"Official" 2019 Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party - A Frightfully Festive Celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to do this dessert party but there is something about a paying for a party within a party that makes me feel like I've got the words "sucker" written on my back not to mention stamped on my forehead. 😃I really want to do it though. 🥳 DH wants no part of it.
Kinda felt the same, but with having our DD5 with us this time around and the new firework show, I went ahead and pulled the trigger for the garden party on 9/24. It will be nice not having to stake out a spot early and DH and DD have quite the sweet tooth's. As far as telling DH about the extra charge, I might have fibbed a little and told him it was included in the dining plan. Do I feel guilty? Nope, he should be more involved in the planning process or alteast be excited when I tell him the plans. What he doesn't know won't hurt him.

I would love to do this dessert party but there is something about a paying for a party within a party that makes me feel like I've got the words "sucker" written on my back not to mention stamped on my forehead. 😃I really want to do it though. 🥳 DH wants no part of it.

If you're doing it for the food...don't do it.... the food was a huge disappointment. I posted about it a few posts back.

WWYD? I swore never to go again after battling last year’s crowds at the September Halloween party we went to. Buuuuuut here I am now planning to give it another try.

Our two party date options are Sunday 9/29 and Tuesday 10/1. Which would be my best bet for less crowds?

Although I’m assuming Tuesday would be less crowded, I’m wondering with exactly how much less of a crowd... Our flight home on Wednesday leaves at 6:30 AM, so magical express would get us before 4:00 AM.

Given these factors, what would you all do?

My personal opinion is the difference in crowds (if any) will just be shades of grey. So I’d go with the one that fits better in your schedule, which to me sounds like Sunday. Then you can have Tuesday as a backup in the possible but unlikely event Sunday were to be a total washout.

Here is my experiences for 8/20.
5 things before:
1.This was a last minute trip planned for AP SWGE previews. We were only in DW for 3 nights.
2.We went to the 1st party last year, so we had lower expectations for this night.
3. We did EMM here so hit most of the rides we wanted. Skipped overlays since we did last year.
4. I had a screaming headache almost all night, so our night was not a typical touring night. :(
5. We had both dessert parties planned, so fireworks and parade were not an issue.
I asked DS7 before we left what his priority was. He said if Stitch's line or Jafar's lines were not bad he'd do those, otherwise candy and a couple of MSs.
I wanted the MSs on Main Street, and the hitchhiking ghosts. Anything more was a bonus (we have headless horseman from last year)

We arrived from WL to MK around 6. Got right in, walked the back path. Headed to see what waits were like in the Tomorrowland area. Stitch's wait was way out to the end of the building, so that was a no go. We checked Buzz, still at 30ish. So we walked around back to see if Fab 5 had started lining up and a CM said they do not come out until 7, so we walked past LM ride, and Photographer had no line. I asked if she had magic shots, thinking it was the crab, to my surprise it was the fire pumpkin. :)
Rode IASW since it was 5 min.
Party:
TOT at Jamboree Bears right at 7, walked straight thru quickly.
Went to TOT behind Splash
TOT by BTMR
walked thru to see JC line wayyyy backed up, and Jafar's line was longer than DS was comfortable with. So headed back thru to HM, that line was backed way out as well
BUT Hatbox ghost MS was only 5-10 min, so we did it. :)
Went to Gazebo, line for Gavediggers was I am guessing 20 minutes? We did it last year, so skipped it this time. BUT, no wait for hitchhiking ghosts!! :)
As we walked thru Main Street, found a Photographer with no line, so we knocked out those MS! We ended up with 2 different burning pumpkin shots, both diff backgrounds and poses tho. :)
Tot at Monsters around 8ish, long line, but little stopping.
Did COP, didn't realize it was an applesause. 🤦‍♀️
Went to check in for plaza dessert party bcuz my headache was making me feel nauseous. :(
We were among maybe 2 other people, lol. Ate some desserts, rested. Watched a bit of castle show from our table.
Headed back out to Monsters Tot one last time and sat for a bit to watch.
Bathroom break and went to get a spot in garden early so I could lay down. Caught some of parade from our spot, not a good view, but could see some.
Projections were great. I wish I wouldn't have read other reviews/opinions prior to, bcuz they were in my head while I watched. lol
After fireworks we went straight down to Cruella's.
Got some food and drinks, DS enjoyed the pizza. I didnt eat much so can't give a review on the food. Cruella was out and about mingling, but didn't do a great job of hitting tables. Infact, a couple of women sitting by me at parade view were not happy with Cruella part. I didn't need a pic with her, I wasn't sure I could smile at this point bcuz of my headache.
We went over to parade spot at 11. Glad I did bcuz we got a bench. There was curb space open in our area, but it filled up quickly.
There was no curb space open that I saw around Tony's. (I looked to see if I wasted my money. :) )
Once parade started my head was not as bad, thank goodness, bcuz I could enjoy my FAV part of this night.
We left after that, I needed my bed.
For me, in my condition, I was happy to have both dessert parties. Gave me plenty of breaks from crowds and craziness to rest.
YMMV
Sorry so long!

ETA:We came home with 3+ pounds of candy between the 2 of us.

Sorry about your not feeling well but sounds like you make the best of it. Just one question..was Cruella's crowded when you arrived or were there still empty tables?

Yes I am aware of the entry time I was asking about on Halloween specifically because of what I was told about it being a holiday and the park reaching maximum capacity. I believe you had responded that you had gone several years ON Halloween and never heard of that. That’s why I was asking if when you attended the party on Halloween if it was just with party tickets or did you also have park tickets for those days.

Yes and I answered you. On Halloween Night, Oct 31 no matter what day of the week or weekend, entry time is 3:45-4pm with party ticket. ::yes:: ALWAYS. Your friend is wrong. Disney clears out all the day guests at a specific time, this year it's 6pm. If you buy a Party Ticket you will get in.

Last edited:

Kinda felt the same, but with having our DD5 with us this time around and the new firework show, I went ahead and pulled the trigger for the garden party on 9/24. It will be nice not having to stake out a spot early and DH and DD have quite the sweet tooth's. As far as telling DH about the extra charge, I might have fibbed a little and told him it was included in the dining plan. Do I feel guilty? Nope, he should be more involved in the planning process or alteast be excited when I tell him the plans. What he doesn't know won't hurt him.

Boy he sounds familiar. I do all the planning and DH just shows up. He is not a fan of doing the MK DP. He'd be willing to do Frozen DP or ROL DP and probably even SW but no way the MK one.

Yes I am aware of the entry time I was asking about on Halloween specifically because of what I was told about it being a holiday and the park reaching maximum capacity. I believe you had responded that you had gone several years ON Halloween and never heard of that. That’s why I was asking if when you attended the party on Halloween if it was just with party tickets or did you also have park tickets for those days.
Mk has never reached capacity on Halloween. Maybe you're confused with the actual party being sold out, that happens every year

Question for those who have attended ON Halloween night in previous years. I was just talking to a coworker and she said it might not be possible to get the 4 o’clock entry because it was on the actual holiday day and the park might be at maximum capacity. We might not be able to enter until 7. Does anyone have any experience with this or know if this is true?
Not true. The park will not reach capacity on Halloween.

We attended the first MNSSH party and also did the dessert party with plaza viewing - which is mostly what I'll comment on here. We ate at Chef Mickey's for dinner beforehand

Did a few treat trails. I didn't do one ride or one photographer shot or anything.

Thanks for the review. What time after dinner at Chef Mickey's did you enter the park? What time did you the tackle the few treat trails? Even after 12am Magic shots are still available up to 12:45am

Mk has never reached capacity on Halloween. Maybe you're confused with the actual party being sold out, that happens every year
Just saying, if you plan on going on Halloween Night you need to buy your tickets before it sells out. Also note the Ultimate Party Pass excludes Oct 31. When this party sells out we'll actually see this:

Last edited:
I think I may take a break from reading this thread for a while-I felt our first party expectations were low and was so excited to finally get to go to one-be there before four and go through the Halloween entrance, be done with a few rides and dinner by 645, during the party ride Pirates for the overlay and Haunted Mansion for the atmosphere and "ghosts" on the lawn, do about three or four treat trails, see the first parade from Frontierland, then decide if we want to stay for the fireworks-no characters, and no magic shots unless we happen upon some with very short lines. Now I am wondering if I should prepare my extended family, whom I talked into this extra expense, that before the first parade we may only get in 1 ride and one or two treat trails. I do want to experience a Halloween party, but now I am almost dreading it from the reports/advice of waiting an hour for the first parade, an hour for the fireworks, 45 minutes for Haunted Mansion during the party. And I am usually a very optimistic person!

No one ever has to wait for a parade or fireworks. It depends on how good of a view you want to be guaranteed.

The park should not reach capacity on Halloween. Even if it does there are multiple levels of closure. It would have to be completely full (phase 4 closure) for them to not allow party guests into the park. From what I’ve read there has only been one phase 4 closure at MK in 10 years. So it’s pretty safe to say you should have no problems getting in reguardless of if you have a day ticket or not. I hope this helps ease your concerns.

ETA: This info is only for the 4-7 time window. After that as long as you already have a party ticket you are guaranteed to get in. They would never sell so many party tickets that the park would reach capacity.

Last edited:
We did the Fantasmic Dessert party and was served the allergy plate which was weird because there's nothing I'm allergic to in the regular plate (shellfish & fish allergy). It was disgusting. The cotton candy was melted to the paper wrapping, marshmallows were hard as rocks, and the little cakes were stale. I don't notate allergies on anything dessert related anymore. It's all been gross.

That’s worrisome. They’re not paying enough attention to people’s actual allergies and could end up feeding them their less common allergen.

We did the Fantasmic Dessert party and was served the allergy plate which was weird because there's nothing I'm allergic to in the regular plate (shellfish & fish allergy). It was disgusting. The cotton candy was melted to the paper wrapping, marshmallows were hard as rocks, and the little cakes were stale. I don't notate allergies on anything dessert related anymore. It's all been gross.

That’s worrisome. They’re not paying enough attention to people’s actual allergies and could end up feeding them their less common allergen.
We're going to the Sept 10th party, 2 adults and our 3yo DD. We're leaving our 10month old DD with KNO babysitting and hoping for the best!
Basically we want to do "some" characters, trick or treat as my 3yo is so excited about that! Go to the dance parties and see the parade and fireworks.
If we decide to get the party pass can we upgrade DURING the party? If so where?
I'm mainly worried that the KNO babysitter will call and say our baby won't settle etc and I'll have to leave early. If this happens it would be great to attend the other parties while we are there. Although the Aussie dollar is so weak it would cost us almost $900AU to do that, so I'm hoping for the best.
I don't think we want to do any rides except POTC and Teacups.
We have to leave right after the fireworks to get back to Wilderness Lodge by 11pm to relieve the babysitter. Do you think we will have enough time?

I’d bring the baby with you and lighten the schedule the next day. Will you be able to enjoy yourself if your anxious about the sitter calling?

Alright I'm posting this again to see if everything looks good. Let me know if you see any flaws, have any advise, or if I'm missing something. Also we are AP's so we will be there around 11am or 12pm.

1. FP for Space Ranger Spin @ 11:30-12:30
2. FP for Space Mountain @ 12:45-1:45
3. Change from normal park clothes to costumes around 2pm
4. Head to Big Top for merchandise (AP can purchase MNSSHP merch with proof of ticket at 2pm)
5. FP for Peter Pan Flight @ 2:05-3:05pm
6. Jack and Sally 3-5pm (fingers crossed)
7. Firehouse for party exclusive SMK card
8. Bypass for candy and pumpkin pic
9. Mobile order hades nachos and sipper right at 7pm
10. oak outpost for Hitchhicking ghost donuts container and pretzel
11. pooh if line is not too long
12. pics with Jafar, Jasmine, and Aladdin (me and the hubby are dressing up as Jasmine and Aladdin)
13. Sundae from Sleepy Hallow
14. Haunted mansion lantern shot
15. ride HM
16. pirates
17. Fireworks at 10:15pm
18. Boo to you @ 11:15pm
19. HP Spelltacular @ 12 or trick a treat a little bit (we have seen this show about 3 times so it's not new to us, but it is one of the best IMO)
crawl into an Uber back to resort :tiptoe:
The only real issue I see here is #11. The Pooh line WILL be long at that time. Plus, why cross the park to FL just to come back to AL for steps 12-16. Just stay in Adventureland. Also, as mentioned, Aladdin/Abu and Jasmine/Genie rotate every 30 minutes so you’ll need to line up twice. Jafar has his own line. But I think it’s all reasonable before the fireworks, depending on where you want to watch and the view you’d like to have.

For Winnie and gang we should be there no later than 5:45 for first set correct? And we should be at jack/sally by 3:15 to be done by 5? Just double checking we leave tomorrow morning

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter