One week in California... including Disneyland?

Princesca

<3 Pink sugar heart attack! <3
We are talking about a family vacation (six adults, four kids ranging from 3-7 years old) over Christmas 2024. It looks like, due to circumstances, it's going to be in California. I've been to Cali several times, and don't have a pressing desire to go again right now when I'd rather go to WDW or on a DCL cruise, but having Disneyland and Universal there as possibilities is keeping my spirits up.

That said, it's going to be over Christmas, so I know we can expect crazy crowds. We do qualify for DAS Pass, so that might help at Disneyland, but I'm still nervous. The kids won't be old enough to be amused by sightseeing in the LA area, so is this location a terrible idea? If we basically spend most of the week at DL and Universal, is that enough to keep us amused without killing us with crowds? Should we look elsewhere in California? The people who decided this destination are "not beach people" so I'm not really sure what they want to do in California otherwise.

If we do this trip and spend most of the week at the theme parks, is there a better place to stay? We aren't sure at this point whether we will rent cars or Uber, and have no idea where to stay that would make the most logistical sense, given that we'd probably spend two days at DL and two at Universal. It feels a little overwhelming to coordinate.

Last edited:
If you do this, I personally would split the hotel time between DL and Universal. Southern California traffic is brutal and you're probably looking at 3 hours in the car round trip to commute between.

Have the people in your group who decided on California given input on why they want CA/what they want to do?

If you do this, I personally would split the hotel time between DL and Universal. Southern California traffic is brutal and you're probably looking at 3 hours in the car round trip to commute between.

Have the people in your group who decided on California given input on why they want CA/what they want to do?
Agree with this. While it looks like the two parks are not that far apart, you're looking at a minimum of an hour drive between the two if traffic isn't terrible. I would say spend 3-4 days at DLR and 1-2 at Universal. You can also add in a Warner Bros Studio Tour if your kids like Harry Potter or DC movies. It's a great tour. Last time we went to LA we just did a weekend trip to Universal Hollywood and WB Studio Tour. We did both over 2 days and felt we got our money's worth.

For Universal, I would definitely recommend either the Hilton Studio City or the Sheraton that's right there. That way you can just walk up the hill to the parks and not rely on any transportation to get you there. They do offer a shuttle that can take you to Citywalk. You're close to Santa Monica if you want to see the beach or the pier. You're not too far from the Griffith Observatory and the Hollywood sign. You can do the Walk of Fame or go see Grauman's Chinese Theater. The LA Zoo is close by. There's a ton to do in that area.

For DLR, you've got so many options either onsite or offsite. You could get an AirBnb close by in the neighborhood around the parks. We don't stay onsite due to the cost never quite being right but there's hotels literally an under 10 minute walk to the security area. It's so much easier than the undertaking it is at WDW to get to the parks. We always work in a swimming break every day since it's incredibly easy to leave and get right to the pool. I really like the Courtyard Marriott Theme Park entrance. It has great rooms with two queen beds, bunk beds for two kids, and a bathroom with a shower and separate tub shower separated by a door so you can have two people getting ready at the same time. We are planning to stay at the Disneyland Hotel next time as we'd like to do it at least once.

You can always rent a car at one of the hotels and take a day trip to the beach or other areas around Anaheim. You can also fly into Orange County Airport and you're at DLR in about 20 minutes. If you don't want to rent a car, you don't have to. I prefer not doing that. You can always Uber to your next hotel up by Universal. There's not a ton around the Anaheim area and you're not close to much else so you'd have to go a bit to get to a place like Long Beach or San Clemente to explore. I would go into that portion with the thought that you're staying in that area but you have Downtown Disney and two parks within walking distance. You can also go to Knott's Berry Farm if you need another theme park.

As far as crowds, we went over Christmas back in 2018 and it was fine. I don't feel like we had any less of a typical great experience than we do when we go at less busy times like early June. Just go in knowing it's going to be crowded but DLR is amazing at Christmas time with the decorations and Nightmare Before Christmas overlay. I always wanted to wake up on Christmas morning and go to Disneyland so that was a fun treat for us and the kids. I'd argue October is busier.

Just commit yourselves to getting up for Rope Drop and you can get so much accomplished before the crowd crush arrives around 11am. If you stay onsite, you'll get an extra 30 minutes each morning. I think Genie+ at DLR is 1000X better than WDW because there's just not as many people using it since it's a locals park. With DAS, you should be in good shape.

I wouldn't fret. You'll have a great time.

Not sure if you've been before but this is a great resource I always share with 1st timers.

https://disneylanddaily.com/a-first-timers-guide-to-disneyland/

Last edited:

No, all they said was that they picked it in part because my BIL has severe dietary restrictions that he felt were well catered to in California cuisine and they aren't "beach people" so I don't really know how they want to spend their time. They're currently taking a little more time to making sure they want to commit to a family vacation, but once they say yes, I'm planning to ask everyone what they want to get out of California.

Agree with this. While it looks like the two parks are not that far apart, you're looking at a minimum of an hour drive between the two if traffic isn't terrible. I would say spend 3-4 days at DLR and 1-2 at Universal. You can also add in a Warner Bros Studio Tour if your kids like Harry Potter or DC movies. It's a great tour. Last time we went to LA we just did a weekend trip to Universal Hollywood and WB Studio Tour. We did both over 2 days and felt we got our money's worth.

Thank you so much for all of this amazing advice!!! I really appreciate all the detail.

With kids 3-7, don't even bother with Universal. There is not enough for that age group at all.

I'd consider Anaheim and San Diego split. San Diego has a LOT for young kids (Legoland, Sea World, the zoo and safari park). I'd increase the Disneyland time to 3-4 days, and then do San Diego.

You can also take a DCL cruise out of San Diego to Mexico. They do 3-7 night sailings in the winter months.

For Universal, I would definitely recommend either the Hilton Studio City or the Sheraton that's right there. That way you can just walk up the hill to the parks and not rely on any transportation to get you there. They do offer a shuttle that can take you to Citywalk. You're close to Santa Monica if you want to see the beach or the pier. You're not too far from the Griffith Observatory and the Hollywood sign. You can do the Walk of Fame or go see Grauman's Chinese Theater. The LA Zoo is close by. There's a ton to do in that area.
And Grauman's is across the street from Disney's own El Capitan Theatre, a beautifully restored 1926 movie house with a Wurlitzer organ. The adjacent soda fountain and store feature Ghirardelli sundaes and Disney merchandise. Well worth a visit for those sightseeing around Hollywood.

We are talking about a family vacation (six adults, four kids ranging from 3-7 years old) over Christmas 2024. It looks like, due to circumstances, it's going to be in California. I've been to Cali several times, and don't have a pressing desire to go again right now when I'd rather go to WDW or on a DCL cruise, but having Disneyland and Universal there as possibilities is keeping my spirits up.

That said, it's going to be over Christmas, so I know we can expect crazy crowds. We do qualify for DAS Pass, so that might help at Disneyland, but I'm still nervous. The kids won't be old enough to be amused by sightseeing in the LA area, so is this location a terrible idea? If we basically spend most of the week at DL and Universal, is that enough to keep us amused without killing us with crowds? Should we look elsewhere in California? The people who decided this destination are "not beach people" so I'm not really sure what they want to do in California otherwise.

If we do this trip and spend most of the week at the theme parks, is there a better place to stay? We aren't sure at this point whether we will rent cars or Uber, and have no idea where to stay that would make the most logistical sense, given that we'd probably spend two days at DL and two at Universal. It feels a little overwhelming to coordinate.

Knotts Berry Farm is 6 miles away in Buena Park. They have Camp Snoopy for little kids. I would suggest a day or two to take your time. If you have a Cedar Faire amusement park close to your home, I would suggest getting an AP and use it at Knotts. Like another poster said, pack plenty of patience.

At Disneyland, Toon Town has been renovated and it is pretty nice. Remember to keep the kids on their schedule of napping, sleeping, meal time. It does make for a smoother trip.

Happy planning.

If your Kids are into Mario then Universal can still be fun but there are only a handful of attractions for kids.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter