Opinions after having sailed first few Australian Disney cruises

AussieNSW

Mouseketeer
We have recently returned from the first Australian Disney cruise from Sydney to Hobart and I was wondering what others opinions were of them especially if you have cruised with Disney before. I was expecting to be wowed but although I enjoyed it I wasn’t. Trying to decide why that was. The thing I can mostly go back to was how rough it was and how that made some of the family so sick that they had to have an injection. The baby and 4 year old got really sick. Personally even with medication I felt unwell. Going forward for the money spent and the experience I don’t think our family would sail to Tasmania or try sailing to New Zealand again. I know we might have just been unlucky but my vision of spending days on deck enjoying it and swimming and having fun outdoors like other Disney cruises didn’t happen and we have done an Alaskan cruise and the weather was better.
We have another cruise in January but this time it’s going north so hopefully that will be better.

Weather is always going to be hit or miss - especially out on open ocean. No movement is never a guarantee when you're on water unless you're on a ride in a flume or on a track.

Alaska is largely the Inside Passage which is almost always smooth barring some weird weather event.

Even the Bahamas and Caribbean can be rough. And the Med. I was on a cruise where we were crossing the Med on the final night and in spite of the Captain saying in his announcement that smooth sailing was predicted, around 2am there was a pop-up storm that had waves crashing over the bow (I had a forward-facing cabin and looked out and saw it).

From what I understand, the area where the Wonder was sailing is notoriously NOT smooth. Short of completely changing the itinerary, there is not a lot that can be done. You're in nature - and nature happens.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but I'm always amazed at people who cruise on the ocean and are surprised when the ship moves.

I also previously learned that the Bass Strait can get rocky which I’m preparing for with my cruise in Feb. Though I was surprised that people on the cruises didn’t expect it would be cold out at sea lol I don’t know if they were expecting warm weather or what, it’s fair to think that for Aus northbound cruises perhaps but not southbound, so that was funny to read.

Looking forward to reading other people’s reviews here!

I agree that it is no fun at all when sea is rough. I remember when we cruised in the Med sailing from Dover to Spain (through Bay of Biscay) weather was so bad that we all got sick. We couldn´t enjoy even Mickey and MInnie were together with us. We decided never to take that route again ever.
I was looking forward to try the Aussie cruise one day but now I am having second thought.

I loved every moment of it. I'm lucky in that I don't get sea sick, and I actually found the rough day to be a lot of fun 😂 watching waves crash over the port holes on deck 3 was amazing.

I actually loved the whole thing so much that I'm trying to work out how I can afford to get back on before they head back to Hawaii in February. I did book a placeholder, but I was planning on using that for a 2025 Alaskan cruise. Naturally if I can raise the money to get back on again this season I'll use my placeholder and then buy another one when I'm on board again.

It was fricken freezing up on the deck for the 10:30pm deck shows. It was worth it to be up there watching them, but even cast members that we talked to said it was colder than what they experience in Alaska 😅

So glad to hear you enjoyed it! And I’m jealous you don’t get sea sick, the reports from the first cruise sounded bleak for me hahaha

What was your favourite restaurant? Some people were complaining about the food on Facebook though I’m hoping it might just be teething issues from the first few sailings

I loved every moment of it. I'm lucky in that I don't get sea sick, and I actually found the rough day to be a lot of fun 😂 watching waves crash over the port holes on deck 3 was amazing.

I actually loved the whole thing so much that I'm trying to work out how I can afford to get back on before they head back to Hawaii in February. I did book a placeholder, but I was planning on using that for a 2025 Alaskan cruise. Naturally if I can raise the money to get back on again this season I'll use my placeholder and then buy another one when I'm on board again.

It was fricken freezing up on the deck for the 10:30pm deck shows. It was worth it to be up there watching them, but even cast members that we talked to said it was colder than what they experience in Alaska 😅

Are we talking Australian freezing or Canadian freezing? Because I forgot my light jacket and didn’t think to bring a hoodie because it didn’t really occur to me that the Ditch would be cold. Or should I head down to Kathmandu and fork over some money for a jacket ?

Are we talking Australian freezing or Canadian freezing? Because I forgot my light jacket and didn’t think to bring a hoodie because it didn’t really occur to me that the Ditch would be cold. Or should I head down to Kathmandu and fork over some money for a jacket ?
I had on a heavier winter jacket. After the first night, people were bringing the blankets from their rooms to wrap around themselves and crew were handing out blankets and towels. Many people were in beanies too.

I had on a heavier winter jacket. After the first night, people were bringing the blankets from their rooms to wrap around themselves and crew were handing out blankets and towels. Many people were in beanies too.

You mean toques right? 🤣

I really hate the idea of forking over money for something I have sitting at home. But I also don’t want to be a popsicle either. Currently in Christchurch. Wide selection of outdoor gear stores. All at ridiculous prices compared to home. Maybe Melbourne is more reasonable?

We have recently returned from the first Australian Disney cruise from Sydney to Hobart and I was wondering what others opinions were of them especially if you have cruised with Disney before. I was expecting to be wowed but although I enjoyed it I wasn’t. Trying to decide why that was. The thing I can mostly go back to was how rough it was and how that made some of the family so sick that they had to have an injection. The baby and 4 year old got really sick. Personally even with medication I felt unwell. Going forward for the money spent and the experience I don’t think our family would sail to Tasmania or try sailing to New Zealand again. I know we might have just been unlucky but my vision of spending days on deck enjoying it and swimming and having fun outdoors like other Disney cruises didn’t happen and we have done an Alaskan cruise and the weather was better.
We have another cruise in January but this time it’s going north so hopefully that will be better.
We did not get sea sick at all during the sailing (perhaps we were on the same sailing, the first cruise out of Sydney) We felt the same as you. We have always been a big supporter of DCL and raved about it to friends and family. While we enjoyed ourselves during this last cruise, we didn't love it. A few reasons I think we felt this way were:

Food Limitations - Due to allergies, we found the food options very limiting. In the MDRs, they weren't willing to adjust many meals or offer any alternatives. We were given pasta without sauce, salad never had any dressing - it was just dry. Despite ordering the night before, our meals frequently took 90 minutes to complete and due to deck parties every night, we were often racing to get a good spot. Room Service refused to offer us anything after 11pm as the 'allergy chef' finished before this. It was frustrating and we often found ourselves quite hungry. This is quite different to the previous sailings we have been on as the Chef, Servers and Head Server had always been willing to work with us.

Characters - We are huge on character meet and greets. If a character is meeting, we are likely meeting them on board. We would often go from character to character to character. Due to the significant wait times for characters (anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours), that made it impossible on this cruise. The characters is one of the main reasons we adore the cruises but one day we spent around 4 hours in line to for 3 character meet and greets (Princess Gathering, Spiderman and Goofy) . It was just too long even for us to justify. Also due to the deck parties, characters usually had their last meet and greet set by 7:30pm, compared to the other ships where they often meet until 10:15pm

Deck Parties/Evening Entertainment - We really hated the nightly deck parties. Not only were they creating a 'rush' from the dinner to the deck party, it also meant the adult nightly entertainment couldn't start until much later. On other ships, we have had the adult activities start by 10:30pm, whereas on this cruise most nights it wouldn't start until 11:30pm. The clubs were often quite empty after the deck parties as many people simply went back to their cabins with the kids after the parties had ended.

No 'down time' - While we were choosing to participate in various activities while on board, we felt there was very little 'down time'. Between the endless long lines for the characters, nightly deck parties, dinner which always took overly long (we had never had dinner take longer then 45 minutes to an hour before), it felt there wasn't much time to simply relax on board. You constantly felt like you had to 'be somewhere else'.

The cruise was very different compared to DCL overseas and while we had a good time, we were left overly disappointed compared to how experience in the past. We are going again in February and we hope things have been improved by then.

You mean toques right? 🤣

I really hate the idea of forking over money for something I have sitting at home. But I also don’t want to be a popsicle either. Currently in Christchurch. Wide selection of outdoor gear stores. All at ridiculous prices compared to home. Maybe Melbourne is more reasonable?
I was very grateful I still had the winter jackets in the car. I had always taken them out and had packed for warm weather. It was very cold on the ship, even before we had left Sydney.

You mean toques right? 🤣

If you really need to buy one I’d recommend Uniqlo’s jackets, much less expensive but does the job in keeping people warm :)

If you really need to buy one I’d recommend Uniqlo’s jackets, much less expensive but does the job in keeping people warm :)
There were very few Uniqlo jackets in store when we went to the city store last Thursday. They now have mostly summer stock.

There were very few Uniqlo jackets in store when we went to the city store last Thursday. They now have mostly summer stock.
The ultra light down range is one of their core items they generally keep stock of throughout the year, depending on the store and the range isn’t as wide, otherwise the online store is an option :) I used to work at uniqlo but never took advantage of the discounts as much as I should have!

Sorry to hear your family had a rough time on the first sailing in Australia, those seas on the Bass Strait can be rough. Hope the cruise in January is easier for you all. I am sailing on the first two out of Brisbane and have my parents in tow - our previous sailings have just been my daughter and I, so hope it lives up to the hype for my parents.

Also for those of you that have sailed already and are Castaway Club members, can anyone tell me what the current Silver Castaway Club gift is please. Really hoping it is not another Sling backpack! Looking forward to a tote bag, fingers crossed - that I will use.

Also for those of you that have sailed already and are Castaway Club members, can anyone tell me what the current Silver Castaway Club gift is please. Really hoping it is not another Sling backpack! Looking forward to a tote bag, fingers crossed - that I will use.
A few people have reported that they got the sling backpack and old silver lanyard, not the new ones I’m afraid

Last edited:
Unfortunately it is the Sling bag. For the Australian sailings, they have gone back to the old gifts. We were told that the new gifts were only for the anniversary (which we knew wasn't true) but they're still giving out the old gifts

Unfortunately it is the Sling bag. For the Australian sailings, they have gone back to the old gifts. We were told that the new gifts were only for the anniversary (which we knew wasn't true) but they're still giving out the old gifts
So disappointing and thanks for letting me know. Not really good enough considering the totes were provided during the European sailings up to recently and on the sailing from Honolulu to Sydney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter