Our First, Last and only visit to Universal...yuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thelionqueen

DIS Veteran
First of all, to all the Universal lovers out there, please don't flame me, this is my opinion of Universal & Islands of Adventure..these are just my personal observations.

OK, where to begin...Well, after reading about the Kids free + 3 extra days deal, I decided it was time to try Universal. For $200 for all 4 of us for 5 days seemed like a no brainer, so I went for it.

We planned 2 whole days, one for each park...turns out, only 1/2 day was needed.

First of all the cost of parking is a joke! Maybe it's because I have never had to pay for parking @ Disney that this threw me off, but anyway, to pay $14 for "preferred" parking that still took over 10 mins. to reach the park is ridiculous. I still kept an open mind and made the trek. Got to the shops (I know it has a name, but don't know what it is) another 10 minutes walk to the parks. What I did notice with all this walking is the difference of patrons. Now, without trying to offend anyone, I am going to try to describe the guests as diplomatically as I can. Let's just say that I felt like I had walked into east LA. Many of the people were teenagers and 20-25. Many had foul mouths and were acting like gangsters. Using "street lingo" very loudly and offensively. I truly felt intimidated just with the type of visitors I was seeing.

After FINALLY getting into Islands of Adventure, I was surprised. I thought the theming and colors were very nice. I liked all the water features, but the rides were way spread out and WAY overloaded lines. We decided we HAD to go on Spiderman with our boys and ended up waiting well over an hour. The way the line spread out was very misleading and had I known how long the line was, I never would've ridden it. As it turns out, Spiderman was singlehandeldy the most expensive ride we've ever ridden, it cost $200 (it was the only ride we rode). The ride itself was great, but not worth the length of wait.

We headed over to Toon Lagoon and beyond and the kids were trying out the water features all the way there. Let's just say the kids there (and completely unattentive parents) were completely out of control, rude, dirty and unpleasant. I told my kids to stay out from now on. The shops had almost NO ONE in them which indicated to me the level of quality overall of the park and it's merchandise. Again, just my personal opinion, no flames please. Then I saw younger guests drinking alcohol. I think that reason may have been the one that pushed me over the edge. I firmly believe that alcohol should not be served at a theme park where children abound. I didn't see anyone drunk or acting badly, but I'm sure it's only because I didn't stay long enough.

Finally after walking and walking and walking and finding almost no rides that DS4 could ride, I was done. I wanted out, and I wanted out now! Honestly, I would have paid another $200 for someone to just get me out quicker, seriously.

Basically, Universal was DIRTY, overpriced, unbelievably long lines, served alcohol and attracted a crowd that I didn't feel comfortable being around. Again, just my .02, but if you're used to Disney Quality and have younger children, I would suggest skipping Universal and spending your money @ Disney.

Nothing a little planning couldn't have fixed. :wave2:

And strangely, I've never seen anything like that at the parks... Unless you mean field trip kids? Which no one park in the world is immune to..

Anyway, I very much doubt there were kids drinking alcohol. I'm carded for alcohol everywhere at Universal, even at the restaurants. Unless you mean there were people of-age drinking and that bothered you. I would advise you then not to step foot in a Sea World or Busch Gardens, where you will see me and my friends often with beers in hand as they are complimentary and we are... thirsty. Oh, Epcot too.

And I'm not sure why you're not used to paying for parking at Disney but it's only a dollar less... except Universal stops charging for parking at 6pm and Disney won't let up until about an hour before park closing. This is the same price of parking as Sea World and Busch Gardens, but less than Six Flags and other parks.

But ah yes, Universal. The park with out of control, dirty, alcoholic kids.

Are you sure you forgot to remove your 3D glasses from Philharmagic?

Not flaming, but just lending some observations based on the information you provided:

-I suspect you didn't pay for parking at Disney because you stayed onsite. Likewise at Universal, those that stay on property are provided with free transportation to the parks.

-Another advantage of staying on Universal property is the "front of the line" access you are granted for all rides. This, along with a good park touring plan, is a great way to avoid long lines.

-Islands of Adventure is a rather high-test ride park and they don't make any secret of that. It's pretty clear in any information you read that the park has little to offer the younger set so I'm not understanding why this surprised you.

-I will refrain from remarking on your description of the other park-goers other than to say I have never, in all my visits (even during the Halloween Horror Nights events) seen anything such as you describe.

A lot of the pitfalls you fell into could have been avoided and there is plenty of info out there (and here) to illustrate that. Frankly, I'm a bit surprised that, as an experienced theme park visitor and DIS member, you didn't have a better plan that was more suitable to your family's needs. I think it would have helped you have a better time - sorry your trip was a disappointment.

I'm sorry you had such a disappointing trip. DH and I enjoy Universal immensely...but I can see how families with younger children might be less than satisfied, especially with IOA, because they can't experience all the rides. But surely you knew this before you went?

Maybe you could try going at a lower attended time of the year when your kids are a little older and meet height requirements. We go in September, and find the crowds much more manageable. Also, staying onsite is worth it's weight in gold, just for FOTL. You do have to pay to park at the resort...that's true, but it's not as expensive as staying off-site and parking.

As far as the clientele....you find "those" people at Disney, too...perhaps just not as concentrated in one area. US/IOA thrill rides probably attract more teens and young adults than say, Epcot, not to mention that US/IOA is more affordable...more accessible to people from all walks, etc. And, alcohol is readily available everywhere except MK at WDW. I do notice more people partaking while they walk around at US/IOA...not sure why.

Again, sorry you didn't enjoy your trip...I love US/IOA so much that it makes me sad to hear someone didn't like it.

Ok, first of all, how did you get out of paying for parking at Disney?
Second, I don't understand this:
I firmly believe that alcohol should not be served at a theme park where children abound. I didn't see anyone drunk or acting badly, but I'm sure it's only because I didn't stay long enough.
The only park at Disney that does not serve alcohol is MK. All the rest, DTD, and the resorts all sell alcohol. Last time I checked there were alot of children abound at Disney. :confused3

As we really enjoy Disney the most.

We are planning to do US/IOA and SW on our fall/winter trips between of PAP's .

We enjoyed it when we went 2 years ago.It's different from Disney but things in Disney are different as well.

When I went with a group from playing Paintball they were still offering the pay frontof the line passes so we did that .I have never had a problem with US or Disney with getting everything done that we wanted to do.

I kind of like that the rides don't dump you into a store right away.

I truly love both Disney and Universal. Universal/IOA is completely different from WDW and IOA is much more suited to older children and teens. That said we have never had a bad time there (even with our young daughter). I always recommend at least one night in a Universal resort so that you have access to no wait on the rides for two days (day of check in and day of check out). It truly makes the difference. We have never waited more than 10 minutes for a ride there thanks to the hotel stay.

By the way, I have stayed at every deluxe WDW hotel except the Boardwalk and can honestly say that Universal's hotels are a much better deal. With pre-booking the price is about half of what WDW deluxe hotels are and Loews HOtel offers a nice product that exceeds most of WDW hotels.

Sorry you did not enjoy your Universal/IOA visist.

thelionqueen said:
After FINALLY getting into Islands of Adventure, I was surprised. I thought the theming and colors were very nice. I liked all the water features, but the rides were way spread out and WAY overloaded lines. We decided we HAD to go on Spiderman with our boys and ended up waiting well over an hour. The way the line spread out was very misleading and had I known how long the line was, I never would've ridden it. As it turns out, Spiderman was singlehandeldy the most expensive ride we've ever ridden, it cost $200 (it was the only ride we rode). The ride itself was great, but not worth the length of wait.

Ok, I don't understand how you consider the rides to be way spread out, unless you mean that they're all around the lagoon...but overall IOA is smaller than most parks in Orlando size-wise.

Also, you said that you didn't know how long the line was at Spiderman, but outside of every ride the projected wait time, so if you saw that, you would have known. Also, at certain locations there is a sign which lists all of the rides and shows wait times, so you can plan that way also.

The rest I cannot comment on, but I have never seen what you've described in the 20+ times I've been to IOA/USF.

And like the others, if you had been able to plan more ahead of time, you may have been able to do more things.

Just curious... did you even try to go to Universal Studios theme park? There are definitely more rides there for a 4-year old than at IOA, excepting Suess Land which would have been ideal for your little one.

I can understand your frustration with the wait times, we've experienced it in the past at both Disney and Universal. Luckily on our most recent trip over Memorial Day weekened we stayed on-site and were able to take advantage of the FOTL / Express Pass offered to hotel guests. Having said that - we were at the parks on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of that weekend and I never saw a standard line wait time of more than 30 minutes. Not that I would want to wait that long if I didn't have to (and believe me I've waited in longer lines! :teeth: )

I have to agree with the other posters - as crowded as it was when we were there we never saw anyone behaving in the manner you described. I've never even seen people behaving that way during Halloween Horror Nights (not ragging the HHN crowd, but it's definitely a different mix than what you see at the Mousetrap!).

I'm sorry to hear your trip wasn't what you expected, but from what you posted it doesn't sound like you gave USO / IOA much of a chance. There are a lot of fun and exciting things to do throughout the entire resort area - too bad you weren't able to enjoy them.

BTW - I found your description of some of the other park guests to be extremely offensive and judgemental. People are not what they wear.

I hate to repeat nerdboyrockstar, but a little planning goes a long way. When did you arrive to the park? If you expect to not wait in long lines, the best way to go is to arrive at opening. Waiting in lines should be expected when visiting a park during the busy season in the middle of the day.

The way you described the typical parkgoer signaled some red flags for me. I'm sorry, but you'll pretty much find similar patronage at the Disney parks. I almost feel from reading your post that you came in a bit biased and was determined to find anything wrong.

I also don't understand the alcohol comment. As already stated, the only major central Florida theme park that does not serve alcohol is the MK. So yes, Epcot, AK, and MGM all do sell alcohol. And was stated SW and BGT do too (and they also give complintary alcoholic beverages out too..... once again I'm repating nerdboyrockstar, but he had good points.)

As somebody else asked, did you even try visiting USF? It is a different atmosphere and its not fair making a judgement like you have based on a short trip to just one of the parks.

Like I stated earlier, I get the feeling that you walked into the park with a strong bias and no matter what kind of day you had, your pre-trip opinion wasn't going to change. I honestly don't think you gave the park(s) a fair chance.

Lets start off first with this statement:

Universal is NOT Disney.

You aren't 'new' to this forum. As stated above a little research could have gone a long way. $2 more and you could have been at Valet Parking ($16/day) and been 1 walkway ride from Citywalk. I've seen plenty of people get 'carded' while walking around the park with alcoholic beverages. That's right, AFTER they have purchased them. I'm OK with people drinking in a theme park, it's not just a place for 'children' its a place for people to have fun. Security is there for when people get out of control. Though I could do without the trash that litters some attractions while the day goes on. Hulk comes to mind.

I can't comment on the guests that were using 'foul languange' but when groups of kids and young adults are around, that does happen, even in 'Disney'

While I agree with the limited choice of rides for younger/smaller children, those things aren't a suprise as height requirements are easily found with 'research'. My daughter is 3yo and 40" and she is limited to Spiderman, Storm Force, Flying Unicorn the Flyers and the rides in Suess Landing. You didn't even give 'the other park' a chance either. Your son missed out on Jimmy Neutron, Shrek, and the Woody Coaster.

You also went smack dab in the middle of a busy season, again, this is a subject that was already discussed and discussed on this site. I'm sorry you had such a bad time, but poor planning was part of your outcome.

I'm not waiting an hour for ANY ride, Universal, Disney or anywhere else.

I'd say replan your trip another time when you have read the comments from people that replied and use that to your advantage. FOTL and non-peak time will help you 'enjoy' the parks a little more.

thelionqueen said:
1. What I did notice with all this walking is the difference of patrons. Now, without trying to offend anyone, I am going to try to describe the guests as diplomatically as I can. Let's just say that I felt like I had walked into east LA. Many of the people were teenagers and 20-25. Many had foul mouths and were acting like gangsters. Using "street lingo" very loudly and offensively. I truly felt intimidated just with the type of visitors I was seeing.

2. After FINALLY getting into Islands of Adventure

3. We decided we HAD to go on Spiderman with our boys and ended up waiting well over an hour. The way the line spread out was very misleading and had I known how long the line was, I never would've ridden it.

4. The shops had almost NO ONE in them which indicated to me the level of quality overall of the park and it's merchandise.

5. Then I saw younger guests drinking alcohol. I think that reason may have been the one that pushed me over the edge. I firmly believe that alcohol should not be served at a theme park where children abound.

6. Basically, Universal was DIRTY, overpriced, unbelievably long lines, served alcohol and attracted a crowd that I didn't feel comfortable being around.

1. I've never encountered any of the 'east LA' types of punk teens at WDW. (sarcasm)

2. ever make the trek from the parking lot to the MK?

3. I'm sure the standby wait was posted on your right before you entered the line. if you didn't read it or the other wait boards throughout the park, I don't feel sorry for you in the least.

4. yes, Universal sells substandard merchandise in it's stores. (once again, that's sarcasm). take a trip to any WDW outlet store and you'll find mountains of unsold substandard merchandise.

5. don't ever visit EPCOT.

6. hope you had a good time.

I should've guessed that on the Universal Thread I was going to get flamed whether deserved or not...my fault.

However, I seriously have to wonder if I am the only one in the world, on the only day of the year saw this behavior. I respect others opinions, but expect the same in return. To reply to previous posters...info. is below.

1. Agreed upon more planning. I didn't plan any touring plan for Universal and probably should have. But no amount of planning would change the overall feel and clientele I observed @ Universal.

2. The only Disney Park I'm aware of that sells alcohol in kiosks is Epcot. I have never seen alcohol ever sold at any other park. Of course I am not a big drinker so I may be wrong on this.

3. We chose Islands of Adventure because a local had told us that was the place to go for young children. Her bad and mine apparently.

4. If you are offended by the way I described the clientele, so be it. Sorry, it it looks, acts, walks and most importantly TALKS like a thug, most likely it is a thug. I am sorry for the 1% or so that choose to act, talk, walk and behave like this and are perfect members of society.

5. I walked in with a VERY open mind and was looking forward to a new experience. I was not biased in any way.

6. I seriously doubt I am the only one who feels this way about Universal. Being on this thread was clearly a mistake. I truly value how all of you so diplomatically and tactfully voiced your opinions, but they are not mine.

AGAIN, this is my experience and I am certain there are hundreds of thousands of people who disagree with me. As an American citizen I am proud to live in a country where people are free to have and voice their own opinions. This is mine.

Sometimes you just get unlucky.

Here are my thoughts:

1) You must stay onsite to receive the best experience from Universal. IOA has always been one of the best theme parks in the world - so the big rides (Spiderman being one of the biggest) is bound to get lines. Disney do not offer the front of the line pass - and this is the difference for me. I don't stay at a hotel just for the sake of having a room - the only reason I do Universal Resort is for the front of the line (also having the parks onsite within walking distance is a nice add-on, too)

2) While it's a good park, it's not a great one for small kids. Their Seuss land is sweet, but it's not somewhere that a kid can spend all day.

3) Because of this, there are bound to be a large amount of teens and adults at the park. Sadly, bad language is everywhere. Nowadays, it's impossible to overt ones' ears from it.

4) Alcohol. This is difficult...Universal is a place to enjoy yourself. The majority of the population like alcohol to enjoy themselves (I don't, however). I am from England - where alcohol is very easy to come by...6 million people binge drink every week and alcohol is part of our daily life. So what if they sell it on site? They do it at McDonalds in Europe - and at Disneyland, Paris, I beleive. You don't have to drink it.

Give Universal another go! Stay onsite and take your time to enjoy all they have to offer!

We went to Universal 2 years ago the week of July 4th. The lines were horrendous, but we planned for that. Lots of research. I also agree I never seen the behavior you are talking about, nor any one with drinks in hand walking around. We had the 5 park pass. It included studios, IOA, Seaworld, Busch Gardens, and Wet n Wild.
We only spent 1/2 days at each Universal Park, maybe even less at the Studios.
We thought IOA was a very pretty park. It was themed really well. The rides were ok. We might return there on day.
The Studios we would never return too. We disliked it extremely. The rides were awful just our opinion. The park seemed so boring.
Busch Gardens, Seaworld, and Wet N Wild we spent all day at each one alone. They were all wonderful. Would not hesitate to return.
I thought the parking was very nice, and very well labeled in the characters. We never parked valet and it didn't seem that far to walk.
I thought the park was very clean considering all the guests in and out all day.
I do agree the parks are for older children, because there are not too many for the toddlers. Though Suess Landing was very nice.
I can not comment on the difference in Universal and Disney, because we have not been to Disney yet. We are leaving in a few weeks. I hope to love Disney as mich as everyone else on this site.
I hope people were not too harsh with you for stating your opinion. Everyone has their own mind, and to each his/her own. What is good for some isn't for others.

sorry you didn't like your experience. I would recommend at least trying the universal studios part.

also, only MK doesn't have alcohol - Epcot, AK, MGM, DTD, etc. all do.

thelionqueen said:
I should've guessed that on the Universal Thread I was going to get flamed whether deserved or not...my fault.

2. The only Disney Park I'm aware of that sells alcohol in kiosks is Epcot. I have never seen alcohol ever sold at any other park. Of course I am not a big drinker so I may be wrong on this.

4. If you are offended by the way I described the clientele, so be it. Sorry, it it looks, acts, walks and most importantly TALKS like a thug, most likely it is a thug. I am sorry for the 1% or so that choose to act, talk, walk and behave like this and are perfect members of society.

to start a thread in a Universal forum with a thumbs down symbol and a title like you did is going to raise eyebrows. to walk in and hurl nothing but insults isn't going to help. whether you believe flames are deserved or not is purely speculative. spend a little more time at WDW and you'll see alcohol readily available at all resorts, restaurants, and parks outside of the MK. I'm not insulted by your description of the park's 'clientele', but to state that IOA/US attracts a different level of crowds is absolutely laughable. the level of behavior I see at WDW isn't any better. parents that smack their kids around in front of the castle are 'thugs' in my book as well.

Sounds to me like you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder. Most of the responses to your post (most, not all) were actualy pretty mild and as I re-read them most also expressed the wish that you and your family would have had a better time than you did.

As I and several other stated, there is a great deal of variety at USO / IOA but your post makes it sound like after a few hours you threw your hands in the air and gave up without trying to find something that would have been better suited for your family... i.e. Suess Landing. Did you go there? There's not a single attraction there that isn't suited to a little one - it's charming!

As for your comment about other visitors...I stand by my reaction and I'm not one to offend easily. Life isn't black and white and I just think it's wrong to make sweeping generalizations about others based on their appearance. Are some people what they appear? Sure they are. But just as many aren't (the local priests who've been brought up on molestation charges come to mind).

Anyway, as I also said earlier, I'm sorry you didn't have a better experience. Sounds like a combination of poor planning and bad luck to me. I'm not a USO / IOA expert by any stretch - My husband and I are DVC members who visit the mousetrap annually in October - but we enjoy Universal and everything it has to offer.

Anyway, best wishes for you and your family. I hope you give the parks another shot when your kids are a little older because I'm sure they'd have a blast.

I've only visited US/IOA once, but it was one of the most fun-filled, enjoyable days of my life. The rides and attractions were great.

In planning for a return visit this fall, it's nice to be able to budget only $200 for 3 days at US/IOA vs. many hundreds more for Disney. The value can't be beat. Plus I believe they offer 10% off food and merchandise with AAA card.

Sorry to read your poor opinion of the parks. Hope others try it for themselves to see how much fun it is there. It is what you make of it.

1) You must stay onsite to receive the best experience from Universal.

I will disagree with this. If you have a smart touring plan and a tiny bit of patience, staying onsite isn't always necessary. It is VERY nice sure, (i've done it once) but don't think the enjoyment of the parks comes down to whether or not you are staying onsite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter