Own Marriott Waiohai (Poipu Beach, Kauai) want to stay at Boardwalk Villas: How tough

Bishope2

Earning My Ears
Greetings,

We are purchasing a timeshare on Kauai at Marriotts Waiohai Resort on Poipu Beach. According to the salesman, the resort we are looking at to purchase is a "5 Star, High Value" trade. Interval website lists it as a "red week exchange, 1-52" If I were to give up a week to Interval how tough would it be to get a week (2 BDRM/2 BATH unit) at the Boardwalk Villa's? Would I have my choice of the week or would I get whats left? We are new to the timeshare experience. I have not heard good things about RCI (i.e. not all red weeks created equal) I hope Interval is different.

Also, can members of Interval exchange with each other and how does that work?

Thanks

Greetings,

We are purchasing a timeshare on Kauai at Marriotts Waiohai Resort on Poipu Beach. According to the salesman, the resort we are looking at to purchase is a "5 Star, High Value" trade. Interval website lists it as a "red week exchange, 1-52" If I were to give up a week to Interval how tough would it be to get a week (2 BDRM/2 BATH unit) at the Boardwalk Villa's? Would I have my choice of the week or would I get whats left? We are new to the timeshare experience. I have not heard good things about RCI (i.e. not all red weeks created equal) I hope Interval is different.

Also, can members of Interval exchange with each other and how does that work?

Thanks
For a 2 BR, dramatically tough, if you are not flexible to somewhat off season, essentially no chance. DVC deposits few 2 BR and mostly off season. But it does happen at times, even for BCV, BWV and VWL.

It sounds like you need to learn more about what you're buying and getting yourself in to. Buy HI if you want to stay there but buying there with the idea of trading very often is not a smart choice. Once can also buy resale and save quite a bit of money, even for HI. It is not worth buying for the points, don't let them con you into that one. If you haven't completed the deal or you are within your cancellation window, I would put things on hold until you truly understand the ins and outs.

To deal with the specifics of your trade questions, 5* and red week means essentially nothing, or at least, almost nothing with II. HI will have good trade power but it will be overkill for the things you can get on trade plus the units there are not lockoff's and are very expensive both up front and in yearly fees. One red week is not the same as another and you don't want it to be. II is not a first come, first serve system, it works on trade power but many other factors as well. You want to learn the system and put yourself in a position to move ahead of most all others and/or to trade with things that cost much less. As a rule, a good resort to own to use and a good resort for trading have little in common. To use, you want something you can't get otherwise and where you'd pay big bucks to rent something equivalent. To trade, you want something relatively inexpensive to buy with lower than average yearly fees, preferably in a lockoff so you can get two, or even 3, trades out of each week of ownership. But something that will trade almost as well as a top resort like HI.

While II is different than RCI, it is very similar in many ways. My feeling, others look at it differently, is that II has better resorts and better availability in those resorts compared to RCI weeks. RCI does have more resorts total and you can plan better given that more deposits are 2 years out. II is more strict on trading like for like so it is a little harder to trade up with II than RCI. RCI points is totally different but that's a good topic for a different BBS.

One thing you may want to consider if you decide to proceed retail is buying two different Marriott's every other year (EOY) or even if you go resale. Last I heard you could buy two this way retail for 50% of the EY price where EOY properties are normally 60%. That way you have two home resorts you can reserve directly without exchanging.

I reccommend you listen to Dean on this one! He is a very wise many when it comes to timeshares and exchanges.:thumbsup2

Bishope2,

Have you gone to tug2.net? That is Timeshare User's Group. Their website has a wealth of info about timesharing. They have a message board with a Marriott specific community. Waiohai is a wonderful property. We have stayed there twice. If you are buying to use that property most of the time, you will be very happy. However, if you are buying mostly to trade, there are better options. For instance, Waiohai does not have "lock-off" capability. The annual fees are high which makes it an expensive trader. Being an owner of 3 Marriott properties and DVC, I would recommend that you rescind if possible and research your options (including buying Waiohai on the resale market). If you are past the point of rescission, then enjoy what you have and spend some time researching your options.

Best of luck to you.

Lisa

Don't forget there are other costs you might not have considered.

1. To trade via II you must be an II member. Membership runs about $90/year.

2. When you trade something, there is a trading fee. It's around $90 for a domestic trade, and about $130 for international trades.

3. When you trade into Disney, I think Disney charges a fee also (maybe someone else can confirm)

On the plus side, if you do become a member of II, there are other benefits such as purchasing Getaway vacations at some reasonable rates. (These are often units someone owns that you can get for a week for simply the cost of the dues, or sometimes even less, depending a lot on the resort itself)

I appreciate all of the replys. It is amazing of the "fee's" involved in this process. We buy a week or two. If I choose not to use it I can turn it into Marriott for Rewards points. Great idea except there is a fee for doing that.
I buy from Marriott and they put in with Interval. There is a fee for that. I trade, there is a fee, etc and so on. Then we have the "ol'maintenance fee" that applies every year or so.

Anyhow, I went to that website tug2.net and signed up for it's board. That should prove to be interesting. Anymore info would be appreciated.

Don't forget there are other costs you might not have considered.

1. To trade via II you must be an II member. Membership runs about $90/year.

2. When you trade something, there is a trading fee. It's around $90 for a domestic trade, and about $130 for international trades.

3. When you trade into Disney, I think Disney charges a fee also (maybe someone else can confirm)

On the plus side, if you do become a member of II, there are other benefits such as purchasing Getaway vacations at some reasonable rates. (These are often units someone owns that you can get for a week for simply the cost of the dues, or sometimes even less, depending a lot on the resort itself)
I think the current yearly membership fee is $84. The Marriott to Marriott trade fee is usually $89, other domestic is $135 & Intl $149. Guest Certificate fee is $39. For the on property DVC resorts there is an additional $95 resort services fee, but not for VB or HH.

Still easier, better and cheaper than owning and trading DVC in almost every case.

I appreciate all of the replys. It is amazing of the "fee's" involved in this process. We buy a week or two. If I choose not to use it I can turn it into Marriott for Rewards points. Great idea except there is a fee for doing that.
I buy from Marriott and they put in with Interval. There is a fee for that. I trade, there is a fee, etc and so on. Then we have the "ol'maintenance fee" that applies every year or so.

Anyhow, I went to that website tug2.net and signed up for it's board. That should prove to be interesting. Anymore info would be appreciated.
As I noted above, buying for the points is not a smart move in all but a very limited set of circumstances. Namely those who have other substantial sources of Marriott rewards points AND will use those point for big trips to 6 and 7 category hotels that are expensive.

It sounds like you have not yet committed, if that's correct, spend 6 months or more educating yourself as to what's best for you and your family. I love timesharing, esp DVC and Marriott, but you'll be a lot happier and better served if you do it right up front.

Thanks once again for all of the replies and positive information. The salesman, who I haven't spoke to since we left Kauai two weeks ago, left an interesting message yesterday. He said I am asking more questions than his typical timeshare customer/owner. I guess that is a good thing. I know when I spoke to him in person two weeks ago, he did ask the question, "Why aren't you buying now? You seem to know alot about this." Well, guess what? I never buy anything on impulse. I believe that is how they get a majority of their customers. The ones who fall in love with the place. Because once you sign on that dotted line, your comitted no matter what they say regarding the seven day time frame of a mind change. HEck, I am on the east coast. If I had signed on the dotted line say on a Thursday morning, we didn't get home until Sunday afternoon. Then put one's work schedule into the mix, you can't back out of the deal.

I love doing research, which I have done over time. If we decide to purchase, it will be within the next month or so.

you're considering buying directly from the resort??? Make sure you check re-sale prices first. You can likely get the same exact thing for half the cost.

Thanks once again for all of the replies and positive information. The salesman, who I haven't spoke to since we left Kauai two weeks ago, left an interesting message yesterday. He said I am asking more questions than his typical timeshare customer/owner. I guess that is a good thing. I know when I spoke to him in person two weeks ago, he did ask the question, "Why aren't you buying now? You seem to know alot about this." Well, guess what? I never buy anything on impulse. I believe that is how they get a majority of their customers. The ones who fall in love with the place. Because once you sign on that dotted line, your comitted no matter what they say regarding the seven day time frame of a mind change. HEck, I am on the east coast. If I had signed on the dotted line say on a Thursday morning, we didn't get home until Sunday afternoon. Then put one's work schedule into the mix, you can't back out of the deal.

I love doing research, which I have done over time. If we decide to purchase, it will be within the next month or so.
Sounds like your salesperson is pressuring you with a few tactics. Take your time and make sure what you're getting into, esp for this much money. I'm not sure a month is enough time though, I doubt it would be for most fairly savvy timeshare people in this situation and it sounds like you're still learning about timeshares, Marriott and exchanges.

One other item I don't think we mentioned above is if you only buy one week, you likely won't be able to reserve the best weeks for HI given the way the Marriott reservation system works. No Xmas, Feb, March or mid summer for you with 1 week most years in all likelihood. If you buy 2 AND reserve them concurrently or consecutively, your chances would be better but you'd pay A LOT more $$$. Again, I concur with the resale options, you should be able to get out about 60-65% of retail and all you'd give up is the points option no matter what your sales person might say.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter