organizing and storing important documents

We don’t have a safety deposit box. Our passports are in a basket on top of the fridge and our other important papers are in a dresser drawer.

Still not sure what the point of those Global Entry cards are to be honest.
They don't want to see them and they cant be used for entry.

From the GE site:

You need to carry your membership card only if you'll be traveling by land between the United States and Canada or Mexico. You do not need the Global Entry card for travel by air.

Edited to add:
The GE card is a REAL ID compliant ID. You could also use it as your primary form of ID to get through TSA security, buy alcohol, basically anywhere you would use a REAL ID compliant driver's license. It can not be used in situations where you need to prove residency since it does not list an address.

Last edited:
Have you thought about getting a non-driver id card?

NY offers up REAL ID compliant and Enhanced ID cards at much less than the cost to replace a lost passport.

I would imagine that the process to get a lost non-driver id card replaced is much quicker and simpler than replacing a lost passport. According to their site you can get a temporary replacement same day.
Oh well, let’s go down that bureaucratic rabbit hole again😜
Wait. Let’s not.
Longgggggg annoying story short, I hadn’t enough points to get either the city or state ID without a valid passport. So I waited until the Feds re-opened operations again.
ETA my passport wasn’t lost; it expired.

Last edited:
Anyone who is carrying around their passport - if its your actually passport - think about getting a passport card.
I misplaced my passport card within a few months of getting it 😳
Been carrying the book around for so many years it just feels normal now. Oh and I’ve never lost it 🤷🏽‍♀️

Anyone who is carrying around their passport - if its your actually passport - think about getting a passport card.
I have several family members who don't drive and I had them get the passport card.
I do have a drivers license. My passport just also lives in my purse.

The idea of carrying around a passport seems weird to me, but clearly it works for some people, so it's all good.

My mom had a non-driving driver's license. It said right on it, "Legally blind". I understand that the purpose was to distinguish that it was meant for ID, not for driving, but it did NOT instill confidence!

Oh well, let’s go down that bureaucratic rabbit hole again😜
Wait. Let’s not.
Longgggggg annoying story short, I hadn’t enough points to get either the city or state ID without a valid passport. So I waited until the Feds re-opened operations again.
ETA my passport wasn’t lost; it expired.
I understand that bureaucracy is a pain, but getting a second id while you already have one, seems way less stressful than having to get a lost passport replaced with no additional id while waiting for the replacement.

Do you often need to present your passport?

I don’t even keep my passport in my possession when traveling in foreign countries. It’s always back at the hotel/cruise ship.
If you ever go to the Alhambra bring it with you! You have to show your passport multiple times throughout the tour along with your ticket.

If you ever go to the Alhambra bring it with you! You have to show your passport multiple times throughout the tour along with your ticket.
Why?

I have been to Spain multiple times, toured lots of places, never was asked for a passport except when entering the country.

The only places I have been asked to show a passport outside of a border is checking into hotels. They ask if they can make a copy.

There have been many threads on Cruise Critic about if you should carry a passport while ashore and on other travel sites if you should carry your passport or leave it at the hotel. I am very much a leave it at the hotel or on the cruise ship.

I think there are many more ways a passport can be lost if carried than if left at the hotel.

My dad was pickpocketed in Rome, Italy. Luckily he did not have his passport on him. I was able to wire him money to complete the trip and he was able to fly home without issue because his passport had not been stolen.

On a school trip to Spain, one of the kids had her backpack stolen. Ripped off her body. She was wearing it on her front as many suggest so she could be alert to the zippers and such but it did not stop someone from ripping it off her body and taking it. She lost out on two days of the trip while one of the chaperones had to accompany the 13 year old to the US embassy and get an emergency passport issued.

I understand that bureaucracy is a pain, but getting a second id while you already have one, seems way less stressful than having to get a lost passport replaced with no additional id while waiting for the replacement.
Okay, tell the truth: are you my older sister in disguise?😂

She was sympathetic about the passport expiring but she lost it when I said I didn’t have my original social security card either. She actually sent me a pic of her’s from her wallet. The only points I won in that mental beat down was that she laminated it, hahaha.

Yes, I promise I’ll get another ID now that I have:
my passport, SS card, estate administration papers, and something else I can’t recall. Needed identification for ALL of them. Strangely enough, the IRS dinna require any ID when I paid my taxes… 😉

In my office drawer. Probably not the best option, but the only important docs I really own are my passport and birth certificate. Tax info is all digital and backed up, and I don't own any land.

She actually sent me a pic of her’s from her wallet.
:crazy2:

You should NOT keep your social security card in your wallet.

Whatever grief she gave you over the Passport, you should have returned it 10 fold over the picture of her social security card in her wallet.

Identity theft is a huge issue and having name, address, and social security card all in one place is a bad idea.

Still not sure what the point of those Global Entry cards are to be honest.
They don't want to see them and they cant be used for entry.
It gives me TSA Precheck and it provides expedited customs lines when returning from an international destination. Allegedly. Every customs location I’ve been through after getting the card has not had a GE line.

And your Social Security card looks like something you could produce on any color copy machine. Not a secure document, has no watermarks or other similar security measures. Places like your doctor's office may ask for your SS# when first becoming a patient, but I can't recall anywhere that has ever asked to SEE the actual card. If you memorize your SS#, should eliminate the need to carry it with you.

Traveling internationally makes sense to have your passport. If you don't drive, I agree with others that the local DMV can issue you a credit card sized ID for most other purposes. I don't see the need to carry your passport around within whatever country you live.

Places like your doctor's office may ask for your SS# when first becoming a patient, but I can't recall anywhere that has ever asked to SEE the actual card. If you memorize your SS#, should eliminate the need to carry it with you.
Your SS card is an identifying document under List C for the I-9 employment authorization for a job. It's used in conjunction with a document from List B which proves identity. I have a passport (List A) which satisfies both identity and employment authorization.

How does everyone organize and store important documents like passports, birth/marriage certificates, etc? Basically, anything you want to be able to grab quickly if you need to leave in an emergency.
Passport is in a fireproof safe in the house. No need for birth certificates since we have Passports. I can't imagine ever needing the marriage certificates either, so those are in the safe deposit box at the bank. While I do keep my cars a long long time.......31 years in one case......I no longer keep car titles in the safe deposit box, those are in the fireproof safe in the house in case I need them.

Another things to think about, is if you have elderly parents, is knowing where their important documents are, and if they are in a safe deposit box, making sure your heirs have access to them quickly. My mom put me on her safe deposit box when I turned 18 in 1978. I never needed access until 2013 when she passed away. My dad's Army discharge papers from 1945 were in there and I needed those to prove she had a right to be buried in a National Cemetery with him. Funny thing is, I did NOT need to provide a marriage certificate. I suspect she must have provided that when my dad died in 1967, so she has a reservation already to be buried with him.

Yes, it’s my only piece of ID ( I don’t drive) so use it domestically too.
When I’m overseas I generally travel independently so still good to have.

It expired during the pandemic and wreaked total havoc in my life.
Your state doesn't issue Identification cards for people who don't have a Driver's License?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter