Parents of the Class of 2019

Had a little pre-graduation party at our house yesterday - just family and close friends (30 in all). It was the only time all my family could get together and with us having to go out of town right after graduation ceremony for a state soccer tournament with our younger son, time is tight. Right after all the family left, son had like 10-12 of his friends come over to hang out for the night. All in all, a good weekend for the not-quite-yet-grad :)

Dd just learned she got one of the top scholarships from her national dance organization, $2000. I think she is up tp $10,000 from scholarships outside of her college, and there is still awards night. Any bit helps!

Yay! Good for her! It does help. We've heard back from them all here but it was an exciting time when the scholarships were rolling in. I'm hoping she'll get a little bit from the college's foundation scholarships sophomore-senior years too. Everyone make sure your kids apply for those! I've been told a lot of kids don't bother.

Friday was Convocation and it was fairly small and nice to hear about the accomplishments of the 87 graduates.
Today was graduation and it was...efficient. It is so hard to believe that it's finally over, whew.
I was a little sad Friday night but no tears either day which was my goal. May went by so quickly, it will be interesting to see how fast summer goes by!
Congrats to everyone :)

Well, Friday went off well. They didn't get done in 1 1/2 hours, but they did get done in 1 hour 45 minutes. Crazy! It was really well set up, none of the speeches were longer than 3 or 4 minutes, and they had 4 announcers and 4 "handers and shakers" for the graduates, which did help it go really fast. They didn't worry about holding applause, and for the most part, everyone was really good about not shouting for too long, I think there was only 1 or 2 kids out of 530 that you couldn't hear their name announced clearly.

We had her grad party on Saturday, which also went well, the wind died down and it was nice and sunny.

We are at registration day for college. He got 1pm time to register for classes, they don’t let the parents go with the kid. Prior to lunch someone met with him to discuss how he did on the pretests the college requests u to take.
His AP calc teacher told him last night he can skip calc 1 and prepare to be on top on it for calc 2.
He told the person here he does not want physics 100.
I had him sit in a few minutes for the honor merit program, i’m Hoping he will do the merit at least for calc.
And I had him ask which Spanish class he tested into, he will take in online if he can, this summer.
Hmmmm what did he pick?
EGADS I changed but did not turn on the alarm for this AM. I barely got him here on time! I wanted to arrive 8am for the pre stuff and I arrived 9am as the program started, thankful DD goes here, so I got this. I’m skipping the security and housing discussions and walking tours.

We picked a computer and opened a free 6 year student bank here that is linked to ur ICard, which he got too.

Awards was tonight and aside from the ones we knew about - which added an honors tassel and several more pins to his stole - he won a state senatorial scholarship, $10k over four years (as long as he keeps his grades up but I don’t know the gpa right now). He apparently found out about it last week and did not tell us, the stinker! Tomorrow is the big day!

We made it! - 375 kids, just under two hours. I was a puddle at lunch with the grandparents, but good at graduation itself. We did pics before at the house, which worked out well. (And no, I didn't wear the ears all day, just for the funny photo!) -

View attachment 405057

View attachment 405058
Great photos, especially the one holding the younger shot! Love the ears!

Please don't read this as judgemental. I have nowhere else to get this out due to my job and some other things. Two of DS' friends and former classmates got engaged last night. They will be getting married before Christmas. These kids left our school in the last couple years for different reasons but were still "part" of the class, if that makes sense--small town, small school and these kids have all been very close since they were little. There were 10 in DS' graduating class, if that helps explain. They have been dating for a couple years, but they are so young! He isn't going to college but never planned to; he is working towards certification as a heavy equipment operator and will do fine. She has traded going off to college to stay local and take an "easier" 1-year program, and that is what gets me--I realize it is none of my business.

Please don't read this as judgemental. I have nowhere else to get this out due to my job and some other things. Two of DS' friends and former classmates got engaged last night. They will be getting married before Christmas. These kids left our school in the last couple years for different reasons but were still "part" of the class, if that makes sense--small town, small school and these kids have all been very close since they were little. There were 10 in DS' graduating class, if that helps explain. They have been dating for a couple years, but they are so young! He isn't going to college but never planned to; he is working towards certification as a heavy equipment operator and will do fine. She has traded going off to college to stay local and take an "easier" 1-year program, and that is what gets me--I realize it is none of my business.
That is young! I don’t know of anyone in dd22 or ds21’s classes that got married yet, and there were over 300.

One of my son's best friends got married the spring of their senior year. It was hard to watch them choosing a road you know could be hard. They now have 3 kids, but seem happy and support themselves.

I think it is a small town thing. I haven't heard any of those stories from DD's friends, and I don't really expect to since she graduated from a private college-prep school (though the "class couple" from last year's senior class is engaged and both abandoned big college plans to go to community college together), but a few of DS21's friends are engaged and one is married. And most of those couples have a child or two already. Like the young man in your son's class, most of the boys in DS's circle pursued trade skills programs, apprenticeships or military service and none of them had much interest in the traditional college experience, so I think they tend to be a bit overeager to live as/be seen as "real" adults. I always cringe a bit inside to hear about their plans because it makes the road so much harder than it has to be, even though I do wish them all the best.

HS track is over, the 4 x 4 got 7th, one away from medaling (out of 23), dd18 broke a minute for the first time, this is the 3rd meet in a row making a new school record (the baton is going into the athletic case at school). Dd16 called and asked us to bring her her uniform shorts (there was a communication gap between my girls this morning) meet was almost 2 hours away and there wasn’t time for that, so since 2 of them had black Lycra shorts, the coach took the school bus to modells and bought another 2 pairs. My idea was for dd18 to wear her uniform shorts since she is the first leg, and then have dd16 put them on since she is the last leg, in those 2 minutes, but the coach was already on his way to the store (this was our track team’s only event today, dd16 chose not to run the 200 because she wouldn’t medal, and save it for this event).

She is sad because she loves her track team, even though she plans on running club at college. These lasts are starting to hit, choir dinner and last concert last week, athletic dinner and track dinner next week. Her bff’s graduation party is tomorrow (we are good friends with the parents). Their goal of getting the pool house done in time was made (bathroom, bar, full kitchen), but it’s supposed to rain/thunderstorm/tornado pretty bad. I was previously forward to it.

@mjkacmom LOL I love the idea of a trading shorts relay between sisters!

Our HS sports parent life ended last night as DD's soccer team lost and therefore does not advance. DD was teary afterward, just because it's over. She's had the same coach and some of the same teammates since 2nd grade. I'm just glad she made it all the way through with only minor injuries! It can be rough!

And now the summer festivities are on! Eight extra kids here tonight on the patio, maybe more on the way. One car got stuck on the dirt road so DH had to pull them out. DD hopes to have several of these gatherings this summer. Better make sure everyone knows the correct way to get here...

DD is loving her job after the first two days. So much variety in each day and she was tickled that yesterday she had to return the giant ribbon-cutting scissors to their owner. Felt just a little bit silly carrying them :)

Graduation is done and went well...except for the torrential downpour when we had to get the kids to the buses to bring them over to the school. And again after the ceremony so no outside pics. But that’s minor. I can’t believe it’s all done. DS went to three parties yesterday and is parked in front of the tv binging a miniseries today. Friday we were all wiped out. I made an airport run, ate lunch and took a nap and not much more. Not ready to go back to work tomorrow.

DD is now in Philly at the BIO conference. We made up some business cards for her so when she's networking with biotech companies in the Boston area, she can mention her research and then leave them with a card that has a link to her research and her contact information on them. Hopefully she'll have a good time, I know there were some sessions that she wanted to go see.

Went to our first graduation party of the season, dd’s lifetime bff (since 6 months of age). Dd went to her graduation in the morning, had to go to a confirmation mass and give a reading, and then met us at the party. When I left she was in ugly tears mode (had a little too much to drink, I let her stay home this morning). Senioritis still in swing! For some reason they aren’t getting caps and gowns until the day before graduation, not much time to decorate the cap and unwrinkle the gown.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter