Official WDW Marathon Weekend 2013 Thread-Part 2

Glad to see you're ok Coach. I figured you might have been sick. It's funny because I was watching a report on the flu this morning and they said endurance athletes are more likely to get sick. Feel better.

Nice to hear from you Coach! Sorry about the flu though. My friend got it too, but I didn't, and she didn't run any races. I heard a lot of people who came down with illness after returning home from the marathon. Glad you finished with a beer, and thanks again for all the advice along the long and winding road!

I am still trying to catch up with the last 20 pages or so. We went on a cruise immediately after the marathon, so I haven't really gotten a chance to post until now.

We took the half slow, but ran most of it, did stop to take pix along the way. Finished in 2:50, felt good the rest of that day.

Marathon morning plan was to do 6:2 intervals. Started out that way and did okay until about mile 14, when the heat and humidity really started to get to me. I was having trouble catching my breath and keeping up with my coach. I started doing more walking and decided that he need to continue with the running and I would just walk the remainder. The concern was time, as we had to leave WDW no later than 1:30 to make it to Port Canaveral for the ship. I knew I could finish by 12:30 or so even walking the last 11-12 miles. So my friend went on and I persevered.

WWOS- 2 thumbs down. Just awful. Only ray of sunshine there was the sponge, which I kept and put under my hat.

Mile 20 "Spectacular" -#lame-o. I was like "really, this is it?" But hey I met Joey Fatone the day before so :lmao:

I had a lot of trouble with chafing and was getting vaseline at every med tent. I did take powerade at pretty much every stop after mile 18 or so, and was so happy when the volunteers would offer you a "shower".

Finished in 6:45, not stellar, but I DID IT!!!! And I am never doing it again.

We made it to PC in about 40 minutes, DH was driving like a mad man. And the cruise was just the right cure for the post race soreness.

On the flu shot thing...
did anyone feel like they were getting the flu about 24 hours after the shot?
sore throat, fever? I'm hoping that may be the key. If one felt poorly right after them one's body was building up against a full blown case.

Anyway, just hoping that feeling poorly 24 hours after shot is my ticket to wellness.

For those that feel horrible hope you make a speedy recovery.

joan4mickey said:
On the flu shot thing...
sore throat, fever? I'm hoping that may be the key. If one felt poorly right after them one's body was building up against a full blown case.

Anyway, just hoping that feeling poorly 24 hours after shot is my ticket to wellness.

Another one here with a cold or the flu or something! I came down with it last Wednesday and now I'm losing my voice. I had the flu shot in October and did not have any reaction. Not even much soreness in the injection site. So, maybe I got the "dud" shot this year.

FFigawi said:
It might be due to the slower pace you were running at. As we slow down, our stride tends to shorten, and that can cause all kinds of stiffness and soreness because we're moving in ways that we're not used to.

I was thinking it could be a running form issue. Also, slow is pretty usual for me but there were a lot if places where I slowed down even more because of crowding, etc. So, what you say makes sense.

On the flu shot thing...

I felt pretty cruddy a day or so after the flu shot, worse than other years. Something nasty went through my office right before Christmas. I am guessing it was the flu. I got it, but much, much milder than everyone else. I ran a very low grade fever and a coughed for 2 or 3 days but that was it. Mike didn't have it then, but he has it now. Again same thing, everyone else at his work was really sick and he got a mild version. We were at WDW when I was feeling less than stellar.

Hope you stay healthy!

102 Goofy’s finished marathon, but didn’t do the half (and probably got a Goofy medal)

That number will increase as long as there is no verification of runners in the chute. It's kind of crazy as we had to stand in line for our perfect gear.

I'm sorry to see so many have joined me in getting sick post-race. Ugh!

I hadn't heard about the flu shot possibly being a dud this year. I get the shot every year because I have asthma. I'm still not over being sick, my lungs are a mess and it is really a bummer. I had hoped to continue to build off this marathon and keep running, and moving forward in general, but am taking some forced time off instead!

Like Coach, I am planning on this race being a springboard to a great 2013! Cheers to all, again, everyone has such inspiring stories.

On the flu shot thing...

Every once in a while I will get a small fever or cold....

Just saw a study suggesting that the best thing to do post shot is to go for a 90 minute run. The thought is that it 'spreads' the vaccine out and the run activates the body to produce the necessary receptors to produce the immunity.

I came down with a cold as well. Still trying to clear my chest. UGH!

As for the marathon itself; Great first 17 miles then the temp just nailed me. I'm a cold weather lover anyway so anything over 70 bothers me. Wasnt to thrilled about the WWoS section. I too miss the first Epcot loop. Loved getting thru AK without the crowds and down the parkway before the sun and heat combined. Wound up run/walking the last 6 miles. Just past the 20 marker I looked over and there was Coach Galloway right next to me doing the exact same thing lol! By HS I noticed a lot more run walkers and by Epcot a lot more walkers lol... I have to say the marathon medal is excellent (and the "few" beers at the Biergarten that night)

Cheers to everyone who ran! :drinking1

Final Thoughts.

I was happy to complete the weekend. The year leading into this race was less than banner for me personally. I am using this as a springboard to kickoff a new year.

Thanks Coach for all your encouraging words and advice prior to the race. Glad you are starting to feel better. I finished my first half marathon and missed my goal of finishing under 2 hours by 64 seconds. All things considered (injury, walking EPCOT the day before, and the heat), I'm really happy with my time. The marathon weekend has inspired me to complete a couple of more half marathons in the upcoming months, including one each in Maui and Pittsburgh.

After walking around with my first ever medal on Saturday, my wife wants to do the half marathon next year. She's never been a runner, but we will find a plan that fits her ability so that she can earn her first medal too. I was very envious of all those walking around with their Goofy medals the next day :worship: and I thought if my wife wants to do the half marathon, then I'm going to do it with her and then I can run the marathon the next day and get a Goofy medal of my own.

I too am using this race as a springboard kick off a new year. Many little tweaks to my training schedule too...I'm starting a Yoga class to stretch and strengthen my muscles and I'm starting a Core class to get stronger. Hopefully these two classes combined with a solid training program will get me through my first marathon and first Goofy next January!

Thanks to everyone on this board who contributes. Your words and stories have given me the desire to do this. I applaud all of you :thumbsup2.:thanks:

I was very envious of all those walking around with their Goofy medals the next day :worship: and I thought if my wife wants to do the half marathon, then I'm going to do it with her and then I can run the marathon the next day and get a Goofy medal of my own.

That kind of thinking last year earned me my first Goofy this year, including running the half with my wife. With a good training plan, its amazing what you can get your body to do :thumbsup2

Oh, and watch out, it's addictive (Dumbo Double Dare here I come!) ::yes::

JeffW said:
That kind of thinking last year earned me my first Goofy this year, including running the half with my wife. With a good training plan, its amazing what you can get your body to do :thumbsup2

Oh, and watch out, it's addictive (Dumbo Double Dare here I come!) ::yes::

Yeah! What JeffW said! LOL

I ran my first Half in 2012 and then decided to do Goofy because I saw so many of my friends doing it and having so much fun! So this year, it was awesome walking with those same friends with our Goofy medals! (And yes, I just had to sign up for the Dumbo because I want that Coast-to-Coast medal too)

My addiction is in full force! Hahaha

My parents were so inspired by cheering us on that they want to run the WDW half next year! I think it helps to see all the shapes, sizes, and speeds to realize that if you want it, you can do it!

Anybody else itching to run? I got the flu and a cold before the marathon but still made it through. I was sore Monday and Tuesday after the race, but Wednesday I felt completely fine and have since. But the cold was kicking my butt, but today I am finally feeling almost normal.

I want (and possibly need for my mental health) to run very badly!

I am worried about losing fitness, though I should still be okay (I mean, less than 2 weeks ago, I did run a marathon). :cool1:

I am planning on running Pittsburgh in May (anybody else?) and now I am trying to decide which Disney race to do next! I am thinking ToT, but I may hold out for marathon weekend!

I did my first post marathon run on Wednesday and was suprised at how good my legs felt. I was a little more winded than expected, but the temp was only 21 degrees, so maybe that had something to do with it. I was looking forward to a short run again tonight, but it's snowing and blowing here. Sorry to hear about everyone's illnesses! Marathon runners are definitely more vulnerable to illness up to 2 weeks after the race. Hang in there!

This was my first Half, too. I also am feeling like I want to go Goofy next January. I was so jealous of that medal and felt like "big deal, I ran 1/3 of that.". Is that crazy-stupid talk, or totally plausible? I've seen a few people between here & fb saying that this was their first Goofy AND Marathon, but I'm wondering if I'm setting myself up for injury.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter