*OFFICIAL* Rivers of Light Details - Showtimes/Dining/FastPass+/Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just back, I'll try a spoiler free, honest review, coming from something that enjoys theater and the arts in general.
This is the perfect nighttime show for AK. AK to me has always been the relaxed park, where you take your time and instead of going from attraction to attraction, you stop and enjoy looking at an animal or a cultural show...from the moment I stepped into the theater to wait you could tell that a) everyone was excited to see the show and b) the music playing puts you in a very zen mood.
As with all shows, videos and pictures will not do it justice, so many vivid colors, transitions and effects that complement each other. The performers on the barges have very detailed choreographed moves and, yes the costumes that were so proudly displayed last year are gorgeous, I would've liked for them to be featured more.
I heard things after the show like "wow that was breathtaking" "beautiful show" to "it didn't really move me"
For those wanting the WOW factor, again that depends with the person. I think most people think of Disney shows and the wow factor in fireworks and other effects, and while this show doesn't have a loud Wow it left me with a feeling very similar to what I used to feel from Tapestry of Nations, the message that We Are One, all connected and interdependent to land, sea and animals , to me that is Wow factor enough.
I definitely recommend seeing it in person and not making a decision based on videos. Like I said in my previous post I sat in the fp section, last stone bench before the wood benches, and it was perfect.
hey @yulilin3

thanks for the great review. Our next trip is a year from now (boohoo) and we are doing a 4 day cruise and a few days at the parks (2 full, 2 partial). The plan had been for two epcot, two MK since those are our favorite parks but with RoL running now and Pandora open we might have to check out AK... but want to do it on a partial day... Do you have any sense at all whether once this gets going they will run it every day? Our two partial days are on Fridays and right now it is not running on Friday. I know it is way out there and schedules can change at any time....

I LOVED tapestry of dreams and still listen to the music from it so I think it would be worth seeing, but not willing to give up one of our two full days at the parks for it either when we only have two!

I have watched the debut of ROL on YouTube. It looks amazing and I think it was worth waiting for. I can't wait to see it in person though. In my opinion, as usual, Disney has done a good job of tapping into emotions with this show. The music and visual experience are very moving. For those who have seen it, what are your thoughts?

hey @yulilin3

thanks for the great review. Our next trip is a year from now (boohoo) and we are doing a 4 day cruise and a few days at the parks (2 full, 2 partial). The plan had been for two epcot, two MK since those are our favorite parks but with RoL running now and Pandora open we might have to check out AK... but want to do it on a partial day... Do you have any sense at all whether once this gets going they will run it every day? Our two partial days are on Fridays and right now it is not running on Friday. I know it is way out there and schedules can change at any time....

I LOVED tapestry of dreams and still listen to the music from it so I think it would be worth seeing, but not willing to give up one of our two full days at the parks for it either when we only have two!
From April this year, RoL will run nightly. What time of year are you going? They may reduce its show schedule during the slow periods.

We will be at Animal Kingdom on a Saturday (trip not till November though) and all our meals (hopefully if we get the ones we want) will be elsewhere or not at applicable restaurants, and we won't have the time to get a meal/reserved area package. So if we get a fastpass will that be good enough? Our plans are to go grab dinner at a signature restaurant that we've always wanted to try and then return for Rivers of Light.

Yes, if you plan on staying at AK all day besides leaving for Signature, I would FP the Pandora rides and ROL for the evening and hit the safari, Yeti etc.. in the morning. Then relax and visit the animals, see the shows in the afternoon. I would probably make your ADR no later than 4pm so you can enjoy the evening at AK.

Last edited:
will there be a RoL dessert party?
There's a dessert party for 3 of the 4 night time shows. And a dessert party/buffet is offered at Fantasmic, it's just that it's private. There is a dessert party and or dinner buffet held on the two patios at the top of the amphitheater quite regularly. It's a very popular and happens often.

As this time there has been no official mention of offering a RoL dessert party, but I would be shocked and amazed if it didn't happen.

There's a dessert party for 3 of the 4 night time shows. And a dessert party/buffet is offered at Fantasmic, it's just that it's private. There is a dessert party and or dinner buffet held on the two patios at the top of the amphitheater quite regularly. It's a very popular and happens often.

As this time there has been no official mention of offering a RoL dessert party, but I would be shocked and amazed if it didn't happen.
Dinosaur lounge maybe?

From April this year, RoL will run nightly. What time of year are you going? They may reduce its show schedule during the slow periods.
we're looking at february 2018 but from the tail end (friday - sunday) of the winter break for most of the east coast into the following week, and it looks like they do have some extended hours in other parks that week so maybe. It's a long way off to try to plan, hoping that by 6 months out when stuff is bookable I can book it but not counting on that either! Even if they drop it back to a few nights a week there is no guarantee it one of them won't be a friday by then. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Would love to do TH dinner package too. But again, we'll see!

@Lisa F I think unless there is abysmal demand for ROL they'll probably run it every night so that there is another big attraction to draw some of the crowds away from Pandora's new attractions. As you said "wait and see" but just my two cents :)

Do y'all remember how they handled Jungle Book dining package tickets and fastpass on nights where the show cancelled due to weather? I seem to recall tickets were good for a few nights afterward, but thought I'd check with the "DIS hive mind." :cutie:

(I realize that RoL protocol may not be the same as JB.). Thanks so much!

we're looking at february 2018 but from the tail end (friday - sunday) of the winter break for most of the east coast into the following week, and it looks like they do have some extended hours in other parks that week so maybe. It's a long way off to try to plan, hoping that by 6 months out when stuff is bookable I can book it but not counting on that either! Even if they drop it back to a few nights a week there is no guarantee it one of them won't be a friday by then. Guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Would love to do TH dinner package too. But again, we'll see!
I suspect by then it will be running nightly. No guarantees, but based on how popular it has been in soft opening over the past few days - it will need to run nightly to keep up with demand. Especially with Pandora being open by then, AK will be a nighttime park. TH is a great restaurant, so if you are planning on eating there anyway, the package may be worth it. Definitely "wait and see" as you say though. It'll soon come around!!

Do y'all remember how they handled Jungle Book dining package tickets and fastpass on nights where the show cancelled due to weather? I seem to recall tickets were good for a few nights afterward, but thought I'd check with the "DIS hive mind." :cutie:

DIS hive mind! :rotfl:

(Although I can't answer your question...)

They have been working so hard on this show I can't help but feel sorry for the cast and crew.

Feel the same way. At this point, I just can't imagine how frustrated they must be, but at least, they've produced a quality show (when it works).

For other similar events (like F! dinner package and dessert parties) they will allow you admission to the show on a different night, I believe up to 5 nights after your meal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter