Once Upon A Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got to watch the latest ep ... since I'm a TRON geek, did anybody pick up on the TRON references. Remember that the creators of the show also wrote TRON: Legacy, and they referenced the 'Space Paranoids' video game (from the original Flynn's Arcade in TRON) in season 1.

- The computer advertisement on the park bench was for ENCOM
- Kurt tells Owen to call his uncle after he runs away at the end ... could his uncle be Kevin Flynn ...

I doubt they'll ever completely link the universes, but how cool would it be to see Sam Flynn from TRON: Legacy turn out to be Owen's cousin ...

Just got to watch the latest ep ... since I'm a TRON geek, did anybody pick up on the TRON references. Remember that the creators of the show also wrote TRON: Legacy, and they referenced the 'Space Paranoids' video game (from the original Flynn's Arcade in TRON) in season 1.

- Kurt tells Owen to call his uncle after he runs away at the end ... could his uncle be Kevin Flynn ...

I doubt they'll ever completely link the universes, but how cool would it be to see Sam Flynn from TRON: Legacy turn out to be Owen's cousin ...

Not into Tron. Who is Kevin Flynn?

Not into Tron. Who is Kevin Flynn?

Kevin Flynn was Jeff Bridges character in the TRON movies. Flynn played a programmer who worked for an IBM type company in 1982 called ENCOM. He also created video games on the side, with his most propular being 'Space Paranoids'. In the movie, Flynn gets sucked into the 'inner world' of computers. By the end of the movie he had become one of ENCOM's directors. Henry was seen playing 'Space Paranoids' on a portable game system in season 1 of Once Upon a Time. With the ENCOM computer advertisement on the park bench in the recent ep, it's at least possible that we're sort of playing in the same universe. Not only that, but Kurt Flynn looks and acts a lot like Jeff Bridges Kevin Flynn. In the TRON movies, Kevin Flynn eventually has a son named Sam.

Since the creators of Once Upon (Kitsis/Horowitz) also wrote the TRON sequel and are huge TRON fans, this is probably just subtle fanboy references. But with the mention of Owen's uncle, I just think it would be really cool if Owen Flynn is related to Kevin Flynn / Jeff Bridges ... it is a Disney property afterall.

I know this is petty, but did it bother anyone else that they were supposed to be in 1983, they had 1983 cars and that 1983 computer bus bench advertisement, yet their hair/clothing/makeup stayed modern? :upsidedow Incidentally, I've always found it odd that all of their fashion and technology changed with the times even though they were supposed to be frozen in time and shut off from the world....:scratchin

And how did Henry age when no one else did? Did Regina have him hidden somewhere for his first 10 years?

I picked up on that too and thought the same thing! I'd love a Tron episode.

I saw someone commented on the fact that Henry aged while no one else did. Maybe because Henry isn't from their land? :confused3

I saw someone commented on the fact that Henry aged while no one else did. Maybe because Henry isn't from their land? :confused3

My guess on the aging rule is that no one who lives in Storybrooke while the clock tower is frozen will age. It wouldn't matter where you were born. Remember that Emma, Baelfire, and August were all born in the fantasy realm, but still aged due to not growing up in Storybrooke. If you left Storybrooke you would probably start aging. Henry was adopted (I thought at age 10), and my guess is that as soon as he entered Storybrooke he stopped aging. I thought Henry wasn't in town long before he started tracking down Emma to begin the series. Once the clock tower started moving all bets were off, and the aging started.

EDIT: Now thinking about it ... didn't Gold give Henry to Regina as a baby? If so, that sort of doesn't fit my aging rule for the show. Maybe only the folks who were brought over from Regina's curse don't age? Emma, Bae, and August came to our world by diffrent means. That would also probably mean that Hook would age as well

Regina said in the first or second episode that she got Henry when he was 3 weeks old.

Regina said in the first or second episode that she got Henry when he was 3 weeks old.

That's what I thought - that she got him as a baby. So I always just assumed if you weren't part of the original curse that brought them to Storybrooke, you aged.

I'm not sure if pezheadmeg was questioning why Henry aged while no one else did, but rather how no one else seemed to notice that he was aging. All a part of the curse, I guess.

I have to wonder if Emma never showed up, how long Regina thought that she could keep telling Henry that he's imagining things about the curse.

"Well mom, I'm 30 now and you still look exactly the same as you did the day I was born, and so does everyone else. The kids I went to elementary school with are still in the same grade."

"Oh Henry, you and your silly fairy tale fantasies! When are you ever going to give that up?! Everything is perfectly normal!"

That's a good point. How is possible that only Henry aged and it didn't seem weird to anyone else? Henry finishes kindergarten and moves on to grade one but everyone stays behind except him? Grade 2, grade 3 etc. he had to have noticed none of the other kids were growing and moving forward. He would have had to make all new friends every year in class. Wonder how they're going to explain that one?

That's a good point. How is possible that only Henry aged and it didn't seem weird to anyone else? Henry finishes kindergarten and moves on to grade one but everyone stays behind except him? Grade 2, grade 3 etc. he had to have noticed none of the other kids were growing and moving forward. He would have had to make all new friends every year in class. Wonder how they're going to explain that one?

As for the cursed people in Storybrooke, I assumed that they didn't remember the past (in Storybrooke as well is FL,) or else they would notice that everyday the did the same thing. So, everyday they wake up exactly the same with no memory of yesterday. So when Henry is 4 he is just a 4 year old in town like all the other 4 year olds. When he is 8 he is just another 8 year old in town. They have no memory or knowledge of when he was 4. They don't know he is aging. They only know what they encounter that day.

I do wonder how Regina explained it to Henry though. Everyday in school the teacher would start teaching him the same thing. He could ask questions and force the discussion into something new, but it would always start the same.

Henry wasn't cursed. He wasn't affected by the curse because he wasn't there when it was cast. He aged normally. Like most kids, he probably just accepted it as normal because that's all he knew. Until finally he reached an age where he questioned the status quo. Then Regina responded by telling the poor kid he was crazy and started sending him to Dr. Hopper for psychiatric help. Of course, he didn't accept that and started digging. At some point Mary Margaret gave him the book (where the heck did THAT come from?!) and he started putting it all together. That's when he started looking for Emma and, luckily, found her!

wehavesix said:
Henry wasn't cursed. He wasn't affected by the curse because he wasn't there when it was cast. He aged normally. Like most kids, he probably just accepted it as normal because that's all he knew. Until finally he reached an age where he questioned the status quo. Then Regina responded by telling the poor kid he was crazy and started sending him to Dr. Hopper for psychiatric help. Of course, he didn't accept that and started digging. At some point Mary Margaret gave him the book (where the heck did THAT come from?!) and he started putting it all together. That's when he started looking for Emma and, luckily, found her!

You're probably right. Explains why he never believed anything she said.

I'm gonna guess that since the curse was 28 years and Henry is only 10 Regina had 18 years to figure out gold was lying and make some kind of alteration in the curse that would make her powerful but let people remember Henry when he got there but not question why the kids never graduated to the next year in school

Prob around grade 1 he would wonder why he was moving up but his classmates didn't

And then the book and jimminy cricket comes into it

All I can say is WOW...looking forward to hearing everyone's theories after seeing tonight's show.

OMG...did you guys see that preview? Robin Hood! He's hot.

What a show tonight. Tamara is still a mystery. Nothing is Random or unrelated on this show ...is it? Where do you guys think the dragon is from? There are a few different dragons in stories. Maybe there will be a Mulan connection.

Damn they didn't show a preview after the early show tonight...should have watched at 8. I'll have to see if I can find it on-line.

The whole Tamara/Owen thing was definitely an interesting twist.

Did a search to make some connections and came up with Gregor Mendel who is a scientist considered the father of genetics. Tamara seemed to be connected to science from what the Dragon said to her. Anybody else have anything to add to make sense of who they are?

Edited to add- a search for Tamara brought up the goddess of rivers and streams and Tamora was an ambitious and vengeful character in Titus Andronicus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter