• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Other people's suprising reactions to your DVC membership?

We had friends visit us at VWL a few years back. I think my reaction to one of the friends comments was more interesting.

:rotfl2: She asked if the room remained empty all year when we were not using it. :rotfl2:

My in-laws have that "timeshares are a rip-off" attitude but don't say anything to us. We didn't even tell them we bought DVC until they mentioned maybe meeting us on our Dec trip. Their reaction was "oh, you bought a timeshare" followed by looks of disaproval.

My mother dislikes Disney for so many reasons-it's a theme park, too many children, etc. She knows we love it though, and was supportive. Although she did make a comment about "going year after year and getting sick of it"

My 2 brothers and 1 brother in law all thinks it's nice for us "since we have kids." None of them do. My one brother and sister-in-law (a lawyer and a doctor respectively) always go to exotic and/or expensive places-Figi Islands, Hawaii, Tahiti. We mentioned them going with us some time and they were like " um, yeah, well maybe" :rotfl: Oh well, at least they won't be asking us to use our points! My other brother still tells this "horror story" about the time a flight he was on was re-routed and he had to fly out of Orlando at like 7:00 at night. According to him, the flight was filled with what seemed like "hundreds" of crying children in Disney shirts and Mickey ears. Just mentioning DVC makes him bring up this flight. :rotfl: I don't think he and his wife will be coming any time soon either!

I haven't told very many people that we bought DVC. It isn't any of their business. They were always surprised that our vacations to WDW were as frequent as they were.

There are some people where it has come up in conversation. The thing that surprises me it that I seem to have just one standard conversation that happens over and over again:

Them: "How many kids do you have?"
Me: "None."
Them: "You don't have kids and you go to Disney World? Why would you want to go to Disney World?"
Me: "Because I'm emotionally retarded."

The odd thing is that the conversation sort of ends there.

The real surpise is when we take skeptics with us, and they end up buying! :rotfl:

iankh said:
Them: "How many kids do you have?"
Me: "None."
Them: "You don't have kids and you go to Disney World? Why would you want to go to Disney World?"
Me: "Because I'm emotionally retarded."

The odd thing is that the conversation sort of ends there.

That is SO what I say! LOL I'm glad it's not just me that's emotionally retarded. My family acts like it's required to have a kid to go to WDW so they keep trying to hand over one of theirs. I keep saying, but if I take YOUR kid, it won't be a vaction for ME! Selfish, maybe. Don't care! LOL :rotfl:

My DH was the one that would never consider buying into DVC. The first time we went to Disneyworld, he said, "Just ignore those timeshare people and keep walking." After 2 more trips and $$$$ out the wazoo, we spent $8,000 on a Disney cruise, 7 day for 4 of us.

He was so impressed with the Disney ship that HE made the appointment with a guide and told ME, "We need to meet with this guy Thurday." Totally shocked me!

We bought onboard but then came home, cancelled and bought thru The Timeshare Store.... More points, less money.

But my mother is like, "Are y'all (yes I'm from the south) going to Disney again? Don't you get tired of it? "

She's clueless!

Like everyone else, I get those same looks and comments about owning at WDW. But, over this past week-end I had a really refreshing experience. I was with my dd at a community theater audition. She was auditioning for a children's theater production. I was waiting outside and the subject of WDW came up. I started talking about our many trips and a mother said to me.."You go so often you should own DVC!" My mouth dropped and I told her that we did own DVC. She asked where and I replied at BWV..she says...OMG...so do we!! It was hysterical. There were 3 of us moms sitting there extolling the virtues of DVC. Our kids have decided a joint trip is definatly in order!!! It is so nice to have someone that actually 'gets' it!!

Love this thread!
We also get the comments and looks of eyes rolling. :rolleyes2 Dh took the tour of BCV back in 2003 while we were there with my family. I thought he was nuts and no way we could afford it. Then Feb 2004 came and after he got an inherience from his grandfather's estate, he decided that he wanted to buy into DVC. He has good memories of his grandfather taking his whole family to WDW as a child. We got the comments on "well nice to afford it now" , "should invest in something long term" ,"Disney every year?". My brother said : I could not do Disney cause we do not have kids yet? He does not get Disney at all. HUH? :earseek:
Now we are doing Christmas with entire family members and hotel is paid for. BTW, a grand villa in December is not CHEAP if you paid cash! But we have the points! Our "timeshare" will be almost paid for in 1.5 years! :teeth:
You should see the looks we get when we say it is a Vacation home in Florida! LOL :rotfl:

Just got this from one of my friends this weekend. "Don't you get tired of going there?" It's really hard to explain to people that don't get it. I said we were going for the different seasonal events F&W etc and that we spend lots of time relaxing at the resorts not being command. But DH and I love it and that's what really matters.

We tell people that we go a lot because we like unreality. "Have a magical day" is so much better than hearing "up yours" in the real world. :rotfl2:

We must be pretty lucky because we haven't gotten any really awful reactions. Well, okay, I think my mom might have said something if she didn't know any better....but she knows I'm an obsessive planner and researcher.

Actually when we joined we had been given a large monetary gift from a relative....we first told my mom we were thinking of buying a car. She said something to the effect of "it would be a shame to put such a large gift towards something that will be gone so quickly" LOL....We thought about it and bought DVC. I really think my mom was thinking more along the lines of a downpayment on a house. 5 years later we have a house too....at the time we didn't know where we wanted to live, but we knew where we wanted to vacation!

The actual worst reaction we've gotten was not when we first purchased. My bil and his fiancee had started planning a trip to Disney and inquired about using our points....dh said "hmmm...we don't have a whole lot available right now but we could get you a studio for 5 nights during the week..." to which bil responded that they needed enough room for the two of them, plus his fiancee's kids and grandkids. LOL For a whole week. ROTFLMAO. I think they ended up staying at an off site rental home.

I'm really happy to share my points but to ask for more than we're able to have for ourselves is taking it a bit far! We're a family of 5 with 200 points...full weeks in a grand villa just aren't going to happen for us and most certainly aren't going to happen on our points without us!

My family thought we were a little nuts at first and really surprised that two 20-somethings would spend so much (from the sister who has 10 cars -- her husband restores them -- that was a hoot to listen to). But we've since taken them twice -- once in four studios and once in a GV. After the studios trip, my parents did a 75 point add-on to our DVC and I'm their "travel agent" now for their annual January OKW trip -- they've added on more since then. After the GV trip, the sister with the 10 cars starting asking details about pricing and such, too, but they'd probably have to sell some cars and I don't see that happening.

I try not to talk about it at all - only a few members of our family know about it.. the rest would either criticize or take advantage of us..

Work is a whole other problem... for some reason they MUST know where we go for vacations - boss, staff, everyone... after about our 5th trip i think they were wondering how in the world could we afford that?

I've made up this whole story about DH's uncle owning a condo "down there" and he lets us stay there for free.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter