OT: Recommend website builder program?

disneygoof

DIS Veteran
Looking for an easy to use, inexpensive (or free!) website builder for a charity with which I'm involved. Need to build a site that's not extremely dynamic, but aesthetically pleasing, with capacity for photos, links, and possibly a paypal (or equivalent) component.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can offer!

If you have a Mac then iWeb is the easiest, prettiest creation tool there is - but it is basic. I personally use RapidWeaver. Easy-peasy, very powerful and expandable as well as looking great out of the box!

Will they run their own server or use web hosting? I'd use whatever free builder comes with the host package.

Will they run their own server or use web hosting? I use whatever free builder comes with the host package.

Ah, no, you'd need to buy webspace, a domain name and then upload your site.

I seem to remember a product called Herald that gave you all that and that you customised online, choosing from various nice designs, but I think that's vanished, sadly.

There is a similar site design tool out there like Herald but more advanced. Have a poke around - if I come across it I'll let you know.

I have my site hosted by Ipage and they offer a website builder as well as other great features. I'm building my website though through Wordpress.

Ah, no, you'd need to buy webspace, a domain name and then upload your site.

I seem to remember a product called Herald that gave you all that and that you customised online, choosing from various nice designs, but I think that's vanished, sadly.

There is a similar site design tool out there like Herald but more advanced. Have a poke around - if I come across it I'll let you know.

Ugh! Lost my last post... I was wondering if they already had the webspace and the OP was wanting to work off that? You still buy a domain name unless charities get them free. If the OP needs a host, then whatever they offer should be fine. Most have great free tools these days. I remember Web Monkey (1996?) ;) It allowed us commoners to throw up websites without any technical understanding. LOL!

If you need a host also then I suggest Go Daddy. The Website tonight package is very easy to use and can be customized. You can easily add Paypal, pics, etc. A 5 page package is pretty reasonable.

I think we have a free webhost but not sure if it's donated space on a private server or a public server that comes with its own design program. Thanks for the continued feedback. Officially I'm a PC user, but am not sure if the person I'm inheriting this from is Mac or PC.

Squarespace is what one of my foundations uses.

years ago, our family used homestead.com but I don’t know if that is still active

Squarespace is what one of my foundations uses.

years ago, our family used homestead.com but I don’t know if that is still active
I always thought it is only for the photographers, but it was in the past, before i read this article - https://www.webbuildersguide.com/best-website-builder/wedding/. Squarespace is perfect for photographers but not only. It is great for most of the commercial websites as well, if you know what you are doing.

Last edited:
I know this thread is old and I'm sorry for bumping it. But I'm in search of a good and easy way to create a website. From what I read, web builders like Wix or Weebly might be a good choice for a tech-savvy person like me. Am I right? Or should I choose another web design tool?

Depends on what you are going to use your website for? Do you need an e-commerce site? Are you selling things online and need an online shopping cart? Then Squarespace is very popular with preofessional colleagues all over the U.S, who do a lot of online sales.

Is your site mostly informational? Is the info going to be static and pretty much stay the same? So people are just directed to your site for info or updates? Or are you going to change the content a lot? Wordpress.com is one of the oldest, well-respected, reliable website building and blog platforms there is. It is also FREE. There are plenty of ready-made free templates to use to get you up and running with a personalized style for different types of content. It also has a text box, with formatting at the top of the box, like here at the Disboard.com, where you can type in text, click to add photos, add videos, move things around, add/delete easily. Then change to a different template as your site grows or preferences change. I've turned several friends & colleagues onto Wordpress.com.

Wordpress.org is the paid version, with monthly web hosting fees, more professional add-ons you can buy to upgrade and personalize the features of your site. You can also add an online shopping cart.

Both versions of Wordpress are open source programming, meaning it is made with coding that can been seen, modified, and distributed freely among web developers worldwide. Since some of the developers live and breath coding and it their happy challenge to build something new, they've made hundreds of templates, add-ons, developments, improvements to various software we use. Some stuff is free, like for the wordpress.com version, and others paid.

If you plan to be interactive with readers, post a lot, first on Instagram and move people to your blog for more in-depth info, and want more of a blog format, there is Blogger.com. It used to be known as blogspot.com, one of the first, oldest, most popular and easiest blog platforms. It is now owned by Google. So, it's not going away anytime soon. It is also free.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter