the official merch line. For Tink, when we got there the line was lead by a dozen people with suitcases ready to load up with D&B purchases - obviously to fulfill eBay orders.

I agree with all of this. "I approve this message." LOL.

I'm hoping the same thing; with less people registering, less people being crazy for the merch. I'm going to TRY and not buy a hoodie this year, but it is my first Dumbo. But really, how many race hoodies does one need.... ?

Is there a separate location for the bib line vs the merch line? I want to do my bibs after merch.
And could you share how much the locker was? I think we will be doing that after both the expo and the 5K (if the park is open early!).
Thanks- getting excited now!!!

Is there a separate location for the bib line vs the merch line? I want to do my bibs after merch.
And could you share how much the locker was? I think we will be doing that after both the expo and the 5K (if the park is open early!).
Thanks- getting excited now!!!

There is! For DLH last year, the line for official merch was upstairs in the ballroom. For Tink this year, it was downstairs in the garage. There are TONS of volunteers and signs to direct you - just say you want to go to merch first and you'll be pointed in the right direction!

I paid either $7 or $8 for the locker - and unlike WDW, you don't have to have a physical key ... you get assigned a locker number and you set the "lock" with a numeric passcode, like a cell phone! I did the medium-sized locker and it was enough for my Gear Check bag, two shopping bags full of stuff and my LV Neverful last year.

They have smaller ones for $6 and larger ones that could almost fit luggage, but I've never seen those available ...

I haven't decided when to go to the expo either. I fly in on Wednesday so I could go early, but it's also my first trip to DL (!!) and I think I'd rather spend hours in the park than in line for merch.

However, this could all change if they post a preview and there's something I can't live without

Great! Thanks! I think I'd read this maybe way back in Feb when I registered. lol

Great tips, everyone! I feel like I have nothing but time on this trip. But of course I'm going to feel like I ran out of time when I leave. ;)

I see your avatar is Newsies! It's not the same, but be sure to catch the Red Car Trolley News Boys on Buena Vista Street in DCA. You'll love them!!

I see your avatar is Newsies! It's not the same, but be sure to catch the Red Car Trolley News Boys on Buena Vista Street in DCA. You'll love them!!

Yes! They are a good show!

Also, better than that? Newsies is touring to Pantages in LA during the DLH week. One of the final stops on the tour before it's over.

Yes! They are a good show!

Also, better than that? Newsies is touring to Pantages in LA during the DLH week. One of the final stops on the tour before it's over.

Nice! I was lucky enough to see the show in workshop back at Paper Mill Playhouse, and then I got to see Jeremy Jordan's final show as Jack on Broadway. LOVE NEWSIES.

@Keels and @kristabelle13 Huge Newsies lover here, from the time the original movie came out. It still cracks me up that the Newsboys in DCA pay homage. :rotfl: Saw the musical after it left the Paper Mill when it was still a limited run, then saw the touring cast when they did a few numbers after the Disney screening at the El Capitan in April last year.

I'm impatiently waiting for merchandise to appear - I'm leaving work at 12pm on Thursday to drive over (staying the night at the Paradise Pier) and I'm not even sure I'm need to get anything - Star Wars Light Side wasn't a huge hit for me, Tinker Bell was a bigger draw in terms of what I like. We'll see what's left, I guess. The line last year seemed HUGE mid-day on Thursday, but that may have just been my first ever (read: naive) impression. I wasn't in any of the races but just wanted generic runDisney shirt, a co-worker took pity on me and picked one up since she was doing the 5K last year and was buying stuff anyway.

My BIL did Star Wars dark side in April and they sold the challenge I Did It shirt through the Disney store website for a very limited amount of time. I think it was just the morning of the half or something. I wonder if they'll do that again for anything dumbo?

My BIL did Star Wars dark side in April and they sold the challenge I Did It shirt through the Disney store website for a very limited amount of time. I think it was just the morning of the half or something. I wonder if they'll do that again for anything dumbo?
From what I've seen at least, their Disney store sales of race merchandise only tends to happen when they have excess following the expo and end of races. Being dated by year and design, they throw it up to get rid of it ASAP. You won't see anything on the site if it all moves well.

From what I've seen at least, their Disney store sales of race merchandise only tends to happen when they have excess following the expo and end of races. Being dated by year and design, they throw it up to get rid of it ASAP. You won't see anything on the site if it all moves well.
At Darkside everything sold out at the expo really early on and then months later they started selling it on the Disney Store website. I am pretty sure it was because there were so many unhappy people who couldn't get the shirts/pins they wanted at the expo so they made more. Now I wouldn't count on that happening with every race because I didn't see anything on the Disney Store website after Tink but then again I am not sure how much stuff sold out at Tink.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter