Pasta Recipe Thread

JodyLynC

DIS Veteran
I know that pasta gets a bad rap what with all the carbs and such, but sometimes nothing is better than a good pasta meal. Please post your pasta recipes here.

Barbecue Chicken Pasta
16 oz bowtie, penne, or mostaccioli pasta
1 Tbls Olive Oil
3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cup green pepper, thingly sliced
1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup spaghetti sauce
1/2 cup barbecue sauce
1 cup grated provolone or Monterey Jack cheese

Prepare pasta per package directions. Reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water. In large skillet, heat oil. Add chicken and saute, stir occasionally until browned on all sides. Add sliced bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Cook till pepper turns bright green (1 minute). Add sauces. Simmer. Remove from heat. Add in cooked, drained pasta. If sauce is too think use some of the pasta water to thin. Top with cheese.

Buffalo Chicken Pasta

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
1 to 2 tsps paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 to 2 Tbls Olive Oil
Hot Sauce
1 cup celery, chopped
1/2 cup red onions, sliced
1 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup blue cheese dressing
3/4 cup milk
16 oz of your favorite pasta, cooked and drained

Sprinkle chicken with paprika, garlic powder, and pepper. Saute chicken in Olive Oil till done. Add as much hot sauce as you desire. Remove chicken from skillet. Add celery and onion to skillet and saute. In a bowl, combine mayo, dressing, and milk. Add to skillet. Add in chicken and heat through. Add in pasta.

Barilla Plus Pasta is the ONLY pasta I eat now as it is made specially to be high protein and low in carbs. Barilla Plus is made with chick peas & other high protein, fiber & Omega 3 ingredients. Yet it tastes like regular pasta. :cheer2: It is a better choice for anyone who would still like to eat pasta, but not all the carbs. And it does NOT taste like boiled cardboard the way "whole wheat" pastas do. :p You do have to cook it a bit longer than regular pasta.

You can check the chart for the ratio of protein, fiber & Omega 3's vs. other foods:
Barilla Plus pasta. It is more expensive than regular pasta, but in exchange for buying/adding less of other protein fodds, it's probably still less expensive - and more heart healthy & filling.

As it is a great protein replacement, you can actually use less meats in a dish. You can add cooked chicken to the Rotini (corkscrew) pasta & salad greens to make a chicken pasta salad.

If you make a simple tomato spaghetti sauce, you can still know you are getting a lot of protein, without making a more expensive meat sauce. Or you can make a paata primavera (pasta & veggies) drizzled with olive oil, garlic, S&P, and still get a good amount of protein.

B000BXKVIM.01-A3CDPEGSIQM61V._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40346009_.jpg

Here's a super easy Sesame Noodle recipe to make with the Barilla PLUS Pasta :cool1:

Recipe courtesy Rachael Ray

Sesame Noodles

1 tablespoon peanut butter
2 tablespoons soy sauce
Pinch cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1/3 pound thin spaghetti, cooked to al dente, drained** and cooled
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 scallion, chopped

** I also added 1 tablespoon of the pasta water to the sauce to help make it "move" and adhere to the spaghetti instead of staying in a thick glob.

Whisk peanut butter, soy, cayenne, oil and sesame oil. Add noodles and toss to coat. Sprinkle noodles with sesame and scallion to garnish.

Alternately, you can use tahini if you do not have sesame oil. Just cut down on the peanut butter.

Smoked salmon pasta

Cook the pasta as needed, but 5 mins before the end of the cooking time throw in some green beans (the long thin ones, cut inot 1" lengths). Drain, reserving some cooking water, and add 4 oz low fat soft cheese (eg Philadelphia), the torn up smoked salmon (about 4 oz for 4 people), some dried dill and seasoning. Stir in a little of the pasta water to loosen and stir until the cheese is melted and you have a lovely creamy dish. Yummy!

What a great idea for a thread! :teeth:

Mostly I just open a jar of sauce (red for meatballs or white for salad shrimp) when we want pasta. It’s an easy meal for days I’m too busy to think about something else. But I always make the full box of pasta because I can never tell how hungry people are going to be. Usually there is enough leftover to have as a side dish another night.

A number of years ago there was an Italian deli near where I worked & they made the best “oil & garlic” pasta! It took quite a while to convince me to even try it, because it just sounded…odd. No protein, just carbs. It took a while to re-create it here at home & use it as a side dish with the leftovers. For that I just heat some minced garlic in olive oil. (roasted is best, but plain will do in a pinch) Add some anchovy paste, crushed red pepper flakes, parsley, Parmesan cheese & the pasta. [ETA: If I have an open bottle of wine in the refrigerator, I'll add a splash of that as well.] Toss it well & heat only until the pasta comes up to temp. We add freshly ground black pepper at the table. Occasionally I’ll add a tablespoon or so of Tastefully Simple’s pesto mix, since I don’t know what else to do with it. LOL I found the anchovy paste was the key ingredient to re-create the taste I was looking for. I picked that up on Rachel Ray one day & she’s right. You really don’t taste it outright.

Other things I make are:
= = = = = = = = = = = = =
Cajun Chicken Pasta

2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
2 tsp Cajun seasoning
2 Tbl butter or marg.
1/2 green & red pepper, cut into thin strips
4 to 6 large fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 green onion, chopped
1 to 2 c heavy cream
1/4 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp lemon pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp garlic powder
4 oz linguine or fettuccini, cooked
grated Parmesan

Cut chicken into thin strips, place in a ziplock bag with cajun seasoning. Toss to coat. In a large skillet, over medium heat, saute' chicken in butter until almost tender. Add veggies. Cook and stir until veggies are tender. Reduce heat. Add cream and seasonings and heat through. The cream will thicken as it heats. Add pasta and toss. Sprinkle with Parmesan.

Noodles Alfredo

8 oz wide egg noodles
½ c butter
½ c milk
1 c grated Parmesan
1 Tbl parsley flakes
½ tsp salt
dash pepper

Cook noodles & drain. Heat butter & milk over low heat. Stir in cheese, parsley, salt & pepper. Pour sauce over noodles & stir until coated.
USE LOW HEAT!!

Rainforest Cafe Rasta Pasta

8 oz bowtie pasta
1 tsp chopped garlic
2 Tbl olive oil
1 c chopped fresh spinach
1 c broccoli florets
1 medium red pepper, roasted
1 c grilled chicken, sliced into 1/2" pieces
1 c prepared Alfredo sauce
1/8 c prepared basil pesto sauce
1 tsp Italian seasoning
2 Tbl shredded Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain well and set aside. In a 10" saute pan, saute garlic in oil. Add spinach, broccoli, red pepper and grilled chicken. Toss to combine. Stir in Alfredo and pesto sauces. Simmer for 5 minutes. Reheat pasta if necessary. Pour pasta into bowl and top with vegetable/sauce mixture. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese.

And while I haven’t tried this one yet, I can’t wait to do so! It sounds wonderful! LOL
Seafood Pasta at Home
from Shells
Serves: 4

Pasta

1 lb linguine
1 oz butter
salt

Seafood Mix

4 oz mussel meat
6 oz Chopped Clams (cooked & drained)
10 oz Raw Scallops
12 oz Peeled Raw Shrimp

Sauce

4 oz Olive Oil
4 oz Dry Cooking Wine
8 cloves of Fresh Garlic -- finely chopped
Salt & Pepper
2 Dashes Soy Sauce
16 oz Heavy Cream

Cook linguine in salt water with butter until al dente; drain and set aside. Combine sauce ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Add cooked linguine and drained seafood mix. Stir gently, approximately 10 minutes, or until seafood is done and dish has a creamy consistency. Serve immediately.

Here's what i do if I'm just cooking for me

Cook 100g pasta accoding to instructions
meanwhile, chop a couple of tomatoes and put in a small frying pan with a drained tin of skinless boneless sardines, spoon of olive oil, maybe a chopped spring onion, some basil and a good couple of squirts of lemon juice, heating on a low to medium heat.

when the pasta is cooked, drain and add sardine mix and maybe a spoon of pesto, stir together and serve sprinkled with parmesan (it doesn't really go with sardines but I love it so much:lmao: )

Or if Ic an't be bothered just cook the apsta, stir through pesto and loads of parmesan and open a bottle of white wine:lmao:

Oh that sounds good! And you reminded me, I also add some wine to the oil & garlic pasta. I've edited that post to reflect that.

shrimp scampi style--serves 6-8

1 lb. pasta
1 ½ lbs. shrimp, peeled and deveined
6 cloves of garlic, finely minced
4 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
Juice and zest of one lemon
½ cup dry white wine
Salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch of basil, cut into ribbons

Cook the pasta in salted boiling water until just done. Drain and reserve some of the cooking water.

Meanwhile, melt the butter and oil together in a large skillet (big enough to hold the shrimp in one layer if possible) over medium heat. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until softened. Don’t let it get brown or it will taste bitter. Add the wine and reduce until the pan is almost dry. Turn the heat up to medium high and add the shrimp. Cook stirring and flipping, until the shrimp are just cooked through. Cut into one to check, they should be opaque all the way through and the tails should be curled. This will take about 5 minutes for large shrimp.

Once the shrimp are cooked, add the pasta and lemon juice and zest to the skillet and toss to combine. Stir in some of the reserved cooking water to make the sauce the consistency that you like. I usually use about 1 cup. Season with salt and pepper to taste, toss in the basil, and serve.

Photo:

547390490_fefd9fc5c0.jpg

This recipe was posted on the What's for Dinner thread a couple years ago. I made it as an appetizer this past Thanksgiving and everyone LOVED it. It is very rich so its great as a starter or side dish.

Creamy Pumpkin Pasta

Ingredients
1 lb penne
1 pkg. cream cheese, cubed
1⁄2 cup(s) parmesan, grated
1⁄2 cup(s) butter
1⁄2 cup(s) milk
1 cup(s) canned pumpkin
1⁄2 tsp chili powder
nutmeg to taste
Instructions
Cook pasta according to package directions.

Meanwhile, place cream cheese, parmesan, butter, and milk in large saucepan; cook on low heat until cream cheese is melted, stirring frequently. Add pumpkin and spices; cook until heated through, stirring occasionally.

Add pasta, toss lightly. Serve garnished with cheese and parsley, if desired.

Here is my sauce recipe...for pasta...;)

Here is my Tomato Sauce/Gravy recipe (makes 3 - 4 family servings...great to freeze):

4 oz salt pork, cut in 2 or 3 big pieces
1 lb country spare ribs
6 - 8 sausage links, I like a mix of hot and sweet
meatballs (I put mine in raw to cook in the sauce, but precooked can be added)
1 large onion, finely diced
6 - 8 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp red pepper flakes
2 bay leaves
1/3 - 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, dried is OK too
1/3 - 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1 TBS dry oregano (I never buy this fresh but you can)
2 bay leaves
6 oz tomato paste
2 28 oz cans crushed tomatoes
1 28 oz can puree
1 28 oz can sauce
water
salt and pepper to taste

Brown sausage in a pan and set aside (does not have to be cooked through - they will cook more in the sauce).

In an 8 quart pot, heat 1 - 2 tbs olive oil. Brown salt pork for about 5 minutes. Add ribs and brown on all sides for about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium/low.

Make room in the center of the 8 qt pot and add onions. Cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir constantly.

Add paste and "fry" for about 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of water and bring to a simmer. Add crushed pepper and 2 bay leaves.

Add all other tomatoes and 1/2 - 3/4 can of water, stir. Cut sausage to desired size and put in sauce.

Cover 3/4 of the pot with foil and simmer for at least an hour (2 - 3 hours is better). Stir every so often.

At this point, taste to see if salt is needed and discard salt pork (do not over salt since meatballs will be added later). You can remove the ribs as well. This is your choice. The rib meat starts to fall off the bone after a while and is really yummy. Just make sure to remove the bones.

Add parsley, basil and oregano. Stir. Simmer another 1/2 hour. Add meatballs and gently simmer for at least 30 minutes.

Then its ready to serve

oooh! The Smoked salmon pasta and the Creamy Pumpkin Pasta both sound really yummy! I like the idea of using Philadelphia cream cheese instead of a mayo base. Frankly, I'm tired of mayo based dressings, between tuna salad, chicken salad, salmon or shrimp salads. :p

And I love using pumpkin. Pumpkin puree - one cup: Vitamin A: 310% of RDA, Vitamin C: 20% of RDA, Potassium: 588 milligrams :thumbsup2

3-3/4 cups uncooked penne pasta
1 jar (6 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
1 tablespoon butter
2 jars (16 ounces each) sun-dried tomato Alfredo sauce
2 packages (9 ounces each) ready-to-use Southwestern chicken strips
2 cups oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped
4 green onions, sliced
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1-1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese
Directions:
Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute mushrooms in butter; set aside.
In a large bowl, combine the Alfredo sauce, chicken, tomatoes, green onions, pepper and reserved mushrooms. Drain pasta; stir into chicken mixture. Spoon into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until heated through. Uncover; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake 5-8 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 8 servings.

I halved the recipe when I made it this weekend and next time I think I'll try shredded mozzerella instead of Parm, but I will be making it again.

Ok, everyone has these fancy looking pastas (that look tasty by the way). Mine is an easy throw it together knockoff of a local restaurant favorite.

I cook refridgerated tortellini. Typically, I go all cheese or 1 pack cheese and 1 pack meat.

Heat up a jar alfredo sauce (sometimes adding more seasonings) and add any combo of the following. Peas, cooked bacon and canned mushrooms.

Not quite as good as the restaurants, but easy and tasty to get on the table quickly.

I love doing that too! Especially if the packets are on special offer - its like eating for half price:lmao:

I make another pasta that is super quick....less than 10 minutes from start to finish. It's best in the summer, when you can get the fresh tomatoes. Just take 2 or three tomatoes, about 10 leaves of fresh basil, salt and pepper to taste, and one tbsp. olive oil and combine in a food processor until smooth. Toss hot cooked pasta with this sauce and add in some cubes of fresh mozzarella. That's it! Here is a picture:

2700395843_657cd51744.jpg

Pasta Pan Lasagna

1 pound penne pasta
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 pounds lean ground meat
2 (26-ounce) jars spaghetti sauce, (your choice)
22-ounces ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1 pound shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 eggs, beaten

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a deep lasagna pan.
Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
In a large skillet over medium heat, crumble beef, and add garlic and onions. Cook until brown; drain. Stir in pasta sauce; remove from heat.
In a bowl, combine ricotta, 1 cup mozzarella, Parmesan cheese and beaten eggs. Stir until well combined.
In the prepared dish, layer 1/2 of cooked pasta, 1/2 of sauce and 1/2 of the cheese mixture. Repeat. Top with remaining mozzarella. Cover with foil.
Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Let set for 10 minutes then cut and serve. Makes 10 servings.

I got this from a friend who became a stepmom. It was her stepsons' favorite recipe and she had to get the recipe from their real mom.

2 T. Olive Oil
1 small onion, diced
1 clove garlic
Saute above incredients

Add and cook about 6-8 minutes:
1/2 lb. chopped or chopped up slices of pepperoni
1 can diced tomatoes

Mix in 1/4 cup milk

Toss and heat above mixture with 1/2 lb of cooked and drained rigatoni,:banana:

Well this is kind of embarrassing but I just posted a new thread with a great pasta dish I came across. Didn't see this thread first. Anyway, here is the recipe:

Spaghetti Beef Casserole

7 or 8 oz spaghetti
4 strips bacon
1 onion, chopped
1 lb. hamburger
1 tsp salt
1 (10oz) can tomato soup
1 (10oz) can mushroom soup
1/2 cup water
grated cheese

Cook spaghetti until tender. Set aside. Dice and fry the bacon then add onion and fry until transparent. Add meat and cook until eat begins to color. Drain spaghetti well and add meat mixture, salt, soups and water. Taste for seasonings. Spread in a greased 2 qt casserole or bake dish and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 for about one hour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter