Panic setting in...1st time to WDW 12/29-1/7 & feeling overwhelmed! HELP! ...

wdwnewyears

Earning My Ears
We are planning our first trip to WDW...going on the trip are my husband and myself, our 2 kids, DD(7) and DS(4) and my parents...(51 and 57-not that that REALLY matters!LOL!) We have resevations @ HIFS. We arrive around 5pm on Saturday and depart early in the morning on the following Monday. I just CANNOT get over the amount of info out there re: how to "do" this trip! I am already feeling like I am starting too late to have a successful trip! I need any and all advice re: ANYTHING!

How many character meals should we schedule...are the Toy Story characters around? What should we do on New Years Eve? Should we look into staying at one of the resorts? We can cancel the HIFS...Should we rent a car? EEEEKKK!!! I am getting very nervous!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tiffany:confused:

First take a deep breath. Your first trip can be overwhelming. The trick is to break it down into smaller bites and find out all you can about that one thing before you learn about something new. You've made a good start by finding these boards. :) All the info about WDW you could hope to find is here.

The toy story characters are located at Al's Toy Barn in MGM. It is in the back of the park beside the Hunchback of Notredame show. You can find times and location on your park map.

I like Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary resort and also Crystal Palace (Pooh and gang) at MK for character breakfasts. It really depends on your kids interests, budget, and time you can spend. We always do one character meal a trip.

Since you are staying off site I would recomend a car. That way you aren't stuck with the hotel transportation. You can also go to the Character Warehouse store at Belts outlet mall. They have WDW merchandise at outlet prices, definatly worth a stop.

We alway stay on site because I don't like to drive during my vacation but it is really a matter of taste. The transportation is good and I have stayed on site without a car and never missed it.

Good luck planning and keep asking questions.

WooHoo!!!!! Congratulations on your first trip to WDW. I fully expect that you will have the time of your lives. The trip to WDW can really be anything that you want it to be. You can make it as hectic or as laid back as you want.

I agree with bobcat that you have found a great resource in these boards. Just look around and decide what you do and do not want to do.

My one piece of sagely advice would be this.....don't try to do it all. There is enough in WDW that could conceivably keep you busy for at least 2 weeks. Look around and decide what is right for you. This is supposed to be a vacation, and while I'm reasonably sure you won't return home rested, you should return home with memories of good times, not sheer pandimonium.

I envy you your first trip. Have a blast!!!

Only 61 days, 17 hours, 1 minute, and 48 seconds til we're back home in Disney World!!!!

I will keep researching.

Do you think there is any way I can get a Char Meal at Cinderella's Palace this late in the game?

If we were to look into the resorts...should I call a travel agent? We are using AA Freq Flyer miles and booked those ourselves.

Thanks again.;)

Just wanted to chime in and congratulate you on your first trip to WDW and tell you that I'll be there the same days!!

I stayed at the HIFS that very same week the beginning of this year and I loved it! It is so nice to have a different space for everyone.

I also want to echo that trying to do it all can just about RUIN your vacation. I've been to Orlando 7 times in the past 2 years and I STILL can't get everything done. It's set up that way! It makes you WANT to return.

Do enjoy yourself. It's great that time of year.

You are going to have a GREAT time!! My kids were 5 when we went the first time and they liked it alot. I explained to them before we left that we will be doing alot of stuff in these few days we will be here at Disney, and that they need to be good for me so we can do alot. They were good, and we did ALOT! :)
I say one character meal is good. Chef Mickeys is neat because you can ride the monorail there and back, and that is pretty cool. Request that you and the kids sit up in the front when you go, it's neat for the kids. Remember as far as eating in the parks go, portions are big, so share meals to save money, and then you won't feel so guilty about leaving the leftovers there- becasue there won't be any.
Rent a car, for convenience, but it is really up to you- if you don't mind taking their transportation then just do that to save money.
Hope my opinions hel you, and have a wonderful time. ENJOY YOURSELF!! And make sure the kids have fun.

You can try for Cinderellas and see what happens. If you don't have any luck, try calling 48hrs in advance of the day you want at 7am sharp. People have had success with that.

who never plans anything, flys by the seat of his pants, and has managed to stay alive for 30 years so far! IE you'll have fun, no matter what, but...if you want to get the most out of your time and $$, just take a deep breath and *organize*. What I do is take a 3 ring binder and put dividers in it according to place/subject (airline, rental car, hotel, WDW, Universal, etc). Then, as I read all the great stuff on these boards, I either print it out directly and file it in the appropriate section, or I copy/paste it into a word processing document (to save space) and then print it out. DH calls it my "Disney Bible" (no sacrilism intendended)! We're going to be at HIFS from Dec. 30-Jan. 4, so maybe we'll see you by the pool!
Terri the Yoopermom
(just call me copy/paste/print...)

For New Year's Eve, I would recommend going to Pleasure Island. Cyndi Lauper is performing and they will have a buffet, midnight toast, and party favors. Cost is about $65 per person. Mom and Dad could baby sit kids, or if you want to do something as a family that night I believe some of the parks have big fireworks display.

I so appreciate your sage advice!

I hope to see you, Terri, at HIFS! I just read on mousesavers about a "buy one get one free" promo HIFS in participating in and then Mousesavers is also getting a rate of 125. That is better than my $159 for 12/29-1/1 and then 102 for the remaining nights...Should I try to call them up and get a rate adjustment or just start anew then cancel? Any thoughts here, guys?!

Thanks again~ Tiffany:pinkbounc

The BOGOF program works on "rack rate" and not "best rate" so you won't get the room for $102 for 2 nights but $159 for 2 nights.

While I have heard lots of good things about the HIFS, I think that you will be cramped with 4 adults and 2 children in one suite. Has anyone here stayed with that many people?

You may want to consider staying at one of the All Stars resorts and getting 2 rooms instead.

HIFS is blacked out for BOGO over Xmas, because I asked. Are any of the adults in your party 50 or over? If so, call back and check if the "senior rate" is cheaper than what you have. I think with 4 adults and 2 kids I would go for a classic suite which would have a queen bed in each of the bedrooms plus the pullout couch for the two kids (if they'll sleep together), but you'll still have to share the one bathroom. Unless we all got along *real* well, I don't think I'd do it, either, unless you get a better rate. Good luck and feel free to keep asking questions!
Terri the Yoopermom

Terri~

We do actually get along with my parents very well (although, we'd all much prefer a 2 bath set-up). The reason I chose HIFS is for our kids...I wanted a themed hotel and when I saw the train theme...I knew our 4 yr old would go absolutely bonkers over it! And the bunk beds thrill them!

I am still considering looking into other hotels over the next few days. Do you think I should contact a travel agent? I never have used one. We have always booked our own travel. But this is a whole different ball game than planning an "adult" get away. (Like Bermuda...).

Thoughts????

Thanks again! Tiffany:)

I would definitely stay with HIFS. We went there last September and had 3 adults and 2 kids in the room and there were no problems. They use the space in the rooms wisely. Your kids will absolutely love the hotel. My kids are positive that the next time we go to Disney they want to stay at that same hotel - no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

I think planning the trip yourself is fine. We tried using a travel agent for our trip but found that we were able to book it ourselves cheaper. You've got to be willing to put the time and research in to get the best deals. I personally wouldn't be able to stand having someone else plan my trip once I have done it myself. I did buy 2 guide books and got a lot of valuable information out of them. I also made a list for each park of the "not to miss" attractions and had them on a small colored piece of paper that I laminated. They were very small (wallet size) and we would just take the one for the park we were at out and we new what things we wanted to do for sure. My husband made fun of the "cheat sheets" at first but at the end of the trip he told me just how grateful he was for everything I had done to make the trip a big success. My husband doesn't like crowds and we would have seen a lot less had I not been so prepared. We didn't see everything on my lists but that just gives us a reason to go back.

When we were preparing for our trip these boards were very useful as well. The best tips I received were: How to get a free Emerald Club Membership for National Car Rental (I haven't seen anything like that in a long time and don't know if there is anything currently available like that) and to pack my childrens clothes for each day in ziploc bags so each day all they had to do was grab a bag and they had a matching outfit complete with socks and undies.

Good luck on your trip. Hope everything goes well for you.

Your post made me laugh!! Not because it was funny per se, but because it reminded me of the first time I came upon these boards and got struck by the "am I doing it right bug"!

1. What do you want to do? What's important for you?

2. How much do you want to spend? Are you on a tight budget or is this comfortably affordable for you?

3. What do your kids want to do?

4. Will this be a once in a lifetime trip (or so you think) or is this the 1st of many planned trips for the future?

If this is a a Once in a Lifetime trip, then make the most of it. Stay on site (or at least call to see what's available since it is so close to your arrival). (BTW, if you really want to stay on site and are on a budget ask for the AS resorts. If they say they are booked tell the CM that you can't afford to stay at the resort unless it is at the budget level. Sometimes they will "see what they can do for you") Staying on site saves you having to drive. Dealing with Kissimmee traffic can be a nightmare especially if you stay on IB where there is construction going on!

We go every year, so each year we do one special thing. If you know you are going back don't try to cram everything into this one trip. There will be more trips to experience the "complete package"!

Also, (and this should have been number one on the list) THIS IS A VACATION!!! Don't kill yourself and need a vacation from your vacation when you get back home. Enjoy being there as a family and have a GREAT TIME!

:earsgirl:
52 more days!

Tiffany, if your parents are going to be with you, and are over 50, call and try for the sr. rate, it has to be cheaper than what you're paying. I'm glad you're staying there so our kids can swim together! Don't be overwhelmed, we'll just sit in our recliners by the pool and laugh over what all we've forgotten...(as DH says, "They DO have stores in FL, you know!)
Terri the Yoopermom

Six of us went to wdw in Oct. The grandchildren are 5 year old twins. We didn't know what to expect of them. They were great. We didn't have to leave early or change plans because they were tired or whiny. We arrived at the park at 9 am.
My daughter planned it this way. She printed maps of the mk and highlighted the must sees. She did this for all the parks we intended to visit and also had a schedule of the parades and fireworks from the internet, but we double checked the times each day since they could be changed. We could not book a character meal at the castle before we arrived but on arrival we booked lunch and breakfast there. Breakfast was by far the best. We will save other character meals for the next time. The trip went very smoothly and everyone was happy.

I'll be there with my dd and wife the same days, hopefully we'll run into you somewhere wearing your "lime green ribbon" Do you know about the special deal at the dolphin and swan check their website www.swandolphin.com most days in the next month including new years they're offering a buy one room get the 2nd at 1/2 price so you could stay on site at least a few days I think it's $174 for the first room ($85 for the 2nd) and a free upgrade to lakeview rooms, this is cheap for a really nice hotel. We booked a club level room for new years eve so we could walk back to the hotel for a quick nap without worrying about parking or traffic. Also last year our 3 yo ran out of steam way before midnight and we missed the festivities with a club room at the swan or dolphin the action is right there you can see the fireworks and your kids asleep in their bed at the same time.

Another thing to consider is the traffic level and the need to get to the park of your choice early. I doubt it's going to be too busy this NYE but if the parks reach capacity they shut down in stages If you're an AP holder and staying on property that means it would have to be pretty crowded not to get in, but if we were day guests and were staying offsite that would put you on the bottom of the list. you are actally gauranteed admission to one of the theme parks if you stay on property nice to know when its busy.

I couldn't agree more with all the other advice planning is good, flexibility is even better, and a nap in the afternoon the best. Lastly knowing when everyone has had enough can be the defining event in a WDW trip it's much better to enjoy 5 attractions then have a go round on the playground than try to fit in the 6th while your children melt down sensory overload is a powerful thing, Good luck, if you end up needing a place to watch the fireworks from give us a yell !

I guess everyone from this board wears a lime green ribbon?
I am new...can't you tell?!

I will look into the swan! Thanks so much! Tiffany

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter