• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Paying Dues with a Gift Card

KimMcGowan

Mouseketeer
Ok, so I just want to understand this a little better. Can I use a gift card to pay for our dues if I just want to pay them off totally? I have seen lots of people say they pay monthly with a gift card but do not think I have seen anyone comment on paying dues in full. I think our Sam’s Club has discounted cards, so if this is possible I could just buy a couple of cards there and then pay off my balance. I know, it is not big savings - but even saving a small amount would be nice. Can I do this online or will I have to call Member Services?

You can pay with gift cards, online. You might just have to do multiple partial payments since gift cards are limited at $1,000. Did it last year, no issue. Already bought gift cards to do it this year.

You can also pre-pay as a credit on your account from the cards.

Yes you can pay the full amount with gift cards. If you have multiple contracts, you must drill down to the contract you want to pay off. Then you can circle back and pay off the next one. If you try to pay off all contracts at once, you will not see the options you need.

Yep, no problem. I pay them in full each year with e-gift cards, I think the maximum amount for each card is $500, so you may need a few of different values to meet your dues total.

One thing to be aware of - you must use pay by contract if you are not using the full gift card amount. So if your balance is $400 and you are using a $500 gift card, do pay by contract, not pay in full, it will error. Pay by contract allows a dollar amount to apply.
Good advice there. I also no longer bother to combine my $500 cards to a single $1000 card first either. You can as suggested above just keep “circling back” to pay by contract and whittle it down $500 at a time.

No annual fee for the Target credit card. Now I just need to get into the DVC site to know what my dues are so I know how many Disney gift cards to buy. The site has been slow all day.

Ok, so I just want to understand this a little better. Can I use a gift card to pay for our dues if I just want to pay them off totally? I have seen lots of people say they pay monthly with a gift card but do not think I have seen anyone comment on paying dues in full. I think our Sam’s Club has discounted cards, so if this is possible I could just buy a couple of cards there and then pay off my balance. I know, it is not big savings - but even saving a small amount would be nice. Can I do this online or will I have to call Member Services?

It all adds up, especially if you have a decent amount of points. By my calculations this year, I have saved over $500 this year paying dues with gift cards instead of a credit card.

I usually apply it when I get it as I don't like sitting on a large amount of the gift cards. It'll credit the account and the team will automatically adjust it with the dues statement. The most recent one as an example I paid more than the dues were and I'm starting 2022 with ~$110 credit already.

Beginner's Mode:
Option 1: Target RED card gives a 5% discount.
Option 2: All the wholesale clubs are about ~4% discount. Combine that with a Chase or Discover rolling 5% Cashback for wholesale clubs, PayPal, etc. and you should land around 9% discount. These are the easiest ways to do it.

Intermediate Mode:
If you are up for a little more hassle, keep an eye out for credit card offers or discounted gift cards from sites like Raise or Cardcash.

Chase has a Rite Aid 10% offer right now as an example and you can use that to buy a Disney Gift card for 10% off. These frequently pop up for 10% at CVS, Gamestop, Bed Bath Beyond, Home Depot, Lowes, Staples, Office Depot, etc. etc. Be opportunistic about it and you'd be surprised how quickly it adds up.

You can combine these with Dosh or Rakuten for additional cash back. Some work on gift cards, some don't. So be careful with this, just consider it a bonus.

You can also then get into reward redemption for discounted gift cards, utilizing credit card rewards to stack, etc. etc. It just depends on how complicated you want to make it. But my general rule of thumb after a couple years of doing this is we look for at least a 10% discount for us to buy. A 15% discount is preferred and a 20% discount is a - grab as much as we can situation.

PSA: Best Buy has $50 Disney eGift Cards on sale for $45 right now. Instant 10% off. If you use a 2% cash back credit card, that's 12% off your annual dues.

The downside is they have to be ordered one at a time.
Thank you so much! We just ordered two, one at a time. Tried to order a third but were cut off because we had reached the limit. I'll try again tomorrow! If BB won't sell me more, we'll buy some from Target with our Red Card to get the 5% discount there.

PSA: Best Buy has $50 Disney eGift Cards on sale for $45 right now. Instant 10% off. If you use a 2% cash back credit card, that's 12% off your annual dues.

Thanks for the tip. I ordered two and hit the limit as well.

Thank you so much! We just ordered two, one at a time. Tried to order a third but were cut off because we had reached the limit. I'll try again tomorrow! If BB won't sell me more, we'll buy some from Target with our Red Card to get the 5% discount there.
Thanks for the tip. I ordered two and hit the limit as well.

Its limited per Best Buy account and not by address. So if you have a SO or kids who have accounts. They can grab some too.

Thank you, just went and ordered a few!

Just got 2 BB thanks to this thread. I had a 6% grocery cash back card, short-term/ no longer offered, and use it in conjunction with BJs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter