Paying on the cruise..

Carey_B

Dinglehopper
So I'm fully aware of the Key to the World card being used to make payments for pretty much everything on board the ship, it charging to the cabin etc.

However is there any alternative to this whatsoever?? The only reason I ask is because I'm going with my sister who is, let's politely say, not good with money and this will be connected to my card.

How do people usually go about sorting out the payments? I'm guessing there's no way to have separate cards or anything like that?

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, it would just put my mind at ease to know if there's a way to control her spendings on my card while still being able to let our hair down and enjoy the holiday.

No. The cruise is a no-cash zone, save for room service tips. Nothing is equipped to take cash.

But you can have different people linked to different credit cards, even if staying the same stateroom. When you do online check-in, you "sign" for your financial responsibilities to whomever you want - it may be everyone on your reservation or only yourself.

So I'm fully aware of the Key to the World card being used to make payments for pretty much everything on board the ship, it charging to the cabin etc.

However is there any alternative to this whatsoever?? The only reason I ask is because I'm going with my sister who is, let's politely say, not good with money and this will be connected to my card.

How do people usually go about sorting out the payments? I'm guessing there's no way to have separate cards or anything like that?

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question, it would just put my mind at ease to know if there's a way to control her spendings on my card while still being able to let our hair down and enjoy the holiday.
Each KTTW card can have it's own back up. You can put a credit card on yours, your sister's card could be tied to cash. Once her cash allotment is used up, she can no longer charge anything with her card. She would have to put additional cash on the card to charge again.

Or you can have the charge privileges turned off on her card. That way only you can charge things to your onboard account.

The final bill you get is broken out by KTTW card. Each person's charges are itemized.

You can attach different cards to each person.

Amazing!

Each KTTW card can have it's own back up. You can put a credit card on yours, your sister's card could be tied to cash. Once her cash allotment is used up, she can no longer charge anything with her card. She would have to put additional cash on the card to charge again.

Or you can have the charge privileges turned off on her card. That way only you can charge things to your onboard account.

The final bill you get is broken out by KTTW card. Each person's charges are itemized.

That is so good to know! Thanks for the information, total weight off my mind

Just want to double check...the Disney cruise is still using key cards for room access and payment. They have not gone to the wrist bands that are currently available at the land resorts? Any idea when they might change the cruises over to wrist bands?

This may not be a helpful answer, but what my wife and I have been doing on cruises the last few years, including Disney is to LOAD the account early in the trip. We attach a credit card to the KTTW card as you are required to, but then about the second day, take a couple $100 bills down and place them on the account. Then we charge as we need to, and keep an eye on the balance. Usually we run it down to zero that last night, and sometimes they will end up charging our Credit Card $15 - 20 by the end of the trip. That way there is no credit card shock the month after you get off the ship...

Tom in Okeechobee, FL

Just want to double check...the Disney cruise is still using key cards for room access and payment. They have not gone to the wrist bands that are currently available at the land resorts? Any idea when they might change the cruises over to wrist bands?
That is correct, and potentially never. Your key card has information printed on it that they would have to find another way to easily give you. One piece of that information is your muster drill station, which is nice to have on the card since you will always have it with you outside of your stateroom. That's not to say they won't, just that they seem to have decided for the time being that sticking with cards are the better option.

This may not be a helpful answer, but what my wife and I have been doing on cruises the last few years, including Disney is to LOAD the account early in the trip. We attach a credit card to the KTTW card as you are required to, but then about the second day, take a couple $100 bills down and place them on the account. Then we charge as we need to, and keep an eye on the balance. Usually we run it down to zero that last night, and sometimes they will end up charging our Credit Card $15 - 20 by the end of the trip. That way there is no credit card shock the month after you get off the ship...

Tom in Okeechobee, FL

This is what we have started doing the last couple of years. Also, I always get a credit card for the line we are sailing on and use it for everything right before our cruise and transfer the reward points to the OBC. That also prevents credit card shock at the end. It's always nice to walk off the ship with a credit card bill of less than $100!

Keep in mind that Disney will not ship MBs internationally due to regulations. Not sure what regs might apply on the cruise ship itself.

But to date, they haven't put MB readers onto doors on ship in annual dry dock, and it's not that tough to do. It is clearly a deliberate choice not to.

Keep in mind that Disney will not ship MBs internationally due to regulations. Not sure what regs might apply on the cruise ship itself.

But to date, they haven't put MB readers onto doors on ship in annual dry dock, and it's not that tough to do. It is clearly a deliberate choice not to.

I'm hoping they don't. Heck -- I'm old school and still remember hotels with room keys :rotfl2: Also, the key cards are easier to fit in a scrapbook than the magic bands ;)

Do they issue a card for every member of your party? Including minors? I do realize I can block minors from charging items to my account since I have already done this.

Do they issue a card for every member of your party? Including minors? I do realize I can block minors from charging items to my account since I have already done this.

Yes, every passenger, including children, will receive a Key to the World card, and is required to have his or her card scanned when getting on and off the ship.

Every card must be linked to a payment method during online check-in. As noted in previous posts, this can be the same for all cards in a room or different for some. If a room contains minors, the person doing online check-in needs to indicate the adult who will be financially responsible for the minor.

Excursions and gratuities are charged to individual cards for each person. As you mentioned, you will have the opportunity during online check-in to indicate whether or not to allow the KTTW card for a minor to be used for other onboard charges.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter