Official 2022 HHN 31 - Horror is Universal

Who are you considering to be the icon this year? Last year was the first time in a while that they have had any house related to the icons.
I assume they are referring to Pumpkin lord as the Icon - that is what I have seen anyway listed for this year anyway

previous to last year (I know you know this) they did not have an icon for a few years - I think the last one was Chase and there was a house if I recall correctly

Before that I cant fully recall if they always have a house - its all such a blur I'm not positive - but I think they usually did.

I assume they are referring to Pumpkin lord as the Icon - that is what I have seen anyway listed for this year anyway

previous to last year (I know you know this) they did not have an icon for a few years - I think the last one was Chase and there was a house if I recall correctly

Before that I cant fully recall if they always have a house - its all such a blur I'm not positive - but I think they usually did.
I don’t think he’s an “official” icon, but more of a sentimental favorite. He was in the Wicked Growth house last year, so I guess the didn’t want to be too repetitive. I wouldn’t mind. I like him a lot and would buy a t-shirt with him on it. I go for the pumpkin stuff though.

I haven’t been going that long; this will be my 4th year. However, I think from the HHN history podcasts that I listen to people were upset that Chase didn’t have her own house, just a small part in a show, or something like that.

I don’t think he’s an “official” icon, but more of a sentimental favorite. He was in the Wicked Growth house last year, so I guess the didn’t want to be too repetitive. I wouldn’t mind. I like him a lot and would buy a t-shirt with him on it. I go for the pumpkin stuff though.

I haven’t been going that long; this will be my 4th year. However, I think from the HHN history podcasts that I listen to people were upset that Chase didn’t have her own house, just a small part in a show, or something like that.
It was my understanding the Pumpkin Lord was the Icon for this year. Sense he is right at the entrance and engages with you when you come in. Also he's prominently featured on one shirt at least.

The rationale that Icons eventually show up in a House but maybe not the year they are featured makes sense I guess. I thought most Icons had a house at some point?

https://halloweenhorrornights.fandom.com/wiki/Event_Icon

Looking into it, it looks like ear, and Bone are the only ones not to ever be in a House that are Icons. Lady Luck and Bone were in Scarezones. Lady Luck showed up last year in Icon Captured.

Pumpkin Lord does have a scarezone this year at least. He is the recognized Icon for this year. He was the star of the most popular house last year. I dont think anything this year has been popular enough to explode into a new Icon.

Looking into it, it looks like ear, and Bone are the only ones not to ever be in a House that are Icons. Lady Luck and Bone were in Scarezones. Lady Luck showed up last year in Icon Captured.

Pumpkin Lord does have a scarezone this year at least. He is the recognized Icon for this year. He was the star of the most popular house last year. I dont think anything this year has been popular enough to explode into a new Icon.
It's not unheard of for an icon to be something that is brought back from a past year.
One of the best things about HHN is that it's not repetitive so you can just assume and guess what they'll do next year

Yeah chase had a house it was an insane asylum of some sort

There was also an area up front where you could interact with her which was cool - until you say it several nights and it gets old and repetitive

I do not recognize Pumpkin Lord as the icon lol
I agree - I wonder if the house that got pulled was also going to be the Icon

I’m way out of the loop, but I saw some talk about the on-site guest entry. If this has already been discussed, I apologize, but I feel those that can take advantage should consider this.

We used the on-site guest entry tonight for the first time ever. I don’t know if this is how it worked in the past.

We showed hotel key to get into the “Blue Man Group Area” from the walk from USO to IoA. Then we showed our HHN tickets to get into the entry line. This was about 5:15. And this is the great part. There is a path they send you straight into Hellblock Horror. No express, just right in. Then we were out with the Stay and Screamers. We followed the path up to Halloween, and then went to eat some grub. Before 6:00. We could have gone commando and done a lot more before 6:30, but we were just doing a half night. We took our time, went to Warf and Chupacabra, visited the Tribute Store, explored all scare zones, Blumhouse, ate a couple more times, and shopped. Out by 10:00 taking it very, very leisurely. Such a great change of pace from what we usually do.

It’s a viable option for onsite guests that don’t want to deal with the stay and scream pens possibly in the sun (which we usually do use). Now, if I only had 1-2 nights, I’d be much more commando to get everything done all at once.

Anyway, just a quick report from a veteran HHNer that tried hotel guest entry tonight for the first time.

Following on from the above about the resort guest entrance - we took advantage of it three times (arriving between 5 and 5:10 each time) and found some options that worked and some that didn’t.

What worked for us after finishing Hellblock Horror:
- Joining the end of the Stay and Scream queue for Spirits of the Covern. We did that and Fiesta de Chupacabra by about 6:15/6:20.
- Grabbing a drink and then waiting for the Dead Man’s Pier Winter’s Wake queue to open. We did that and The Weekend by about 6:20.

What didn’t work for us after finishing Hellblock Horror:
- Joining the end of the Stay and Scream queue for Halloween. We were in the queue when we walked past a wait times board that said it would take us 45 minutes but it ended up taking 105 minutes.

2 more days!! can't wait. Have changed my mind 10 times this week on where we plan to do stay/scream, start the night, Sunday night. I've been tracking wait times, and halloween jumps up so, so high right at opening, so I guess it's like rope dropping Hagrids/FoP, etc. Either be in the front, or you'll be waiting. S/S. So currently leaning back to starting there, but will totally depend on how long line is when we arrive. If too bad, we'll start w Weekend.
but if we could knock out halloween, dead man's etc. at the get go, that would be better.
I STILL can't decide what all/where we'll eat. Any favorite foods? I know that's so subjective, but hoping to work in treats and drinks.
So excited! and SO appreciate all the advice, tips, experiences on this thread/forum.

2 more days!! can't wait. Have changed my mind 10 times this week on where we plan to do stay/scream, start the night, Sunday night. I've been tracking wait times, and halloween jumps up so, so high right at opening, so I guess it's like rope dropping Hagrids/FoP, etc. Either be in the front, or you'll be waiting. S/S. So currently leaning back to starting there, but will totally depend on how long line is when we arrive. If too bad, we'll start w Weekend.
but if we could knock out halloween, dead man's etc. at the get go, that would be better.
I STILL can't decide what all/where we'll eat. Any favorite foods? I know that's so subjective, but hoping to work in treats and drinks.
So excited! and SO appreciate all the advice, tips, experiences on this thread/forum.
I can tell you what we did NOT care for, what I wouldn't get again. Sorry but I'm awful at booth names, and food names (which I'm sure is of little help) but it's the booth that is right in front of Animal Actor's, has twisted tators and queso, and sprinkled with hot cheeto dust, and one with a hot dog and chili (has something about blood and guts in the name)
Anyway, both were pretty bland and cold, right from the booth. I would not eat either item ever again.

Over near the New York scare zone, the one near Jimmy Fallon, Tribute Store, etc we tried, an alcohol/adult beverage with matcha and some spice of some sort in it. It was horrible. We threw it out. The food we got there was good. A skull shaped pastry with pepperoni and served with marina dipping sauce underneath. Hard to eat having to hold it in your lap but I'd order another one. Just not with either beverage back there.

Speaking of tribute store, we got the knife cheese cake thing, twice. And the eyeball pudding cake thing, twice. So loved those. Did not like the little boo layered chocolate/caramel thing. First, hard to eat and second, just not good. Neck too narrow to get a spoon out with each layer on it. Half the spoon full fell off trying to get it out through the opening. Maybe had we gotten a bite with all the flavors it would have been ok but as it was, not good. Ate a few bites, got frustrated, didn't like it, tossed the rest.

Loved the beers at the Weekend After Hours bar. Had those, 3 times I think. 2 times at that bar and again during the break from our RIP tour stop.

While I didn't have them at the booth, we had them at the RIP reception, I did like the pizza fries and there was a sandwich with a meatball (or meatloaf) that was really good. I'm pretty sure both of those are from booths. I know pizza fries are. I would order and pay for both of those items.

It’s our first ever night at HHN the following Sunday and I could have written your post word for word. We are eating at Lombards at 3.15pm so not sure we will be early enough to be at the front of the Halloween line so might start with Blumhouse and do the NYC one another of my nights.
Would love to hear how you get on. Hope you have a great time.

Following on from the above about the resort guest entrance - we took advantage of it three times (arriving between 5 and 5:10 each time) and found some options that worked and some that didn’t.

What worked for us after finishing Hellblock Horror:
- Joining the end of the Stay and Scream queue for Spirits of the Covern. We did that and Fiesta de Chupacabra by about 6:15/6:20.
- Grabbing a drink and then waiting for the Dead Man’s Pier Winter’s Wake queue to open. We did that and The Weekend by about 6:20.

What didn’t work for us after finishing Hellblock Horror:
- Joining the end of the Stay and Scream queue for Halloween. We were in the queue when we walked past a wait times board that said it would take us 45 minutes but it ended up taking 105 minutes.
The Halloween S&S queue was really long last night. I was sort of far back, even after getting in line about 4:15, They opened EP early, so I hopped into that line. After finishing the house, the queue was still really long. It did open early though, about 5:30.

The Halloween S&S queue was really long last night. I was sort of far back, even after getting in line about 4:15, They opened EP early, so I hopped into that line. After finishing the house, the queue was still really long. It did open early though, about 5:30.
Sounds like you made the right choice re the express line. It was open when we went through on Wednesday but we decided to stay in the regular line so we could use our express on it later in the evening.

I think Halloween just needs to be done later in the night. Unless you can be among the first people to queue for it in stay and scream, if you're going to have to wait an hour once the corrals are released I'd rather wait an hour later in the event. I'd spend the stay and scream time getting many other houses done.

We attended again last night, Thursday Oct 6 and got a lot done.

We did stay and scream for Hellblock. We were in line at 4:52, house opened immediately at 5:15 and we were in at 5:16. We were hanging out with @soniam and she used her express for Halloween. We had meant to go into line for Coven, but they hadn't loaded the stay and scream line yet. Which put us in a weird position. We had each done one house, but everything else was closed. We could have joined the end of the Halloween line but I felt like it would be an hour wait. We could have joined the end of the line for Coven, but I know that line clears quickly.

Instead we picked up some skull pizzas and lil boo pumpkin buns. Still think those two items are really good. After eating, the stay and scream line for Coven had been loaded and we went ahead and got in line at 5:40 and were inside at 5:50.

We did a quick bathroom stopped and just managed to beat the front gate crowd to the Weeknd at 6:07. We were shocked, but it ended up being a walk in. We were in at 6:14 and as we left the line was growing behind us.

Got into line at Monsters at 6:25 and we were in at 6:36. As we left we could see the line for the Weeknd was it's usual giant self.

Next up was Bug house. This was my second time through and I loved it even more than the first time. We were in line at 6:50 and done by 7:14. I think they did a cast change because we were standing still for a long time.

The good thing about some of the houses is you can see other house line's length as you leave. Bug house gives a good view of the line for Destruction, and we knew that it was longer than we wanted to wait.

We decided to head through a couple scare zones then had some drinks at Dead Coconut Club, which was amazing. Such a nice atmosphere. Two stilt walker vampires even came in to entertain everyone. There are 3 tiki drinks on the menu and I had two and tasted the other. I think my favorite was the Bleeding Eye, second fav was Haunted Isle and Java Monster brought up the rear. The only thing that could make this bar better was if they had Universal Monster tiki glasses.

1665170484262.png

1665170500099.png

1665170599576.png

1665170612634.png

1665170618974.png

1665170648465.png

1665170659102.png

1665170677547.png

1665170697708.png

1665170725077.png

Last edited:
So this is something I've been thinking about as HHN goes on - I've broached the subject as a side comment before.

It seems that in general many of the streamers are not all that enthralled with HHN like they have been in the past.
One of them who purchased the every night ticket (had the no Saturdays ticket last year so spent the money this year for Saturdays as well) and usually streams it - was going to skip a Saturday and seemed to be disinterested - they did end up streaming - probably because folks asked and that's how he makes money

I'm planning on going myself for about 8 nights of HHN, but due to reasons beyond my control I may have to cancel. It's my choice - but I feel I may have too.

I got a message late yesterday from a friend (a local) who goes every with his daughter and they both said it was lame - they went on different nights and planned to go another night together which they will not be doing.

That is making my choice easier - but I know there are a lot of folks who are going or have gone that I see on here year after year discussing HHN - there are many hardcore HHN fans on here

Id appreciate some feedback on above - and not to bring it down - but its important to have a little context - would you go if you had a family member who may pass anytime in the next 3 months - maybe this week - but may not you can't know - and you have been dealing with this for several years and are basically in charge of things - and then adding on top of that events over the last several years in general. (this is just for context - it is what it is)

I've very much looking forward to HHN and more so Universal and the SeaWorld Halloween event. Oh and the Dead coconut club

Id most like comments from people who have actually gone to HHN this year and in the past

And to add one more thing - Ill probably go at Christmas as well

Last edited:
So this is something I've been thinking about as HHN goes on - I've broached the subject as a side comment before.

It seems that in general many of the streamers are not all that enthralled with HHN like they have been in the past.
One of them who purchased the every night ticket (had the no Saturdays ticket last year so spent the money this year for Saturdays as well) and usually streams it - was going to skip a Saturday and seemed to be disinterested and was going to skip it - they did end up streaming - probably because folks asked and that's how he makes money

I'm planning on going myself for about 8 nights of HHN, but due to reasons beyond my control I may have to cancel. It's my choice - but I feel I may have too.

I got a message late yesterday from a friend (a local) who goes every with his daughter and they both said it was lame - they went on different nights and planned to go another night together which they will not be doing.

That is making my choice easier - but I know there are a lot of folks who are going or have gone that I see on here year after year discussing HHN

Id appreciate some feedback on above - and not to bring it down - but its important to have a little context - would you go if you had a family member who may pass anytime in the next 3 months - maybe this week - but may not you can't know - and you have been dealing with this for several years and are basically in charge of things - and then adding on top of that events over the last several years in general. (this is just for context - it is what it is)

I've very much looking forward to HHN and more so Universal and the SeaWorld Halloween event. Oh and the Dead coconut club

Id most like comments from people who have actually gone to HHN this year and in the past

Tony, I`m sorry you`re going to lose someone in your family. Never an easy time for anyone.

Being honest, this years HHN started out quite positive for us....houses sounded good, scare zones looked decent and food options looked decent too. First couple of nights were good.

Food options we tried were not even remotely like the picture. Nothing stood out as worth waiting in those huge lines for.

After that, we kinda lost interest. It was too busy and that was one of our main complaints, but houses were lacklustre at times (not always) we noticed they were not stopping the lines while the change of SA teams took place which used to happen so you didn`t miss any scares or actors. This year we wandered through several houses on several occasions to missing SA.

The scare zones were set up well and the Graveyard one was particularly good, we did enjoy that when it wasn`t mobbed, so I`m not knocking everything about the event, it just didn`t live up to the hype for us.

The crowds were so bad one night I couldn`t see a single SA in the first scare zone, lost Tom in the crowd twice and honestly, for the first time I just wanted to get out of there.

A couple of nights we were with another couple who hadn`t been for a long time, they were so disappointed. The rain early in the event did keep the crowds at bay, but once the crowds hit.....wow!

We started going to HHN in 2007 but we`ve decided that was our last year going to the event.

We did Howl O Scream this year and LOVED it. Fewer houses, less polished, fewer scare zones and fewer SA....but they made up for it with enthusiasm and downright fun. There were no huge crowds like we saw at HHN this year, and we had a blast.

There are some good things with HHN this year.....Dead Man`s Pier, Halloween and a couple of others. The Dead Coconut Club is a lot of fun, but that shouldn`t have been the highlight of the event and it was one of them for us.

I don`t mean to be a downer, and I`m sure there will be a swathe of folks saying how wonderful it is, and that`s fine, we all see things differently, but for someone who has been a huge long time horror night fan, this year did not live up to the hype. We spoke to so many folks who all think they are selling too many tickets for the event and it needs to be honed in a little, but they won`t as it`s a huge moneymaker of course.

I`ve answered as honestly as I can as you asked a difficult question, and I hope you make the best decision for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter