Opening week reports at Vero & HHI?

]

Thanks for the info @aje131. We are headed to HH July 5th. Looking forward to the beach and getting out and about a bit. Very much appreciate your mask sentiment. Our almost 20 yr old ds is asthmatic, so its masks all the way around for us. My dh and I have already discussed possibly limiting our meals out do take out, and enjoy sitting on our villa deck. Enjoy your stay!!
We don’t have any immunocompromised in our immediate family, but something as easy as a mask and such a minor personal inconvenience is worth it for everyone.

I live in SC and am disappointed by the lack of mask wearing overall, but have felt we could steer clear of those non-wearers while out in HHI. We have eaten outside and servers at Bistro 17, Sea Grass Grille, and Santa Fe Cafe are wearing masks. They are not at Poseidon so we did not eat there.
Thank you for this information. Very helpful.

We don’t have any immunocompromised in our immediate family, but something as easy as a mask and such a minor personal inconvenience is worth it for everyone.
It wasn’t bad all week because the temps were cooler. Today was unbearable. It was crazy humid this morning. I was dripping in sweat in 5 min. Being as the resort is mostly all outside I would only wear it when I saw someone.

Our state is asking that you be courteous and wear a mask to help slow the spread of Coronavirus.

Our county tried that and found that there weren't too many "courteous" people, so as of last week it's a law, or face a $2000 fine.
Also, for anyone at HHI now, be aware that one of the golfers at the RBC Heritage tested positive for Covid 19 this morning, Nick Whatney I think, and had to withdraw.

The mugs are available for purchase for a souvenir but the dispensing machines are turned off. So you can get a really pricey plastic cup!
Thank you. We have enough “mugs” at home. Suppose there is no coffee in lobby by check in either?

He also says he stays in a private house with a private chef. Not sure many other people can afford to do that. I was there all week. It was busy, it was actually nice to see people out an about and living their lives.

Restaurants did a great job with outdoor seating and distancing tables. I never felt unsafe.

I thought the same thing about the private chef. Kind of made me wonder how he knows about everything being a “zoo” since he sounds like he’s isolating.

We aren’t going until October 31st. I can easily socially distance on the beach, and we mostly eat in the room anyway. I’m not expecting any problems.

Our state is asking that you be courteous and wear a mask to help slow the spread of Coronavirus.

we are also WV and most people wear masks inside stores. We are on the border of MD and VA. My husband has a mask in every vehicle and has grown accustom to wearing it anytime he goes inside any store, bank, PO. He knows why he wears it, so has no problem protecting everyone he comes into contact with. If I can get this grumpy 70 year old man to do this any one can.....lol.....

I am going to HHI in a week.

Because of the "we don't wear mask" tourism mentality I will not be eating out etc... I am being responsible and wearing a mask to protect others, but it appears that on HHI that kind of responsibility is incredibly rare. So if you are planning a vacation there you might realize that once you leave the DVC bubble all bets are off!

First of all let me say that I 'love' your actions. Other than staying home completely and obsessively sanitizing and washing hands, masks seem to be one of the very few things we can do to potentially help others avoid this virus.

That said, Beaufort county up to now has had 857 cases and 15 deaths.
The county I live in has had approximately 18000 cases and close to 700 deaths. Everybody wears a mask here. We fear the virus.

We are heavily populated and Beaufort county is not. So, there is a certain sense of 'it's not really happening here' going on. And people seek out places where they don't have to/can maybe get away with not doing what some of us think will help.

I was in Hilton Head at the Disney Resort when it was closed down in March. I left Maryland amid a lot of concern from family about traveling. Costco was a 2 hour line and all the toilet paper was gone. I packed all our food in coolers 'just in case'. Got to Hilton Head and there was calm. But by the end of the week stores were selling out and people were getting more apprehensive, but none of us were wearing masks at that point.

My departure was a different mood than my arrival. After a couple of days they took the cookies, coffee and lemonade out of the check in area. Directions from Disney heads somewhere. A college program cast member was talking to me one day saying how wonderful it was being there. The next day she had been told to go home to California - a hotspot at the time. My heart melted for her.
We cooked most of our meals except what we bought at Tide Me Over and the Beach House.

I did go shopping at Publix and Kroger and bought some items I knew I couldn't easily get at home - yeast was one of the items.

Anyway, I was already in alert mode, but the island was on island time. I think cooking in will definitely limit possible exposure. But, I wouldn't be averse to doing takeout from the HHI restaurants. I'm not yet ready for sit down dining.

But I would go back to Hilton Head in a minute, wear a mask around the resort, go to the beach in the very early morning mask on unless no one was there.

Enjoy your visit and stay clear of, well you know....

Our county tried that and found that there weren't too many "courteous" people, so as of last week it's a law, or face a $2000 fine.
Also, for anyone at HHI now, be aware that one of the golfers at the RBC Heritage tested positive for Covid 19 this morning, Nick Whatney I think, and had to withdraw.
The WHO does not recommend healthy people wear masks, unless they are treating people infected with COVID 19, but the CDC does. Which one do you listen to. They both have valid points and studies go both ways. https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox6no...when-taking-care-of-coronavirus-patients/amp/. I’m not say don’t wear a mask, I wear one where it is required.

The WHO does not recommend healthy people wear masks, unless they are treating people infected with COVID 19, but the CDC does. Which one do you listen to. They both have valid points and studies go both ways. https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox6no...when-taking-care-of-coronavirus-patients/amp/. I’m not say don’t wear a mask, I wear one where it is required.

Although Fox 5 posted that article in late May, the WHO info in the article is from back in March. The actual WHO website has been updated. They now have a video with instructions on how to wear a non medical cloth mask correctly.

It was confusing when what we expect to be trusted sources come out with conflicting information. But the message seems now to be that the cloth mask doesn't protect the cloth mask wearer from the virus and that is consistent. But, the cloth mask wearer, if possibly infected or asymptomatic, by wearing a mask can give some protection to people around them.

I also wear one where required. To me it's a matter of respect - if I get infected and don't yet know it, if my wearing a mask saves someone else from becoming infected, a cloth mask around others is a small price to pay to possibly save a life.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter