• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Other people's suprising reactions to your DVC membership?

My BIL doesn't care that we made the purchase (he's considered a Marriott for himself in the past). But, he is TOTALLY agast at the idea that we don't have one set week every year. To him, the certainty and predictability of the same week, same size unit, every year is far more more appealling than date and resort flexibility.

But his point makes no sense to me cuz it sounds like a contradiction: "I'd never want to book 7 - 11 months in advance. I can't know what I'm doing that far ahead. Just give me week 32 every year. Then I'll know what I'm doing forever." :confused3 Don't even get him started on flaws of banking and borrowing (which is not unique to DVC, as I understand it).

OK. Whatever.

Interesting thread. We are new members at SSR (sent our documents back by FedEx on Tuesday) and haven't told people. I'm afraid of the reactions. Probably not related to the money, but to Disney. There is a definite elitist view of Disney among some people I know. Like if you read books and go to museums, Disney is not for you. Have you encountered this attitude?

All I can say is, we've had a great time there, we are eager to return regularly, and I don't criticize where other people go on vacation!

My mother in law thinks we're idiots for buying DVC.

We think she's an idiot for thinking that Disney is "tacky".

So I think we're even.

This is an interesting thread. I am not officially a DVC member yet – waiting for Disney to process the small contract we just bought.

DH and I haven’t mentioned to anyone yet, but I already wondering what the reaction would be because I don’t think any of our family even knows what DVC is. And our families already think that we are over the top because we like to vacation several times a year. It is what we enjoy most – more than fancy cars, clothes, jewelry, etc.

Shawn said:
I have family who trade in for a new car every 2 years!, yet wouldn't dream of spending $3000 for a week family vacation. We all have different senses of what is good value for your money.
I had to laugh at this -- this sums up some of our extended family members.

The funny thing is DH and I both are celebrating turning 40 within the next few months and then our 15th anniversary early next year. This is our gift to celebrate. So it will be interesting if someone asks me what I got for my bday or anniversary. I am not sure what I will tell them.

Divamomto3 said:
"How could you go to Disney every year???" (It's actually at least 2, if not 3 times a year, but I digress.)
:rotfl: DS was 4 on our first trip to WDW and I had a cousin who couldn't believe we would take him so young because he wouldn't remember it. When I told her that it wasn't like it would be his only trip to WDW. She said that WDW is a once in a lifetime trip for a kid. :rolleyes1 That's when I knew we wouldn't see eye to eye on it, so no point discussing it further.

It is so WONDERFUL to have a place like this to come where I know others understand my Disney passion. :disrocks:

My mother and brothers think we're rich since we've bought not one BUT two timeshares (VWL and HHI). They will never come right out and say it, but I'm sure behind our backs we get talked about alot because of our joining DVC. But I'm way too old to be concerned at all about what they think or say. Everytime we go on a DVC trip I'm sure they are very envious though. IMO it's all in how you choose to spend your money. Both my brothers live in much nicer houses than we do (not that there is anything wrong with ours, it's just a 30 year old house that has 30 year old house type problems :) ). One brother just bought a brand new Lexus and thinks nothing about dropping $250 for a new golf club periodically. The other brother recently bought a new boat. His boat cost about the same thing as our two DVC contracts. Which do you think will still be in use in 20 years? We prefer to spend our money on things that will last and provide continuing enjoyment year after year.

My friends basically have very little interest in visiting Disney parks. Their reaction was:
ohthat'sveryniceforyouyou'llgetalotofuseoutofit. :rolleyes1

I haven't told my family, except for my brother. He's in his 60s, but has taken in his three grandchildren in as foster children (long story, don't ask). As a result, he bought a timeshare and will be taking them down to WDW every year. When I mentioned DVC he said that whole point thing was too complicated :confused3

I first was considering cash only but in 93 - but it would take me 5 years to get enough cash (at the time).

so I financed it. no regrets - got a promotion in 94 and was able to pay it off earlier.

the reason I brought then instead of later was the 'free tickets'.

they mean alot of my brother who couldn't afford to go without them. I, my mother and my friends also enjoyed them!!!

Anyway alot of people, who make much more money than I do, can't understand how I can afford DVC.

It depends upon what you spend it on. I own a condo not a house. (okay there are other reasons for not buying a house). I brought a Honda (which is now paid off) instead of a van or RV (jeep type).

if you spend your money wisely then DVC is a great value.

I also have other timeshares - but on the whole I brought them cheap - they are a great value for my non-disney trip or even my Orlando trips.

I bought a small resale as a gift to myself after reaching some goals in life earlier this year.

I only told a few friends that I was considering it, and they know my approximate income as they work with me. They felt that it was a good investment, considering that I pay to stay at WDW resorts rather than take advantage of free/almost free nights offsite.

As for family, I have only told my grandparents, as I still remember my father years ago lecturing me never to get 'sucked into' a timeshare purchase. My grandparents reaction?

'That's great! You should always make time to enjoy yourself. Can we go to WDW with you this year in December?' :rotfl:

I am blessed by them - they made room for travel early in life, and fostered my love for travel and experiencing new things. Sounds like they will now need to add WDW to their Germany-Canada-Hawaii travel pattern!

I just get tired of having to justify my DVC purchase. I shouldn't care what others say, but I do. I know my family is thinking that I got "sucked" into a bad financial investment. I'm not using this as a financial investment, mom. My DVC purchase is an investment in my mental health!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

have hope, momtosydneyntodd - my mother say the same things - until her 2nd visit to OKW (DVC then).

she shortly changed her tune. "to that is the best investment you have ever made."

it is not an investment in money - but time your and your family.

we have definitely enjoy DVC and will continue too.

When we told them about our DVC purchase since we have always been very conservative with our $$. We were prepared to hear the usual anti-timeshare arguments, especially from my family. Instead all we heard was "well since you guys go there every year anyway it's probably a good idea"
Right now we are working out the logistics for a family get-together in 2007. Can't wait to check-out those GVs at OKW. :banana:

DW and I got similar reactions most others got when telling parents. Did you REALLY check into it? Are you sure you want to do that? Are you sure you have the money?
Well, yes we did REALLY check into it, we did want to do it, and we do have the money.

I read on another thread what I thought sums up the attitude of DVC members. Its not just about vacations. Its a lifestlye.

Most of the people who are DVC members would be going to vacation at Disney even if they didnt have point to use. They would just pay cash. They are NOT the type that would save for the BIG FAMILY VACATION they would take every 2 or 3 years.

Before we bought DVC and took yearly vacations to Disney, people would say "How can you afford that, isnt it expensive?"

I've tried to explain to people how inexpensive a trip to Disney can be, we even got my parents and inlaws to go with us on different occasions, and both of them can be so tight, they squeak.

I guess it is just hard to get people to understand the way we feel about Disney. If I could be at any spot at any given time, it would be at the end of Main Street Looking up toward Cinerella's Castle. At that point I know I am in Disney World, the rest of the world just doesn't seem to matter as much.

dianeschlicht said:
I think the words "timeshare purchase" scare some folks.

That's why I always tell them I bought into a Vacation Club. Then they are like... what's that? As I mentioned before, I get the "not a good financial investment" things... but then I show them the pics of the resorts and those same people ask when "WE" (as in including them) are going...

vascubaguy said:
That's why I always tell them I bought into a Vacation Club. Then they are like... what's that? As I mentioned before, I get the "not a good financial investment" things... but then I show them the pics of the resorts and those same people ask when "WE" (as in including them) are going...
LOL, yep, it's only a good idea if they can participate! :teeth:

I sort of justified adding on to our DVC by telling myself "Won't it be fun to bring family and friends with us somethimes!" So, how come when the cousins ask when are they going to Disney with us, my first thought is "keep your dirty hands off my DVC points..."

sigh

kmc33 said:
It is so WONDERFUL to have a place like this to come where I know others understand my Disney passion.

I feel exactly the same way! None of my off-line friends feel the same about Disney as we do!

I don't know because it is a closely guarded secret. :rotfl: I quit telling people about my trips to disney because of the same old reactions.

"Going to Disney again!!!"
"Doesn't that get boring?"

etc.

So I just enjoy my points and keep my big mouth shut! :cool1:

My Dad started off by saying he was too old to buy a timeshare, and then after staying at DVC with us he bought my Mom 70 points (on my contract). We meet my parents there every January for a week :cool1:

FOr others, they have gotten so used to our going so frequently, they ask when is the next trip and for planning advice when they get ready to go :wizard:

This is hilarious...

A friend came back several years ago from Disney and said she was thinking about buying into DVC.

Of course, I told her she was crazy and timeshares are a big rip off.

Well now we are proud owners of DVC ourselves and really should learn to listen before I speak! Could have save ourselves quite a bit of money if we had of bought then!!!

Very valuable lesson learned!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter