Ontarians

We've flown out of Pearson twice (no problems), Detroit once-12 hour delay, and driven about 8 times. I-75 has never been a problem. First time we took 3 days stopping along the way in Ohio, Georgia and 1 hour north of Orlanda (sick DS) but now we leave Friday at 5pm and drive straight through to arrive about 3pm Saturday, have an early night and hit the parks early Saturday. Flights are way too expensive with 4 of us and we'd still need a car down there to do Universal. We pack the van with food to save money down there and take a cooler full of sandwiches and drinks for the drive. Never used Dave Hunters book 'cos we only stop for gas but it sounds like a great buy if you have young kids and need to stop. I forgot our best trip down was flying out of London, 15 minutes from our house and real small time airport so no lineups. But they don't do these flights anymore.
Tony and Debbie

We drive and only have 2 drivers we leave from London after dinner time that way the kids can sleep for most of the drive they usually wake up for breakfast at the Georgia welcome centre.

Air Canada is having a seat sale today-just booked a great fare out of Pearson to Orlando non-stop for May.

I've been checking rates for about 6 months and
saved about $200 each. (4 adults).

We have flown out of Pearson 3 times and we once drove down with our tent trailer and stayed for 10 days at Fort Wilderness. That was the best and most relaxing vacation at Disneyworld. We would do that again in a heartbeat.

We live in London, and we always drive. We leave in the morning on the Friday (somewhere between 5 and 8:30AM depending on what time dh gets home from work that morning). I do a good chunk of the driving that day while he gets some sleep. Our goal is to get to northern Tennessee, but depending on the time we get away, weather, demeanor of our children, we have even gotten as far as south of Atlanta the first day (stopping around 10:30 that first night). We then drive to WDW the next day, and depending on all of the above again, we have arrived anywhere between 3PM and 9PM. With 2 small children, we like to take a lot with us (including lots of food/snacks/drinks) so I cannot even imagine flying. We're taking an extra child with us this time so it means being a little more careful in the way we pack the van since we will have the extra seat in. My kids are 2 and 5 and we learned 2 trips ago that a small TV with Scooby-Doo and Disney videos is the premium way to travel (LOL). It's a more enjoyable trip when there isn't any snow to contend with on the way down, however you just take it a little slower and don't worry about when you'll arrive. I've had some super rates with my AP so checking into WDW late in the evening doesn't bother me if we're staying at AS or a mod. Both dh and I could drive I-75 with our eyes closed so we know where to stop for gas, rest areas, etc.

Mary Liz

We flew out of Syracuse. We live in Kingston. This summer I got a deal with Northwest. 98.00 American dollars round trip pr. person. It came out to 156.00 Canadian each! It was a great deal. Syracuse is usually cheaper than Ottawa. No way would I consider driving all the way to Toronto to fly down to Orlando. I don't care for getting back tired from the trip and then having to drive all the way back to Kingston.

If anyone else lives in our area there is a great shuttle service to both Syracuse airport and Ottawa. With the good deal we got on our flights we were able to hire this service to drive us. It was great!

Ruth

Just back from 1st time. DH drove 400 to 401 to Windsor/Detroit I-75 along with Dave Hunter's GREAT "Along the I-75" book. Left Christmas afternoon. Picked up the Welcome Center coupon books for each state (needed washroom breaks anyway). Overnights in Findlay, OH (an OK Motel 8) and Forsyth, GA (OK Days Inn) with continental breakfasts. On way back (Friday) DH got us from Cocoa Beach mid-day to an AWFUL HoJos at Cartersville, GA (North of Atlanta) then straight home (1 hr north of Toronto) for 2am this morning.

To our surprise we found out our 4 kids (ages 5 to 13) were better travelers in the van than than they were in the parks (lots more bickering than we would have liked, but looking back was still a great time for all). We didn't use half the toys/books we brought for the road. Barely touched the GameBoys, electronic kiddie laptop, etc. nor used the books on tape. Definitely didn't need the TV/VCR we almost bought then almost borrowed. No room in car at end of packing --- food was a better choice. I-75 book & new Christmas sticker books, some keychain games handed along way (supposed to amuse in line-ups too, but didn't need as was so much to look at anyway in the few line-ups we had to endure). 1 very popular item the kids shared was their new for Christmas Math Twist game from their Uncle. That was played & the GameBoys weren't!

VERY easy trip. Of course, I wasn't the driver so we'll have to get his opinion later.

Oh, dry, clear roads through Ontario Christmas Day and all way down. Wee bit of rain on way home in Florida. No snow on way back on ground until Windsor. Roads were fine & dry. Worst was our final half hour near home -- blowing snow and lots of it around on ground.

Hmmm we may just have to go again! Fantastic trip with so much left that we didn't get done...

I am really surprised at how many people drive. I would love to go that way, but dh (he doesn't trust my driving) would be the only driver. He is not interested. He wants to relax on his holiday. I don't blame him. It is very expensive to fly. Air Canada is having a seat sale, but it is only up until March 5th from here to Orlando. We are not near any US airports so we pretty much have to take Air Canada with a change of planes in Toronto. There is one other option, Zoom airlines. But they only have one plane and they just started this airline on December 17, 2002. I am a nervous flier as is is so I am not to keen on flying with them. Would you feel comfortably flying on an airline that was that small and that new?:eek:

ddawg-have you tried air canada with your
dates?
We are going end of April -beginning of May
and I saved almost $200 per person from
Pearson to Orlando last week (I've been watching
rates for about 6 months). Great seat sale.

We drive from London at about 6:30 in the evening with 2 kids one was 5 and the other 8 months on our last trip and they ate dinner and then we left they slept all the way to Georgia. Then we stopped for Breakfast at the GA welcome centre and then drove to Macon and stopped at the rest stop there for lunch and got into Valdosta at 3 that afternoon and stopped there for the night. We left Valdosta at 9 AM the next morning and stopped at the Fla welcome centre then we were at WDW by about 3 in the afternoon.

I was checkin' out the sale and it was coming up with seats for $500 for the dates in May that I want. I'm holding out and hoping that the tickets come down in price.

mom_rules:

That is what I am afraid of. I think the seat sale is on in Toronto, but not here. So if I wait for seats to go on sale here, the Toronto- Orlando segment will be sold out. The price for a seat now , for dates I want to travel are $1000.00 a person. I think that is still very high compared to other years, around $500.00- $550.00 a person. The longer I wait the higher the rate is getting. It was $700.00 two days ago.:(

When we were still planning our trip for Feb. I had thought about flying out of Syracuse, however I wasn't aware of a shuttle service to the airport. Ruthanne, could you tell me the name of the company you used and the cost? I live in Ottawa, so maybe it would be an option for us when we finally make the trip ( tentatively planning for next winter). Thanks

As we usually go 2-3 times a year...it really depends on airfare prices!! We just got back on January 2nd and we drove this time, leaving on December 21st. Fares were just too high....and yes, mostly taxes!

But having said that...the drive is fun going...and kind of long coming home!!

Haven't tried Buffalo yet, but would in a heartbeat! Maybe that's next:D

Ruthanne,

I'm curious about the shuttle that you take also.

We flew directly out of Pearson the 1st time using points. Since my parents live only 5min. away from the airport it turned out to be a visit and convenient to leave our car in their driveway.

2nd time flew out of Ottawa, using points again.

Last fall, drove down to Syracuse and flew out of there. Stayed at the Best Western at the airport for the park n'fly rate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter