Official Car rental September 2013...advice please

gmeh1 said:
You are most welcome. Don't go crazy with the scratches. They need to be approx. 5" long and the dents need to be the size of a silver dollar before anyone gets "edgy". There will be a million scratches on the bumper by the trunk, don't worry about them.
I once had a person who called me to note the scratches, they were so tiny that you needed a magnifying glass to see them. And the small dings were the ones everyone gets from highway dirt/pebbles. I noted it on the reservation because they were very very anal about it, but, normally, they are not worth mentioning.

Wow, thank you! Eases my mind a lot. EXCELLENT info to know!

Arrived this morning and thought I would give an update on our rental.
Flew into Tpa and rented from Alamo, returning to MCO on sep 15, so we have a ten day rental.

Check in was ok, no customers at the counter, so no waiting in line.
Alamo rep took a little longer than she should have. For some reason she had to start all over with our licenses and info. Still not very long to get everything taken care of.

Got out to the garage and wasn't very happy to find we had to choose from one of only three cars on the standard row, which, btw, is separate from the full sized cars.

Another customer came up right behind us, and he kindly waited for us to choose our vehicle, then chose his from the two remaining ones.
What really bugged me was that there were other standard cars in another area just around the corner, but the guy made us choose from the three in the labeled area.
As soon as we and the other customer pulled our cars out, he was pulling others in to take the place of ours.
Not sure why he couldn't have let us choose from all the available cars, especially when he saw we were having trouble getting our luggage into the three he gave us choice of.

We ended up in a Mazda 5. The other two choices were a Prius and a Chrysler 200, neither of which would hold our luggage.

So, I just wanted to post and make it clear that the full and standard cars are separated at Tpa, contrary to previous posts from others that they are combined like at Mco.

Hope this helps someone out with their decision of car class at Tpa.

I just posted in the Oct thread too since our trip overlaps, but our Alamo price is down $60 today from yesterday. Midsize SUV for 9/30-10/9 for $220.25, using only the insiders discount. I put in the Passholder code, but the price didn't change.

I just posted in the Oct thread too since our trip overlaps, but our Alamo price is down $60 today from yesterday. Midsize SUV for 9/30-10/9 for $220.25, using only the insiders discount. I put in the Passholder code, but the price didn't change.

Thanks for posting this (I seem to be saying thanks a lot in this thread today, haha). My trip is next week and I haven't been seeing any price drops like others have, but this one worked for me as well. Saving $30 from original reservation! Much appreciated!

After doing online check in for Alamo it tells me to go to the counter or kiosk to get my rental agreement and keys, I thought you could go straight out to the garage? Do I just print my online check in conformation to take with me? Was there supposed to be somewhere to enter CC info for payment? Or do we pay that while we're there somehow? Sorry for all the questions!

Bid $13 per day on Priceline for a full size car from 9/16-9/21 - 5 day car rental. Was accepted and we got Hertz - $107.00 for the 5 days. Not a bad deal.

Piggybacking on this, I am using a debit card for Alamo so I have to show our round-trip itinerary. Can I still do online check-in or kiosk and show the itinerary at the booth on the way out or do I need to go to the counter?

Nope, you don't need to go to the counter. I am not sure about online (you can give it a try), but, I do know you can use the kiosk. At the bottom of the printout from the kiosk, it will tell you exactly what you will need to show at the exit booth.
From memory: the printout, your license, debit card, proof of round trip travel, addition driver must be present with a valid license (assuming there is one). If I have forgotten anything, it will be listed at the bottom.

Flew into Tpa and rented from Alamo, returning to MCO on sep 15, so we have a ten day rental.

Check in was ok, no customers at the counter, so no waiting in line.
Alamo rep took a little longer than she should have. For some reason she had to start all over with our licenses and info. Still not very long to get everything taken care of.

Got out to the garage and wasn't very happy to find we had to choose from one of only three cars on the standard row, which, btw, is separate from the full sized cars.

Another customer came up right behind us, and he kindly waited for us to choose our vehicle, then chose his from the two remaining ones.
What really bugged me was that there were other standard cars in another area just around the corner, but the guy made us choose from the three in the labeled area.
As soon as we and the other customer pulled our cars out, he was pulling others in to take the place of ours.
Not sure why he couldn't have let us choose from all the available cars, especially when he saw we were having trouble getting our luggage into the three he gave us choice of.

We ended up in a Mazda 5. The other two choices were a Prius and a Chrysler 200, neither of which would hold our luggage.

So, I just wanted to post and make it clear that the full and standard cars are separated at Tpa, contrary to previous posts from others that they are combined like at Mco.

Hope this helps someone out with their decision of car class at Tpa.

Thanks for the info. Sorry you had such a small selection. Not very good customer service there.

After doing online check in for Alamo it tells me to go to the counter or kiosk to get my rental agreement and keys, I thought you could go straight out to the garage? Do I just print my online check in conformation to take with me? Was there supposed to be somewhere to enter CC info for payment? Or do we pay that while we're there somehow? Sorry for all the questions!

Where are you renting? If you are at MCO, just take your printed agreement to the garage, select your car, the key are either in the door on on the dash (hopefully), go to the exit booth and give them your license, rental agreement and credit card.
LOL, with 15K cars at MCO, it would be quite a large kiosk to hold all the keys.
This is for MCO, you did not say where you are renting from. Places like CCC at Disney will have you go to the counter. They are not a secure location and the keys are kept at the counter.

gmeh1 said:
Where are you renting? If you are at MCO, just take your printed agreement to the garage, select your car, the key are either in the door on on the dash (hopefully), go to the exit booth and give them your license, rental agreement and credit card.
LOL, with 15K cars at MCO, it would be quite a large kiosk to hold all the keys.
This is for MCO, you did not say where you are renting from. Places like CCC at Disney will have you go to the counter. They are not a secure location and the keys are kept at the counter.

Yep MCO. Thank you!

Anyone see the selection at MCO for standard cars lately? This has me worried.

Nope, you don't need to go to the counter. I am not sure about online (you can give it a try), but, I do know you can use the kiosk. At the bottom of the printout from the kiosk, it will tell you exactly what you will need to show at the exit booth.
From memory: the printout, your license, debit card, proof of round trip travel, addition driver must be present with a valid license (assuming there is one). If I have forgotten anything, it will be listed at the bottom.

Once again, thank you for your help!

We may be renting from Disney Car Care Center or MCO (final plans are still up in the air pending a friend of the family's schedule). This MCO info is very helpful and I read your later post about CCC not being a secure location so I do understand we will be going to the counter if we go that route.

Either way we go, I will probably do online check-in (I'm a big fan of online check-in for many things this trip).

I just booked through Costco and got a minivan for the week (sept 21-28) for a total of $164 with taxes. Also saw midsize available for $140 for the week. Hope this helps anyone still looking.

Well, I'm kind of an idiot. We got our car very easily at W Palm Beach last weekend. I grabbed the paperwork and handed it to dh and I drove away. Never looked at it. I did today...my confirmation has $104 for the week, their paperwork has $141!! Not sure what will transpire when dh drops it off in the morning, but if Alamo tries to add on the toll charge thingie and charges me for tolls that I paid cash for as well as charging me $30 more for the week.....well, it's not going to be pretty.

Alamo & National had plenty of 'standard' i.e. full size vehicles when we rented in June. Only once during a holiday period did we find the selection lacking.

goofy4tink - if not satisfied email them. We had issue where receipt was higher that estimated confirmation amount:confused3 but didn't keep it longer/add any options. CC was promptly credited after I complained.

I picked up the car from Thrifty. The only reason as a Thrifty Blue Chip member I could skip the line. As you would be at the inside rental counter, skip it! you do a 180* turn face backwards, go outsde and cross the street to the garage. Dollar and Thrifty are on the left. I looked up at the board by the Kiosk and my name was there with a number after it.

I went to the car my name was on it, a Chrysler 200. This was a "Special" car the pick you pay the compact rate. For 8.2 days $122.-- I was on my way in about ten minutes from the exit booth.
No itinary of return tickets, no insurance policy, however when I registered for Blue Chip I may have been prompted at the time I made the ressie for flight info and registered a card at that time.

The fastest rental I ever had. The car had tons of space, could seat 5, but 4 extremely comfortable. User friendly controls, great view of typical blind spots and the needle just moved from above Full a tad. I don't plan on it being the most economical, but really nice for the chance I took. I did take pictures of some scratches, and a bit of missing trim because no one walked around it with me.

I could of chosen EZ car if they had been less, but I was sold on the go directly to your car, no counter, or tons of documents.

Alamo & National had plenty of 'standard' i.e. full size vehicles when we rented in June. Only once during a holiday period did we find the selection lacking.

goofy4tink - if not satisfied email them. We had issue where receipt was higher that estimated confirmation amount:confused3 but didn't keep it longer/add any options. CC was promptly credited after I complained.

Will definitely contact them if its not the right cost. Haven't talked to dh yet....he had a really early flight this morning, so will see how it all worked out when he lands later this morning.

MCO does not have a separate area for standard cars. You will be selecting your car from the full size row. Not sure why you are worried, you should have a larger selection this way.

MCO does not have a separate area for standard cars. You will be selecting your car from the full size row. Not sure why you are worried, you should have a larger selection this way.

Thanks for the info. I was reading auger post of only 3 standard cars at checkout...didn't realize MCO included full size cars to choose from! Great news!

Thanks for the info. I was reading auger post of only 3 standard cars at checkout...didn't realize MCO included full size cars to choose from! Great news!

Auger rented from Tampa, not Orlando. Auger also received very poor customer service.
I can only speak for MCO as I really have no clue what other stations do, apparently they don't even follow the guidelines for Alamo at other places.
But, if you get there and do not find something that you like, go to the greeter or the inside booth and tell them. They will work with you to make sure you are 100% statisfied. This does not mean that you will get something of a higher class, it means that they will help you out within the confines of your reservation. Hint: go for the Impala. very large trunk ( the largest in the full size collection at 18.8 cf trunk) and it seats 5 very comfortably.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter