Official 2016 Disneyland Half Marathon Thread

Did a dress rehearsal for Dumbo this weekend! Six miles yesterday and ten today. I did both runs in my "costumes" and had no issues. Yesterday's run was a local, hilly, 10K. I didn't run it all out, but I didn't run it easy either because I wanted tired legs for today. Today's run was tough mentally, since the miles were on the treadmill, but I got them done. Looking forward to my rest day tomorrow. :)

I did a dress rehearsal on Sunday also ... well, at least the wardrobe portion. It went mostly ok. I think I really don't like my fitletic belt with the sparkle skirt I've chosen. I'm considering not using the belt and just going with my handheld water bottle. I know Disney is really good with the number of water stops. It really mostly depends on how hot is that day ... ugh. I can't decide.

I am starting to get nervous the closer we get to the expo and the more I read on message boards and FB.

For both WDW marathons, I haven't flown in until Friday afternoon and haven't gone to the expo until Saturday morning. I've never had any trouble snagging an "I Did It!" shirt for the marathon or finding any other merchandise to spend my money on. From what I have read, though, it sounds like the DLH expo is a completely different animal. I won't get into town until Thursday evening and, unless the planets align, I won't make it to the expo until Friday when they open at noon. Is everything going to be gone, especially the Dumbo stuff? I am mostly concerned about the "I Did It!" t-shirts.

It may also depend what size you need/want. It's really hard to tell since the race still isn't sold out. Are you able to get in line prior to noon on Friday? Even just an hour?

For both WDW marathons, I haven't flown in until Friday afternoon and haven't gone to the expo until Saturday morning. I've never had any trouble snagging an "I Did It!" shirt for the marathon or finding any other merchandise to spend my money on. From what I have read, though, it sounds like the DLH expo is a completely different animal. I won't get into town until Thursday evening and, unless the planets align, I won't make it to the expo until Friday when they open at noon. Is everything going to be gone, especially the Dumbo stuff? I am mostly concerned about the "I Did It!" t-shirts.
Last Year (2015) we got to the expo in the afternoon on Friday and all Dumbo "I did it" shirts were gone. There were some jackets I think left. It was a sold out race though, so who knows this year.

Last year I flew out to Dumbo from the east coast on Friday. I was able to rent a car and still make it to the expo before it opened. I went and did packet pickup first because they opened that earlier then got in inline for the merchandise. I was one of the earlier people through. Shortly after I walked in the sold out of the Ogio bags. I can't remember other stuff selling out wen I was there. If you are in town Thursday night go to the expo BEFORE it opens Friday. Get there at least 30 minutes to an hour ahead of time and then line up for official merchandise first. They start queuing people well before they let people in to shop and they only let a certain number of people at a time. That will give you your best shot to get what you want. (If it hasn't all been picked clean and posted to Ebay by thursday morning)

OMG where did the summer go? Are we really kicking off this weekend in 10 days?!?! I feel like this race sneaked up on me this year... but that means it's almost the fall racing season, and the end of 100 degree days so that makes me happy!

OMG where did the summer go? Are we really kicking off this weekend in 10 days?!?! I feel like this race sneaked up on me this year... but that means it's almost the fall racing season, and the end of 100 degree days so that makes me happy!

For real, right?

That said - I'm really looking forward to a trip to Disneyland. Chicago training has been killing me and I'm pretty over running right now, and I'm looking forward to going back to where my RD journey started last year and hope it gives me the finishing kick I need to get to the Chicago Marathon finish line.

I've been watching the 10-Day weather forecast (still too early to be reliable, but...) and it looks like it will be heating up again. I hope this humidity disappears!

Screen Shot 2016-08-23 at 11.03.10 AM.png

Saturday's 10K looks great... Sunday looks to be a beast. The 67 degree low for the start won't be bad, but that 93 for the high has me worried. Hopefully corral H is through the chute by 615am and we can finish this race by 9:45am, or probably when it's in the mid-80s.

Clouds would be great. Lots of clouds. :rotfl:

View attachment 189450

Saturday's 10K looks great... Sunday looks to be a beast. The 67 degree low for the start won't be bad, but that 93 for the high has me worried. Hopefully corral H is through the chute by 615am and we can finish this race by 9:45am, or probably when it's in the mid-80s.

Ugh. Gross. Shaping up to be JUST like last year.

If you look at the historical, it looks hotter than last year. NO ME GUSTA.

On another note, does anyone have a good phone number to contact RunDisney? Is the one on the website the good one to talk to a person? (407-939-iRun)

If you look at the historical, it looks hotter than last year. NO ME GUSTA.

On another note, does anyone have a good phone number to contact RunDisney? Is the one on the website the good one to talk to a person? (407-939-iRun)

Unfortunately, that's the best number. Is it a general question or a registration-related question? I have an email that can get you a quick response if it's registration related ...

It looks like the weather is exactly what we've had in Vancouver the past week. I can deal with that. Hotter or more humidity? No thanks.

Unfortunately, that's the best number. Is it a general question or a registration-related question? I have an email that can get you a quick response if it's registration related ...

A registration related ... that would be great. :)

Ok, so I've never run an event away from home. And I've never done a half (eeek!). I also haven't checked a bag in over a decade.

So, since I have to check a bag for this trip - and I have tons of extra space, what should I pack that I'm for sure going to forget - or should have with me or something I might have forgotten? Any tips? :)
If you are still nervous, pre-dress. Think about each day, dress like it really is that day, then put all that in your suitcase when you take it off.

View attachment 189450

For what it's worth, we ran the race in 2013 when most of the days set the record for temperature. That day looks like it had a low of 76 and reached a high of 96 in the afternoon. Even starting in the back, the temperatures weren't too bad through the morning for the race. The afternoon following our nap was still just as miserable though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter