Official Disney Cake Chatter - Part V!

Niche question maybe, but has anyone noticed a strong flavor on frosting colors like purple, pink or red? This is sometimes an issue for us due to the food coloring used. Usually we just avoid ordering those colors but I want to do a Minnie themed cake so thinking pink or red is a must.

@wonderchica Not with Disney cakes, but yes with stuff I’ve made using gel food coloring! If you’re really worried, you might consider getting a fondant design. That way you’ll have plain white vanilla buttercream underneath to eat and still get the purple and red you want.

Niche question maybe, but has anyone noticed a strong flavor on frosting colors like purple, pink or red? This is sometimes an issue for us due to the food coloring used. Usually we just avoid ordering those colors but I want to do a Minnie themed cake so thinking pink or red is a must.
My purple buttercream just tasted like buttercream yesterday (and this morning for breakfast, because if you can’t eat cake for breakfast on your birthday trip, are you really even celebrating?)

Question regarding mini cakes.....looking at ordering a mini two tier for our anniversary dinner at Narcossee’s but was wondering if the cake / icing flavors were limited ? Also, what are your favorite combinations?

Question regarding mini cakes.....looking at ordering a mini two tier for our anniversary dinner at Narcossee’s but was wondering if the cake / icing flavors were limited ? Also, what are your favorite combinations?

In the past, the flavors were limited to chocolate or vanilla. But the people who are taking the cake orders now at the Grand Floridian seem to be a lot more amenable to accommodating requests for special flavors. There is a list of popular flavor combinations in post #1 of this thread. My favorite combinations are churro with churro crunch mousse, red velvet with cream cheese buttercream frosting, and chocolate cake with a combo of chocolate ganache and peanut butter buttercream frosting as a filling.

@lurkyloo
Thanks !! I tried to call and starting speaking to someone but then she cut our conversation short and said she would call me back in 2 seconds. That was almost an hour ago and nothing. Is there an email address to send a request to leave my number for a return call?

@lurkyloo
Thanks !! I tried to call and starting speaking to someone but then she cut our conversation short and said she would call me back in 2 seconds. That was almost an hour ago and nothing. Is there an email address to send a request to leave my number for a return call?
They don't have a generic email address at the GF the way the Contemporary does. I'd just keep calling back till you get ahold of a person!

@lurkyloo
Hi there! When I called to place my order last month, the GF voicemail gave this email address: wdw.dl-gf.pd.requests@disney.com
I emailed with a general idea of my request and someone called me back later that day. It seems like they're more available to return calls in the late afternoon/evening. Good luck!

@CheshireChatte
I called earlier today and got the recording as well. I used the email address given on the recording and Julie called me back but of course I was at work and missed both calls 😔. She left me a voicemail and told me to call back. I called the number back that showed up on my phone and it’s actually a different number than the number that is posted online. I reached a recording saying I could leave a message or send a text message. I chose the latter and within less than 20 minutes, Julie called again! Hopefully we are all set next month for our 30th 🤞🏻 and we’ll have cake !!

I spoke with Julie as well! The number she called from was her work cell phone (I initially missed her return call too because I didn't recognize the number). Glad you got everything squared away. Here's hoping we both enjoy fabulous (and delicious) cakes next month!!

@TISHLOVEDISNEY, Oh my! Both cakes are lovely, but that Flower and Garden Cake is amazing! :flower2: Can you tell us any information about the price of the cakes?

@TISHLOVEDISNEY, Oh my! Both cakes are lovely, but that Flower and Garden Cake is amazing! :flower2: Can you tell us any information about the price of the cakes?
Sorry, I meant to include.
Mickey was 90 I think. F&G was $$$ but I gave them a budget to not go over. I figured no dessert parties and you only turn 50 once and during WDW's 50th year too. :) It was 170. Each topiary was 20.
It definitely made me smile! I told them I wanted F&G and they delivered.

EDIT TO ADD prices included 18% tip and 10% AP discount

Last edited:
Sorry, I meant to include.
Mickey was 90 I think. F&G was $$$ but I gave them a budget to not go over. I figured no dessert parties and you only turn 50 once and during WDW's 50th year too. :) It was 170. Each topiary was 20.
It definitely made me smile! I told them I wanted F&G and they delivered.
Yes, they sure did deliver! That flower and garden cake is incredible! Thanks for the info.

I'm going to be at WDW with my kids mid April and looking to order a cake now that my twins have outgrown 95% of their allergies and can eat a regular Disney cake! Woohoooo! I was there in December and didn't have any luck with ordering. Never even got a call back and the one place I did reach (YC/BC) said only GF was doing cakes at that time (which didn't seem to be accurate from what I was reading here?)

So I'm just looking to confirm what I'm seeing so I know my current options. Looks like Yacht and Beach Club Bakery is now doing cakes and GF is allowing pick ups? Does it matter where you pick up? And Contemporary is doing cakes and also allowing pick up at The Wave?? Is this without a reservation I assume? I'm going to guess it's likely still hit or miss depending on who you get on the phone as usual, but if one of these is my best bet I'd like to start there.

This trip was kind of up in the air for a while, so we have no dining reservations, but I'd absolutely love to surprise my kids with an over the top cake, or 2, or 3. Whatever, never too much cake IMO.

TIA!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter