Old Tomorrowland phone booths???

Tres Vegas

Earning My Ears
Can anyone help me with this one? As a kid in the mid 70's I remember in tomorrow land they used to have these family size phone booths by the old (I hope I get this correct) America the beautiful multi screen movie room. I know it may not have been a popular attraction but I have fond memories of us calling families in other states when we would go to Disney.

Anyway I can't seem to remember what they were officially called nor can I find any photos or descriptions of it here nor on the web. Thanks for any tips/photos......

I can't help you with your request, but I do remember them! I good memory of the past. :-)

I also remember them! I think about them every time I am in Tomorrow Land. I miss the old attractions and phone booths.

Sadly, they're gone. If I'm remembering correctly, they were in the lobby of the Circle Vision Theater in Tomorrowland. They did show a film called America the Beautiful, sponsored by Delta Airlines, I think? The lobby area was set up kind of like an airport and had the phone booths you're thinking of along the wall. It was in the building across from Star Tours that now houses the Buzz Lightyear ride. I could be thinking of something else, but I do remember taking a nap in that lobby area! I was about 11 weeks pregnant and had nausea off and on. My dad had just had a minor heart attack. My mom had cousins in from France and they really wanted to go to DL. My dad was cleared by his doctor to take the trip, so we all went. He and I spent a lot of time relaxing on benches while everyone else did the big rides. We both took naps in that building while the rest of the group rode Star Tours. That baby I had just turned 20-years old last week, so it was definitely a while ago!

They were sponsored by Bell, and I think that Bell also sponsored the America the Beautiful in Circle-Vision 360 during the 1960's and 70's. Looks like Delta became the sponsor in the 1990's. I do remember being able to call home from the magical conference call rooms. Mom could talk to all of us at once!

Yes! the descriptions above takes me back and they were across from where Star Tours is located. Bell was the sponsor I remember that now, amazing with all the Disney fans not one photo can be found maybe someone will see this and post a photo.

Sadly, they're gone. If I'm remembering correctly, they were in the lobby of the Circle Vision Theater in Tomorrowland. They did show a film called America the Beautiful, sponsored by Delta Airlines, I think?

Had to look it up. Originally the Bell System (AT&T) and the regional Bell division Pacific Telephone sponsored that movie. I'm pretty sure that the sponsors changed over the years as did the movie (A Tour of the West, America the Beautiful, Wonders of China, American Journeys). The Wikipedia article mentions it was originally sponsored by the car company American Motors, then Bell System/AT&T, Pacific Southwest Airlines, and finally Delta. You'd love PSA.

Pacific_Southwest_Airlines_L-1011_N10114_1.jpg

Oh - I could find this photo from the 1964 Worlds Fair:

AC0519-0000043.jpg

There were always 2 things we did at to start our DL trips when I was in a kid. The first was to buy a postcard for the grandparents to post from DL and the second was to call them from those phone booths. I haven't thought of that for years, so thank for the memories OP.

I grew up,in Anaheim and even though we only lived a couple miles away, we loved calling our family on these——they WERE of the future as now I regularly use Face Time for family calls and Zoom for meetings!

The entrance lobby to Circle Vision had cushioned seats (no backs) with flags hanging from the ceiling and they used to play games trying to name the flags to pass the time. When we exited the theater (do you remember that ride on the fire truck down Lombard Street in San Francisco?) we went in a big room full of phones. One of those was a phone booth, and I remember all of us (1973) sitting in the room talking to my aunt in Texas, and she was so surprised to hear more than one of us.

I couldn't find any pics of the room interior

Here's a video about it on Youtube:

I remember when they removed the telephones and had more space related items, including aerogel. I thought it was so interesting.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter