one more week and I start packing - when do you start?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who does a test pack. My husband thinks I am nuts (which is probably true, but . . . .) We are cruising in a month (Sept 13 Magic). I've had a packing list for months, MIL pointed me to these boards recently for all the tips you guys provide (which are great BTW), and I have just started assembling some of the stuff to pack. I did a test pack a few nights ago, and I think I am about ready.

Someone mentioned not overpacking your bag in case you are picked for hand screening. "Packing cubes" are a great solution. A friend who travels a lot for business turned me onto them, and I have to say I love them. They keep all your stuff organized, but still visible in case you are screened. Check eBags for theirs ---- they are cheaper than any others I could find. And always check Dealwalk.com for coupons -- there are usually some good ones. Another alternative are those space bag things -- but for some reason mine always leak air so do absolutely nothing in terms of compressing stuff.

I would start packing now (8 weeks early) except I don't have room to put our suitcases yet. :rolleyes: Most likely it will probably be in a few weeks and/or when it starts getting cooler and the kids won't be wearing their summer clothes anymore. BTW, I have to pack for 5, so I need to start now.:smooth:

Holy Moly, I go cruising in November and I haven't even BEGUN to THINK about packing. Though I have been thinking about trying on some of my dressier dresses to make sure they still fit and if they don't I need to up my exercise. :o But other than that....hmmmm I live less than an hour from the port, I'll be packing the night before or even that morning. lol. DH will be ready the week before though. :rolleyes:

I have been putting things in one "spot" for my Sept. 20 cruise since July. Items like disposable cameras, new laundry bag, gum, trans dermal patches, that we take new each time we cruise. Then I just scoop them all up the night before I leave and plop them in the suitcase.

Those that pack at the last min are not going to want to hear this. I started packing 1/21/03 for my 2/21/04 trip. My summer clothes for the cruise will be put aside during fall cleaning so I can wash them and pack them sometime in Janurary. Then the night before I go I open the suitcases and take out two-three outfits for each of us to lighten the load.

Good Lord!! Packing the day before you leave?!? *faints*

I have a Cruise Box that stuff goes into year-round, some stuff just stays in the suitcases until the next cruise (snorkel gear, trial size toiletries), and I could pretty much go sit at the airport and wait for the flight about 2 months out, usually. :) Well, except for daily-use, have-to-wait-until-the-last-minute items. I update my packing list all year -- just did this morning, in fact LOL -- and it's color-coded to show what I have, what I need, and what I need to check on. Later on, it gets color-coded to show what goes in which suitcase.

And packing light? No way.... I'm going on a cruise -- not backpacking across Europe. I like to have everything I need with me to make me happy and well-dressed. :)

merrily neurotic when it comes to cruise planning and packing,
-gina-

Ok...So just call us "Neurotic Nuts," I don't care! There's no "shame-in-my-game!":D I have 2 gallon zip lock baggies that I put everything I think of at the time that I want to take. I have my sea-band,cameras, ear plugs for the flight, dollar-store rain ponchos(you have no idea how many people wanted to buy our ponchos the last time we were in St. Maarteen) Leave 9/6- started gathering stuff in March. Put my dress shoes/stockings etc. in suitcase. Things I won't need before then. By the way... that's "MS. NEUROTIC" to you:D :D Have some respect!:teeth: :teeth:

Yeppers I am a "Neurotic Nut" - I don't think that buying underwater cameras, film, sunblock,over the door shoe holder, snorkel stuff, etc.. is over packing. If you have a little extra spending money at the end of the week, whats the harm in picking up these things ahead of time? To me it sure beats buying it all in one shot. By the time it's time to go on the cruise I will have already gotten all the little necessities. Its not like I'm packin all of my clothes already.. Even though I sure would like to.:p

PenskeSth1... You are exactly right. when you buy as you go along, there is less chance of forgetting the little things. No excess spending the closer it gets to cruise time. Now I am getting my summer discounts and putting in my baggies, ie.. sunblock, goggles for DGS, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter