Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

Just a few updates:

DD is in the process of looking for a Summer Internship in Public Relations. She hasn't been as diligent about applying and interviewing as her brother was when he was a Junior, so I'm a little worried. But she did score an on campus internship for this semester with an IT company called Carahsoft. It is a smaller company in Northern Virginia that specializes in government IT needs. They hire Student Ambassadors for $10 an hour to promote their company and job opportunities on campuses. DD will have to work booths, produce informational flyers, and speak to groups to promote Carahsoft. It is kind of all self directed and supervised through phone calls with a supervisor. She is really excited about it because it gives her the chance to put her PR skills to use in a real resume building way. I'm just a little worried about the self directed part.

She also just got an email from one of her professors inviting her to join the Communications Honor Society, Lambda Pi Eta. She's going to do it because it is one more positive thing to add to her resume.

She is also in the process of meeting with her advisor and choosing her classes for next semester. She has FINALLY (I think) finalized her two minors - Business Leadership and International Studies. She almost picked Professional and Technical Writing instead of International Studies, but she'd need to take 18 credits one semester to get it done. She already started and then abandoned a Minor in International Studies back when she was a freshman, so she only needs 12 credits to finish it at this point. She is choosing classes within the IS Minor that have to do with international communications, so it dovetails well with PR.

Hope all your kids are doing well!!!!

Last edited:
Just a few updates:

DD is in the process of looking for a Summer Internship in Public Relations. She hasn't been as diligent about applying and interviewing as her brother was when he was a Junior, so I'm a little worried. But she did score an on campus internship for this semester with an IT company called Carahsoft. It is a smaller company in Northern Virginia that specializes in government IT needs. They hire Student Ambassadors for $10 an hour to promote their company and job opportunities on campuses. DD will have to work booths, produce informational flyers, and speak to groups to promote Carahsoft. It is kind of all self directed and supervised through phone calls with a supervisor. She is really excited about it because it gives her the chance to put her PR skills to use in a real resume building way. I'm just a little worried about the self directed part.

She also just got an email from one of her professors inviting her to join the Communications Honor Society, Lambda Pi Eta. She going to do it because it is one more positive thing to add to her resume.

She is also in the process of meeting with her advisor and choosing her classes for next semester. She has FINALLY (I think) finalized her two minors - Business Leadership and International Studies. She almost picked Professional and Technical Writing instead of International Studies, but she'd need to take 18 credits one semester to get it done. She already started and then abandoned a Minor in International Studies back when she was a freshman, so she only needs 12 credits to finish it at this point. She is choosing classes within the IS Minor that have to do with international communications, so it dovetails well with PR.

Hope all your kids are doing well!!!!
Hope the internship works out for you DD! And congrats on the honor society too!

Our biggest update...

DD turned 21 this week!! :bday:

(She's not a big drinker, but it sure is nice to not have to worry about it anymore)

DD had midterms last week, and will be meeting with her advisor soon for next semester scheduling. Her major has very little flexibility for course choices, so it's mostly chosen for her. And she has only 2 classes to go to complete her Medical Spanish minor.

I'm not certain about DDs summer plans. She was consumed with studying for the DAT last summer, but that's over thank goodness! I'm sure she can work as a beverage cart girl at the golf course again....but I'm hoping she's looking into other options that will further her career ambitions....may need to check in on that, lol!

Been waiting a long time for this post- DD finally got a full time graphic design job! She got the offer on Thursday, but had also just found out she didn't get the job she REALLY wanted, so her enthusiasm was a little dampened then. But she was here last night and is getting excited (and nervous though) about the one she got. It will probably be just a stepping stone/resume builder but I'm so happy to have her in a full time income for now and it's only 2 miles from her apartment!

Been waiting a long time for this post- DD finally got a full time graphic design job! She got the offer on Thursday, but had also just found out she didn't get the job she REALLY wanted, so her enthusiasm was a little dampened then. But she was here last night and is getting excited (and nervous though) about the one she got. It will probably be just a stepping stone/resume builder but I'm so happy to have her in a full time income for now and it's only 2 miles from her apartment!
Congratulations!!!! A full time job in her field - her persistence paid off big time!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Congratulation!!!! A full time job in her field - her persistence paid off big time!!!!!!!

Thank you! Yes, 8 months and dozens of applications, getting by on sporadic remote work was rough. Amazingly, her bank account never got very low, so I told her to keep living like she was and watch it grow. By next winter she might splurge on a garage space ;)

She also gets to redesign her office! She has an interior design streak in her so this is exciting too. The dark gray & black walls are not staying!

That's great!! :thumbsup2

Congratulations to your DD! All her hard work has paid off! So happy for her 😊

DD got an intern for this coming summer for an engineering firm. She actually also just received an offer from her first choice -at that time -6 months ago- but had already accepted the other firm. She does think she will be happy with her choice, the firms has other firms in the US.
Today she told me she had applied for housing at a university in Chicago for the summer and was accepted, it is furnished so it prob is best choice for housing for the internship.
A class she had this year spoke about a masters track offering to earn her masters faster and cheaper; the guy running it applies for $ for the students. I think it has less than 10 kids in that program. You have to apply, have acceptable gpa and other credentials, and recommendations. The guy running it becomes your mentor. DD is thinking about trying for it.
DD roommate got to study in Italy this semester, she was one student of two that got to go for art major opportunity. U of I today is requiring them to return home immediately. She, it seems will have the opportunity to take online classes for this semester.

Conrgats on your DD's internship! That's fabulous!

DD's friend was also studying in Italy and will be coming home tomorrow. Scary stuff. DD is currently studying in Ireland and things seem ok there for now. We're going to visit her in 2 weeks and I can't wait!

Oh!!!! Updates!

My DD is taking an internship course this semester. She's working for a place that does Hippotherapy for people with disabilities. She has a car so she can drive out to the stable. She's finding it very rewarding and it will look great on her Occupational Therapy resume. The topic of her paper is the use of horses in therapy for people with autism. She's taking the other half of the course this summer and she wants to choose something different so she can get a different experience. I might suggest that she works directly with an OT as that's a requirement for most programs. She's going to be taking *something* this summer ... probably Anatomy and Physiology at the local community college to side-step all the super-focused pre-med majors.

She has reached the point where she no longer shares her grades with me. I'm a bit miffed, but she made Dean's List for the 4h semester in a row (after a rocky start) so I guess I can't complain.

For those with kids going on to grad school, when are they planning to take the GRE? My DD needs to take it and we need to find a test prep for her. She *sucks* at standardized tests.

My son has been bedridden since December 24th and had to withdraw from school. He started physical therapy last week to learn to move his body again. We hope he will be able to return to school in the fall. Never take a moment of your child's life for granted. It can all change in the blink of an eye.

My son has been bedridden since December 24th and had to withdraw from school. He started physical therapy last week to learn to move his body again. We hope he will be able to return to school in the fall. Never take a moment of your child's life for granted. It can all change in the blink of an eye.
Oh no! I had no idea. I'm so sorry to hear that your son has been so ill :(. I'm sending healing thoughts his way {{hugs}}.

This is my daughters second semester of co-op so no classes this semester just full time work. This time she is working in procurement for a pharmaceutical company. She has two more semesters of classes until graduation. Still dating same boy she met second week of college and going to key west next month for break. She works until July 1st then will have two months off until her last year of school. Probably her last free summer!

Oh my....I am so sorry about your son. Keeping you both in my prayers, and wishing him a complete recovery. Thank you for the reminder to not take what's most important for granted. Sending hugs your way. :hug:

I am so sorry to hear this! Prayers and hugs to your son and your family. I hope he heals soon and can get back to his life.

I'm so sorry AustinTink! I hope your son has a full recovery and is able to return to school!
HUGS!! :grouphug:

@AustinTink I don't post in this thread but saw your post about your son. I'm so sorry. I pray he makes a full recovery and can get back to school. Big hugs to your family as you work your way through this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter