Palo dress code question

xiphoid76

DIS Veteran
Excited that we are finally platinum and get our first Palo experience coming up. I now read they have a dress code where it says no tennis shoes. I don’t know exactly what they mean. Is that the same as sneakers?

I have some nice Nike running shoes and some run Disney sneakers. Are they good? Hope so, we don’t dress up any more than that - very happy they allow jeans! We have avoided because I despise dressing up - all for other people doing that if they enjoy, but not for us. If we are too casual for Palo I would like to know ahead of time.

Excited that we are finally platinum and get our first Palo experience coming up. I now read they have a dress code where it says no tennis shoes. I don’t know exactly what they mean. Is that the same as sneakers?

I have some nice Nike running shoes and some run Disney sneakers. Are they good? Hope so, we don’t dress up any more than that - very happy they allow jeans! We have avoided because I despise dressing up - all for other people doing that if they enjoy, but not for us. If we are too casual for Palo I would like to know ahead of time.
Time was "tennis shoes" was the same thing as "sneakers".

Now, with the advent of the myriad forms of "sports footwear" "sneakers" in one country is the same thing as "jogging shoes" in another. While "tennis shoes" would be the same as "athletic shoe".

Basically, IMO, they mean footwear that is other than a "dress shoe" (whatever that is).

I would say running shoes, run Disney sneakers would be on the "no" list.

No running shoes, no sneakers, no tennis shoes. If it's something that you would wear for athletics, then it is too casual for Palo.
It’s funny that what is considered too casual for Palo are probably more expensive than ‘dress shoes’ :) My run Disney sneakers and Nikes cost around 200 dollars each, I can find ‘dress shoes’ for 30-40 dollars at DSW.

Plus I don’t wear sneakers for athletics, but for every day wear. But I am not athletic by any definition :)

Oh well, not sure what to do. I don’t see myself buying a pair of shoes just to go to a restaurant once. Might just wear my fanciest sneakers and if they don’t allow me in will go get room service.

It’s funny that what is considered too casual for Palo are probably more expensive than ‘dress shoes’ :) My run Disney sneakers and Nikes cost around 200 dollars each, I can find ‘dress shoes’ for 30-40 dollars at DSW.

Plus I don’t wear sneakers for athletics, but for every day wear. But I am not athletic by any definition :)

Oh well, not sure what to do. I don’t see myself buying a pair of shoes just to go to a restaurant once. Might just wear my fanciest sneakers and if they don’t allow me in will go get room service.
You may be able to borrow footware at Palo. Not something I would do, but I think I have read here at some point.

I've seen a young man quickly changing his footwear from sneakers to maître d' provided loafers while his blushing companion urged him to get a move on. Yeah, they're pretty serious about the dress code. Odd thing was that he was wearing a suit otherwise and the sneakers looked to be rather old and tatty. :confused:

As an idea, you could drop $10-$20 for an inexpensive pair of dress shoes (at Walmart, Target, Payless), then donate them to a charitable organization like Dress for Success when you're done. Get a nice meal, help someone else out afterward. Win-win.

I don't know if they have a separate pool of reservations for Platinum members or not, but if not, and you go in hoping they'll let you violate their rules, you could be taking up a slot that someone would happily dress up for, but can't get because they're Silver or newbie.

As an idea, you could drop $10-$20 for an inexpensive pair of dress shoes (at Walmart, Target, Payless), then donate them to a charitable organization like Dress for Success when you're done. Get a nice meal, help someone else out afterward. Win-win.

I don't know if they have a separate pool of reservations for Platinum members or not, but if not, and you go in hoping they'll let you violate their rules, you could be taking up a slot that someone would happily dress up for, but can't get because they're Silver or newbie.

Nope. No separate pool that I know of. Platinum members still have to make reservations - so on a Platinum-heavy cruise they could be hard to come by.

And I agree. If you don't want to abide by the rules, don't waste the spot.

I've seen a young man quickly changing his footwear from sneakers to maître d' provided loafers while his blushing companion urged him to get a move on. Yeah, they're pretty serious about the dress code. Odd thing was that he was wearing a suit otherwise and the sneakers looked to be rather old and tatty. :confused:
It's nice that they had the loaner shoes. Every trip when I unpack, I always discover something I thought I packed or should have packed got left behind at home. His sneakers may have been last resort, not intentional.

No need to take it really “dressy” with shiny cordovans or tassels. There are fairly casual loafers that will also work, especially since they’d look new and not worn out — topsiders or boat shoes, something like that.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the replies. I think we will give up our reservations. Free Palo dinner isn’t worth it for us to have to buy shoes. Plus we love the main dining rooms, so don’t see the need for Palo - we just aren’t fancy people :)

You don't need to spend $200 on new shoes, just go to Walmart and buy a pair of men's loafers for $20-$30! Palo is amazing and I wouldn't pass up on a free dinner lol :)

Thanks for the replies. I think we will give up our reservations. Free Palo dinner isn’t worth it for us to have to buy shoes. Plus we love the main dining rooms, so don’t see the need for Palo - we just aren’t fancy people :)

Don't give up your reservation! You can find an inexpensive pair of shoes. I have worn flat sandals into Palo many times. Target sells them for $15(less on sale)!
You can find Mens shoes at Walmart or Target for $20.

Its an incredible meal, even more incredible when its FREE!

Enjoy

I have worn flat sandals into Palo many times.

This was going to be my suggestion. Nice sandals are a great alternative. I have a pair of very supportive yet nice looking sandals (Vionic) that are my staples during the summer months.

It's nice that they had the loaner shoes. Every trip when I unpack, I always discover something I thought I packed or should have packed got left behind at home. His sneakers may have been last resort, not intentional.
Good point. On this cruise, my husband accidentally left behind his collared shirts and had to buy one in the gift shop for our own brunch.

The shoe question is a little puzzling however, especially for women. Can you wear a cute slip on Sketchers shoe or is that considered a sneaker? A woman from church wore Crocs to Palo! If it doesn’t have laces, is it still a sneaker? I’m not trying to start a whole thing here, it just seems kinda of a vague shoe dress code.

I would just bite the bullet and get something appropriate to wear. Personally, I feel like Palo at least merits a shirt and slacks. DH wears shirt and slacks for brunch, suit and tie for dinner. We usually see a few couples like us, most are more casual, but the ones in jeans and tees at dinner really stick out. We dress up because that is how we would dress at home, and the enforced dress code in most of the true fine dining restaurants available to us. We do most of our fine dining in New Orleans and most will not let you in the door without jacket and tie for dinner.

I hate to see the devolution of dress codes, and it isn't just Disney, its everywhere. It's sad that we are getting to the point where dressing appropriately for the event/ venue is no longer seen as the polite/necessary thing to do. We have seen a LOT of tourists turned away from fine dining restaurants in jeans or shorts. I don't understand why they thought it was appropriate in the first place? If the place has upscale decor, white linen table cloths, crystal and silver, and a doorman and servers in tails, does anyone really think their jorts are ok? I really think that taking the time to dress appropriately conveys a respect for the experience, and it truly does effect people's behavior and perception.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter