• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Official 2017 Disneyland Half Marathon Weekend Thread

I have a feeling this race is not going to be your beginner/non-runner friendly type race. In addition to the weather, this race seems to be a test of getting runners off the course on time, esp for the half marathon. If you look at the map, it seems rundisney has put two prime and easy spots to sweep runners. The first is Anaheim Stadium and the next is between mile 11 and 12. This one mile segment is entirely in their open parking lot which makes for easy sweeping. Plus, they can choose to sweep you fairly easy for an entire mile as you will be running for a mile in this lot. I don't think its an accident that they put this one mile segment here as this will allow for sweeping people before they get back on Harbor and Katella (two major streets) and allow for openning those streets on time. Also, since this is toward the end where the back of the packers are not going to be running any faster but will probably slow down, its an easy sweep for rundisney if you're not meeting the time restriction. With the 5:00 am start time and their seemingly determination to get streets open, I do not expect a lenient sweep policy and would not be surprised if people even slightly above the 16 minute per mile limit to be swept here. If you are fairly close to the 16 minute, I would make sure you are under it at least until you get out of this parking lot. The weather predicted will not help either as the sun will be beating down by the time you get to this point as well. So... i would plan accordingly on the character stops early in the race if you are around the 16 minutes. If you can't afford to wait in line and still be under 16 minutes at mile 12, I wouldn't risk it.

Last edited:
So let's talk hot weather running. I admit, the weather forecast worries me - I've only once run a half in comparable temps and I was unwell for days after thanks to over heating. I'm hoping for a cool change!

Who has some hot weather running tips?

We all need to have a bottle of water in our hands at all time from about Wednesday I think - hydration works best if you start a few days before.

I'm doing a half tomorrow and I just checked the local cast. Bad news: It's going to be a warm one and this is PoT race for me. Good news: Hey this is a great simulation for next week.

I'm doing a half tomorrow and I just checked the local cast. Bad news: It's going to be a warm one and this is PoT race for me. Good news: Hey this is a great simulation for next week.

Good luck!! It will be good practice for Anahiem weather.

Packing has commenced and all of my race outfits are ready to go!

10K: M and I are running as Monsters U cheerleaders:

IMG_1439.JPG

Half Marathon: We're running as Andy's Toys! I'm Buzz Lightyear:

IMG_1440.JPG

Post-Race Celebration:
Since the three of us are going Coast-to-Coast, we needed something to wear with our Coast-to-Coast medals on Sunday after the half! We weren't really a fan of the RunDisney C2C shirt design for this year, so I made a design of my own! I've got my Dopey medal to go on my medal ribbon just like last year (which I included in the picture just to get the full concept):

IMG_1441.JPG

So let's talk hot weather running. I admit, the weather forecast worries me - I've only once run a half in comparable temps and I was unwell for days after thanks to over heating. I'm hoping for a cool change!

We all need to have a bottle of water in our hands at all time from about Wednesday I think - hydration works best if you start a few days before.
Maybe have a cooling towel around your neck? I know that helps me when I get overheated. Make sure you wear sunscreen too! Nothing is worse than being overheated as well as getting burnt at the same time. The other thing for me is I always need more than just pure water to feel better - I need some kind of electrolyte replenisher as well. I use the Propel packets (I like the mixed berry ones) and mix it with cold water.

Hope any of these tips help! I don't do well with the heat anymore so the forecast is worrying me a little bit.

Hat and sunglasses are pretty much required for DLH Weekend. When the sun comes up in California, it gets hot and bright quickly.

Sunscreen is also important ... and it's something you should try out in advance in you sweat a lot, specifically on your face around your eyes. I use SunBum SPF 70 (both the cream and the spray work for me). I like SunBum because it doesn't have many chemicals and it dries dry - not greasy, so it doesn't making sweating while wearing sunscreen make you feel even more gross than normal. On my face, I wear SunBum Oxide - works like a dream and no risk of burning eyes if you wipe your sweaty face during a run. (I know - ewwww, so gross).

I usually keep one of those Doctor Cool towels they give us free after the races with me for the half to either use DURING the race or immediately upon finishing. I mostly use it when I finish to immediately wipe down my arms, legs, face and neck to cool down and open up my pores.

Hydration is important. I'm carrying cash with me this year in cash I want to stop at a convenience store and by a cold bottle of water midrace (we pass SO many - you'll see lots of runners leave the course to go in there and use the restroom). I also take as much Powerade on course as I can, and I usually have either Nuun or Tailwind in my bottles on my water belt - I find that electrolytes help more than just plain water ... too much water and I feel "sloshy".

We also go straight to a sit-down brunch (Steakhouse 55!) for a couple of hours after the race, so that definitely helps the body cool down and recover before we head into the parks for the day.

I was hoping to use this as a Dopey POT but with the heat, that probably won't happen. Oh well, I've never run on the west coast so hopefully it'll be a great experience even if it isn't my best race. I'm in SC and could run outside with those temps (plus humidity!) but I've been doing a lot on the treadmill instead. In hindsight, maybe that was a poor choice!

I was hoping to use this as a Dopey POT but with the heat, that probably won't happen. Oh well, I've never run on the west coast so hopefully it'll be a great experience even if it isn't my best race. I'm in SC and could run outside with those temps (plus humidity!) but I've been doing a lot on the treadmill instead. In hindsight, maybe that was a poor choice!

I've been training outside, mostly in the evening, all summer in NC. So while those temps still aren't optimal, they will be a refreshing change when paired with the lower humidity out there in CA!

I'm not as worried about the heat this time around. The earlier start time and smaller field will definitely make a difference. I bet all runners are on the course by 5:30 am which means the balloon ladies will be finishing around 9.

I don't think I started until 6 or so last year, or maybe a bit after that, and I know the race didn't finish until 10:30 or so last year because people were still finishing when I went to a 10:30 brunch ADR.

Sooo who else has looked at the early weather forecast?

View attachment 264386

View attachment 264387

:scared:

I know a lot can change in a week so I'm not freaking out too much yet. But yeah this doesn't look pretty.

I'm from Northern California so I've been running in the heat for quite a few months (this Sunday is supposed to be 106) so I'm ready for the "cooler" temperatures in the 80s. I'd still prefer cooler weather but this is doable for me.

I'm from Australia so you'd think I'd be fine with the temps, but it is winter here - so I've been training in a really different climate.

the reverse will help with Dopey though. I'll have been training in scorching heat and go to lovely cool Jan temps in Florida! (so swings and roundabouts!).

I really hope things go well for these races next weekend. There are obviously major issues going on on the West Coast with RunDisney and I fear that after Super Heroes, West Coast races will be either cut back to fewer events or temporarily cancelled altogether. Which is a major bummer because I really wanted to do a Disneyland race someday and I'm afraid I may not get a chance.

But good luck to everyone participating and have fun!!

At first I was doubting the theory that runDisney was "waiting to see how the Disneyland Half Marathon goes". Because for SO MANY aspects they don't need to wait, they already know a variety of things from doing this for years and making small changes along the way. But I think that theory is seeming more and more likely especially when things have been mentioned like the idea of trying to clear the course earlier and getting the streets open earlier, and also mention of the volunteers verse temporary workers, etc.

I'm also wondering if park operations could be asking runDisney to improve things. Last year for the Disneyland 10K the last person to cross the finish line was right at 8 a.m.-ish and with last years course that means the area between the parks and Downtown Disney was still largely blocked off right before the Magic Morning was about to open at 8 a.m. for Disneyland guests They still had to clear the area between the parks for security purposes before they could let anyone line up for the parks. This caused a huge backup for thousands or people trying to get in, and as far as crowds go that wasn't necessarily safe to all be so tight and packed in there with nowhere to go for 30 minutes or more. You will notice with starting at 5 a.m. and the new 10K course something like this shouldn't be a problem this year.

That's a really GREAT point. Downtown Disney was REALLY hard to get to - almost unavailable - to non-runners until the 10K finished.

I tried walking to Starbucks and UVA Bar after I finished and it was a no-go. For those businesses that count on that pre-park business, it had to be a serious point of contention with them.

Adding to the recommendations list: Pack a sweatband or something similar to wear under the hat. I spent a part of the half this morning half blind because I was sweating suscreen into my eyes. Eventually I was okay but it was not fun for a while.

Hot weather running tips:
Electrolyte replacement too - not just water! Too much water alone because you are feeling hot is not a good thing.

That said, do dump some water on your head (but don't splash the people behind u!)

I second the sunscreen and not just in your face. Sunscreen on your arms and shoulders will help keep your body temps down.

Also don't forget the bodyglide!!! Everywhere.

Keep your pace down and if you start to get the chills - be very careful! Walk, or see the med people.

Good luck everyone!

I'm not quiet sure how I missed it but I just realized today for the first time that the infamous for this race Ball Hill is no longer on the course:

IMG_0723.PNG

The climb to get from Harbor to Manchester is not nothing.

At first I was doubting the theory that runDisney was "waiting to see how the Disneyland Half Marathon goes". Because for SO MANY aspects they don't need to wait, they already know a variety of things from doing this for years and making small changes along the way. But I think that theory is seeming more and more likely especially when things have been mentioned like the idea of trying to clear the course earlier and getting the streets open earlier, and also mention of the volunteers verse temporary workers, etc.

I'm also wondering if park operations could be asking runDisney to improve things. Last year for the Disneyland 10K the last person to cross the finish line was right at 8 a.m.-ish and with last years course that means the area between the parks and Downtown Disney was still largely blocked off right before the Magic Morning was about to open at 8 a.m. for Disneyland guests They still had to clear the area between the parks for security purposes before they could let anyone line up for the parks. This caused a huge backup for thousands or people trying to get in, and as far as crowds go that wasn't necessarily safe to all be so tight and packed in there with nowhere to go for 30 minutes or more. You will notice with starting at 5 a.m. and the new 10K course something like this shouldn't be a problem this year.

so during Tink, we had to go through security in order to get back to downtown or to the disneyland hotel... Not sure if this is the same for this race as the courses are different (and I love the course for DL going through Anaheim Stadium) but with the time of the course ending AND dealing with runners trying to get into downtown along with ticket holders, it was a packed area. I prefer the great security BUT I know it is a huge point of contention as I think I waited 15 minutes to get through the non-bag line after the half... During the 10k, security literally gave up checking bags bc of the amount of people trying to get in. I could totally be wrong but I think we started at 530 and I finished mid pack so I can only imagine how much longer the lines were once people started leaving the family gathering section after the race finished!
I am from the east coast so I have only had a chance to run DDD (inaugural year) and this years Tink..... I loved the courses there, I loved the smaller participant number (sold out or not, they have to have less due to space where WDW can pack people in AND DO), and I love being able to run more in the parks and the streets (not to mention the veterans sitting outside cheering us on, the car shows, the signs, people bringing their dogs so during difficult miles, you can pet them)... point is, I think there is magic at DL for runners and I truly hope that the legacy of rDisney doesnt leave

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter