• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Other people's suprising reactions to your DVC membership?

DVCJEN

DIS Veteran
We purchased DVC last year after a couple years of weighing our options. We didn't really talk a whole lot about it to people as we knew WDW isn't everyone's "thing". Well it was brought up at a family gathering over the Lobor Day weekend and several relatives were just appalled by it. (Not that is any of their business of course :rolleyes: ) The one that suprised me the most was a cousing of mine, who is very much a spender, who went on and on about how we were "throwing away money" and "it must be nice to have money to burn". It was weird. I mean, it doesn't bother me when someone else spends their own money.
Anyone else have family with strange reactions to DVC?

We get that reaction every time we mention that it is similar to a timeshare. The "timeshare" word puts people off almost every time. Now we simply call it the Disney Vacation Club and that gets a better response.

Also, remember that many, if not most, people in this country think they are doing well financially if they can make their house, car and credit card payments every month. As long as they make the payment, things are going well. I think that spending 10-15K or more for something that doesn't reap immediate rewards is a tough concept for some to grasp. You buy a car, you park it in the driveway, you buy a house you move in. Spending this much money and being able to say that my lodging is paid for my trip next year doesn't give the same immediate satisfaction some people crave.

Well... my family had mixed reactions.
My mom and brothers were all like.. COOL! now we can go every year!!! (and I was thinking... umm... yea... no!) My mom even mentioned giving me some money to buy her some points. I told my cousin that live in FL and she said that she tried the timeshare thing and it was a ripoff... but when I explained how DVC works she agreed it was better than what she had had.... BUT she had to throw in... "Why can't you just stay with me? We only live 30 minutes from WDW!" :confused3

My partners family was the same about being able to go with us ever year too... except they added... "how much did you pay for that, $1500?". This was after I told them I had just bought 110 add-on pts at SSR. After I stopped laughing I asked how much they thought a week at POR would cost... they had no idea. So, when I told them how much I actually paid, they changed their tone and were like, "You are crazy!" Then I had to explain how we go every year and the money it will save in the long haul and being able to stay in nicer places (and on-site) etc etc etc. And they also said something about it being "nice to have money" etc etc...

I don't think they've ever stayed on-site so we'll definately have to take them with us one time.

Some folks just don't understand we are a different type of people! :crazy:

DVCJEN said:
We purchased DVC last year after a couple years of weighing our options. We didn't really talk a whole lot about it to people as we knew WDW isn't everyone's "thing". Well it was brought up at a family gathering over the Lobor Day weekend and several relatives were just appalled by it. (Not that is any of their business of course :rolleyes: ) The one that suprised me the most was a cousing of mine, who is very much a spender, who went on and on about how we were "throwing away money" and "it must be nice to have money to burn". It was weird. I mean, it doesn't bother me when someone else spends their own money.
Anyone else have family with strange reactions to DVC?

My father is exactly like your cousin so we don't tell him we own it we tell him my in laws do LOL.

Vacations are at the bottom of the priority list for many people I know. So they definitely don't see why anyone in their right mind would buy a "timeshare" and go on vacation every year. They think we're mad!

My sister in law feels the same way about both timeshares AND Disney. She went to WDW once, and that means "she has seen that already". Of course, they were there with their 4 children between Christmas and New Years 10 years ago. Believe me, they hardly saw anything! We were there the last couple days of their trip, and they had hardly scratched the surface, because they wouldn't listen to how to do it.

no one understands here in UK. When I say I am going to Disneyworld they ask if I am visiting Paris!! I would not even to try explain why I bought into DVC.

I have told a couple of my close friends as I want them to come with us but mostly I keep it to myself.

Susan

Replies seem to fall into the following categories:
  • Great! Now I can take advantage of you!
  • Now you'll never be able to go anywhere interesting!
  • I'm jealous that you can afford that!
  • You're stupid! All timeshares lose half their value the day after you buy them.
  • How nice for you. Have a wonderful time.
I figure people must pass around the list and choose which one they'll use, right before I tell them.

I've had the same reactions from many friends and family members! My parents thought I was nuts....until they decided to take a last minute trip and they are using my points! I agree that most people do not consider vacations as a necessity, but it has always been a priority for our family. This way I can make sure it stays a priority.

Same general reactions here. The one that tickled me the most was a certain relative (no too much detail) who owns 2 different timeshares (not DVC) told us what a ripoff it was. These are the same people who go to the same place the same time every year, yipee. I actually went with them once and we literally sat in the condo 90% of the time and watched TV. Why drive 8 hours (they will not fly, waste of money, etc) to do the same thing I could do at home. Funny thing is, we have owned since June 04 and made 5 trips home, guess who has been with us on 3 of those trips! 'Nuff said.

Funny you should ask:
my father was the one who first "helped" us get to WDW, he let us use one of his "Vail weeks" that he traded for a "Kissimmee week" for a gift, way back when......
Now that we have a little money we wanted to buy in and he has said " I know you LOVE Disney" and this (it just blows me away) "of the 4 of you [1 sis and 2 stepbros] I think you and your DH have done the most responsible things financially speaking" and that was after I told him we bought! He also intimated that he'd love to spend time there with us. :love:
It's great they all think we're a little over the top with our obsession with WDW, but are non judgemental w/ what we do w/ our money (especially since we would not finance vacations, this was a small purchase, but a purchase made w/ cash, and they respected that)
As for my mom and step they are already planning on joining us on our first trip as DVC owners! :teeth:
Outside the family I don't mention much other than I really like going to disney World and trying to go frequently!

Lastly DVCJEN: who cares what they say YOU KNOW how much it means to you! and you can "throw your money" anywhere you want!

CharlesTD said:
My father is exactly like your cousin so we don't tell him we own it we tell him my in laws do LOL.

And my dad is the same way, except he lives in Ocala - a 2 hr drive! I think not. We haven't told him either, he would be crushed that we were in FL and didn't go to see him but there is *no way on earth* that I could see him that often and keep my sanity. :crazy:

We are brand new members from blue collar families.

We definitely won't be bringing up our purchase into the DVC with our family and friends. The word "Time Share" has such a bad reputation that you first have to overcome that, and then explain how it really works. Then you have to explain that we've bought a contract that's good for the next 37 years, so they can understand the value, then you talk points and the different resorts. They have to realize how much we have been spending on vacations in the past (for us, about $2500 per 5 or 6 day trip -- excluding air fare!). You have to go into so much detail about your finances that it's just a can of worms, and in the end I'm afraid they'd either think we were bragging about money or being foolish with our money -- neither of which is true obviously.

The person who said their friend mentioned "How much did you spend for that -- $1500?", hit home with me.

Hey, we drive our cars til they die (our youngest car is 10 years old, our oldest is 20). I have family who trade in for a new car every 2 years!, yet wouldn't dream of spending $3000 for a week family vacation. We all have different senses of what is good value for your money.

-

Most know we are Disney fans. Few say much about it one way or the other. I suspect they know we are DVC members -- we have DVC member license plates on the front of our cars.

JimC said:
Most know we are Disney fans. Few say much about it one way or the other. I suspect they know we are DVC members -- we have DVC member license plates on the front of our cars.

:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

Thanks for the laugh. Now I can go to sleep with pleasant thoughts. G'night!

I get various reactions....the in laws have never acknowledged it except to ask me once with a concerned face if we were happy with it. I suspect they think "buying a timeshare" is a poor investment. However, we don't see it as an investment, we see it as a luxury that we used disposable income for. We have family members with expensive cars, boats, and campers and no one blinks about those things. However, our DVC has 49 more years on it...I want to see my sister's boat last that long.

My BIL likes to tell us how they can't stand Disney due to crowds, heat, etc. How their daughter was "overwhelmed" in the Magic Kingdom and how they prefer bird watching in Maine. I'd rather have a root canal then spend a week with binoculars over my eyes watching birds.

Others like to say, "How could you go to Disney every year???" (It's actually at least 2, if not 3 times a year, but I digress.)

Most have no idea how DVC works and think I'm locked into a certain week at a condo every year. When we got home last month my mother asked me, "So now will someone else stay "in YOUR unit." As if Rm 4310 at SSR was waiting for me to check back in whenever I decided to. :confused3

I must admit that we considered DVC a thing that only the rich could afford--until I seriously looked into it. I requested and watched the DVD without ever mentioning it to my DH. After I figured out the numbers-I approached my DH about buying. I knew the homework needed to be done before going to DH.

As for the family--they tease us for being financially conservative--I think it was a shock to them when we told them about our purchase. We got mixed reviews. Like others have said--I have relatives with other luxuries and nobody questions them. :hourglass THREE DAYS AND COUNTING---BWV here we come!!!!!!!

Divamomto3 said:
....Others like to say, "How could you go to Disney every year???" (It's actually at least 2, if not 3 times a year, but I digress.)

Ask those folks if they have a favorite vacation destination that they visit regularly. Most often they will say the beach, the mountains, the lake, etc. And then I ask don't they get bored looking at the same sand, trees, water, etc. year after year. That usually stops them in their tracks!

Shawn,

You hit it on the head. It all lies with priorities and what feeds each of our needs and ego's on an individual basis.

We mention to pleople that we own a couple of timeshares, but don't expand too much. I am lucky that both my parents and my inlaws own timeshares and understand, as they have bought into the concept.

Actually, it was my parents that feel it was the best move I have made in a while, as it forces me to pull away from work and take a vacation or two annually! Someting many people are missing... Vacations and/or time off!

I only mention what I paid for my Hilton Grand Vacation Club, as we were able to buy it for less then 1/2 what the developer was asking!

Cheers,

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter