Overindulgence in the Parks

sophiev411

Earning My Ears
We’ve all been there, right? I know the internet is flooded with strategies and guides to eat your way around the world at EPCOT while still having room for everything, but sometimes food is just so good! I know personally my eyes have a tendency to be bigger than my stomach, so I am no stranger to overdoing it in the parks.

I want to know, what is your absolute worst moment of overindulgence at Disney? What dining experience, restaurant or just a good old fashioned day of snacking, was so good that it had you waddling through the park trying not to explode? Have you ever had to cut a day short because you just ate too much?

I guess I should start this off with what made me want to ask! This is kind of a long story but I think it’s so funny so I just had to share, hopefully you can have a laugh at my expense!

Recently I had a wonderful trip to EPCOT with my husband and some friends, and since we’re all huge fans of all the eats we decided to take a stab at eating around the world. Now, we’ve done this before and we know all about the proper strategies to pace yourself and make it through everything, but with all the new food items since the last time we had been I kind of threw those rules out the window.

We also had dinner plans with my husband’s parents, who made reservations at Via Napoli for that evening. Our plan was to eat around the world, take an hour or two to digest and walk around with the friends that were with us, and then meet up with his parents for dinner.

It all sounded good on paper, and we started off strong. I won’t bore you with the details of everything we tried, but as we ate I started getting greedy; while we were splitting dishes so we’d all only need to have a bite or two, I was polishing things off for the group, finishing up what was left regardless of how many “bites” it was. At several stops I also ordered a separate serving for myself so I wouldn’t have to share, which was not a good idea.

When we finished with the world showcase I was ready to blow. While everyone talked about how full and satisfied they were, I was lamenting about all the extra portions I had gobbled up.

As we set off to walk off our feast, we realized that it had taken us longer than we thought to get around to every country. That meant that instead of having an hour or so to digest, we had to head straight over to Italy for dinner. We walked (I waddled) to Italy to meet up with my in-laws, and my plan was to just get something light or share with my husband.

Fast forward and I was leaned back in my chair, hands clutching a now very round stomach, groaning like an old man with an empty plate of Tortellini in front of me. It was so embarrassing, but at the time I didn’t even care because my gluttony was being punished with the mother of all stomach aches!

When we finally left I made it about 30 seconds before I had to flop onto a bench, and that’s where I stayed for the next half hour absolutely stuffed and miserable! Eventually we made it back to our hotel where my wonderful husband was able to find me some tums, but they only helped a little because my pain was from being too full rather than just indigestion.

Anyways, since that happened recently it made me wonder if anyone else has ever had any experiences like that! If anything hopefully you all can laugh at my experience and learn a lesson from my greed! I want to say I learned my lesson, but only time will tell!

We’ve all been there, right? I know the internet is flooded with strategies and guides to eat your way around the world at EPCOT while still having room for everything, but sometimes food is just so good! I know personally my eyes have a tendency to be bigger than my stomach, so I am no stranger to overdoing it in the parks.

I want to know, what is your absolute worst moment of overindulgence at Disney? What dining experience, restaurant or just a good old fashioned day of snacking, was so good that it had you waddling through the park trying not to explode? Have you ever had to cut a day short because you just ate too much?
I think if would be easier to list the times I didn't waddle out of the parks.

I got the cinnamon roll from Gaston's and I ate the whole thing by myself. I don't normally eat that much "bread" in one sitting and I was paying for it for the next few hours! But it was so good ( I got a good one that wasn't dried out all around the outside!)!!! :)

We liked eating at Germany.... as years went by... The last time we ate there and it was the last time we ate there being hot outside and cool inside we overate and felt sick for hours after. Not that I do not like the food or the concept just can't eat at Buffets anymore as we find we overeat although sometimes even a normal entree at a TS can fee that way. Park days lately we mostly stick with CS and eat when we are hungry. Resort days which is a good amount of our trip we will eat at one TS around lunch and maybe a snack later. We mostly have a light breakfast in our room. Just can not eat much especially when you will be out in the heat for hours after.

Mine was a few years ago at DHS. We had the Deluxe Dining Plan and ate at Sci-Fi. DH and I had the appetizer sampler, each had a huge burger with onion rings and then desert. It was a really hot day. After we ate, we pretty much had to leave the park because we were so stuffed and couldn't deal with it in the heat.

Back in the free dining days we'd have two doozies per trip, Biergarten and Raglan Road.
On the Biergarten night we would just roll ourselves out and sit at one of the pillars in Italy to wait for Illuminations. That was about as far as we could manage.
At Raglan Road, a full meal and a whole bread pudding was just too much, but it all tasted so good that I wanted to eat it all. When we've gone more recently without the DDP we split the dessert and didn't get quite so overstuffed.

During a visit to Flying Fish I had asked questions about the Caprese Salad and the Salmon. Evidently the Server thought I had requested both, because after I finished the Caprese, and was full, the Salmon showed up. I just couldn't turn it away and ate it as well - I think I was still full the following day.

Only at two places: Liberty Tree Tavern and Whispering Canyon Cafe. I hate wasting food, and unlike at buffets where you can choose to only take as much as you'll finish, LTT and WCC bring out big platters to share. In both cases it was just me, my mom, and my two small kids, and we were served enough to feed a pack of hungry college football players. I felt bad leaving so much food on the platters at the end of the meal, but one more bite and I would have exploded like the guy in the Monty Python sketch.

Ohana back in the day when it was really good. Tried to pace ourselves but failed. Then the bread pudding came and you have to eat that! Could barely walk out of the restaurant lol.

A cautionary tale. And one of everlasting and enduring love. Back in the 70s my husband and I were dating. We went to DW for the first time. We did the luau at Poly and I had way too many maitais. We then went to the magic kingdom with a lot of popcorn and assorted other crap to eat. And rides that were spinning. We caught the tram back to our car. About half way to our stop I realized I was going to throw up. I started to turn to throw up over the back when it just spewed out, over a small child sitting next to me. The mother was in horror as was grandma sitting across from him who started dabbing him with a tissue. All I could say was, I’m sorry, I’m so sorry Over and over. We get to our stop. I keep apologizing as I get out on one side and my then boyfriend exits on the other side. Through all this, he never once acknowledged he knew me. The tram pulls away snd we are facing each other in the parking lot. I’m starting to cry but then We both start laughing hysterically. Hopefully that small child wasn’t too traumatized.
We lived together almost 10 years snd will celebrate our 40th anniversary next year.
And that, ladies snd gentlemen, is true
love.
And if by chance you were that small child, I once again apologize snd hope you were able to enjoy DW again without constantly looking over your shoulder for that crazy drunk lady.

Only at two places: Liberty Tree Tavern and Whispering Canyon Cafe. I hate wasting food, and unlike at buffets where you can choose to only take as much as you'll finish, LTT and WCC bring out big platters to share. In both cases it was just me, my mom, and my two small kids, and we were served enough to feed a pack of hungry college football players. I felt bad leaving so much food on the platters at the end of the meal, but one more bite and I would have exploded like the guy in the Monty Python sketch.
Same here on the family-style restaurants like Whispering Canyon, Chef Mickey, Ohana, and Garden Grill. I'm always extremely stuffed afterward.

It was an evening on our last trip. I can't remember what I had eaten that day but nothing too much/rich and I felt fine. Then we (5 of us) went to the River Roost bar at POR to hear “Ye Haa” Bob and have a drink/coffee. I noticed a dessert on the menu that looked good - Hummingbird Cake. We ordered 2 pieces to share and they were tremendous! I ate more than half of one myself and felt pretty full when we got back to the room. I felt gross all night and skipped our morning plans - actually begged them all to leave me in my misery!!

When I started planning my upcoming trip I thought of that cake and decided to have it (only half - my husband liked it too) *instead* of dinner one night, perhaps earlier in the trip when I wasn't so full...but it is no longer on the menu. Alas!!

1664371038451.png

A cautionary tale. And one of everlasting and enduring love. Back in the 70s my husband and I were dating. We went to DW for the first time. We did the luau at Poly and I had way too many maitais. We then went to the magic kingdom with a lot of popcorn and assorted other crap to eat. And rides that were spinning. We caught the tram back to our car. About half way to our stop I realized I was going to throw up. I started to turn to throw up over the back when it just spewed out, over a small child sitting next to me. The mother was in horror as was grandma sitting across from him who started dabbing him with a tissue. All I could say was, I’m sorry, I’m so sorry Over and over. We get to our stop. I keep apologizing as I get out on one side and my then boyfriend exits on the other side. Through all this, he never once acknowledged he knew me. The tram pulls away snd we are facing each other in the parking lot. I’m starting to cry but then We both start laughing hysterically. Hopefully that small child wasn’t too traumatized.
We lived together almost 10 years snd will celebrate our 40th anniversary next year.
And that, ladies snd gentlemen, is true
love.
And if by chance you were that small child, I once again apologize snd hope you were able to enjoy DW again without constantly looking over your shoulder for that crazy drunk lady.
As horrendous as that sounds for that small child (and you), I laughed out loud. Now just don't throw up on me or it won't be a laughing matter. All those things you did were just a recipe for disaster!

Homecomin. We love it but do you think we would’ve learned our lesson to split some meals because of the portion size? No

Next year maybe we will be better lol

I will eat my weight in fried chicken at Hoop De Doo. Our table generally looks like a scene in a movie in the front of a carnivore's cave, with bones scattered everywhere. I almost hurt myself last time. I could barely bend to sit down on the bus ride back to to the resort.

Another time, at Tusker House, the roasted chicken and roasted salmon was far beyond good. The rest of the food was borderline atrocious, so I made it my mission to teach Mickey that I will eat ALL of the chicken and salmon at the buffet, and drink ALL of the POG juice, too. It took about 5 hours for me to stop thinking about hurling if I even saw someone with a snack. That salmon was soooooo good tho.

Finally, back in the EMM days at Hollyweird, I was able to tamp down 4 bowls of shrimp and grits and a few orders of chicken tenders and enough of that custard french toast to take down a woolly mammoth. That was the trip I gained 4 lbs in 5 days, while walking 7 miles per day in 85 degree weather, and taking a decent dip in the pool every day, too. That math just doesn't add up.

Homecomin. We love it but do you think we would’ve learned our lesson to split some meals because of the portion size? No

Next year maybe we will be better lol

We will be doing Homecomin' for the first time next month and I already told DD we are sharing. If not we will be a hot mess. lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter