Parents of the High School Class of 2017/College 2021

My son has been bedridden since December 24th and had to withdraw from school. He started physical therapy last week to learn to move his body again. We hope he will be able to return to school in the fall. Never take a moment of your child's life for granted. It can all change in the blink of an eye.
I am so sorry. That is horrible. I hope that he recovers well and is back to school in the fall.

Welp ... tomorrow will be the last face-to-face classes for my DD's school (the University of Wisconsin) until April 10th. Everything will be online when she comes back from Spring Break. Speaking of which, she's still planning to go to Mexico on Saturday. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm pretty sure she'll be OK, but I afraid that the president may close our borders and they won't be able to fly home. She's going with her boyfriend's parents and I'm leaving things up to them without any pressure from me. I told her to take her laptop with her in case she gets stranded and she needs to to her work from there.

My son has been bedridden since December 24th and had to withdraw from school. He started physical therapy last week to learn to move his body again. We hope he will be able to return to school in the fall. Never take a moment of your child's life for granted. It can all change in the blink of an eye.
So very sorry to hear about your son. Prayers for healing for him and comfort, strength,and peace for you as well. Hugs to you and your son.

Welp ... tomorrow will be the last face-to-face classes for my DD's school (the University of Wisconsin) until April 10th. Everything will be online when she comes back from Spring Break. Speaking of which, she's still planning to go to Mexico on Saturday. I'm not sure how I feel about it. I'm pretty sure she'll be OK, but I afraid that the president may close our borders and they won't be able to fly home. She's going with her boyfriend's parents and I'm leaving things up to them without any pressure from me. I told her to take her laptop with her in case she gets stranded and she needs to to her work from there.
My daughter's school, Virginia Tech, just made the same announcement. They are on Spring Break now. DD is in Daytona Beach with 40 friends at the moment. I'm not really sure what they are planning to do about dorms and dining halls. They said those will be open for now. This seems pretty silly to me - cancel live classes of 30 to 200 people, but leave kids living in dorms of 500 people???!!! What the heck is that supposed to solve? They've said more info about dorms and dining halls will be forthcoming later this week. DD is bummed. She's a junior, but her boyfriend is a senior. What a terrible last semester!

DS graduated last year, so this doesn't affect him - His school, University of Virginia, just went to online classes and will close it's campus until 4/5/20 at which time they will reassess. They want everyone (including off campus kids) gone by Sunday! They told the students to pack enough to get through the whole semester. That makes more sense than what VT has announced.

While I'm sad about this, I do believe that is a necessary part of the extraordinary measures that the US must put in place to insure that our hospitals don't get over run like Italy's. This is exactly how South Korea and Singapore have slowed down the spread of the virus and kept more people alive.

Last edited:

My daughter's school, Virginia Tech, just made the same announcement. They are on Spring Break now. DD is in Daytona Beach with 40 friends now. I'm not really sure what they are planning to do about dorms and dining halls. They said those will be open for now. This seems pretty silly to me - cancel live classes of 30 to 200 people, but leave kids living in dorms of 500 people???!!! What the heck is that supposed to solve? They've said more info about dorms and dining halls will be forthcoming later this week. DD is bummed. She's a junior, but her boyfriend is a senior. What a terrible last semester!

DS graduated last year, so this doesn't affect him - His school, University of Virginia, just went to online classes and will close it's campus until 4/5/20 at which time they will reassess. they want everyone (including off campus kids) gone by Sunday! They told the students to pack enough to get through the whole semester. That makes more sense than what VT has announced.

While I'm sad about this, I do believe that is a necessary part of the extraordinary measures that the US must put in place to insure that our hospitals don't get over run like Italy's. This is exactly how South Korea and Singapore have slowed down the spread of the virus and kept more people alive.

My DD goes to VT as well. And is at WDW with others from VT right now. I am not surprised they are extending break or moving to online, but am surprised that this will last through the rest of the semester. She is waiting to hear from individual professors.

Northeastern going online starting tomorrow. My daughters work co-op is mandatory work at home starting tomorrow until April 1 so I am driving up tp Boston Saturday to get her-I don’t want her on a train or plane right now.

Blue Cross has decided to cancel my son's health insurance since he got it through the university and he had to withdraw. They are not only canceling it, but making it retroactive to 12/31/19. Life just keeps getting better and better.

Oh, AustinTink, that is awful. I am so sorry he lost his coverage. This must be so scary and overwhelming for you all.
I hope you are able to add him back to your health coverage going forward, even though it won't go back to the end of 2019.
I hope and pray you son's health improves and he is able to make a full and complete recovery. And I hope life gets back on track for you all. :hug:

Oh, AustinTink, that is awful. I am so sorry he lost his coverage. This must be so scary and overwhelming for you all.
I hope you are able to add him back to your health coverage going forward, even though it won't go back to the end of 2019.
I hope and pray you son's health improves and he is able to make a full and complete recovery. And I hope life gets back on track for you all. :hug:
Thank you so much. This has been an overwhelming 3 months for our family. There hasn't been a day in those 3 months that I haven't cried. I just want my son to be well. His health is all that matters.

Thank you so much. This has been an overwhelming 3 months for our family. There hasn't been a day in those 3 months that I haven't cried. I just want my son to be well. His health is all that matters.
:grouphug:

Blue Cross has decided to cancel my son's health insurance since he got it through the university and he had to withdraw. They are not only canceling it, but making it retroactive to 12/31/19. Life just keeps getting better and better.
OMG. That is evil.

Can you retroactively add him to your insurance?

No luck with that, unfortunately.
I have a friend who had some of her college aged DD’s physical therapy paid for under a special program through the University of Wisconsin hospital system. It pissed me off that she took they money even though the DD is insured and they are well off. I would suggest you contact the clinic/hospital social workers to see if there is a program that may help you.

it makes sense that his health insurance would be canceled but it doesn’t seem right that they would tell you that he’s covered and then retroactively take that coverage away.

My DD goes to VT as well. And is at WDW with others from VT right now. I am not surprised they are extending break or moving to online, but am surprised that this will last through the rest of the semester. She is waiting to hear from individual professors.
Is your DD coming home? When the announcement was made, my DD was in Florida on break. At the time, she’d said she wanted to stay up in Bburg with her friends for the rest of the semester. We didn’t want to ruin her fun by having the heavy conversation then, so we waited until yesterday, her check out day, to tell her she had to come home. I think most of her friends’ parents have said the same thing because she didn’t give us any pushback and said she’d be home the next day.

She was supposed to get here today, but it will probably be tomorrow because they got delayed last night. A tire blew on their way home in South Carolina at 9:30 last night. No garages were open. AAA put the donut tire on; they drove to a hotel, spent the night and got a new tire put on this morning. They are back on the road now and are exhausted. It’s at least 3+ hours to Bburg, pack up and 3.5 hours home. She might wait until tomorrow to come home.

Keep your families healthy everyone. It’s going to be a bumpy couple of months

U of I sent out email rest of classes for spring 2020 all will be online and they are setting up days for students to allow them to clean out dorm rooms. DD has done some online classes and she has been disciplined to complete assignments on time; so for her, she should be fine.
DD boss is allowing her to work from where she is.
What will remain to be seen now is, will her civil engineer internship still be in play for end of May in Chicago and she herself secured rooming from the University of Chicago a dorm room; that deposit needs to be paid soon. She told me she was going to email them to ask if the internship falls through might they reimburse her the money.

University of Wisconsin cancelled all in-person classes through the end of Spring Break. I wonder if they're going to give grades or just have everything Pass/Fail.

DD goes to school in Ca . Last week they announced that they were going to do virtual instruction learning until April 19th. This week was spring break. This week she got a notice virtual learning will take place the rest of the semester. University is giving the students the option to move out or stay . I think they are hoping they all move out. No fees and refunds , not having to pay for April and May and $100 on parking pass. We will be moving her out this weekend.

Worried about DD's new job now. It is heavily dependent on high school sports and of course there are none. Yesterday the boss said he might lay off three out of the seven. She is not one of them, but they are all questioning whether the business can survive a season or more off. I sent DD a link to the state's new grants for small business.

In the meantime, they have designed 4 "positive message" t-shirts to sell online but I'm afraid they just don't have the online presence to sell many.

Worried about DD's new job now. It is heavily dependent on high school sports and of course there are none. Yesterday the boss said he might lay off three out of the seven. She is not one of them, but they are all questioning whether the business can survive a season or more off. I sent DD a link to the state's new grants for small business.

In the meantime, they have designed 4 "positive message" t-shirts to sell online but I'm afraid they just don't have the online presence to sell many.
My DD lost her job as a swim instructor for the city and she lost her internship working with people with disabilities on horseback. The internship was through school and for credit. We paid for the 3 credits of the class and she was required to work 40 hours per credit. Unfortunately, she doesn't have 120 hours in yet! She intentionally took a light semester so she would have time to work at her internship. I really hope that they waive the work hour requirement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter