'Ohana Emergency!

Thanks, everybody. I'm pretty sure they'll like it once they try it. I did a lot of research to find restaurants the pickier people would like. Besides 'Ohana we have a breakfast at Crystal Palace, lunch at Garden Grill and dinner at 50s Prime Time.
Sometimes my MIL will get it in her head that she doesn't like something and not really give it a chance.
Wish me luck for our trip. It should be interesting!
As one who does WDW with family frequently...I wish you luck!!!!
My inlaws LOVE 50s Prime Time and they like Liberty Tree which is just like Garden Grill (my inlaws would love GG too then). We've never done Crystal palace. Another one they like, which is probably the MOST exotic they'll go, is Biergarten.

My mom is the world's pickiest eater. Last time at Ohana, she had them bring her a cheeseburger. She was happy. We were happy. And then we all watched the fireworks from our table while eating dessert.

Just a tip for 'Ohana if you haven't been. Make special requests as soon as possible. So if you don't want something, want extra, want well-done meat etc, it makes your life and dining experience so much easier if you request early.

tell her to just chill and enjoy. they will always bring her mac and cheese or chicken fingers if she can't stand a little sweet and sour sauce on her chicken ;)

My sister is one of the strangest pickiest eaters I have ever seen and really contrary too. If we say we like anything she tends to make it a point to say she isn't impressed. Well, Ohana is the majority of our crews favorite Disney restaurant. Because we were so excited, she started out as Debbie Downer and didn't want anything on the menu. Pouting ensued. She cited a bunch of food allergies. One of the wait staff brought out the chef who was so absolutely wonderful and accommodating. Debbie Downer turned into Hannah Happy. The chef made her a burger that she STILL says is the best she had in her life. Her son who is also a picky eater that hates anything remotely spicy declared it his favorite restaurant in Disney too. He had the same table fare as the rest of the table. It's not really spicy. Just DELICIOUSLY flavorful! Good luck and have fun!

Has she even looked at the menu for Boma?
How can anyone who can read could look at a menu for Boma and a menu for Ohana and think Ohana is exotic and Boma isn't?
Ohana may well be too exotic for them but Boma isn't the answer, that is for sure.
Though really, how can shrimp, steak and chicken grilled on a stick be too exotic? Sides may well be but not the meats.
God knew what he was doing when he didn't put any picky eaters in my life. I'm afraid they'd be starving as I don't put up with that at all.
You'd put up with it if they were your babies and you loved them dearly no matter if they were picky or not!

Everyone in my pain in the rear family with special diets and allergies and "I don't eat nightshade vegetables" whateverness can find something to eat at Ohana. It's always on the Must Do list.
Food is very palatable and only a touch exotic.

From someone who thinks black pepper is too spicy.....go to 'Ohana. It's very good. Flavorful, not spicy. Have a great trip!

I am EXTREMELY picky!! And I hate spicy things! Ohana was one of the best meals I have had at Disney! I loved the meat and bread! I didn't try the dumplings, noodles, or bread pudding (Not my thing!)

The salad and dumplings aren't spicy but you can add a sauce to make it hotter. We didn't feel the meat was too spicy but had a one tone taste to it

Thanks! I probably would have laughed too if I wasn't gritting my teeth so hard. Gotta love being the planner for a group of indecisive people. Haha
As a fellow planner for indecisive family members, I'd just tell them Boma is booked and Ohana is all that's left. Which is probably technically true. No way I'd keep checking once I'm onsite when you snagged them one of the best dinner ADRs available. People who aren't involved in the planning think making these changes is easy. They have no idea the time and effort that goes into it, affording them the luxury to suggest last minute changes based on limited knowledge and information. Sorry--people who suggest last minute changes after 0% involvement in the planning are a pet peeve of mine for sure!

Has she even looked at the menu for Boma?
How can anyone who can read could look at a menu for Boma and a menu for Ohana and think Ohana is exotic and Boma isn't?
Ohana may well be too exotic for them but Boma isn't the answer, that is for sure.
Though really, how can shrimp, steak and chicken grilled on a stick be too exotic? Sides may well be but not the meats.
God knew what he was doing when he didn't put any picky eaters in my life. I'm afraid they'd be starving as I don't put up with that at all.
ha ha, totally agree with this 100%!!

OP, as others have said, i'd stick with Ohana. Boma is more exotic than Ohana! Im sure there will be something she likes. If anything, they can bring her adult sized kids meals. :) Also, another poster had a great idea...just tell them Boma is all booked up. :laughing:

Last edited:
As a fellow planner for indecisive family members, I'd just tell them Boma is booked and Ohana is all that's left. Which is probably technically true. No way I'd keep checking once I'm onsite when you snagged them one of the best dinner ADRs available. People who aren't involved in the planning think making these changes is easy. They have no idea the time and effort that goes into it, affording them the luxury to suggest last minute changes based on limited knowledge and information. Sorry--people who suggest last minute changes after 0% involvement in the planning are a pet peeve of mine for sure!

YES!!! This is exactly what I was going to say! If I'm the only one planning for months & waking up at 5:30 am to make sure that we have the "perfect" reservations for our large group, then I reserve the right to say ::cough, cough:: "Sorry, that's all booked. I guess we'll just have to stick with our original plan." Ultimately, they trusted you to plan the whole shindig because you know what's truly better for your large group than one confused person who might ruin it for everyone else. Best wishes & pixie dust!!

Not so sure about that. DGD tries to be picky. Says I don't like this and I don't like that. Rule in my house (she lives with us) is you eat at least one spoon of everything served. DD grew up with the same rule
And that's a great rule, until you have a kid with ASD or allergies who CAN'T do that. Allergies is obvious, but, the ASD kid would refuse food and seem picky, but it's not awkwardness, it's that it is impossible for him to put x food in his mouth. Unlike picky kids, he WOULD starve if there was no option. AS long as his diet is healthy overall, then we HAVE to live with it, and just encourage trying new things sometimes.

And that's a great rule, until you have a kid with ASD or allergies who CAN'T do that. Allergies is obvious, but, the ASD kid would refuse food and seem picky, but it's not awkwardness, it's that it is impossible for him to put x food in his mouth. Unlike picky kids, he WOULD starve if there was no option. AS long as his diet is healthy overall, then we HAVE to live with it, and just encourage trying new things sometimes.
Not talking about kids with any issues that prevent them from eating something. That is an entirely different thing. And fits exactly in my original statement that God knew what he was doing when he didn't put anyone on my life who couldn't eat something. I'm certain I would adapt if I had a kid with SAD but it would be an effort

Not talking about kids with any issues that prevent them from eating something. That is an entirely different thing. And fits exactly in my original statement that God knew what he was doing when he didn't put anyone on my life who couldn't eat something. I'm certain I would adapt if I had a kid with SAD but it would be an effort
I am sure you would adapt too. And yes, it is a HUGE effort. Drives me to distraction often!

Wish me luck for our trip. It should be interesting!

I have eaten at both and agree with the consensus that Boma is much more exotic than O'hana. But more importantly, I thought I would chime in as the planner of many a large group trip to Disney!

You are paying a huge amount of money for your family to enjoy a trip to WDW (unless the in-laws are paying, in which case they probably feel they have paid to be fussy all they want). It can be an exhausting and somewhat overwhelming trip even with a smaller group and without any funky family dynamics - but add in a whole lotta opinionated people and it can be a nightmare. On our very first trip, before I discovered the boards and became the Disney planner that I am today, there were 8 of us and there was a lot of "well, what do YOU wanna do? I don't know, what do YOU wanna do?" Standing in the hot sun having that conversation over and over = meltdowns. Same goes for you putting your neck out to plan the thing and then everyone and their opinions bringing you down. And being all excited to eat at the "meat on sticks" place and deciding well after 180+ that they would like to dine at the Beast's private table.

Not to be cynical - I am sure you will have a marvelous time with your loved ones. But my best advice is this..."Attention, dear ones, I have planned this trip to the best of my ability. I have tried to incorporate ideas from anyone who has contributed them. I have attempted to take into account the interests and stamina of everyone in the group. I have spent countless hours researching the Most Magical Place on Earth so that we might have the vacation of a lifetime surrounded by those we love. I have done my best. If at any time the plan is not in keeping with your interests and/or desires, PLEASE feel free to break from the group and do what makes you happy. I cannot be held responsible for any moments or situations that do not meet your satisfaction. Problems may happen, flights may be delayed, wait times outside restaurants may exceed what's expected, the weather may not cooperate, the food may be spicier than expected. These things are not my fault. Now with that disclaimer, let's go have the time of our lives!"

I have had to create this motto because I always feel so responsible for the happiness of the whole group and it helps to keep these things in mind!

Hope you have a wonderful trip! :flower1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter