Orlando Airport Security Screening last weekend - getting worse not better

Not always.
. . . if you applied/paid and were granted TSA Pre-Check, you know it.
. . . if you airline uses Pre-Check and you are elite status, you know it.
. . . so, Pre-Check should not be a surprise, yea or nay.
Sorry Rusty but this isn't correct. TSA makes it clear that even if you buy Pre-Check (or Global Entry as we have) and/or have elite status with the airline (as we also have) that you aren't guaranteed to get Pre-Check every time you fly.

Has anyone had trouble requesting an earlier pick up time for magical express? Our trip isn't until August, but I want to make sure we are there in plenty of time since we have the last flight out for the day.

I requested an earlier time and had no problem having it granted. We leave in 11 days

Sorry Rusty but this isn't correct. TSA makes it clear that even if you buy Pre-Check (or Global Entry as we have) and/or have elite status with the airline (as we also have) that you aren't guaranteed to get Pre-Check every time you fly.

1) We have NEVER not had Pre-Check in larger USA airports or Global in foreign countries (unless the country's airport did not have Global).
2) Of course, there are some airlines that do not participate in Pre-Check (like Frontier), so you don't get it.
NOTE: In what circumstances did you not get Pre-Check service? Did the airport have it? Did the airline you used participate? Thanks.

Last edited:
In what circumstances did you not get Pre-Check service? Did the airport have it? Did the airline you used participate? Thanks.
Rusty, my point was not about circumstances where Pre-Check isn't available, nor was it about an airline that didn't participate. The actual documentation of TSA's Pre-Check (or Global Entry) specifically says that you aren't guaranteed to get Pre-Check every time you fly.

Last edited:
Yesterday a Family member with wheelchair assist, travelling solo back to MCO from EWR with TSA-Pre had to sit in her wheelchair for 30 minutes at security because they could not find a female TSA to do a body check. Finally a female that was there at checkpoint all along, came over to do the scan. Family member was early so did not cause any delays. You never know. Going from MCO to EWR I was with her and only experienced a 10 minute delay to do a body check. I took her medical supplies thru with me, and they did a bag check (with new gloves) when she got thru. You have to tell the TSA to use fresh gloves so they don't contaminate her sterile equipment.

So the article writer says current security measures wouldn't have prevented 9/11 (aren't box cutters banned? Oh wait, they'd find something else to use). But in his "suggestions" says the focus should be on explosives. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the 9/11 hijackers didn't use explosives either, right? Doesn't that contradict himself?

And since terrorists are so smart and will find a way around any security system, we shouldn't have any? That makes sense to you?

The writer's premise is that the major weapon of the 9/11 terrorists was surprise and acquiescence by crew and pax. The element of surprise and acceptance end with Flight 93. So no, I don't think he contradicts himself. Since 9/11, all attempts (successful and unsuccessful) to bring down aircraft have involved explosives.
No need to exaggerate. Who said we shouldn't have security?

TSA pre is actually good for Five years and even with pre-check you are supposed to comply with the TSA restrictions especially the one on liquids. So while you are not asked to remove the 3-1-1 bag you should have only liquids of 3.4oz or less and they should be in a ziplock! I would also advise empty pockets and belt off (we just put them in our carryon prior to getting in line) as if you do set off the metal scanner you "could" be directed into the full body scanner or be subjected to a pat down even in the pre check line.

1) We do not have to wait in huge or long lines.
2) We do the TSA "Pre-Check". (Overseas, we use Global Entry, which is basically the same thing.)
. . . do not take off shoes
. . . do not empty all of our pockets of things like coins
. . . do not place liquids in a 3-1-1 bag
. . . do not take off belts
. . . do not take off light jackets
. . . do not remove laptops from the carry-on
3) Your airline Boarding Pass is clearly labeled with "Pre-Check".

NOTE: Although we get this FREE due to our frequent-flier elite status, anyone who can pass the security test can have it for $85, which is good for three years. You just apply in-person, fill out the form, show your ID, get finger-printed, and pay. It takes 2-15 business days to get your clearance. Most larger airlines are in the program, but there are a few that do not participate. I would never fly an airline that did not participate, and made me stand in those long security lines.

From the TSA Website:
TSA Pre✓® is an expedited security screening program connecting travelers departing from airports within the United States with smarter security and a better air travel experience.

Passengers considered low-risk who qualify for the program can receive expedited screening either as a member of the program or another specific trusted traveler group.

Rusty, my point was not about circumstances where Pre-Check isn't available, nor was it about an airline that didn't participate. The actual documentation of TSA's Pre-Check (or Global Entry) specifically says that you aren't guaranteed to get Pre-Check every time you fly.

1) OK.
2) When the airport had it and the airline participated, I had never heard of someone not getting it.
3) Thanks.

Just came through the Orland airport. Off the magical express by about 6:05, through security at 6:17. No TSA pre check. However, the Disney airline check in was a life saver. The Delta line was down the hallway and we didn't have to stand in it:)

That's what I was told as well.
I'm confused about the whole 'some airlines don't offer it'.....I didn't think it was an airline specific thing. Shouldn't have anything to do with a specific airline. Unless it's a very small airport. Our nearest airport doesn't have a precheck line, but that doesn't mean that Jetblue doesn't offer it! And JB is the only airline flying out of that airport.

That's what I was told as well.
I'm confused about the whole 'some airlines don't offer it'.....I didn't think it was an airline specific thing. Shouldn't have anything to do with a specific airline. Unless it's a very small airport. Our nearest airport doesn't have a precheck line, but that doesn't mean that Jetblue doesn't offer it! And JB is the only airline flying out of that airport.

I think you have to be prepared for anything ! I flew out of Kalamazoo in March - the smallest airport I have ever been in and although they didn't have a dedicated Pre-Check line I was able to use "Pre-Check via the regular line. I didn't have to remove shoes, laptop or 3-1-1 bag but I am always ready to do so in case I am asked to or there isn't a pre-check option.

I agree it isn't airline specific but could depend on the airport/time of day etc.

I had the worst tsa experience that I have ever had anywhere at mco in January 2015. Got there at 6 am and things were insane. They kept screaming at everyone and shifting the lines. Every time we got close, we were moved into a new line. The lines were so bad, they were repeatedly screaming at everyone to keep all electronics in their carry on bags to make things faster. So we put ours away and put our bags on the belt. Then the man checking the bags yelled at us for not taking them out. I told him that we were all being told to put them away. He called me a liar and said I could sit on the bench and wait a while if I wanted my stuff back. 2 1/2 hours total to get through security. Stressful end to a great vacation!

1) We have NEVER not had Pre-Check in larger USA airports or Global in foreign countries (unless the country's airport did not have Global).
2) Of course, there are some airlines that do not participate in Pre-Check (like Frontier), so you don't get it.
NOTE: In what circumstances did you not get Pre-Check service? Did the airport have it? Did the airline you used participate? Thanks.

Well, now that you have bragged about this... allow extra time next trip, your number is up.

I didn't get it last Friday. I have Global Entry so get it almost every time, but... fail on Delta this time

Has anyone signed up for Pre Check? or trying to?
I made appointments for me, dh and ds16 for our trip this summer. I figured if we might as well add ds19 so we all have it even though he won't be joining us this trip. Now it won't let me schedule any appointments at any site.
When I try to reschedule one of the first 3 I made, it shows all the available appointments but if I try to just start a new appointment, it won't let me.
Grrr....

I did walk in, NO APPOINTMENT, for TSA Pre Check on May 13th at my local office in Texas. I went around 1 PM, one person ahead of me. I went online on the 17th and my number was there. I printed out my confirmation and updated my KTN on United's website. I do have a passport, not sure if that speeded things up or if I was just lucky and got my number quickly.

Maybe try going as a walk-in??

Massive lines yet sections of security checkpoints closed.

The airlines have not greatly increased capacity because they are limited by gate space and landing slots.

Every security lane should open and fully staffed during peak travel dates and times. Those dates and times have remained constant over the years yet TSA not been able to respond to that demand. Remember Thousands Standing Around?

My last trip out of Orlando (MCO) was on a Tuesday and I arrived at 4:45 a.m. Walking into the terminal I was greeted by the longest lines I have ever seen. People once cleared through security sprinting to catch flights. Some missing their flight. How do I know? I talked with the gate agent on my flight. I was one of the last to board. The agent told me people had checked in but had not cleared security and we were leaving. How much earlier than 4:45 in the morning do people need to show up to get on an airplane?

How much earlier than 4:45 in the morning do people need to show up to get on an airplane?
Wouldn't that depend on what time the flight is? Showing up at 4:45AM for a 5am flight (for example) is on the passenger. Showing up at 4:45am for a 6am flight and needing to sprint to the gate is a different story.

Wouldn't that depend on what time the flight is? Showing up at 4:45AM for a 5am flight (for example) is on the passenger. Showing up at 4:45am for a 6am flight and needing to sprint to the gate is a different story.

I have spoken to gate agents at various airports. In the past year there has been an alarming number of passengers missing flights because of TSA delays. The airline knows they are stuck in unreasonably long lines based on their check in time. No, this one is on TSA.

That doesn't make sense either. Don't most people check in well before they get to the airport?

Most people? What does that mean? Go to any airport and observe the number of people on line to check in with an agent or kiosk. Is it most or some? Does not make a difference. The news is full of stories about the outrageous delays caused by TSA. Congressional hearings are in progress in this matter. People have posted on this forum about the lines. I have talked with many that experienced these lines. I have seen them for myself on numerous occasions.

Got some free time? Go to one of the major airports in the morning and see for yourself.

I'm seeing fewer flights than a year ago....airlines are taking flights away and are filling up the remaining flights. I flew last May, then in November, Dec, Jan, April, and last week. I haven't seen any changes in the numbers of passengers. I do see major inconsistency on the part of the TSA though. Are there more people traveling? Maybe. But it's just not enough to cause these log jams. It would have to be something like 50% more people, to cause what's happening. I think it's a combination of the numbers of people flying and ineptitude on the part of the TSA.
But, as I've mentioned before, both my security experiences of the past two weeks were really very good. But, I also wasn't flying a major airline, out of a massive terminal!
I know of many people that refuse to pay for one checked bag...so they get the largest allowable carry on bag and stuff it. Then, they get a slightly smaller bag and stuff that, and put it at their feet! All to save either $25 or 20 mins at baggage claim. And of course, with so many overstuffed bags going through scanners, things are going to get slowed down. Especially after the TSA allowed prohibited items through awhile ago. Now, they're overdoing the screenings...and being crazy obsessive. I had my carry on bag searched, after it went through the scanner 3 times (that took awhile, not making people behind me happy). What did they find? Wait for it......a paperback book! Yup. The TSA lady said that it looked suspicious because of the way it was sitting in my bag!! All this after she rifled through my stuff, messing up my well organized bag. Because of a paperback book!!! Have they never seen a book before?

The norm at Orlando is 45-60 minutes. I've waited two hours. A friend gave up after three a few months ago, went home, and returned to the airport the next morning to claim his bag.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter