Our " first night" dinner at California Grill

Uncleromulus

Plain grey will be fine
Since I always seem to recommend CG as a perfect first night dining spot, it seemed only natural that Uncleromulus should follow his own advice. So at 8:00 on Saturday night, we found ourselves in the completely full (bar,lounge and restaurant!) California Grill. Only this time, there weren't an additional 100 people just standing around, lurking like hawks for that "chance" open lounge or bar seat. Thanks to the new entrance policy, you go to the podium area in the Contemporary Lobby and then take a private elevator up to the 15th floor. It seemed to work quite well-they communicate upstairs to be sure there is room if you want to just do the bar/lounge or to let them know there are dining tables for 2-6-etc needed. When you arrive upstairs and get off the elevator, no longer do you need to fight your way to the podium. They are waiting for you as you exit the elevator and lead you right to the table.
I think it's a positive step and has improved the CG dining experience considerably.
We had a table in the Wine Room that night and actually prefer that to the more noisy "open kitchen" area. It does have a view out the window (but not an actual MK view), but for that, all one needs to do is get up and go on the observation deck at fireworks time. The wine room seems just a little more peaceful, and a bit better suited for converstaion.
Before I forget--there were kids aplenty at CG that night, including at least 4 at the large table next to ours in the wine room. Most folks were dressed "resort casual" tho a fair # were in theme park casual. One fellow at a table behind us had on a hawaiin print shirt, white shorts and sandles. At another table were the only people we saw that night in sport coat/dresses. So basically, absent a bathing suit or tank-top--anything goes.
Our server for the evening was Donald and he did a fine job. A leisurely-paced meal with attentive service--exactly what we prefer. Mrs.U ordered a glass of reisling and later, a glass of a "blend" consisting of Sangiovese,Cabernet, and Merlot. Both excellent --Mrs. U is a big fan of the extensive wine list at CG. For me--beer. I had a Kirin to start, then an Anchor Steam. They also have Sierra Nevada,in addition to the "usual suspects". But at least that had MORE than the usual suspects, so that's a plus...
As I once mentioned I'm a fan of flatbread these days--for one thing, they can be shared, or if you are really hungry, they are quite filling for one person. Secondly, there are so many toppings that the list is almost endless. The Grill had 4 different ones on the menu, and I chose the BLT flatbread, with Nuskes bacon, heirloom tomatoe, and romaine lettuce. Plain, simple, but very tasty. Hit the spot!! Mrs. U went with an appetizer of summer melon, Urgelia Cheese and Serrano Ham. Light, refreshing and a perfect size for an appetizer.
Ordinarily at CG I'll find myself getting their signature Filet, or the pork that they do so well. But this time they had sablefish on the menu and having never had it, I gave it a try. THis was Black sablefish, served with corn-russet poato hash. The fish filet was served with the top skin "on"--a presentation I'm not fond of. The fish itself reminded me of Rockfish (or maybe perch) in taste and consistency. Sweet, and not terribly "firm". So while it was good, it's not something I'd order again.
Mrs U also had fish--for her, the Halibut, which came with basmati rice, cucumber salad, and spicy Hong Kong vinaigrette. Halibut is--well---halibut. In this case, a pretty basic fish filet made better by the tasty preparation. The cucumber was especially in evidence. So again, something she liked that night, but probably wouldn't order again.
Desserts were excellent--for me "'Melon World", which had watermelon, honeydew, and cantaloupe, served with cantaloupe nectar and melon sorbet. No missing the taste of melon with this!!--very light and refreshing and a nice size portion as well. Mrs U had a poached pear cake topped with almond ice cream and spiced pear liquor. She loved it!!
Finally, two coffees and the end of another good meal at CG. And leaving the restaurant is now a pleasure--no more pushing and shoving when 40 people try to squeeze into one elevator. For one thing no more of the "just fireworks" crowd. And since there is a private elevator going up, so too is there one going down.
No longer a 15 minute wait for that stray elevator to make it to the 15th floor!!
One more comment--fireworks. When the fireworks were about to start, we were just about to get our entrees. Donald offered to hold them up while we went to the observation deck. When the show was over, the entrees came to the table, fresh and hot.

Next review--Flying Fish

The great review and explanation of the new seating policy.I had heard of it didn't know how it worked.::yes:: :wave2:

Another nice, thourough review - I appreciate the time you put into these.
We are planning dinner at CG for my birthday & am looking forward to it even more based on your review & the new policy in effect.

Thanks for the reviews so far.
We are considering CG for our anniversary dinner this year, so it was nice to hear you had a very good experience there. :D

I am going to eat there my last night in Disney and you have excited more about going there for the end o my vacation. thatnks so much for your detail and taking all that time for everyone to read. It was a perfect review :D

Another yummy review. You're making it awfully hard for me to make my upcoming choices!

I'm glad to hear that the new seating policy is working out so well. I know that some people aren't too happy about it (basically just going to the CG for the fireworks then leaving), but I for one can't stand spending that much cash on a meal and having a billion people milling about. that's enough f my vent.
we've never eaten in the wine room. how does it differ from the main room? is that the one that's to your left as you walk in from the observation deck?
also glad to hear that they still had anchor steam on the menu. good beer in wdw is hard to find. i still can't figure out how they can have beer on tap in a cart in Germany, but not at the CG or Citricos.

Thanks for the review. We have eaten at CG on our last 2 visits and just loved it. I love the new policy they have now.

I'm going to have DH read this one--he's the fish eater in the family, and you and he have very similar tasstes in food--thanks!

Anne

ham53:
Good point about the beer!!
I imagine it's mostly that other than a handful of folks like us, almost no one would order it even IF they did have good beer. The overwhelming majority are into Michelob "Ultra" these days--. As an example at Jiko, they used to have "Safari Amber" on draft. Was there about 2 years or so, then GONE. I once asked our server why they did that. Answer--nobody hardly ordered any, plus they wanted more room for for wine.
The wine room is an "enclosed" area, reached when you enter the restaurant, walk all the way back past the bar and open kitchen, then on the left. Has about 10-12 tables and can be closed off for private parties. So named because they have some wine storage tables/shelves in the room. It just seems a bit more quiet than the main area, but dosen't have that MK view that many crave--.

We have never eaten at CG but are planning on it this Dec. Our PS are at 7:15, but wishes is not until 10 p.m. that week. Can we leave our table after the meal, but "linger" on the observation deck while waiting for wishes or must we leave the restaurant since we will be done with our meal? I guess we could get a drink at the bar but will have our 2 kids w/us and they may not care for that too much....or can you "re-enter" after eating...say we took the kids to the arcade area for a bit and then rode back up..if we show our receipt that we had just dined there do you think that would be allowed?

TIA,

Pam

I understand from previous posts that you can re-enter simply by showing your dinner receipt.

We just dined there on Sat evening and were told by our waiter (
Gary, the greatest) that we could return about 15 minutes before the fireworks and show our receipt from dinner and we would be allowed back in to view the fireworks.

We had a fabulous dinner and the service was superb. Gary told us they are a very "wine friendly" restaurant. They will bring you several wines to taste before ordering.

You have to plan on spending at least 1 1/2 hours. We were there 2 hours and if we weren't leaving the next day early, we would have lingered longer. Gary encouraged us to stay as long as we wanted. He said "I'm on your time."

This was a delightful dining experience.

I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Barb A, do you know what time CG closes, I have PS for 6:30 PM, are they going to be rushing us out? :D

Thanks for the review. My PS date is coming up & I think you may have talked me into CG for our first night.

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter