Palo dress code question

They may or may not allow them. I brought a pair of Olukai slip on shoes for DH to wear on our cruise in March. They were not sneakers nor tennis shoes (but they had rubber bottoms) and we were told they were a no-go ( I really wish they would be a little more specific than no "tennis shoes" as it's very confusing to me. If they would even state "dress shoes required"). They gave my husband loaner shoes to wear. They were fine. He literally wore them for the 90 minutes we had our dinner, took them off and then we returned them the next day.

Thanks. That is what I am afraid of. DH has large feet so I am not sure if they would have loaners in his size. I guess we will pack what we usually do.

I dressed up for dinner in the MDR every night in a pretty dress and nice shoes, and dressed my kids in polo shirts or button-downs and khakis and nice leather sandals, because it gave it a special occasion feel. I never once noticed what anyone else in the MDR was wearing--they could have been in bathing suits for all I care. Dressing up makes me happy, but I know others hate it or are uncomfortable, so live and let live in my view. BUT.....where there is a policy, and it is enforced, you are stuck, I am afraid. Buy some cheap dress shoes, then toss them in a trash can to lighten your suitcase on the way home.

It's been proven over and over in psychology experiments that ,for good or ill, what people are wearing often effects not only their behavior, but the behavior of others towards them. Someone in a suit and tie is more likely to be respectful of the venue than someone in jeans and a tee. Someone dressed appropriately for the situation is much more likely to be taken seriously and treated well than someone dress inappropriately in a lot of public situations. It definitely isn't true in every case but that's the trend in the data. It effects my meal when people who don't respect the venue treat it like Applbees rather than fine dining. People who don't take the time to dress appropriately are more likely to put less thought into their behavior as well.
Wow. Well, bless your heart.

My husband and I will be 30 this year so to some that might put us in the 'millennial' group. On every DCL cruise we've been on we've always dressed up for dinner and we enjoy doing so. We love to be comfortable, but at the some time love making ourselves looking a little more dressed up. If a restaurant has a dress code, we're going to abide by it and not just avoid it. I hate seeing the downturn in just making yourself look presentable. We're trying Palo for the first time on our upcoming cruise!

I can only wear a New Balance shoe and have worn them to Palo without comments.

Thanks. That is what I am afraid of. DH has large feet so I am not sure if they would have loaners in his size. I guess we will pack what we usually do.

My DH wears a size 13 and they had sizes 12 and 14 available in the loaners. He ended up wearing the size 12 (he said they were actually very comfortable - I believe they are the same shoes the servers wear, so I would hope they would be!)

I dressed up for dinner in the MDR every night in a pretty dress and nice shoes, and dressed my kids in polo shirts or button-downs and khakis and nice leather sandals, because it gave it a special occasion feel. I never once noticed what anyone else in the MDR was wearing--they could have been in bathing suits for all I care. Dressing up makes me happy, but I know others hate it or are uncomfortable, so live and let live in my view.
I used to wear dresses for the MDR all the time. Then on one cruise my friend forgot her "formal night" outfit and was panicking. Our server told her that she could wear whatever she wanted "because it's Disney," so she wore jeans to formal night and (as far as I know) no one batted an eye, at least none of the staff or our tablemates. Since then, I stopped changing my clothes for MDR dinners. I generally just wear whatever I had on that day -- jeans/leggings/t-shirt/sweatshirt/cardigan. It's too much to pack an entirely separate wardrobe for dinner. I *do* dress up for formal night and Palo, but "dressing up" now is a cotton dress with jewelry, nothing actually formal.

I just came off of the Wonder and had Palo Brunch... there was a man in khaki shorts with Nike (tennis) shoes on and he was NOT turned away. There was also a table of 4 females that were all in jeans, but had on nice tops. My father was not happy that he had to pack black dress shoes that took up space in his luggage and had to wear once while someone else got to wear their Nike (tennis) shoes to Palo. My father already told me that he does not want to pack dress shoes on our next cruise...

It seems like Disney is getting lax about their dress code for Palo.

I just came off of the Wonder and had Palo Brunch... there was a man in khaki shorts with Nike (tennis) shoes on and he was NOT turned away. There was also a table of 4 females that were all in jeans, but had on nice tops. My father was not happy that he had to pack black dress shoes that took up space in his luggage and had to wear once while someone else got to wear their Nike (tennis) shoes to Palo. My father already told me that he does not want to pack dress shoes on our next cruise...

It seems like Disney is getting lax about their dress code for Palo.
Jeans were added to the dress code a few months ago. But the shorts shouldn't have been allowed. Again, a lot depends on the maitre 'd and what they allow (in spite of the dress code).

Dress to Impress
To preserve the elegant ambiance of this restaurant, you are asked to adhere to a dress code when dining at Palo. We recommend dress pants or slacks and a collared shirt for men, and a dress, skirt or pants and a blouse for women. Jeans may also be worn if in good condition (no holes). Please no tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, shorts, hats, cut-offs, torn clothing, t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics, flip-flops or tennis shoes.

Jeans were added to the dress code a few months ago. But the shorts shouldn't have been allowed. Again, a lot depends on the maitre 'd and what they allow (in spite of the dress code).

Dress to Impress
To preserve the elegant ambiance of this restaurant, you are asked to adhere to a dress code when dining at Palo. We recommend dress pants or slacks and a collared shirt for men, and a dress, skirt or pants and a blouse for women. Jeans may also be worn if in good condition (no holes). Please no tank tops, swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, shorts, hats, cut-offs, torn clothing, t-shirts with offensive language and/or graphics, flip-flops or tennis shoes.

I did not know about the update for jeans. I may not tell my family...haha, but us, girls, like to dress up.

That would be the question.

I believe the issue here is - what are "tennis shoes"?
Exactly!! That is what I want to know. There is no agreed upon definition. All tennis shoes are sneakers but not all sneakers are tennis shoes. Plus flip flops not allowed but sandals are - there are fine lines of difference there as well. I think dress code can be recommended and people should be neat but dress codes are so subjective they make them impossible to enforce fairly.

I realize the initial question related to tennis shoes and what is allowed. But I have seen many threads on dress codes and responses such as I do not get dressed up, this or that was allowed, etc. when it shouldn’t have been according to the dress code. If you do not want to follow the dress code (for what ever reason) that is your choice and you do not have to go to Palo’s. That said, I blame Disney for creating the confusion by not being consistant in the way they enforce the dress code. If there is any ambiguity in the dress code as written, they need to clarify those areas of the dress code so that they can be inforced and followed equally across all ships in the cruise line. If something is going to be allowed or not allowed than it needs the be clarified including definitions if needed so that the dress code is clearly stated and easy to understand for everyone. Than any one taking a Disney cruise can make an informed choice if they want to go to Palo’s or not.

Does anyone know if there is the same confusion for the Remy dress code? I never seem to see threads on it, so I wondered if it was more clear-cut or are people just not going to Remy as often?

Does anyone know if there is the same confusion for the Remy dress code? I never seem to see threads on it, so I wondered if it was more clear-cut or are people just not going to Remy as often?
Remy is much more strict about their dress code.

Dress to Impress
To preserve the elegant atmosphere, you are asked to adhere to a strict dress code when dining at Remy.

Dinner
At dinnertime, the following dress code is enforced:

• Men: A jacket (such as a sports, suit or tuxedo jacket) is required, with dress pants/slacks and shoes. Ties are optional. Please no jeans, shorts, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.
  • Ladies: Cocktail dress, evening dress, pant suit or skirt/blouse are required. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.

Brunch and Dessert
During brunch and dessert, the following dress code is enforced:

• Men: Dress pants and a shirt are required for men. A jacket is optional. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.
  • Women: A dress or pantsuit is required. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.

My DH and I enjoy our special dinners at Palo and Remy. For us, that includes dressing up and experiencing a fine meal.
As for office casual; as an engineer I can not wear athletic shoes in the office meeting clients nor on the construction site. Only witnessed athletic shoes once at a formal wedding. He was a crasher. If you're going to slip into a wedding reception, dress the part. So for Palo and Remy; you will be enjoying an exceptionally fine dinner with a staff educated on the food, wine, and service. Dress the part !

Remy is much more strict about their dress code.

Dress to Impress
To preserve the elegant atmosphere, you are asked to adhere to a strict dress code when dining at Remy.

Dinner
At dinnertime, the following dress code is enforced:

• Men: A jacket (such as a sports, suit or tuxedo jacket) is required, with dress pants/slacks and shoes. Ties are optional. Please no jeans, shorts, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.
  • Ladies: Cocktail dress, evening dress, pant suit or skirt/blouse are required. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.

Brunch and Dessert
During brunch and dessert, the following dress code is enforced:

• Men: Dress pants and a shirt are required for men. A jacket is optional. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.
  • Women: A dress or pantsuit is required. Please no jeans, shorts, capri pants, sandals, flip-flops or tennis shoes.

The "shoe" part, for me, was still ambiguous. As I mentioned in a previous post, we packed "shoes" (slip-on Olukai's, which are not sneakers nor tennis shoes) for Remy, but when we arrived on the ship, we showed the shoes to one of the concierge staff who was helping us check in and she said they did not meet the dress code. We were lucky that they loaned my DH a pair of shoes. If they would just put the word "dress" in front of the word "shoes", I think it would do away with a lot of the shoe confusion. On a positive note, the shoes they lent my DH were comfortable and I didn't have to pack dress shoes! If we go again, at least now I know what type of "shoe" complies with their dress code. I really think they need to do away with the term "tennis shoes". Tennis shoes are a very, specific type of shoe. Not to be confused with basketball shoes, golf shoes, soccer shoes, cross-trainers, running shoes, etc. Even replacing it with the word "sneaker" might be helpful as it's a little more general.

The "shoe" part, for me, was still ambiguous. As I mentioned in a previous post, we packed "shoes" (slip-on Olukai's, which are not sneakers nor tennis shoes) for Remy, but when we arrived on the ship, we showed the shoes to one of the concierge staff who was helping us check in and she said they did not meet the dress code. We were lucky that they loaned my DH a pair of shoes. If they would just put the word "dress" in front of the word "shoes", I think it would do away with a lot of the shoe confusion. On a positive note, the shoes they lent my DH were comfortable and I didn't have to pack dress shoes! If we go again, at least now I know what type of "shoe" complies with their dress code. I really think they need to do away with the term "tennis shoes". Tennis shoes are a very, specific type of shoe. Not to be confused with basketball shoes, golf shoes, soccer shoes, cross-trainers, running shoes, etc. Even replacing it with the word "sneaker" might be helpful as it's a little more general.
Or just say "athletic" shoe. That pretty much covers what they're trying to address, IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter