• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Passport required for Fantasy 7 night?

Cheburashka

Momketeer
Can a person cruise a typical closed-loop Fantasy 7-night Western Caribbean cruise if they don't have a passport, and instead have a birth certificate and state ID?

This seems like the old..
“Should I get a passport, when I only need a birth certificate?”
My very first cruise, three different people or groups of people did not go home on our ship. One lady got hit by a taxi in Mexico just off the port. Another broke his ankle bad on the ship’s basketball court enough that he had to stay in the hospital. And another person from the same cruise had intestinal bowel obstruction and had to be taken to the nearest island and man, did that ship haul some serious, butt!!
I’m not sure they did that tight of a turned on their sea trials!
I think the real question is, are you willing to risk not being able to fly home if you are detained in another country. Because you can’t get into America through flight if you don’t have a passport. But you can get home with a birth certificate through other methods.

Can a person cruise a typical closed-loop Fantasy 7-night Western Caribbean cruise if they don't have a passport, and instead have a birth certificate and state ID?
GENERALLY, a US citizen, on a closed loop cruise (begins and ends in the same US port) can travel with a birth certificate (actual county/state issued birth certificate, not the hospital issued one), and a Government-issued photo ID.

That said, there are cruise lines that require passports for all cruises, regardless of the actual legal requirements.

Technically yes, since your cruise is a round trip from the United States. However, if something were to go wrong and you didn't have a passport with you, it really complicates things.

I think it's pretty easy to answer this. In most cases you can cruise on a closed end from a US port without a passport. But the response from TV Guy is 100% spot on.

Can you drive your car without a seatbelt, texting on your iPhone, and eating a burrito from Taco Bell? Yes. But should you... NO.

I’ve been on many cruises, we only use BC/DL. Yes we take the chance but never plan on going anywhere that needs a passport.

Can you? Yes. Should you? No.
It's a choice between that or cancelling the cruise after PIF because his passport is missing (and due to special circumstances cannot be replaced in time), so it's not so easy as you make it sound.

It's a choice between that or cancelling the cruise after PIF because his passport is missing (and due to special circumstances cannot be replaced in time), so it's not so easy as you make it sound.
You left that out of your original post.

We have done it many times, and yes you can on a closed loop.

There is a lot of fear mongering on this board regarding passports. Those folks who had the extreme happen are not just now living in the Bahamas because they didn't have a passport (and after the extremes I had to go through just to GET a passport for our last trip, you'd be hard pressed to convince me it was much harder to get the temporary one through the US embassy to get home).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter