Palo dress code question

In my opinion, it is sad that people will spend thousands of dollars to go on a cruise, but when you ask them to put on clothes a little nicer than jeans and tennis shoes, they get all up in arms. Simple solution, if you don't want to adhere to the dress, don't book a meal there. Palo is hardly a strict dress code but it will become pointless if DCL stops enforcing it. At that point, they should just close Palo and turn the space into a flip flops, tennis shoes, jeans, shorts, tank top friendly buffet for the masses.

In my opinion, it is sad that people will spend thousands of dollars to go on a cruise, but when you ask them to put on clothes a little nicer than jeans and tennis shoes, they get all up in arms.
That's what's kind of mystifying to me, also.

Time was (remember the "Love Boat"?) that part of the ambiance of cruising included dressing up for dinner (every meal) as well as sharing dinner tables with others.

I think a nice compromise is having specific formal/semi-formal nights. As well as the extra pay venues - keep them fancy. If someone doesn't want to dress for the occasion, they don't need to eat there.

Yes, I think it changes the "feel" of the venue when a person in shorts & tshirt shows up in a nice restaurant to dine. And, while it won't change the service/food when I dine there, it's just not as special an event.

In my opinion, it is sad that people will spend thousands of dollars to go on a cruise, but when you ask them to put on clothes a little nicer than jeans and tennis shoes, they get all up in arms. Simple solution, if you don't want to adhere to the dress, don't book a meal there. Palo is hardly a strict dress code but it will become pointless if DCL stops enforcing it. At that point, they should just close Palo and turn the space into a flip flops, tennis shoes, jeans, shorts, tank top friendly buffet for the masses.
It has nothing to do with cost. We get a free Palo as one of our perks of being platinum this time and want to try it out. We can afford to wear dress shoes, I am just questioning the validity of it when my sneakers are much nicer than most dress shoes. Of course the dress code says tennis shoes and not sneakers so hopefully I will be good.
I never will understand why what someone wears will diminish the dining experience for other people. Just don’t look under the tablecloth of the table next to you :)

It has nothing to do with cost. We get a free Palo as one of our perks of being platinum this time and want to try it out. We can afford to wear dress shoes, I am just questioning the validity of it when my sneakers are much nicer than most dress shoes. Of course the dress code says tennis shoes and not sneakers so hopefully I will be good.
I never will understand why what someone wears will diminish the dining experience for other people. Just don’t look under the tablecloth of the table next to you :)

The shoes you wore with the big bad wolf (?) , black loafer, are nice. So are the black shoes at the Mall of America photo. Give it a try. If you and your partner look the part, you'll enjoy the experience at a level like never before. It' a jump, but just try it once.

There was a couple on our last cruise. Both dresses impeciblily at Palo. His partner would turn 21 at midnight. The waiter congratulated him but said he was 20 until midnight. We overheard it. We paid for a bottle of champagne for them to celebrate at midnight. The maitre'd said the next day they were surrised and enjoyed the champagne. Give it a try.

I might make some people mad here. You should be mad at the person working the desk letting people in. If they aren’t making sure people follow rules then that’s disney’s Fault for that worker not enforcing the rules. I have wore black dress pants or blue jeans to palo brunch with dr Martin shoes that were black. When it comes to shirts I have worn a polo shirt, and now I wear a Hawaiian shirt, because it meets the requirements of being a collared shirt in good condition with no bad things on it. So I see it as wear what it is required and don’t worry bout everyone else. That’s the problem people worry bout things they don’t like and have no control over. And then complain bout it.

Cole Haan oxfords.jpg As a compromise with my husband, he invested in these from Cole Haan. They look like an oxford but wear like a sneaker. He wore them for formal night and for Palo brunch and dinner. They are on the pricey side, but they are also very lightweight. He said they were the most comfortable "dress" shoes he's ever worn.

View attachment 326120 As a compromise with my husband, he invested in these from Cole Haan. They look like an oxford but wear like a sneaker. He wore them for formal night and for Palo brunch and dinner. They are on the pricey side, but they are also very lightweight. He said they were the most comfortable "dress" shoes he's ever worn.

Ooh, have to look into those Cole Haans for my DH. Look sharp and feel good. He could use them for many "good" occasions and still feel comfortable. Thank you @Chirple for the information.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter