Passport required for Fantasy 7 night?

Like everything in life,
It's better to have it and not need it,
then need it and not have it.

You can get a passport in 48 hours,
yes, to do it last minute there is a cost, but it is money well spent

We have done it many times, and yes you can on a closed loop.

There is a lot of fear mongering on this board regarding passports. Those folks who had the extreme happen are not just now living in the Bahamas because they didn't have a passport (and after the extremes I had to go through just to GET a passport for our last trip, you'd be hard pressed to convince me it was much harder to get the temporary one through the US embassy to get home).
It's cheap insurance. A US passport is $165 and good for 10 years. Last thing I want to be worrying about if I'm sick is how to get a temporary passport so I can get home.

Sometimes people just want an answer to a simple question, not a debate.
Well, to be fair, this is a "discussion forum." When you want an (official) answer to a simple question, it really is best to check the DCL website to see what is required. I typically come here to, well, discuss and I think that's really all anyone was doing. Discussing.

It's a choice between that or cancelling the cruise after PIF because his passport is missing (and due to special circumstances cannot be replaced in time), so it's not so easy as you make it sound.
You did’t ask a anything about the country of issuance of the birth certificate. You probably should care. It js relevant. According to the CPB, it must be US state-issued birth certificate. The individual must be a U.S. citizen.

“U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as an Enhanced Driver's License (EDL), a government-issued birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) or passport, and if 16 or older, a government issued driver's license, picture ID, denoting photo, name, and date of birth. The Enhanced Driver's License (EDL) allows you to re-enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean. The EDL is only accepted at land and sea border crossings, not for air travel. An U.S. citizen under the age of 16 will be able to present either an original, notarized or certified copy of his or her birth certificate, aConsular Report of Birth Abroad issues by Department of State, (DOS) and/or Certificate of Naturalization issued by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).“https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article-74?language=en_US

It's a choice between that or cancelling the cruise after PIF because his passport is missing (and due to special circumstances cannot be replaced in time), so it's not so easy as you make it sound.
Since it’s only one person that won’t have a passport I feel that your risks are fewer then if it was the whole group. Though try to avoid sports injuries during the trip and adventures that have risk of injuries. Have a nice trip. Also you could send in a request for replacement and if it’s “in the mail” the government could possibly help you should you need it. Especially since he technically has a valid passport (somewhere). Any chance you had a photo taken of it to send to DCL for your last cruise?

you know the saying of if it zips doesn't mean you should wear it.
same thing here, just because you can doesn't mean you should.
id literally explore every possible avenue before settling to go with just BC and ID/DL.

my son on our first cruise, was in med bay 3 times. for perspective it was a 3 night cruise. If any of those issues he had were bad enough to need to get back home and we didn't have one, it would have been bad

You did’t ask an anything about the country of issuance of the birth certificate. You probably should care. It js relevant. According to the CPB, it must be US state-issued birth certificate. The individual must be a U.S. citizen.

And if it’s a Puerto Rico birth certificate it must have been issued on or after July 1, 2010. Someone on another forum I follow couldn’t board his cruise because he asked about birth certificates but never mentioned his wife’s was from Puerto Rico, so they weren’t told and didn’t know of this exception.

Can a person cruise a typical closed-loop Fantasy 7-night Western Caribbean cruise if they don't have a passport, and instead have a birth certificate and state ID?
Watch some recent cruise vloggers on youtube and see why you should consider getting your passport. You may be able to cruise without one but if something happens and you are left behind because of an injury/accident/you miss the boat you may have a really hard time getting home without proper documentation. i.e. you can cruise to Cozumel with a birth certificate, but if you need to get back home from there - you need a passport. Make the investment in a passport. By the time you average it out over the life of the passport it is only a couple dollars a month to not have to worry.

This is not "fear mongering" but reality. None of us ever plan to get hurt, have a medical emergency, get caught up in an accident (cruise sponsored or on your own) but things happen. I always believe the best way to avoid problems is to be prepared in advance. Just my 2 cents.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter