OKW Post-2042

FinnFogg

Mouseketeer
I currently own at OKW (2042), as well as AKL and AUL. I LOVE OKW. When I was there last week, I was thinking how unfortunate it was that my contest at this resort would be expiring in 2042. I was considering buying some extended 2057 OKW points, but then it occurred to me that DVC owners at other resorts should still be able to book OKW at the 7 month mark thru 2057. Does anyone know the answer to this? I assume that it should be the case, but I’ve never really thought about it. I have another 720 points at AUL and AKL, so don’t really need more after OKW expires.

The long and the short of it is nobody really knows what's going to happen because a DVC property has not expired yet, so there is no precedent.

OKW will not expire in 2042. It was extended to 2057. All of it. The only issue is whether the individual continues to own or all the rights of ownership pass to Disney.

So other owners will continue to have access to OKW after 2042 under the current rules, with the questions being, "How much of the resort will Disney own and what will Disney do with their portion of the resort?"

If they only rent for cash or find a legal way to shutter some of the buildings, that may limit availability to other owners...

I currently own at OKW (2042), as well as AKL and AUL. I LOVE OKW. When I was there last week, I was thinking how unfortunate it was that my contest at this resort would be expiring in 2042. I was considering buying some extended 2057 OKW points, but then it occurred to me that DVC owners at other resorts should still be able to book OKW at the 7 month mark thru 2057. Does anyone know the answer to this? I assume that it should be the case, but I’ve never really thought about it. I have another 720 points at AUL and AKL, so don’t really need more after OKW expires.
Yes you will.

OKW will not expire in 2042. It was extended to 2057. All of it. The only issue is whether the individual continues to own or all the rights of ownership pass to Disney.

So other owners will continue to have access to OKW after 2042 under the current rules, with the questions being, "How much of the resort will Disney own and what will Disney do with their portion of the resort?"

If they only rent for cash or find a legal way to shutter some of the buildings, that may limit availability to other owners...
About 30% of OKW is extended. DVC is going to have a hard time to shutter a building since odds are, part of those points for any building has been extended. I’m not sure DVC can shut down a perfectly good building. If it is damaged to a certain percent they can shutter it.
We still have a bit of time. I would expect DVC to buy back and sell OKW.

Did you ever sign the quitclaim? If not, maybe you got extended for free, will be fun to find out when 2042 hits!

The entire land lease is extended, and Disney has made an effort to ROFR and resell a good amount of it, so more and more will become extended over time.

Because of the way the points are split, I don't see how Disney could possibly secure all of a building in 2042 with no extended interests. Maybe if they made careful plans for ROFR so that some will revert entirely in 2042. They'd have to not ROFR (and extend) in certain areas. Even then, I don't think they can make those buildings cash or bulldoze them or something.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter