Olympus Evolt Series

BTW, anyone who's been to WDW lately see many Oly users? dSLRs and PENs? Just wondering what the trend is given that others are seeing more dSLRs.

Shoot, just lost a whole post. Will try again.

Soft Focus
PC126807-E.jpg

P7255358.jpg

Pinhole
P7114286.jpg

P7114270.jpg

Too bad this one was slightly out of focus :headache:
PB206285-E.jpg

PB206298-E.jpg

Sepia (or the other one who's name escapes me, I think)
PB206298-E2.jpg

Pop Art
P6012481.jpg

BTW, anyone who's been to WDW lately see many Oly users? dSLRs and PENs? Just wondering what the trend is given that others are seeing more dSLRs.

I was there last weekend and saw quite a few Olympus p & s cameras but no DSLR's or PEN's. I did notice a lot more Pentax DSLR's though than at anytime before.

Thanks for the art filter samples. I'll check them out when I get home as the work PC blocks most images.

In regards to the art modes the only one I use is the pin hole. In regards to oly slr's in the parks i'll be taking my ep1 with the 14-150 and the panasonic 20mm 1.7 when I go in February. When I do go I see the odd Olympus but not even close to the number of canikons out there.

So nobody has any issues when printing that a sometimes a little gets cut off the top and bottom? I've had trouble both at local stores and places like SmugMug when I went to order a canvas print. I noticed there were lots of choices of aspect ratios, but I never tried different ones. I have no idea about this. :laughing: :confused3

Not when shooting (well, maybe once or twice) but I often try out the art modes in pp, just for fun. I've done portraits for friends (casually) that I've put the soft focus on and they came out really nice. I like the pinhole for some reason. And the pop art is fun. Let me see if I can pull some up as examples.

I ordered a couple of prints from Walgreen's last week and the top and bottom were cut off. I don't know anything about setting aspect ratios in camera, but some places, Sam's Club does I know, have the option of printing "true digital" prints. Nothing is cropped then. Sam's will have a crop symbol next to the size print you have ordered if it will be cropped at that size. You can click on that and it will give you a preview and you can crop to how you want it if you still want that size.

Walgreen's also has a preview button, so you can adjust the image so that what you want doesn't get cut off. They don't have the true digital size though.

Usually if I know what size I want to print, I'll crop it to that ratio in PSE7 or LR3. I had a canvas printed at 24x36, so I cropped the image to a 4x6 ratio so that the canvas would come out the way I wanted.

As far as the art filters, I have 3 of them in the E600, but I forget I have them. Pinhole seems to be similar to vignetting which I've done using LR3 in a few of my pictures.

I haven't been to WDW in over a year, so I don't know about the prevalence of Oly DSLR's there now. I did see an E3 in Williamsburg in the spring.:thumbsup2 DD23's going to WDW Jan. 2 -- I think she's going to take the E520.

So I tried out the Art Filters on my new E30 andwhen I loaded up LightRoom they did not appear. Do these only show up as JPEG's?

So I tried out the Art Filters on my new E30 andwhen I loaded up LightRoom they did not appear. Do these only show up as JPEG's?

I'm not positive but I think the in camera art filters only work on JPEG's.

I sent this to someone else and thought I'd post it here if anyone was looking for Olympus references and/or current thoughts on Olympus. I'll also include it in the OP.

New E5 http://www.dpreview.com/previews/OlympusE5/

E30 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse30/page34.asp

E620 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse620/

On the Future from Olympus Exec http://dpnow.com/6943.html

Why Olympus? http://www.veoelmundo.com/photograph...t-with-Olympus

I hope Santa's good to everyone!! Merry Christmas! :santa:

Hi everyone-
I don't think I've posted since I first bought my e520 about a year and half ago. Now I'm looking to expand my horizons with my camera and I'm looking at the 25mm f2.8 Zuiko Pancake Lens. Does anybody have that lens? What do you think?

We're headed to WDW in a few weeks and I'd love to take a news lens with me.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Hi Ryan. I have that lens. All of the pics I posted today on the Winter Scavenger Hunt were taken with it except the beach picture. It was the first time I'd used it in a long time (since I bought a Sigma 25m f/1.8 that came my way after I bought it and I got to really love that lens, but it hunts for a focus more in low light than the pancake does). I also took a bunch with it last time I was at WDW that can be seen in my Trip Report thread from 2009. Go under my username, then statistics, then threads started by me to find it. I believe most of the Studios pics were taken with it and a few others, I think I listed EXIF data. It's also very small so that you could literally stick your camera in your pocket when it's on.

Hi everyone-
I don't think I've posted since I first bought my e520 about a year and half ago. Now I'm looking to expand my horizons with my camera and I'm looking at the 25mm f2.8 Zuiko Pancake Lens. Does anybody have that lens? What do you think?

We're headed to WDW in a few weeks and I'd love to take a news lens with me.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

I have the 25mm and it's great for when you want to go small. Normally I have the 12-60mm on my 600 along with the FL-36R flash. One day in Colonial Williamsburg in April, I only carried the pancake lens and the 50mm f/2 with me and left the flash back in the room. It felt good after carrying the heavier setup in 90+ degrees every day.

DD23 has my 520 and the 14-42 with her at WDW this week. I offered her the 25mm too, but I don't think she really wants to switch lenses.

Have a great time in WDW!

Thanks so much for your replies! Linda, your pics in that trip report were great and exactly the examples I was looking for. I think I am going to go ahead with this lens and see where it takes me.

Does anybody have any advice on external flashes? Looking on Amazon, there is a pretty wide range of prices and reviews. I don't want to break the bank, but the built-in flash is really the only thing that bugs me about this camera.

Thanks again!

Thanks so much for your replies! Linda, your pics in that trip report were great and exactly the examples I was looking for. I think I am going to go ahead with this lens and see where it takes me.

Does anybody have any advice on external flashes? Looking on Amazon, there is a pretty wide range of prices and reviews. I don't want to break the bank, but the built-in flash is really the only thing that bugs me about this camera.

Thanks again!

Olympus makes 4 flashes for the E series cameras, the FL36, FL36R, FL50 and FL50R. Since the E520 has wireless capabilities (off camera control) make sure you look for the R designation. The FL50R is a more pro level flash but will cost twice as much as the FL36R (approx. $450 vs. $200). I have the FL36R and it is a great flash but I find on some occassions I really wish I had the 50.

Metz makes Oly compatible flashes that I hear are very good as well but I've never used them. You can also get numerous flashes off Ebay that claim they are Oly TTL (through the lens) metering compatible but I'm sceptical of those. However they will most likely be ok if you are comfortable using manual flash control.

Thanks again!

I have the FL-36R and for my casual shooting, it's fine. If I were a professional I would go with the FL-50R. The only thing I have been frustrated with is the recharge time. The other day, I put in lithium batteries and so far I think the flash is working better with them than the Energizer ones I had.

I have the FL-36R and for my casual shooting, it's fine. If I were a professional I would go with the FL-50R. The only thing I have been frustrated with is the recharge time. The other day, I put in lithium batteries and so far I think the flash is working better with them than the Energizer ones I had.

Have you tries the Sanyo Enloops? So far they are the best I've used as rechargables go although they seem a bit more expensive.

I saw on the rumour site that Olympus will announce the new EPL-2 PEN camera as well as the XZ-1 high end compact tomorrow.

I have both the FL36 and the FL50. I generally use the 50 and when it works, it's great, but I often have trouble getting it to fire. I know it has to do with my settings (camera and flash). It actually drives me crazy sometimes. :headache: I think I'm going to start using the 36 more and see what happens. Not sure if it will make it easier or harder. Definitely smaller.

I saw on the rumour site that Olympus will announce the new EPL-2 PEN camera as well as the XZ-1 high end compact tomorrow.
Looking forward to seeing what the PL2 has to offer. I never got the cash to buy the PEN and am still debating whether to let the E510 go. I used it the other day when I needed two bodies, and it performed well. Decisions, decisions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter