Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Just over a week until my daughter leaves for college- most of her friends are all gone or going this week. She applied on Friday for a work study job- Receptionist for the Dean of the Law School and they called Monday, did a SKYPE interview and offered her the job- she is over the moon because it was exactly the type of job she wanted- in a business setting, answering phones and they said there was PLENTY of down time and she should feel free to bring her homework and do it while she is working.

We dropped Niece off at school yesterday. She made friends with a girl from the next town over, so we might have a carpool for thanksgiving. Her roommate is a little bossy, but seems not horrible so far. She's lonely. I miss her terribly. Classes don't start until Monday.
:( I'm sorry, I remember this from when my DS went to college. I can assure you it does get better but man, it sucks at first. :hug:

Classes start this morning! I hope she really likes them. I think it's been a long couple of days up there waiting for school to really start. When she went looking for her classrooms this week, one of her professors came across her in the halls and she had a good talk/tour with him.

I heard she talked to one of her roommates for 2 hours, and another one for quite a while too, so that's good. She also spent time with her cousin who goes there (but to another campus) the last two evenings. She'll have to get used to more noise at nights. She said there's parties two floors above her all the time (hopefully this scales back with classes starting), and just general noise and hollering outside at night (she is used to quiet country nights with just the crickets singing). She'll be home this afternoon after class gets out for the weekend. Hopefully she'll be ready to return Sunday night and see what her other classes are like!

I have a son, so no actual decorating for me. Obviously, the room is over the top, but I do think it's pretty. Hard to believe it cost that much though. The removable wall paper must have been expensive, and they must not have shopped sales.

I bought a photo montage for her dorm on removable wallpaper and a 3 foot by 2 foot was 89.00!

She said there's parties two floors above her all the time (hopefully this scales back with classes starting), and just general noise and hollering outside at night (she is used to quiet country nights with just the crickets singing). She'll be home this afternoon after class gets out for the weekend. Hopefully she'll be ready to return Sunday night and see what her other classes are like!

My daughter has always slept with a white noise machine- even when we travel we bring one so we both can sleep. Can not sleep of there is not some kind of noise- depending on her roommate she may have to sleep with earbuds playing the white noise!

Niece is having roommate problems and it's only the first couple days. Roommate apparently goes out of her way to make Niece feel unwelcome. However, she made friends with two girls down the hall, so she's just hanging with them for now. The roommate is local and came equipped with a ready made friend group. It's not a good dynamic, but if it doesn't escalate, it should be tolerable.

Oh my.....well, as they say, everything in Texas is bigger! LOL I think its really cute, my DD would be appalled as this is very pretentious in her book.

I have a son, so no actual decorating for me. Obviously, the room is over the top, but I do think it's pretty. Hard to believe it cost that much though. The removable wall paper must have been expensive, and they must not have shopped sales.
DS's dorm was cinderblock walls - we put up posters and bought new bedding. The biggest investments were in the mattress pads and fans for air movement and noise. He was way more concerned about the fridge/micro and pantry of snacks than he was what it looked like.

Classes start this morning! I hope she really likes them. I think it's been a long couple of days up there waiting for school to really start. When she went looking for her classrooms this week, one of her professors came across her in the halls and she had a good talk/tour with him.

I heard she talked to one of her roommates for 2 hours, and another one for quite a while too, so that's good. She also spent time with her cousin who goes there (but to another campus) the last two evenings. She'll have to get used to more noise at nights. She said there's parties two floors above her all the time (hopefully this scales back with classes starting), and just general noise and hollering outside at night (she is used to quiet country nights with just the crickets singing). She'll be home this afternoon after class gets out for the weekend. Hopefully she'll be ready to return Sunday night and see what her other classes are like!
I didn't grow up in the country, just regular suburbia. But, when I went to college, it was quite the adjustment learning to sleep with the noise of the city. Eventually I adapted, then I had the opposite problem. I came home for the summer and had a hard time sleeping without the noise of the trolleys screeching, the sirens, shouting at all hours of the night, etc.:scared:

Niece is having roommate problems and it's only the first couple days. Roommate apparently goes out of her way to make Niece feel unwelcome. However, she made friends with two girls down the hall, so she's just hanging with them for now. The roommate is local and came equipped with a ready made friend group. It's not a good dynamic, but if it doesn't escalate, it should be tolerable.
Oh dear, I certainly hope they learn to co-exist. My son and his roomie never spoke, they did not engage or do anything together. They shared a space and that was it. It never bothered DS, he found friends on the hall and went about his year in total contentment. I hope your Niece finds "Her people" and has a great year.

Just my opinion but I think a lot of hype and pressure is put on kids in regards to the roomie, its romanticized, they are going to become attached at the hip, bond and be BFF's for life. I think this is the image they get into their heads when in reality, the majority of their roomies will be others they share space with and that is about it. Sharing space in peace is a major feat, friendship is a bonus but not mandatory. IMO

How annoying! Glad she has made friends and I hope the roommate doesn't cause any trouble.

That stinks! maybe she can put in for a change? Last year for the summer program my daughter had a room mate that she had NOTHING in common with- drove her crazy because the room mate had a late class so she stayed up late and night and every night from 2am-4am she would be skyping with her boyfriend keeping my daughter, who had an early class, up. She dealt with it since it was only a month but if it was longer she would have had to move! She is hoping for a room mate she can just co-exist with, she already has a group that she has been talking with on this northeastern skype group and they had plans and tickets for all kinds of things together already- and one of her good friends is going to so she is ok with not being BFF's with her room mate. But I can't see her making her room mate uncomfortable- she has been texting with her for about 2 months and she says she is "chill" so hopefully it will be fine LOL.

We moved my daughter in yesterday. She got the roommate she requested so that was great. Her room came out pretty good. The girls didn't coordinate but it looks like they planned it all out so we thought that was pretty funny. It was a long day of setting up and I cringe at the thought of packing it all up in December for the break and then doing it all over again come January. I don't think I posted about this on this thread (I think it was on a budget board thread). My daughter is in a room that will be used for minimester over the winter break. We get a $300 tuition break for the trouble but I'd gladly give that up to not have to do this all over again in a few months :scared:

It's done!!!
We moved DD to school yesterday.

I was an emotional mess on Wednesday evening when she was saying goodbye to her BFFs...
She's our only, so the idea of an empty house is hitting me hard.

We were kept so busy yesterday with moving, getting books, checking in, orientation activities, etc. When it came time to leave, I was exhausted and ready to go!! Plus, DD is only 30 minutes away. I definitely take comfort in that!

DD ended up in a quad with 3 other girls. All 4 families went out to dinner together last night before leaving. Everyone seems very nice, so I hope they'll all be a good fit!

Well, DD was back home for the weekend yesterday afternoon. Her first day of classes went pretty well. She now likes the head of her department (she got a bad impression on a high school visit day). She talked to a few fellow classmates and sat by a couple of cute guys. She and two of her three roommates are off to a great start together. The other one hasn't really been around (she lives like 15 minutes away) and they get the impression they won't see much of her. They don't really know what to think of her yet. When we were moving in her grandma showed us which pantry shelves are DD's but the other girl moved DD's cans now so she's going to ask if she would rather have the lower shelves or what. I get the feeling that one will do her own thing and not necessarily associate with the others but DD doesn't mind.

Speaking of food, she's been getting snapchats from a guy friend of his dinner plates stacked high with food from his dining plan. DD is in apartment style living at a cc- no cafeteria- and she's a little jealous. I reminded her how many more thousands of dollars his schooling is costing him and she can buy a box of fried chicken for a lot less :p. Also I'm going to make an extra roast this weekend for her and we'll make some into dishes for the freezer too. She's happy about that.

Well, DD was back home for the weekend yesterday afternoon. Her first day of classes went pretty well. She now likes the head of her department (she got a bad impression on a high school visit day). She talked to a few fellow classmates and sat by a couple of cute guys. She and two of her three roommates are off to a great start together. The other one hasn't really been around (she lives like 15 minutes away) and they get the impression they won't see much of her. They don't really know what to think of her yet. When we were moving in her grandma showed us which pantry shelves are DD's but the other girl moved DD's cans now so she's going to ask if she would rather have the lower shelves or what. I get the feeling that one will do her own thing and not necessarily associate with the others but DD doesn't mind.

Speaking of food, she's been getting snapchats from a guy friend of his dinner plates stacked high with food from his dining plan. DD is in apartment style living at a cc- no cafeteria- and she's a little jealous. I reminded her how many more thousands of dollars his schooling is costing him and she can buy a box of fried chicken for a lot less :p. Also I'm going to make an extra roast this weekend for her and we'll make some into dishes for the freezer too. She's happy about that.
That cafeteria food gets old after awhile and Mom's roast will always remind one of home. I truly don't think the kids have a true understanding of the costs involved as so many are taking loans and a loan is not like pulling a $20 out of ones wallet.

DD is going to start to pack today (she moves in on Monday). All of the oxes, bags, trunk, etc are spread out all over the living room and every time I walk by I get weepy. She's usually keeps her emotions to herself, but I can tell she's really nervous. She's a bit of an introvert, so I'm a little worried about her.

We moved my daughter in yesterday. She got the roommate she requested so that was great. Her room came out pretty good. The girls didn't coordinate but it looks like they planned it all out so we thought that was pretty funny. It was a long day of setting up and I cringe at the thought of packing it all up in December for the break and then doing it all over again come January. I don't think I posted about this on this thread (I think it was on a budget board thread). My daughter is in a room that will be used for minimester over the winter break. We get a $300 tuition break for the trouble but I'd gladly give that up to not have to do this all over again in a few months :scared:
Ugh.......Ugh.......Ugh

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter